Raiders assistant trainer Chris Cortez is a hero

A great story emerged from a potentially tragic one Saturday when Raiders assistant trainer Chris Cortez helped pull a woman out of a sinking car in the Oakland estuary.

Here’s a link to the story on our website, where we re-tell the story Cortez relayed to Jeanette Thompson from Raiders.com in the latest installment of their “Behind the Shield” video show.

Here’s a video from the story that aired on NBC BayArea:

Jon Becker

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Raidernationdave Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 10:25 am
    Right now the guy is on the verge of being considered one of the top 10 safeties in the game, he’s a Raider and he’s under contract. I’d drop 7-8 mil on Branch before I’d drop any scratch on Huff.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I agree 100%.

$1.34 million?

Plenty of money left to spend. You may get your boy Cedric after all

***

@G123

sign Benson & dump Murphy!

then we’re both happy :P

• The Big Banana

Lol. County didn’t like that Niners wanted to install TVs on backs of seats so they seized the money. Too funny. May end up costing them (err…taxpayers) in the longrun if SF files suit and wins.

What’s the coach speak for turd sandwich? “It is what it is” ….and “at the end of the day”

***

I think so, GMoney

if rookies Criner & Streater are making starting vet CB’s Bartell & Spencer look like clowns in training camp like they did in OTA’s, I think it’s fair to be concerned

646.Raidernationdave Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 10:25 am

*******

doesnt seem like a playmaker but i like the dude playing tho…7-8 millies is alot

• guest123

I don’t see how the Niners don’t win that lawsuit. At the very least, the city of Santa Clara is going to have to pay pack the $30M with interest, and costs for delays of that site development. The original loan of $850 million is probably going to be over $1 billion because of the delay to schedule and the ripple effect down the line.

638.hwnrdr Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 10:10 am
    Too dam funny! SF getting punked already with their new home???

*********************

Shoulda saw vision like Giants did in China Basin and built stadium there…woulda made more money there plus been in area where rich folks are living…how stupid?

A Super Bowl in Santa Clara or one in SF? Its a damn shame..and i hate SF but im disgusted with the move

• guest123

I won’t be unhappy if we go after a vet TE like Shiancoe or somebody with a pulse. Our TE corps is really not a threat and if we can’t get some proven production or the threat of production, it makes the job so much easier for the opposing DC’s to stop us.

Just say no to Benson and TO,

But, say yes to Schainco.

656.guest123 Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 10:34 am

***************

Its a damn joke man….never shoulda left SF for SC back in the 80s…players have no connection witht he city now….sad

• guest123

*********

Money is already drying up. Watch this deal fall through. Niners aren’t going anywhere.

658.guest123 Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 10:39 am

Just say no to Benson and TO,

But, say yes to Schainco.
    ***************

Hmmmmmmmm maybe…not like we have a qb who really looks to TE

660.guest123 Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 10:40 am

*********

***********

But they already broke ground

• CJ Legend 34

654.RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 10:31 am

***

I think so, GMoney

—————————————
    I was thinking the same thing RR, but we will really know when the pads go on and they start poping and cracking each other!!!

It is easy to look good as a WR when your muscles don’t feel a little jelly like after being knocked around.

Our DBs are a little suspect still. It will be interesting to see what they look like not going man to man almost every down.

Your boy Huff seems pumped up for this year.

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

I bet if Al was alive he would have struck a deal with Jerry Jones and got Mike Jenkins in Oaktown. CB position much bigger concer than TE position.

664.Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush) Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 10:43 am

*************

Someone hire HairyBush please!…I’m with this move

• Silverandblack666

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

BTW I’m hungry, Anyone want to fix me a turd sandwich?

• guest123

But they already broke ground

**********

That doesn’t mean anything if they don’t have the site development plan all lined up and ready to execute. These big projects are all about sequence. One event follows another, literally depends on it. $30 mill is small money and they can probably work around the details, but at some point there will be a jackknife of the schedule and the contractors will be screaming mad when they don’t get paid.

Matt Miller @ bleacher report breaks down Top 32 SS’s [least to greatest] on 03/23/12 :

Antrel Rolle
    Donte Whitner
    Kam Chancellor
    Tyvon Branch
    Adrian Wilson
    George Wilson
    Troy Polamalu

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

Hmmmmmmmm maybe…not like we have a qb who really looks to TE
    ————————————-
    Exactly. Get a guy who can block at tight end (Meyers may be that guy)and let our Wr’s and backs take care of the recieving.

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

RaiderRockstar Says:

Adrian Wilson
    George Wilson
    Troy Polamalu
    ———-
    Surprised Rolle was the worst

• Method To My Madness

Your boy Huff seems pumped up for this year.

***********

Huff blows

668.guest123 Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 10:46 am
    But they already broke ground

**********

&****************

Santa Clara County should never have any pro sports teams…at least the major 3 in the USA

• guest123

What bothers me most about the DB rankings isn’t that the Raiders are all mostly in the bottom half of the rankings. It’s being in the bottom half of the AFC WEST rankings. I don’t want to imagine where’d they rank in the NFL rankings.

• guest123

*********

Agreed, and I used to live in Santa Clara when I took a break from college in the 80′s. I know that place well. Not a pro sports city.

670.Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush) Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 10:47 am
    Hmmmmmmmm maybe…not like we have a qb who really looks to TE
    ————————————-

******************

I say start Myers…he can catch decent enough…dont want a 50-60 catch TE

Tyvon Branch = 4th best SS in the league, but some of these comments concern me …

“needs to improve his tackling in the open field”

“Allows a fair amount of completions”

“Will make a big play one game, but may disappear for a few after that.

“Not great at anticipating and getting there ahead of the ball”

“plenty of room to grow”

Overall rating 79.5 (C+)

Also states “Much better in a zone than man on man” when PFF calls Branch “best man-coverage safety in the league”

thoughts ???

• DennisAllensVisor

Magic get: Kevin Martin, Samuel Dalembert, 2012 #5 Pick, 2012 #8 Pick.

Rockets get: Dwight Howard, Hedo Turkoglu

Yes please.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

When KK and MR are absent the troll activity and hostile BS is nonexistent.

The end

• guest123

We keep talking about being multiple. Multiple on defense, multiple on offense.

To be multiple on offense, we need every skill position on the field to be a threat to take it to the house on any play. But problem is we have a gaping hole at TE position. We need to fix that either internally or going out to free agents. We need to make it our focus to cause opposing defensive coordinators to have Saturday evening panic attacks and Sunday morning migraines.

Guys, we need a legit TE on the field in the worst way. I don’t have much confidence in the TE crew as assembled.

so Branch doesn’t even get a B rating and we’re thinking about throwing $7-8 million annually at the guy?

by the way,

I usually think bleacher report is crap, but that analysis was spot on!

• guest123

thoughts ???

*********

Thoughts are Bleacher report is a spam link I don’t trust and are full of hackjob writers with less credibility than Skip Baseless, while PFF is a legit source for all things football.

Magic get: Kevin Martin, Samuel Dalembert, 2012 #5 Pick, 2012 #8 Pick.

Rockets get: Dwight Howard, Hedo Turkoglu

***

@DAV

this will never happen

• DennisAllensVisor

I refuse to worry about Branch on June 25th.

If you dont like him, so be it.

They didnt like DMC either.

I trust Reggie McKenzie’s eye for talent WAY more than an opinion from this blog lol..

• DennisAllensVisor

RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:00 am
    Magic get: Kevin Martin, Samuel Dalembert, 2012 #5 Pick, 2012 #8 Pick.

Rockets get: Dwight Howard, Hedo Turkoglu

***

@DAV

this will never happen

—-

Until it does.

Rockets are pushing to make it happen as you read in disbelief.

• theghostronin79

Just wait for camp. Ausburry never got a chance to shine. He was #3 last year. Hell, give them a preseason. Trust me, TE will not SUCK next year. Ausburry will be our guy I think.

• guest123

I usually think bleacher report is crap, but that analysis was spot on!

********

Thanks for the qualifying remark. When a source is crap, it’s crap all the time.

***

@G123

I thought ranking him the 4th best SS was pretty generous, looking at that list!

I would say Top 10 strong safety, but definately not Top 10 overall safety!!

• DennisAllensVisor

theghostronin79 Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:01 am

—-

Agreed.

The weakness at TE & CB is a little overblown. IMO

675.guest123 Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 10:52 am

*********

Agreed, and I used to live in Santa Clara when I took a break from college in the 80’s. I know that place well. Not a pro sports city.

****************************

No offense to SJ area but come on…not a sports town at all…they got the Sharks or whatever cool………..but thats where it needs to stop

• guest123

**********

I want to be optimistic too. I want to sip the koolaid. But Ausberry and Gordon and Myers produced a whopping 19 catches last year. That isn’t going to get it done. Not asking for a Jimmy Graham 100 catch TE either. Just someone that legitimizes the position and has to be gameplanned for.

I refuse to worry about Branch on June 25th.

***

@DAV

how about Sept thru Dec?

will you worry about him then?

679.MistaBrown Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 10:57 am
    When KK and MR are absent the troll activity and hostile BS is nonexistent.

The end

*************

Management

• DennisAllensVisor

RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:04 am
    I refuse to worry about Branch on June 25th.

***

@DAV

how about Sept thru Dec?

will you worry about him then?

—-

Havent yet.

@DAV

do you think your Magic can get it done without Dwight Howard & Hedo Turkoglu ??

Playoffs!?!

689.DennisAllensVisor Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:03 am
    theghostronin79 Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:01 am

—-

Agreed.

The weakness at TE & CB is a little overblown. IMO

**************

This i agree with except…shawntgay spencer can go to hell…he sucks

• DennisAllensVisor

RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:06 am
    @DAV

Playoffs!?!

—-

Dont care about the next 2 years.

2 top 10 picks this year + 19 this year..

Most likely Lottery next year…

BOOM! We’re back in 3 years, when convieniently the Heat are losing steam.

• theghostronin79

**********

============================

I hear what you’re sayin. But it’s not like they were targeted much and clanked everything that came their way. They were “Under” utilized. That’s it. I think Ausburry will do just fine. He saw the field with USC as a reciever and you gotta have SOME skills for that. You know the Trojans are like 25 deep at every position. We all miss Zach but, I’m honestly not worried about TE….

When a source is crap, it’s crap all the time

***

@G123

how would that explain all the Steve Corkran bashers in here, who complain about him daily, but hang on to every tweet and participate in every live chat?

I dont miss Zach Miller at all