1,099

Huff looking forward to playing in a ‘real defense’

Free safety Michael Huff seems to have a little extra pep in his steps these days. He’s healthy again, he’s around his teammates and he finally gets a chance to play in a defensive scheme that highlights his abilities.
Huff is of the belief that the Raiders defense was too predictable in his first six NFL seasons and that late owner Al Davis’ heavy hand on the defensive philosophy and scheme limited the players’ ability to perform at peak level.
“We’re just looking forward to playing for a defensive head coach, getting to play a real defense,” Huff said in reference to defensive-minded head coach Dennis Allen. “So, I’m definitely looking forward to that this year.”
When pressed on what he meant by “a real defense,” Huff didn’t mince his words.
“Nothing personal but, obviously, before with Al (Davis), rest in peace, he had his hands in all the defense,” Huff said. “He had all his little things he liked to do. Now with D.A. out there, we got all kinds of blitzes, we got 3-4, 4-3 fronts, just a lot of different variety and a lot of different things going on. So, I’m going to love it.”
Huff’s role in the defense figures to be wide-reaching, with more blitzing, playing more cornerback and taking on a role similar to that of Green Bay Packers cornerback Charles Woodson.
“That’s what it seems like, just a lot of variety and doing it all,” Huff said. “You never know where he’s going to line up at. He’s just out there making plays. Hopefully I’ll kind of emulate him and play like him.”
Huff said the Raiders defense was too predictable in the past. Now, opposing offenses are going to be forced to figure out what he and his teammates are doing from play to play.
Accomplishing this goal entails mixing up defensive fronts, well-disguised blitzes and a varied scheme. Allen has said in the past that he wants his defense to be “multiple.”
“Everybody knew,” Huff said. “I’m in the middle of the field, I’m in the post, we’re pretty much man-to-man on the outside, it was pretty simple. We really didn’t blitz much. We let our front four get after them. That’s how it was, so we dealt with it.”

Terrelle Pryor has spent most of the past 11 months or so learning what he can from the likes of Carson Palmer, Jason Campbell, Kyle Boller and Matt Leinart, as well as numerous Raiders coaches.
In his quest to absorb even more insight into the nuances of succeeding at quarterback in the NFL, Pryor reached out to former Raiders quarterback Rich Gannon.
“We’re talking in contact with Rich Gannon and we’re going to get together with him,” Pryor said. “We’ll create something that has to do with going by Knapp (Greg, offensive coordinator) and coach Flip’s (John DeFilippo, quarterbacks coach) scheme. Obviously I’m going to take the playbook and grab a couple of receivers, maybe some younger high school guys, maybe some NFL guys and just run the script that I have and have them run the same routes and go through my reads.
“Can’t get that enough. Like I said I don’t take a lot of reps so I have to rep it by myself even if it has to be with a ghost to do my footsteps that’s what I’ll have to do. I’ll get better. I’ll be working hard.”
Raiders coach Dennis Allen said Pryor is making consistent progress in his first full offseason. Pryor arrived via the supplemental draft in late August last year and spent most of his time catching up.
“He’s made progress,” Allen said. “Still a long way away, but he’s made significant progress and the thing that I’ve liked about him has been his demeanor and the way he’s been willing to work and get better. As long as he does that, he’s got enough athletic talent that eventually he’s going to become a player.”

Defensive tackle Travis Ivey suffered a concussion while lifting weights the other day, Allen said. Ivey got hit in the head by a weight bar. Ivey’s injury isn’t serious, according to Allen.
Linebacker Aaron Curry’s knees are bothering him, Allen said, so he was held out of practice Wednesday as a “precautionary” measure.
Wide reciever Denarius Moore spent the day watching practice from the sideline, while recovering from the right hamstring injury he suffered Tuesday.
Allen said that Moore will be fine and ready to roll by the start of training camp in Napa on July 29.

Middle linebacker Rolando McClain recorded an interception of a Palmer pass late in practice. Those are the kinds of plays Allen is counting upon from McClain in his third season.
McClain declined an interview request after practice.

Allen remains convinced that running back Darren McFadden is nothing short of 100 percent and ready to pick up where he left off last season before a foot injury ended his season after only seven games.
“He looks extremely good to me,” Allen said. “He looks fast. He looks explosive. He knows what to do. He knows how to do it. And as we all know the key is, can we keep this guy healthy? And if we can, I would expect him to have a good year.”
McFadden has looked sharp at practice since he returned in early May. There aren’t any lingering signs of the foot injury that forced him to miss most of the final 10 games, and he is doing everything one would expect from an elite back.
“I feel better and better every day, it seems,” McFadden said. “A lot of my soreness is gone. I don’t really get sore after one hard practice to the next. So that’s the good thing for me; it’s a good sign that I can go out there two or three days back-to-back and keep going.”
More important, McFadden said, he won’t enter training camp with any concern about his durability or status.
“It’s great to be able to do it because, coming back from an injury like that, a lot of it probably plays on your mind,” McFadden said. “You’re wondering if you can do the things that you did at first. Just being out here and running around, I see that I can do those things full speed, so I don’t think it will be a problem for me.”

With Moore sidelined most of the past two days, rookie Rod Streater received increased playing time in practice. Call it a reward for a job well done to this point, Allen said.
“He’s earned the right to get the reps,” Allen said. “He’s done a nice job. He’s a young guy. He’s continuing to improve but he’s obviously caught our eye enough to think he’s earned the right to get a couple of first-team reps.”
When asked for a scouting report, here’s what Allen said of Streater:
“He’s caught the ball extremely well, he’s run very good routes, he knows how to get open and he has been explosive as a receiver,” Allen said. “Again, he’s still a young guy, he’s still learning, he’s still making those rookie mistakes. But from an athletic standpoint, from a skill set standpoint, he’s really impressive.”

Steve Corkran

• TxRaider210

Criner> DVD no surprise there.lol

• mack-madden

my fav line from MR

“i love my black self”

that scht had me rolling for a week i kid you not.

• guest123

There was a time back in the day when Raiders were only mentioned with the Steelers and Niners when talking about rings. #7 on the list! We’re slipping!

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

The Beeech Dawg Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Brian the Genital, I easily surgically dissect you in anything sports, you silly little nerd

I already run circles around you
    ========================================

You smoke everyone else in “glossing yourself”. Other than that you blow like a Kardashian dudette.

• DMAC

DVD = poor man Buchanan

• Just Fire Baby

Deon Sanders???

He actually hit over .280 a few years and was the greatest return man in the history of football.

But he also couldn’t figure out how to steal bases with all that speed.

• mack-madden

i think chekwa has better technique and football instincts over DVD, but i love me some DVD since college.

Love me some Rich gordon too, dude use to RETURN KICKS at miami while playing TE.

i am a closet hurry cane and gatoer fan, even tho i like all pac 10…12 teams.

• http://demitassechicago.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Beeech Dawg, are you on twitter? If not, you should be. You could get a huge on following.

• Just Fire Baby

DVD can’t make in-flight adjustments on the ball.

I think it will be his death nail in this league.

• DMAC

Vegas

Stealing bases is not all about speed. Its getting that big lead and perfect jump.
    Rickey was not the fastest, but he sure knew when to take off and read a pitchers move.

• guest123

Stealing bases is as much a mental thing, trusting instincts as speed is. It’s not that different as ballhawking skills when tracking balls at awkward angles over the middle.

• mack-madden

time to grub

thai food it is.

what yall know about some papaya salad ! ! !

• guest123

909, I’m inclined to agree. You can’t teach instincts at this level. Raw athletisism counts for only so much and if you can’t make a play, you’re not for long.

• The Beeech Dawg

Twitter is for dweebs like Peemore Bust to broadcast their geometry test scores

I rely on the blog and hella word of mouth for free worldwide pub

Also all my girls at Spearmint Rhino sell my demos in the parking lot to drunk johns, so that covers my monthly Magnum expense

KEEPIN’ IT REAL LIKE SHAQUILLE O’NEAL

• guest123

Streater just beat Huff for a TD.

Time to show us what a real defense looks like Huffy!

• eastoaklandraider

Anyone care to comment on 879

• hwnrdr

Remember now, that is DR. O’Neal!

• DMAC

guest123 Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Streater just beat Huff for a TD.

Time to show us what a real defense looks like Huffy!
    ==========

No way that happens w/ Gio in there.
    lol
    Real talk!

• Just Fire Baby

Rickey got HUMONGOUS leads and dared pitchers to throw an offspeed pitch.

• DMAC

Just Fire Baby Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Rickey got HUMONGOUS leads and dared pitchers to throw an offspeed pitch.
    ========

The greatest lead off hitter of all time!!

• guest123

To prove the point on DVD, he just had a sure INT slip thru his hands. crisco fingers!

• http://demitassechicago.com Albert Bigelow Paine

The Beeech Dawg Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 12:45 pm
    Twitter is for dweebs like Peemore Bust to broadcast their geometry test scores

———-
    Your missing out. How are you gonna ever compete with Bieber if you aren’t on twitter?

• theghostronin79

5m Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL
    Leinart pass goes right into Van Dyke’s hands, though Van Dyke dropped the sure pick.

==================

Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL
    Pryor to Criner for touchdown. Strong throw, nice catch above head, with DeMarcus Van Dyke unable to contest pass
    ====================

DVD is in over his head. To top it all off, he can’t tackle to save his LIFE. He side steps and throws a lazy arm out there and gets spun around while Branch comes in to finish the job.

• guest123

I had a mint condition Rickey Henderson baseball card. Sold around his retirement. Book value was $135. I got $65 at the card collector shop in Vacaville. Now it’s worth like $9.

• Just Fire Baby

When I read scouting reports on DVD after we drafted him, I remember reading one that said he could have had 20 INT’s in college if he could catch.

Not sure if that was an exaggeration (I am sure to some extent) but it always stuck in my mind.

• TxRaider210

I know Sanders played both sports, but didn’t hit homers and run TD’s on a regular basis. jmo

Huffy gettin burned by a rookie..can I get a Schwinn?lol

• DMAC

$9?
    I wonder why it lost so much value?

• Just Fire Baby

LOL….G123

I have a Jeter gold rookie card that always hovered around $150 and once peaked over $200.

They go for around $4 on Amazon these days.

• guest123

Both backup QB’s are getting picked while CP3 is darting TD’s.

• Intrepid

Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL

McClain with nice coverage on McFadden in flat. Palmer forced to throw ball out of bounds.

• Just Fire Baby

I love the practice tweets that we all overreact to!!!!

One of my favorite blogging times of the year, lol

• DMAC

Romac will ball!

• guest123

baseball cards are bad investments. Might as well invest in used newspapers.

• theghostronin79

What else do we have to talk about this time of year?

• http://demitassechicago.com Albert Bigelow Paine

I have the coveted Barry Sanders rookie card. I’m sure that has decreased in value. I also have Jerry Rice’s rookie card.

• Just Fire Baby

Cards are collectibles, and you have to sell high when the time is around.

I think I got $50 for my Billy Ripkin Fck Face card, lol.

• guest123

Intrepid Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 12:53 pm
    Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL

********

Hear that McClain haters!

oh wait.

nevermind

• DMAC

guest123 Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 12:54 pm

baseball cards are bad investments. Might as well invest in used newspapers.
    ==========

I got a gang of cards from back in da day. I used to luv them.
    Shout out to my pops for spending that $$$ when I was a youngsta.

• http://demitassechicago.com Albert Bigelow Paine

I think I will hang on to my cards. Maybe they will worth something in 40 years.

• The Beeech Dawg

Beiber will be lucky if he can sniff 2 Kewl 4 Skool’s jock

I’ve seen shots of his gelled pubes from his early days, our pube ‘dos blow him away

Wait until you all see what Yamazaki, Famed Japanese Pube Styling Expert, does with our patches

Keep an eye on Entertainment Tonight all summer, wizzle

• DMAC

Do ya’ll remember the ol’ school garbage pail kids cards/stickers?
    Classic!!!!

• guest123

I still have my Topps Super Bowl 14 card in a shoebox somewhere, along with a bunch of mid 70′s football cards. Sistrunk, Hendricks, Branch, Stabler….probably have multiples of each.

• DMAC

Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 12:57 pm

=======

me 2.

Make sure you keep them MJ cards.

• guest123

*********

In 40 years, more likely to pushing up daiseys!

• Just Fire Baby

Casey Martin is swinging them.

I went to the Wednesday at Olympic in 1998, and watched Casey play with the cart.

• Method To My Madness

886.The Beeech Dawg Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I already run circles around you when it comes to mackin’ shorties, rapping, stand up comedy and smoking hella weed

So while you’re snuggling up to your dorm room fridge watching Forrest Gump, remember that The Beeech Diggity is out straight hustlin’ bizzies and stacking mad cheddar

YO WRECKS N EFFECT TAKIN’ OVER SO CAL THEN THE WORLD

******************************

The only surgical procedure you would know about is the ones you have sponsored for your tranny live in partners

You dont know schit about sports…..on my worse day you couldnt see me in that realm so just back down lackey. You’ve never discussed sports on here….just lame tails you have stoled from other people…you routine is clearly copied……..

stand up comedy? no never…you are not even funny at all….if you ever were on the stage the clown from the Apollo would come out with the cane dragging off as the crowd hurls objects in disgust of your presence….rapping? phaggot you cant rap at all….typing over a blog is not rapping…no one can hear your delivery or pitch….

mackin shorties? are in new york during the 90s or are we in 2012? No one uses that line anymore….you cant score with any woman and it is evidenced by you always talking about TRICKING off dough to strippers. Real playas dont gotta pay to LAMBO a bz….and bizzies? Come on man at least get it correct if you gonna try and steal it…I’m first omn here to use the BEEZY line….see its BEEZY not BIZZY….stupid closet fk

Wow the dorm fridge schit again…I dont know if you can read well but I dont live at that house…and maybe you dont know but big refridgerators are in the kitchen…and Forrest Gump is dope…Tom Hanks is a Raider and A’s guy from OAKLAND…you know…home of the RAIDERS!

Hustle? Haha you couldnt hustle a blind old person let alone sane people out here in the regular world

Smoking weed? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA you live in SoCal….therefore you lose in the weed department and its not close…even SoCal guys know NorCal tree game schits all over your dirt weed

Beecher instead of worrying about the great B auce…you outta worry about what John your hooker tranny girlfriend is serving up without protection….we all dislike you but we dont want you to die of AIDS…..bet you prolly already got the MONSTER and refuse to take your AZT or interferon

• Method To My Madness

940.The Beeech Dawg Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 12:58 pm
    Beiber will be lucky if he can sniff 2 Kewl 4 Skool’s jock

Keep an eye on Entertainment Tonight all summer, wizzle

**************************

Haha and this guy macks bzies? Talking about young boys private area lmao….beecher is one sick fk

• DMAC

DAMN! B
    You just Ethered Beech.

• Method To My Madness

935.Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 12:54 pm

*********************

shut up you fkin jcat with your card nonsense

• Method To My Madness

948.DMAC Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 1:04 pm
    DAMN! B
    You just Ethered Beech.

************

I alwasy ether Beech and everyone who dares to step to the B auce…he was a no show in 2011…that lets ya know all ya need to about Btch Dawg