Huff looking forward to playing in a ‘real defense’

By Steve Corkran
Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 at 2:43 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Free safety Michael Huff seems to have a little extra pep in his steps these days. He’s healthy again, he’s around his teammates and he finally gets a chance to play in a defensive scheme that highlights his abilities.
Huff is of the belief that the Raiders defense was too predictable in his first six NFL seasons and that late owner Al Davis’ heavy hand on the defensive philosophy and scheme limited the players’ ability to perform at peak level.
“We’re just looking forward to playing for a defensive head coach, getting to play a real defense,” Huff said in reference to defensive-minded head coach Dennis Allen. “So, I’m definitely looking forward to that this year.”
When pressed on what he meant by “a real defense,” Huff didn’t mince his words.
“Nothing personal but, obviously, before with Al (Davis), rest in peace, he had his hands in all the defense,” Huff said. “He had all his little things he liked to do. Now with D.A. out there, we got all kinds of blitzes, we got 3-4, 4-3 fronts, just a lot of different variety and a lot of different things going on. So, I’m going to love it.”
Huff’s role in the defense figures to be wide-reaching, with more blitzing, playing more cornerback and taking on a role similar to that of Green Bay Packers cornerback Charles Woodson.
“That’s what it seems like, just a lot of variety and doing it all,” Huff said. “You never know where he’s going to line up at. He’s just out there making plays. Hopefully I’ll kind of emulate him and play like him.”
Huff said the Raiders defense was too predictable in the past. Now, opposing offenses are going to be forced to figure out what he and his teammates are doing from play to play.
Accomplishing this goal entails mixing up defensive fronts, well-disguised blitzes and a varied scheme. Allen has said in the past that he wants his defense to be “multiple.”
“Everybody knew,” Huff said. “I’m in the middle of the field, I’m in the post, we’re pretty much man-to-man on the outside, it was pretty simple. We really didn’t blitz much. We let our front four get after them. That’s how it was, so we dealt with it.”

Terrelle Pryor has spent most of the past 11 months or so learning what he can from the likes of Carson Palmer, Jason Campbell, Kyle Boller and Matt Leinart, as well as numerous Raiders coaches.
In his quest to absorb even more insight into the nuances of succeeding at quarterback in the NFL, Pryor reached out to former Raiders quarterback Rich Gannon.
“We’re talking in contact with Rich Gannon and we’re going to get together with him,” Pryor said. “We’ll create something that has to do with going by Knapp (Greg, offensive coordinator) and coach Flip’s (John DeFilippo, quarterbacks coach) scheme. Obviously I’m going to take the playbook and grab a couple of receivers, maybe some younger high school guys, maybe some NFL guys and just run the script that I have and have them run the same routes and go through my reads.
“Can’t get that enough. Like I said I don’t take a lot of reps so I have to rep it by myself even if it has to be with a ghost to do my footsteps that’s what I’ll have to do. I’ll get better. I’ll be working hard.”
Raiders coach Dennis Allen said Pryor is making consistent progress in his first full offseason. Pryor arrived via the supplemental draft in late August last year and spent most of his time catching up.
“He’s made progress,” Allen said. “Still a long way away, but he’s made significant progress and the thing that I’ve liked about him has been his demeanor and the way he’s been willing to work and get better. As long as he does that, he’s got enough athletic talent that eventually he’s going to become a player.”

Defensive tackle Travis Ivey suffered a concussion while lifting weights the other day, Allen said. Ivey got hit in the head by a weight bar. Ivey’s injury isn’t serious, according to Allen.
Linebacker Aaron Curry’s knees are bothering him, Allen said, so he was held out of practice Wednesday as a “precautionary” measure.
Wide reciever Denarius Moore spent the day watching practice from the sideline, while recovering from the right hamstring injury he suffered Tuesday.
Allen said that Moore will be fine and ready to roll by the start of training camp in Napa on July 29.

Middle linebacker Rolando McClain recorded an interception of a Palmer pass late in practice. Those are the kinds of plays Allen is counting upon from McClain in his third season.
McClain declined an interview request after practice.

Allen remains convinced that running back Darren McFadden is nothing short of 100 percent and ready to pick up where he left off last season before a foot injury ended his season after only seven games.
“He looks extremely good to me,” Allen said. “He looks fast. He looks explosive. He knows what to do. He knows how to do it. And as we all know the key is, can we keep this guy healthy? And if we can, I would expect him to have a good year.”
McFadden has looked sharp at practice since he returned in early May. There aren’t any lingering signs of the foot injury that forced him to miss most of the final 10 games, and he is doing everything one would expect from an elite back.
“I feel better and better every day, it seems,” McFadden said. “A lot of my soreness is gone. I don’t really get sore after one hard practice to the next. So that’s the good thing for me; it’s a good sign that I can go out there two or three days back-to-back and keep going.”
More important, McFadden said, he won’t enter training camp with any concern about his durability or status.
“It’s great to be able to do it because, coming back from an injury like that, a lot of it probably plays on your mind,” McFadden said. “You’re wondering if you can do the things that you did at first. Just being out here and running around, I see that I can do those things full speed, so I don’t think it will be a problem for me.”

With Moore sidelined most of the past two days, rookie Rod Streater received increased playing time in practice. Call it a reward for a job well done to this point, Allen said.
“He’s earned the right to get the reps,” Allen said. “He’s done a nice job. He’s a young guy. He’s continuing to improve but he’s obviously caught our eye enough to think he’s earned the right to get a couple of first-team reps.”
When asked for a scouting report, here’s what Allen said of Streater:
“He’s caught the ball extremely well, he’s run very good routes, he knows how to get open and he has been explosive as a receiver,” Allen said. “Again, he’s still a young guy, he’s still learning, he’s still making those rookie mistakes. But from an athletic standpoint, from a skill set standpoint, he’s really impressive.”

• Just Fire Baby

But I can’t that…… back-stabbing!!!

Oh No!!!

• CJ Legend 34

And on a football field, Bo was the closest his generation came to having somebody like the great Jim Brown. The current generation doesn’t have anyone close to that.

————————-
    Agree 100%!!!!!!!

we actually have UPDATED Raiders football stuff to discuss and nobody gives a crap … haha

PM crew has arrived

• mack-madden

VEGAS,

i dont mind fakies, i prefer natural small ones.

but when you see her and if you looking up top, that is your bad my friend.

you would be missing out…

• Just Fire Baby

can’t *take* that…

My apologies to the Godfather

• DMAC

Mack

You from the west?
    What high school you go to? what year?

• Method To My Madness

996.The Beeech Dawg Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 1:27 pm
    Yo Brahs

Gettin’ ready to hit up Islands with the Certified Platinum Posse for Big Wave burgers and an undercover hand jiggity from this dope waitress

Always like a little rubby-rub with my Island Fries, mo hizzle

Then its back to the Beeech Diggity Party Pad to get hella silly on fresh margs

Then probably watch the Director’s Cut of Forrest Gump. Guess there’s 90 hours of bonus footage that shows Forrest actually running across Montana

FIZZLE FRY FRIGGITY FRESH

*******************

Lame as hell

• Raidernationdave

Let’s ask Brian Bosworth how good Bo was!Bo was this shiznizzle in his day.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

CJ Legend 34 Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Just Fire KNOWS NOTHING!!! About BO!!!!!

Live in person when this guy ran his legs were a blur. No lie!!! Upper body built like a LB. If he got less than 5 yards on any one carry it was a bad run even for a first down. He could score from anywhere on the field. For real!!! He was the MJ of football before he got hurt.

• TxRaider210

CJ Legend 34 Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 1:29 pm

————————-
    Agree 100%!!!!!!!

——————
    Bo Knows!

• Method To My Madness

1003.RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 1:30 pm

PM crew has arrived

*************

ok our DTs still suck…you happy?

• mack-madden

Method To My Madness Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 1:29 pm
    982.mack-madden Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 1:22 pm
    I grew up with most of the livewire here in the west.

been with stalin since baby wipers and diapers.

************
    lil cuz use to have kill shot hits

$$$$$$$$$$

thats my patna, but i havent kept up with his music lately.

he be around the hood every now and then.

all industry bizz threw me off… if you catch my drift.

• Just Fire Baby

***********************

Today reaffirmed everything I have been saying:

-DVD can’t cover
    -Leinart stinks
    -Pryor is still very shaky
    -Rolando is a beast

Did I miss anything?

• mack-madden

i went to macking ass clymonds ! ! !

mcclymonds high school

• DMAC

Just Fire Baby Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 1:32 pm

***********************

Today reaffirmed everything I have been saying:

-DVD can’t cover
    -Leinart stinks
    -Pryor is still very shaky
    -Rolando is a beast

Did I miss anything?
    =========

TD DHB!

• JLofty

You cannot say Bo Jackson wasn’t an awesome spectacle of a footballer. He was something to behold…
    I didn’t watch play too much baseball so I will withhold comment from that. Looked good on the highlights though!

• Just Fire Baby

Let’s ask Brian Bosworth how good Bo was

**************************

Seriously, ask the biggest bust at LB in NFL history?

Why don’t we ask Jamarcus Russell how good (insert average defensive lineman here) was?

• hwnrdr

I hope Criner and Streater (SP?) is also that way through TC and pre-season! Then we will have a good problem to have as far as the wr position goes!

• JLofty

Where’s the updated stuff?

• mack-madden

pinky best quality beside her big booty…

is that she has GREAT skin.

not talking skin color, but like no blemishes, silky smooth.

she talented too,

she took balet and played the violin.

we always were in “extra activites” together

our DTs still suck

***

@ ROG

Do you think Travis Ivey has a shot to replace John Henderson, or will rookie 6th rounder Christo Bilukidi seize the 4th DT spot by virtue of “being drafted by Reggie” ??

• DMAC

mack-madden Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 1:33 pm

i went to macking ass clymonds ! ! !

mcclymonds high school
    =========

I went to Fremont High. Tigers baby!
    I still remember those East/West Oakland battles at football games in Curt flood field.
    Mfka’s would throw bottles across the fence that would seperate the West/East.
    lol

• Method To My Madness

1011.mack-madden Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 1:32 pm
    Method To My Madness Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 1:29 pm
    982.mack-madden Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 1:22 pm
    I grew up with most of the livewire here in the west.

been with stalin since baby wipers and diapers.

************
    lil cuz use to have kill shot hits

$$$$$$$$$$

thats my patna, but i havent kept up with his music lately.

he be around the hood every now and then.

all industry bizz threw me off… if you catch my drift.

****************

hell yeah…cats dont be the same after a few years of fame mayne

Did I miss anything?

***

@JFB

Owen Schmitt > Marcel Reece

• Just Fire Baby

See, I told you my Bo comment would piss people off, lol.

Just my take. Baseball isn’t about “highlights” it’s about 13 game road trips and being consistant throughout it.

He was not.

NFL RB greatness is about staying healthy for sustained periods of excellence.

Again, he was not.

• mack-madden

ok well if you guys wanna talk practice tweets…

• The Beeech Dawg

Brian the Genital don’t get all pouty because I have the Forrest Gump Director’s Cut DVD and you don’t

Tell you what, come up with a few more hilarious tranny jokes and then try to remember the rules for throwing gang signs

Maybe then I’ll let you know how that long lost scene of Forrest spooning Jenny by the creek turns out

• Method To My Madness

McClymonds=king of the bay area…..no disputing it

• HayesDaze37

No doubt, Vegas — Bo wasn’t the best baseball player on his team. But, he was playing with guys who grew-up playing organized baseball. Bo grew-up running barefoot on dirt roads. Bo’s athleticism made up for his lack of experience.

I know what hype is (hey, I read this blog, among other things). Bo, the product, may have been over-hyped…but Bo, the athlete, wasn’t. He out-performed the hype in-person, one of the toughest things anyone can ever do.

• mack-madden

b,

it is the industry cats that take over your creativity, freedom and you dont even realize it…

and fame does play a lot of mind games with you.

but to tell the truth, j always been a little cocky bastard. i love him

• Just Fire Baby

@JFB

Owen Schmitt > Marcel Reece

********************************

I have always been with B on this one.

Reece at FB = Nelly Ball

Awesome in spurts and looks awesome, but not happening against tough, top-tier teams and in crunch time.

I hope he plays more TE this year and actually gets more carries.

• Method To My Madness

1026.The Beeech Dawg Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 1:38 pm

****************

gang signs? im not from LA….try again Btch Poodle

oh he has director’s cut of Forrest Gump….I’m soooooooooo jealous…my life will surely end that Btch Dawg turned a trick or three to get it…what will i do?

• DMAC

Method To My Madness Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 1:39 pm

McClymonds=king of the bay area…..no disputing it
    ========

Can’t say the same B. 2 much luv for Fremont High.
    The great Bill Russell did come outta Mac though.

• mack-madden

the shame about mcclymonds high school is that the best players in west oakland never played for the school.

they was all at home, never went to school, just getting loaded, playing videogames or out robbing or curb serving to make ends meet to pay they bills.

we have not, never seen west oakland best athletes.

• Method To My Madness

1029.mack-madden Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 1:40 pm
    b,

and fame does play a lot of mind games with you.

but to tell the truth, j always been a little cocky bastard. i love him
    **************

yeah ive seen him around…he a cool lil nga tho…i remember when he gave his cds out for free in vegas

• Just Fire Baby

Hayes,

Bo is now a world class chef and cross-bow fishermen, according to the “Where are they now” SI article from a few years back.

Pretty cool to be elite, even if for only a year or two, at 4 different things in your lifetime.

• http://demitassechicago.com Albert Bigelow Paine

You know what your problem is Brien? You have no sense of humor. Lighten up a bit bro.

• TxRaider210

HayesDaze37 Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 1:39 pm

—————————
    If I hadn’t seen Bo play in a Royals game at age 9, who knows if I’d have even started watching football. Dude was amazing to watch in person, and lead me to the Nation 21 yrs ago. So, for an athlete he did his ultimate job, getting a kid in to a sport he otherwise didn’t follow before he saw him play.imo

• Method To My Madness

1032.DMAC Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 1:41 pm
    Method To My Madness Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 1:39 pm

McClymonds=king of the bay area…..no disputing it
    ========

Can’t say the same B. 2 much luv for Fremont High.
    The great Bill Russell did come outta Mac though.

*****************

See the 2nd line? Yep McClymonds the king of the bay area sports scene for life

• Just Fire Baby

Who was the dude from Oakland that dunked over cars and J Kidd said was the best player ever from Oakland?

I think he ended up in the pokey, but I am sure you guys know massively more about him than me.

• DMAC

Hook

• http://demitassechicago.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Just Fire Baby Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 1:44 pm

——
    That was Brien Dixon.

• DMAC

Mitchell

• HayesDaze37

I won’t say where I went to HS…but, I will say some of our away games, even with police escorts, resulted in rock attacks/buses with broken windows. Visitors in the parking lots and stands weren’t safe at all…kind of like at a Niners game.

• hwnrdr

I didn’t get to see Bo live because I was still in Hawaii then, but watched him every chance I got when they broadcasted Raider games (In a heavy niner and Cowboy market at the time). he was amazing to watch! Still watch highlights, because he was perhaps the biggest “what if” story!

• Method To My Madness

1036.Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 1:43 pm

*******************

That’s a lie…whole blog seen my humor……on countless occassions as I roast you, the president of the V-card foundation, on the constant…been doing so for years

You problem is you have never hit any pssy…go get it done bro

• Just Fire Baby

My cousin covered Oaklnd High School hoops for a year or two for the Trib before he started covering the A’s and Giants.

Said it was pretty damn scary for a month, until everyone knew he was from the paper and people wanted to get in the news, so they bent over backwards for him.

• Method To My Madness

Just Fire Baby Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 1:44 pm

************

Hook Mitchell

• The Beeech Dawg

Yo Blog Brahs

Just popped an EPIC Beeech Diggity-style boner at Islands, almost passed out twice

Must be the lethal combination of a banana daiquiri and a Kona Pie that gave me the girth of John Holmes and the length of your average Clydesdale

Hit the waitress in both eyes before she quit and yelled something about moving back to Sweden

Yo, Beeech Diggity needs an ice pack, holla

• Method To My Madness

1041.Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 1:45 pm
    Just Fire Baby Says:
    June 14th, 2012 at 1:44 pm

——
    That was Brien Dixon.
    ****************

LMAO…thats pretty funny…i cant dunk anymore

• hwnrdr

Sure you can, B! That 2 bottles of clear that you left at our tailgate after it was done! LOL