2,676

Raiders wrap up final mini camp, break for 6 weeks

The Raiders concluded their third and final mini camp Thursday, with coach Dennis Allen excited about how much progress his players have made, just about every player healthy and the foundation laid for the training camp that starts in late July.
The players won’t be on the field again as a team until they arrive in Napa on July 29. At that time, Allen said he expects all 90 players on the roster to be at or near 100 percent and ready to pick up where they left off today.
“I was pleased with the progress,” Allen said. “Obviously, we’re not near where we need to be yet. It’s always going to be a work in progress, but I specifically thought over the last couple of days that I could kind of feel that we were kind of figuring out what we were asking them to do, and I thought the guys really responded over the last couple of days.”
Allen said he and his assistant coaches aren’t allow to discuss football with the players between now and training camp. Even so, they intend to be in contact with the players to keep tabs on them the next six weeks or so.
He left them with a detailed list of things they should be doing between now and the time they reconvene in Napa.
“I want them to make sure that they keep improving on what we already started,” Allen said. “We’re just laying a foundation for what we wanted to build here. We’ve got to make sure that between now and camp that we don’t just put football totally aside. We’ve got to keep making sure that we’re staying in condition, keep lifting weights as well as keep studying their notes and the playbook.”
Quarterback Carson Palmer said he got the message and that he already has plans to keep in shape, as well as honing his knowledge of the playbook.
“Go back through everything,” Palmer said of how he intends to spend the next six weeks or so. “Starting with protections. Everything starts with protections. (Allen) fired everything at us. There wasn’t really time to sit back and absorb little things here and there, little nuances of the running game, little nuances of redirecting protections and two minute and all these different situations.
“So [I’m] really going to break it down, starting with protections and then going through all the run game responsibilities on the quarterback because that’s obviously going to set the tone of games is with our run game.”

Defensive tackle Travis Ivey returned to practice after being cleared from the concussion he suffered while lifting weights a few days ago.
Safety Mike Mitchell, fullback Manase Tonga, wide recievers Denarius Moore, Eddie McGee and Louis Murphy, defensive lineman Dave Tollefson, linebacker Aaron Curry, tight end Brandon Myers and center Stefen Wisniewski were the only players who didn’t practice Thursday.

Second-year running back Taiwan Jones highlighted an impressive three-day showing with a run on which he juked cornerback Shawntae Spencer near the line of scrimmage, emerged into the secondary and blew past two other would-be tacklers down the left side line.
The Raiders are loaded with fast players. However, Jones’ speed just seems to be otherwordly, especially when he gets into the open field.

Veteran fullback Owen Schmitt worked with the first-team offense quite a bit Thursday. He is making a hard push for the starting job, it seems, even if it’s real early in the process.
Allen said Schmitt is one of the candidates for the short-yardage role filled by Michael Bush in recent years.

It wasn’t long ago that offensive coordinator Greg Knapp talked about the tight ends being an area of concern. Fast forward to today, Allen is impressed by how far that group has come in a short period of time.
“What was perceived to be an area of weakness coming in, I’ve seen some significant improvement,” Allen said. “I’m looking forward to seeing what they do in training camp.”
Myers, David Ausberry and Richard Gordon have done an impressive job as blockers and receivers, with coaches taking note along the way.
Myers has an edge in experience, though Ausberry and Gordon are viewed as promising players in their own right.
“I’ve been around here a few years,” Myers said. “It’s kind of the same as it has been in the past; we just kind of rotate. But yeah, I’m in there with the 1′s right now and just trying to prove to the coaches and my teammates that I can be there and I’m just trying to make plays when my name is called.”
Myers said he has heard the talk about the tight ends being a weak spot with this team.
“People might think that because we don’t have the big name at tight end, but we’ve got guys capable of competing and making plays and we’re going to be fine,” Myers said. “Everybody’s pushing each other. Once the season starts, the best guys will be on the field, helping the team contribute to a win.”

Allen said he likes what he sees with the players on his roster right now. Still, there’s always room for improvement, so more changes will be made whenever there’s a chance to add a player that has the potential to make the team better.
“Listen, I’m never going to be satisfied with where we’re at,” Allen said. “We’re always going to be looking to improve, so it’s like I said, it’s an ongoing process. We’re going to be looking throughout this five-week period until we get to training camp and we’re going to be looking for every way that we can to improve this football team.”

Allen sounds as if he couldn’t be anymore pleased with Palmer after seeing him perform the past two months or so.
“He’s been an outstanding leader,” Allen said. “He’s taken to the new system, has a good command of what we’re asking him to do. He’s coaching the young guys. You couldn’t ask for anything better than what we’re getting out of Carson right now.”
Allen also sees a fire in Palmer that signifies to him big things to come.
“He’s got a little bit of a chip on his shoulder,” Allen said. “He wants to prove he still belongs in this league and can play at an elite level. As with everything else it’s all about your mind-set, and his mind’s in the right place right now.”
Palmer said he feels comfortable in the new offense and with his teammates, whereas last season he arrived midway through and was forced to learn on the fly.
“Can’t wait for camp,” Palmer said. “We got a lot of good work in, and you never know what to expect as you’re coming out of this last mini camp after the OTA’s and offseason workouts. I can’t speak for everybody but I’m definitely pleasantly surprised with where we are.
“We got a lot done. We put in a lot. We executed very well, there weren’t a lot of mental mistakes. There were some young guys, some rookie guys that need to catch up but for a new offense, a new system, and really a new regime, we’re in a good place with this time coming off to get ready for training camp.”

Tollefson spent the past five seasons with the New York Giants, playing for strict disciplinarian Tom Coughlin. He said he sees a lot of similarities in the way Allen runs the show.
“There’s not a lot of bullcrap that comes out of his mouth, which is important,” Tollefson said. “There’s enough guys on this team and in the NFL, in general, that can smell crap, if a guy is just saying stuff to fill time. He doesn’t to that. As a young guy, coming in and being as sharp as he has, knowing what to do as a head coach is pretty impressive.”
In particular, Tollefson said he has been impressed about Allen’s approach to reducing penalties and turnovers. Allen has said that the Raiders will be smart and disciplined.
Saying those things in one thing, Tollefson said. Getting results is another. So far, Tollefson is convinced that Allen has the proper approach to accomplishing the desired goals.
For example. Allen is showing slides of players committing turnovers and penalties after practice. It’s another teaching tool that goes a long way and something that worked well for Coughlin the past five years, Tollefson said.
“That’s something that Coughlin was huge on, showing us what he’s talking about,” Tollefson said. “If you turn the ball over and you get penalties, you will lose games and won’t make it to the playoffs. (Allen’s) done a good job of that.
“To give it lip service, that really doesn’t do it justice. Showing people the results of hanging on to the ball, getting the ball on defense and not shooting yourselves in the foot. The number of penalties that this team had last year was unreal. And then to go 8-8 on top of that, that’s kind of impressive. You got to see it for what it is. There’s no gimmes in this league. To keep setting yourself backward, it’s going to make it even tougher.”

Steve Corkran

2547.Sullivan44 Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:00 pm
    I guarantee you, half rate teams that have these team meetings? 90% of them are called by guys who want the ball more.

******

Now he flip flops….you are a democrat for sure lol

hwnrdr Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Didn’t the Raiders have a players only meeting recently? Maybe not last year but 2-3 years ago?

………….

Now there would be the prime example of just how futile and stupid team meetings are. The Raiders had one. I’ll bet you anything NYG didn’t have one team meeting last year. Just be at practice on time, and play like hell on Sunday.

2551.Sullivan44 Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:02 pm
    Method To My Madness Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 11:56 am

MR…the 80s tough minded Celtics teams you mean where heart wasnt questiobn nor effort?

……..

Yeah, that! Duh. That’s kind of the idea.
    *******

We talking 30 years ago when attitude was quite different lol….bad example dummy and you were insinuating pro teams dont have players only meetings…now you flip flopped as usual when you getting hammered lol

• DennisAllensVisor

Sullivan44 Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:04 pm
    hwnrdr Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:00 pm

………….

—-

Manning calls players only meeting..

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

Of course I’m a Democrat, Brien. I don’t enjoy black people being broken down financially and then sent off to be warehoused in prisons, like you do.

2522.Sullivan44 Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 11:46 am
    Brien, just what would be discussed at this team meeting, of professional athletes mind you? “make the baskets. We have to put the ball in the basket!”

*****

LMAO look at MR…when examples are proven he flips from this…too funny

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

I think JaMarcus Russell called a couple of team meetings. Brien was there.

2555.DennisAllensVisor Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:05 pm
    Sullivan44 Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:04 pm
    hwnrdr Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:00 pm

………….

—-

Manning calls players only meeting..

******

No its time to call you DAV…lol good show…you see MR has nada but only lies and wants to disturb this site

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

The Raiders have had team meetings throughout the past 9 years where Brien would walk around the locker room and yell things to the players like,

“come on now, son, you gotta play hard!”

“You’re soft! Play hard!!!!”

“gotta catch the ball! Come on!!!

“Make some blocks, come on!!!!!”

And, as you can see by the Raiders’ results over this time, these meetings worked!

• hwnrdr

Why are team meetings stupid? Giants were in disarray last year remember? Coach about to be fired, lost 3 staright after their big win against New England…I’m sure something was held to regroup…Just saying

2558.Sullivan44 Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:06 pm
    I think JaMarcus Russell called a couple of team meetings. Brien was there.

******

And Russell wasnt lmao

• mack-madden

DennisAllensVisor Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 11:30 am
    Vanilla face is from Borat..

When he goes to the hood, tries to talk like them.

He goes to the hotel, white guy behind counter helps him, he says “Yo vanilla face”..

$$$$$$$$$$

SO i was correct with my initial interpretation?

• hwnrdr

Sullivan44 Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:06 pm
    I think JaMarcus Russell called a couple of team meetings. Brien was there.

LOL, I think JaMarcus called team meetings with his chef!

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

Oh, yeah, the Raiders have had team meetings. Well that settles it. If the NFL’s undisputed best team of the past decade had team meetings, well then who could question them? The Raiders had team meetings. Good grief. I would pay #100 to see a video of one of those.

2560.Sullivan44 Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:08 pm

“come on now, son, you gotta play hard!”

“You’re soft! Play hard!!!!”

“gotta catch the ball! Come on!!!

“Make some blocks, come on!!!!!”

****

See him trying to deflect the obvious truth he has been exposed as a liar?

Method To My Madness Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:08 pm

2558.Sullivan44 Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:06 pm
    I think JaMarcus Russell called a couple of team meetings. Brien was there.

******

And Russell wasnt lmao

………..

lol.

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

I would pay money to see any Raiders team meeting of the past decade. It would have to include a laugh track.

2565.Sullivan44 Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:10 pm

******

You dont have 100 bucks lol

• hwnrdr

I wouldn’t pay, but I would love to hear what went on…

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

I think Warren Sapp called a team meeting once. He got everyone into the locker room, looked around, and just said, “Never mind”.

2568.Sullivan44 Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:12 pm

……

And we would love to see any woman you have had sex with the last decade…bet ya that laugh truck is much bigger

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

Al Davis called a team meeting once and got every single player’s name wrong.

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

You would love to see a woman I’ve had sex with. I’ve surprised myself.

• Method To My Madness

anyways guys…moving on…cuz i just proved along with DAV that MR is lying about team meetings….so let’s talk Raiders 2012 cuz Mr is just a sad lil guy

• hwnrdr

In other news…Joe Vitt told Goodell that he never offered a bounty program and the allegations against him are false! He would take a lie detector test or sign a sworn affadavit that he never participated in the Bounty program…
    And this only gets better!

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

Although I admit a laugh track would probably be in order if I were to put out a sex tape.

2574.Sullivan44 Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:15 pm
    You would love to see a woman I’ve had sex with. I’ve surprised myself.

********
    Meaning none

• mack-madden

whatever nevermind i asked, dont care no more.

thanks for the clarification.

you guys carry on with your team meetings… PLAYERS

2577.Sullivan44 Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:16 pm

******

MR you know he never go to fk one hoe
    no hoe no hoe no hoe no hoe

• Method To My Madness

Mack Madden im going up to Great America this sunday….gotta check out this brisket game

• guest123

hwnrdr Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:15 pm
    And this only gets better!

********

I saw the interview. He seem adamant that it wasn’t him, and the Saints player who allegedly said it denies it with profanity mixed in.

What I don’t understand from watching those Tom Clancy movies is don’t the CIA or somebody have voice recognition software that can match a person’s voice to 99% accuracy. Why aren’t they breaking out the high tech electronics and settling this matter once and for all?

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

Every team meeting should be something like what Will Ferrell would have in Semi-pro.

• TxRaider210

Gents, I’m thinking of letting the beard grow out until the Raiders make the playoffs. It’s already about as gnarly as Harden’s…who’s with me?lol

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

Brien I’ve scored over my head a couple of times. You’d be proud. I had a Kings cheerleader once that Spud Webb was trying to get at. He left a message on her answer machine while we laid in bed and had a post-action blunt. Print that.

2584.TxRaider210 Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:22 pm

******

count me out…what if you started that back in 2003? Yikes!

2585.Sullivan44 Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:23 pm

**********

“WE dont believe you…you need more people”

• Silverandblack666

Seriously what the hell is your problem?

Why do you feel the need to come in here everyday and take the topic at hand and twist it so you can argue incessantly about how you know more about said topic than anyone here.

Is your life that freaking pathetic that the only attention you get is negative attention in here?

You have some serious issues Sandusky44 way beyond what any of us here can help you with!

• TxRaider210

Method To My Madness Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:23 pm
    2584.TxRaider210 Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:22 pm

******

count me out…what if you started that back in 2003? Yikes!

———————————
    No kidding, I look like Tom Hanks in Cast Away.lol

2588.Silverandblack666 Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:26 pm
    Seriously what the hell is your problem?

*********

Even when proven wrong lol..as said..he is doing a skip bayless routine

• TxRaider210

Would look like*

• Silverandblack666

If we went to the Amber Alert web site and did a search for sex offenders in Sacramento. Then put a filter on there for all white guys that want to be black, then all of those guys who are on serious mental illness medication we would find Sully44.

2589.TxRaider210 Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:26 pm
    Method To My Madness Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:23 pm
    2584.TxRaider210 Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:22 pm

******

count me out…what if you started that back in 2003? Yikes!

———————————
    No kidding, I look like Tom Hanks in Cast Away.lol

*****

Haaa…..yes! but hey you may only grow it til december….need some things to fall in place…like a RDE and real NT, better cbs, tougher playmaker at fs, a good RT and a qb who doesnt turn it over

666 lol

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Sullivan44 Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:15 pm
    You would love to see a woman I’ve had sex with. I’ve surprised myself.
    ======================================

• Silverandblack666

Moms be trippin mayne!

• Silverandblack666

“Why? Females will fook anything. Seriously. Except jamista clown, Raider Ho, and biachi.”

LMFAO at Raider HO damn that’s a good one Seymour!

• TxRaider210

Method To My Madness Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:30 pm
    2589.TxRaider210 Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:26 pm
    Method To My Madness Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:23 pm
    2584.TxRaider210 Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:22 pm

******

count me out…what if you started that back in 2003? Yikes!

———————————
    No kidding, I look like Tom Hanks in Cast Away.lol

*****

———————————–
    I agree with some of the areas of concern you mention, however, I haven’t been this pumped about a new coach and staff in forever. I’m gonna traust in Reg and DA until they prove otherwise..

• Silverandblack666

B@uce do you know what I am saying?

• mack-madden

B,

i suggest you the the brisket at 1130am when they open, i think thats the best batch.
    they dont bathe it in bbq sauce for you either, we are all big boys, we can sauce it up ourselves.

dont sleep on the pulled pork LOL

• Intrepid

ROG, you gotta stick with yesterdays B@uce original. Not”Making zero sense here as usual Skip Bayless…just rambling for the sake of doing it”.Instead,”Making zero sense on so many levels” You gotta own that one or Ima steal it.