Raiders wrap up final mini camp, break for 6 weeks

By Steve Corkran
Thursday, June 14th, 2012 at 3:50 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders concluded their third and final mini camp Thursday, with coach Dennis Allen excited about how much progress his players have made, just about every player healthy and the foundation laid for the training camp that starts in late July.
The players won’t be on the field again as a team until they arrive in Napa on July 29. At that time, Allen said he expects all 90 players on the roster to be at or near 100 percent and ready to pick up where they left off today.
“I was pleased with the progress,” Allen said. “Obviously, we’re not near where we need to be yet. It’s always going to be a work in progress, but I specifically thought over the last couple of days that I could kind of feel that we were kind of figuring out what we were asking them to do, and I thought the guys really responded over the last couple of days.”
Allen said he and his assistant coaches aren’t allow to discuss football with the players between now and training camp. Even so, they intend to be in contact with the players to keep tabs on them the next six weeks or so.
He left them with a detailed list of things they should be doing between now and the time they reconvene in Napa.
“I want them to make sure that they keep improving on what we already started,” Allen said. “We’re just laying a foundation for what we wanted to build here. We’ve got to make sure that between now and camp that we don’t just put football totally aside. We’ve got to keep making sure that we’re staying in condition, keep lifting weights as well as keep studying their notes and the playbook.”
Quarterback Carson Palmer said he got the message and that he already has plans to keep in shape, as well as honing his knowledge of the playbook.
“Go back through everything,” Palmer said of how he intends to spend the next six weeks or so. “Starting with protections. Everything starts with protections. (Allen) fired everything at us. There wasn’t really time to sit back and absorb little things here and there, little nuances of the running game, little nuances of redirecting protections and two minute and all these different situations.
“So [I’m] really going to break it down, starting with protections and then going through all the run game responsibilities on the quarterback because that’s obviously going to set the tone of games is with our run game.”

Defensive tackle Travis Ivey returned to practice after being cleared from the concussion he suffered while lifting weights a few days ago.
Safety Mike Mitchell, fullback Manase Tonga, wide recievers Denarius Moore, Eddie McGee and Louis Murphy, defensive lineman Dave Tollefson, linebacker Aaron Curry, tight end Brandon Myers and center Stefen Wisniewski were the only players who didn’t practice Thursday.

Second-year running back Taiwan Jones highlighted an impressive three-day showing with a run on which he juked cornerback Shawntae Spencer near the line of scrimmage, emerged into the secondary and blew past two other would-be tacklers down the left side line.
The Raiders are loaded with fast players. However, Jones’ speed just seems to be otherwordly, especially when he gets into the open field.

Veteran fullback Owen Schmitt worked with the first-team offense quite a bit Thursday. He is making a hard push for the starting job, it seems, even if it’s real early in the process.
Allen said Schmitt is one of the candidates for the short-yardage role filled by Michael Bush in recent years.

It wasn’t long ago that offensive coordinator Greg Knapp talked about the tight ends being an area of concern. Fast forward to today, Allen is impressed by how far that group has come in a short period of time.
“What was perceived to be an area of weakness coming in, I’ve seen some significant improvement,” Allen said. “I’m looking forward to seeing what they do in training camp.”
Myers, David Ausberry and Richard Gordon have done an impressive job as blockers and receivers, with coaches taking note along the way.
Myers has an edge in experience, though Ausberry and Gordon are viewed as promising players in their own right.
“I’ve been around here a few years,” Myers said. “It’s kind of the same as it has been in the past; we just kind of rotate. But yeah, I’m in there with the 1′s right now and just trying to prove to the coaches and my teammates that I can be there and I’m just trying to make plays when my name is called.”
Myers said he has heard the talk about the tight ends being a weak spot with this team.
“People might think that because we don’t have the big name at tight end, but we’ve got guys capable of competing and making plays and we’re going to be fine,” Myers said. “Everybody’s pushing each other. Once the season starts, the best guys will be on the field, helping the team contribute to a win.”

Allen said he likes what he sees with the players on his roster right now. Still, there’s always room for improvement, so more changes will be made whenever there’s a chance to add a player that has the potential to make the team better.
“Listen, I’m never going to be satisfied with where we’re at,” Allen said. “We’re always going to be looking to improve, so it’s like I said, it’s an ongoing process. We’re going to be looking throughout this five-week period until we get to training camp and we’re going to be looking for every way that we can to improve this football team.”

Allen sounds as if he couldn’t be anymore pleased with Palmer after seeing him perform the past two months or so.
“He’s been an outstanding leader,” Allen said. “He’s taken to the new system, has a good command of what we’re asking him to do. He’s coaching the young guys. You couldn’t ask for anything better than what we’re getting out of Carson right now.”
Allen also sees a fire in Palmer that signifies to him big things to come.
“He’s got a little bit of a chip on his shoulder,” Allen said. “He wants to prove he still belongs in this league and can play at an elite level. As with everything else it’s all about your mind-set, and his mind’s in the right place right now.”
Palmer said he feels comfortable in the new offense and with his teammates, whereas last season he arrived midway through and was forced to learn on the fly.
“Can’t wait for camp,” Palmer said. “We got a lot of good work in, and you never know what to expect as you’re coming out of this last mini camp after the OTA’s and offseason workouts. I can’t speak for everybody but I’m definitely pleasantly surprised with where we are.
“We got a lot done. We put in a lot. We executed very well, there weren’t a lot of mental mistakes. There were some young guys, some rookie guys that need to catch up but for a new offense, a new system, and really a new regime, we’re in a good place with this time coming off to get ready for training camp.”

Tollefson spent the past five seasons with the New York Giants, playing for strict disciplinarian Tom Coughlin. He said he sees a lot of similarities in the way Allen runs the show.
“There’s not a lot of bullcrap that comes out of his mouth, which is important,” Tollefson said. “There’s enough guys on this team and in the NFL, in general, that can smell crap, if a guy is just saying stuff to fill time. He doesn’t to that. As a young guy, coming in and being as sharp as he has, knowing what to do as a head coach is pretty impressive.”
In particular, Tollefson said he has been impressed about Allen’s approach to reducing penalties and turnovers. Allen has said that the Raiders will be smart and disciplined.
Saying those things in one thing, Tollefson said. Getting results is another. So far, Tollefson is convinced that Allen has the proper approach to accomplishing the desired goals.
For example. Allen is showing slides of players committing turnovers and penalties after practice. It’s another teaching tool that goes a long way and something that worked well for Coughlin the past five years, Tollefson said.
“That’s something that Coughlin was huge on, showing us what he’s talking about,” Tollefson said. “If you turn the ball over and you get penalties, you will lose games and won’t make it to the playoffs. (Allen’s) done a good job of that.
“To give it lip service, that really doesn’t do it justice. Showing people the results of hanging on to the ball, getting the ball on defense and not shooting yourselves in the foot. The number of penalties that this team had last year was unreal. And then to go 8-8 on top of that, that’s kind of impressive. You got to see it for what it is. There’s no gimmes in this league. To keep setting yourself backward, it’s going to make it even tougher.”

How do I get in on that?..

***

@DAV

I will e-mail Raider Dell and ask him if he’s got any FF spots left. There is at least 1 guy from last year not welcome back and 1 guy who has backed out

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Method To My Madness Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:18 pm
    Mack Madden im going up to Great America this sunday….gotta check out this brisket game
    ========================================

So do I. Maybe I should meet you over there.

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

B@uce do you know what I’m saying? Help me out here.

• Intrepid

Wow. You can’t spell B@uce correctly or it doesn’t post? How’d you piss ‘em off THAT much?

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

666, you prefer white people to act white, huh?

• Just Fire Baby

Dell’s fantasy football league just got infinitely times more difficult, as I just logged in.

Kiss the ring ladies!!!

• Just Fire Baby

How does one not like Pork?

I mean Carnitas, pulled pork sammies, some pork ribs? Here in NM, we have green chile stew made with pork and pork fat that is to die for!!!

No Bacon on your burger? No sausage in your breakfast burrito?

WTF!!!!!!!

• Silverandblack666

I prefer you to shut up as all you do is try so hard to get any kind of attention even if its negative or an entire blog that hates you to respond to your babble.

Please see post 2587 as it sums it up.

Aksing B@uce if he knows what I am saying is a South park reference but you are so insecure that you thought it was about you.

See how desperate you are for any kind of attention just like a 13 year old girl on twitter!

• TxRaider210

Just Fire Baby Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:50 pm
    How does one not like Pork?

No Bacon on your burger? No sausage in your breakfast burrito?

WTF!!!!!!!

———————–
    Amen to that JFB…I’ll have some more swine please.

• Method To My Madness

2601.Intrepid Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:42 pm
    ROG, you gotta stick with yesterdays B@uce original. Not”Making zero sense here as usual Skip Bayless…just rambling for the sake of doing it”.Instead,”Making zero sense on so many levels” You gotta own that one or Ima steal it.

********

You are a Raider brother…how can you steal then?

• Silverandblack666

“Kiss the ring ladies!!!”

Nice work last year JFB you played well even through the controversy.

Congratulations on being the champ!

Now I am going to kick your ass this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Method To My Madness

2600.mack-madden Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:38 pm
    B,

i suggest you the the brisket at 1130am when they open, i think thats the best batch.
    they dont bathe it in bbq sauce for you either, we are all big boys, we can sauce it up ourselves.

dont sleep on the pulled pork LOL

*******

pork? snoring….counting sheep

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

Well, let’s be honest, I don’t have to try hard to get attention on this blog.

• mack-madden

2589.TxRaider210 Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:26 pm
    Method To My Madness Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:23 pm
    2584.TxRaider210 Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:22 pm
    Gents, I’m thinking of letting the beard grow out until the Raiders make the playoffs. It’s already about as gnarly as Harden’s…who’s with me?lol

******

count me out…what if you started that back in 2003? Yikes!

———————————
    No kidding, I look like Tom Hanks in Cast Away.lol

*****

Haaa…..yes! but hey you may only grow it til december….need some things to fall in place…like a RDE and real NT, better cbs, tougher playmaker at fs, a good RT and a qb who doesnt turn it over

———————————–
    I agree with some of the areas of concern you mention, however, I haven’t been this pumped about a new coach and staff in forever. I’m gonna traust in Reg and DA until they prove otherwise..

*******

Dennis Allen seems boring with no personality….i think thats a good thing…REggie McRibzie I’ll wait and see…I was juiced about Hue and company until he pulled that Doushmanzadeh for Hagan deal…fkin stupid

But we are in new times so we will wait and see….i think it can be a rebuilding year or a surprise….i hope criner and bergstrom start…that will say alot about our new era as far as scouting and drafting goes

Kiss the ring ladies!!!

***

@JFB

you’re kinda like the KC Chiefs, living in my neck of the woods

I wont be upset if I don’t win it all, but I at least want to beat you this season!

think I’m 0-5 against you the last 2 years

• Method To My Madness

2614.Sullivan44 Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:54 pm
    Well, let’s be honest, I don’t have to try hard to get attention on this blog.

*****

very true…so why do you try hard?

• TxRaider210

mack-madden Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:55 pm
    PIG FEET

PIG EARS

FRIED PIG SKINS…

bacon is the ultimate condiment

————————–
    Hence, the Burger King Bacon Sundae!!

• mack-madden

lunch time fellas,

WTF is salame?
    is that pork?

whatever it is, this salame sandwich tasting good.

• Just Fire Baby

Now I am going to kick your ass this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*******************

I like to hear it, I will be ready.

The great philospoher SugaFree once said “If you stay ready, you ain’t gots to get ready”.

Words to live by

• Method To My Madness

2615.mack-madden Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:55 pm
    PIG FEET

PIG EARS

FRIED PIG SKINS…

bacon is the ultimate condiment

*****

from the roota tothe toota sas ngga lol…..no pork on my fork…never again…id rather starve then to put that doo doo wormed out beast on my plate or hands

• TxRaider210

@2615 Agreed that Bergstrom and Criner should start. If the offense is decent and the D can run mid-pack, we have a chance imo.

• Method To My Madness

check yall in immediate

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

The great philosopher Suga Free..

oh boy. I was just about to leave too.

• Method To My Madness

yeah cut carlisle….demote dhb

JFB beat me with Matt Ryan & Tim Tebow last year.

Who is it going to be this year? Mark Sanchez & Ryan Tannehill?

lol

• mack-madden

*salami

• Just Fire Baby

RR,

Each time has been crazy when I beat you too.

I got you with Tebow last year, when with about 5 minutes to go in the Miami game, he had negative points, lol.

Also beat you once but a few points I remember.

• Just Fire Baby

Every year this time, we get one of these long azzed threads.

Each year, I try to bring everyone over to the previous thread, but the only guy who followed me last year was Fat Kidd, lol.

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

Vegas, like to stay on the current thread because I like to stay ready to get ready.

• Method To My Madness

2625.Sullivan44 Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 1:02 pm
    The great philosopher Suga Free..

oh boy. I was just about to leave too.

******

Why Ya Bullschittin!

• Method To My Madness

Fatt Kidd= Jerry McDonald

• Silverandblack666

“666, you prefer white people to act white, huh?”

This is a perfect example of how you twist and contort people words to try and get a reaction out of them.

I simply said that you are a white guy that tries to be black. I never once passed judgement or made a negative comment in any way about the subject just an observation. because you were emotionally upset and butthurt by these words you twisted what I said to make me look like I have prejudices.

Since what I said did not sit well with you, your immediate reaction was to try and paint me as a racist to get others in here to have a negative feelings about me.

Its very childish and shows that you are an insecure person and you desperately need affirmation from people here.

This is also a fine example of why people do not respond to your posts or trust you because they know you have ill will towards them. I can only hope that in the real world you do not act like this to the people around you or you will be or already are a very lonely person with a gloomy outlook on life. Maybe suicide is a nice alternative for you.

@JFB

yeah – like when I had Flacco & Ravens Defense versus Seattle. You predicted they would net me 30 points. Seattle smashed them and they ended up totaling like 5 points

• Just Fire Baby

How did the Ravens lose to Seattle last year?

The worlds worst QB play beat the worlds best defense.

Go figure.

• Method To My Madness

Maybe suicide is a nice alternative for you.

*****

Oh my Fatal blows

• Just Fire Baby

The previous thread has 30 comments and loads nice and easy.

Just saying…….

@JFB

How did JaMarcus beat the Eagles, Texans or Bucs?

Just some of those mysteries we’ll never know

• Method To My Madness

vegas…i can dig that move…im with it cuz this is fkin up my computer

• Just Fire Baby

I tried to act nice, but this is killing me. Maybe a threat will work….

If you don’t go to the previous thread, I will litter this comment section with a RaiderDebo-esque, mind-numbing continuous ramblings of the great Bruce Gradkowski!!!!

• Silverandblack666

“Maybe suicide is a nice alternative for you.

*****

Oh my Fatal blows”

Well if you are so miserable of a person with such a horrible life that you desperately seek out negative attention towards yourself each day maybe he would be happier 6 feet under. Just saying….

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

We are what, four weeks out of training camp? OK, I got one for you guys since MacDonald and Corkran are passed out on the couch. Looks like GB has benched Desmond Bishop the team leader in tackles and second in sacks last year for a 6th rounder who played well late in the season named DJ Smith. Smith is slightly undersized OLB they moved inside and comes from Div II powerhouse Appy State. I think he was the guy who picked off Palmer on the lst drive last year in Lambeau. Think that could happen here?

I e-mailed Becker, Corkran & McDonald with the Cedric Benson piece asking them to post it here, since this current item has 2600+ comments

Haven’t heard back yet. Could be furloughs all around for 6 weeks!?

I tried to act nice, but this is killing me. Maybe a threat will work….

@JFB

that beats your usual ramblings of the pathetic Rolando World Peace.

If you start chanting for Brittle Bruce, I’m gonna go all Higgins & Morrison in here and it won’t be pretty – like the TD dances of King Darrius!

• Intrepid

If I make it to a tailgate this year and meet B@uce, this’ll probably be part of our conversation……..Vincent: Want some bacon?
    Jules: No man, I don’t eat pork.
    Vincent: Are you Jewish?
    Jules: Nah, I ain’t Jewish, I just don’t dig on swine, that’s all.
    Vincent: Why not?
    Jules: Pigs are filthy animals. I don’t eat filthy animals.
    Vincent: Bacon tastes gooood. Pork chops taste gooood.
    Jules: Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I’d never know ’cause I wouldn’t eat the filthy motherf@ker. Pigs sleep and root in sh1t. That’s a filthy animal. I ain’t eat nothin’ that ain’t got sense enough to disregard its own feces.
    Vincent: How about a dog? Dogs eats its own feces.
    Jules: I don’t eat dog either.
    Vincent: Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal?
    Jules: I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.
    Vincent: Ah, so by that rationale, if a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal. Is that true?
    Jules: Well we’d have to be talkin’ about one charming motherf@kin’ pig. I mean he’d have to be ten times more charmin’ than that Arnold The Pig on that Green Acres sh1t

• Just Fire Baby

The tales of the Great Gradkowsi begins with him showing up to Napa, on a unseasonably warm afternoon. He promptly spoke with his Dad, and got the clouds to cover up the sun.

It then goes on to him sprinting to the water fountain in his first practice, even though he had zero reason to thirsty.

• Just Fire Baby

The saga of The Bruce ends with him hurting his shoulder, in one of the most heroic efforts you will ever see in a 14 point home loss to a 5-7 team……

• DJ Johnny

2640.Just Fire Baby Says:
    June 20th, 2012 at 1:20 pm
    I tried to act nice, but this is killing me. Maybe a threat will work….

I’m going over there.

Kirk Morrison attended elementary school at Sacred Heart, now called St. Martin de Porress, in Oakland, California. After 8th grade graduation he went to Bishop O’Dowd High School which is also in Oakland, California. He won varsity letters in football and track & field. In football, he led his team to two HAAL championships and two Northern California section 3A championships, was a two-time All-HAAL honoree, and as a senior, was the HAAL Defensive Player of the Year.

Morrison attended college at San Diego State University and had an outstanding playing career. While at SDSU, he was two-time Mountain West Defensive Player of the Year.

Morrison played in all 16 games as a rookie, ending the season with 116 tackles and two pass deflections.

He finished the 2006 season with a team leading 128 tackles, a sack, a defensive touchdown, and two interceptions.

Morrison started the 2007 season with an interception in each of his first three games, joining Thomas Howard who had an interception through each of his first 4 games. He led the Oakland Raiders with 120 tackles, and tacked on 10 passes defended and a quarterback sack to his totals.

In 2008, Morrison ranked fifth in the NFL with 135 tackles. He also forced two fumbles and had one sack.

He finished the 2009 season tied 6th in the NFL with 133 tackles. He forced three fumbles, recovering one, and had two sacks while playing most of the season with a dislocated elbow.

Morrison was traded to the Jacksonville Jaguars along with a fifth-round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft for the 108th pick in the same draft. Morrison’s first game against his hometown and former team, the Oakland Raiders, was held in Jacksonville on December 12, 2010, the Jaguars won 38-31.

On August 24, 2011, he signed with the Buffalo Bills.

• jesusraiderjim

Previous thread loadreing in seconds. mere seconds lol