Raiders assistant trainer Chris Cortez is a hero

By Jon Becker
Friday, June 22nd, 2012 at 4:24 pm in Oakland Raiders.

A great story emerged from a potentially tragic one Saturday when Raiders assistant trainer Chris Cortez helped pull a woman out of a sinking car in the Oakland estuary.

Here’s a link to the story on our website, where we re-tell the story Cortez relayed to Jeanette Thompson from Raiders.com in the latest installment of their “Behind the Shield” video show.

Here’s a video from the story that aired on NBC BayArea:

• raidertbone

I’ll start mixin’ up the koolaid once training camp starts – won’t start sipping’ on it though until Week 2 of the regular season!

BOOM! We’re back in 3 years, when convieniently the Heat are losing steam

***

@DAV

is that how we should approach the Raiders?

other Magic fans would slap you around for those comments!

• guest123

I’m not trying to make this into a discussion about Cedric Benson, but the money they are considering giving him, they should be committing to a legit FA TE who can at least bring something to a position of need. We’re already locked and loaded at RB. We don’t need anymore. But we got 3 TE’s that all have holes in their game. If you could take the best of all 3 and fabricate one TE, you’d have something there. But it’s not Frankenstein’s lab here, we need one legit TE talent to secure the position, or at least push and raise the level of competition in camp.

RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:12 am
    BOOM! We’re back in 3 years, when convieniently the Heat are losing steam

***

@DAV

is that how we should approach the Raiders?

other Magic fans would slap you around for those comments!

—-

Not realistic Magic fans, or the ones I know.

If thats not how you approach the Raiders now, theres no point in talking to be honest..

To quote Reggie, Rome wasnt built in a year.

guest123 Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:14 am

—-

THERE IS NO LEGIT FA TE!!!!!

You got to be kidding me.

• Method To My Madness

704.DennisAllensVisor Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:15 am
    RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:12 am
    BOOM! We’re back in 3 years, when convieniently the Heat are losing steam

***

@DAV

is that how we should approach the Raiders?

other Magic fans would slap you around for those comments!

—-

Not realistic Magic fans, or the ones I know.

To quote Reggie, Rome wasnt built in a year.

********************

Rome went down fast too

• guest123

how would that explain all the Steve Corkran bashers in here, who complain about him daily, but hang on to every tweet and participate in every live chat?

********

Well, I don’t personally bash Cork. I think he does a stellar job most of the time. But I think his personal gut feel on some of his takes in the chats are off-base sometimes. He trusts his instincts and I respect that, but sometimes is out of touch with what the Raiders braintrust is really up to. Hey, nobody’s perfect. He does his best. About all I can ask for.

• Method To My Madness

705.DennisAllensVisor Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:16 am
    guest123 Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:14 am

—-

THERE IS NO LEGIT FA TE!!!!!

You got to be kidding me.

**************

Agreed…and Benson isnt a legit RB

RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:10 am
    When a source is crap, it’s crap all the time

***

@G123

—-

Difference would be Cork is a credited reporter.. right?

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

dont want a 50-60 catch TE
    ——————
    don’t want and don’t need.

Yes, the Raiders are going to try and be “multiple” on both offense and defense. The only thing is, Palmer has not really given the TE position much love through out his career. I don’t see him changing regardless of what is in Knapp’s new scheme.

June 25th, 2012 at 11:17 am
    704.DennisAllensVisor Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:15 am
    RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:12 am
    BOOM! We’re back in 3 years, when convieniently the Heat are losing steam

***

@DAV

is that how we should approach the Raiders?

other Magic fans would slap you around for those comments!

—-

Not realistic Magic fans, or the ones I know.

To quote Reggie, Rome wasnt built in a year.

********************

Rome went down fast too

—-

They had a nice run though right?..

June 25th, 2012 at 11:18 am
    705.DennisAllensVisor Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:16 am
    guest123 Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:14 am

—-

THERE IS NO LEGIT FA TE!!!!!

You got to be kidding me.

**************

Agreed…and Benson isnt a legit RB

—-

He’s more legit than any other RB or TE available. Whatever that means.

Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush) Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:18 am
    dont want a 50-60 catch TE
    ——————
    don’t want and don’t need.

—-

If Knapp calls it, and the plays are designed to get the ball to the TE, guess what.

The TE is getting the ball bub.

• Method To My Madness

711.DennisAllensVisor Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:19 am
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:17 am
    704.DennisAllensVisor Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:15 am
    RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:12 am
    BOOM! We’re back in 3 years, when convieniently the Heat are losing steam

***

@DAV

is that how we should approach the Raiders?

other Magic fans would slap you around for those comments!

—-

Not realistic Magic fans, or the ones I know.

To quote Reggie, Rome wasnt built in a year.

********************

Rome went down fast too

—-

They had a nice run though right?..

****************

Bestiality and homosexuality ran rampant…no they didnt

@G123

We have 5 TE’s on the roster: Myers, Gordon, Ausberry, Efaw & Humphrey

We have 5 RB’s not named McFadden: Jones, Goodson, Miller, Jackson & Reece

obviously McKenzie, Allen & Knapp want to see what happens in training camp. Hoping somebody steps up and seizes the role. Wouldn’t mind some cheap homegrown production from an unfamiliar face. I don’t see this as an issue. If there isn’t enough talent, smarts or desire – you can bet changes will be made. Right now we’re taking the wait & see approach. There are 2 or 3 crusty old vets at TE who could step in and play tomorrow. Same thing at RB. No rush to sign these guys. Teams aren’t exactly beating down thier doors

• theghostronin79

dont want a 50-60 catch TE
    ——————
    don’t want and don’t need.

===============================

Agree there. That’s why I’m not worried. I think Ausburry will be a plesant surprise. Remember his corner of the endzone TD catch last preseason? I think he was only targeted twice last season, with 2 catches. Just give the guy a chance.

• Method To My Madness

713.DennisAllensVisor Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:20 am
    Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush) Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:18 am
    dont want a 50-60 catch TE
    ——————
    don’t want and don’t need.

—-

The TE is getting the ball bub.

******************

Please be serious…you know better…Palmer not good at passing to TE

• Method To My Madness

715.RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:21 am
    @G123

We have 5 TE’s on the roster: Myers, Gordon, Ausberry, Efaw & Humphrey

We have 5 RB’s not named McFadden: Jones, Goodson, Miller, Jackson & Reece

***********

B auce!

• guest123

@RRS,

I hear you man. It’s still almost a month away and I look at this team with much anticipation and hope. It’s tough not to look at the holes even its only perception. I guess we can always sign a crusty old vet like Schianco or Scaife. But it’s not like they are going to be available for long either. Someone’s going to get them.

• theghostronin79

I think Ausburry will lock down our TE spot by years end, just like I forsee Juron Criner cememting himself as our #1 reciever by years end as well.

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

DennisAllensVisor Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:20 am
    Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush) Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:18 am
    dont want a 50-60 catch TE
    ——————
    don’t want and don’t need.

—-

The TE is getting the ball bub.
    —————
    I think Palmer has warranted enough respect from the coaching staff that if he said I really want to see certain guys be the focal point, the OC and head coach would oblige him. You disagree?

I can’t envision any tight end on our current roster (or one added for that matter) catching more than 30 balls tops. DMoore, DHB, & DMAC will combine for about 200 receptions.

June 25th, 2012 at 11:23 am
    713.DennisAllensVisor Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:20 am
    Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush) Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:18 am
    dont want a 50-60 catch TE
    ——————
    don’t want and don’t need.

—-

The TE is getting the ball bub.

******************

Please be serious…you know better…Palmer not good at passing to TE

—-

When has he ever had 1?..

June 25th, 2012 at 11:21 am
    711.DennisAllensVisor Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:19 am
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:17 am
    704.DennisAllensVisor Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:15 am
    RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:12 am
    BOOM! We’re back in 3 years, when convieniently the Heat are losing steam

***

@DAV

is that how we should approach the Raiders?

other Magic fans would slap you around for those comments!

—-

Not realistic Magic fans, or the ones I know.

To quote Reggie, Rome wasnt built in a year.

********************

Rome went down fast too

—-

They had a nice run though right?..

****************

Bestiality and homosexuality ran rampant…no they didnt

—-

Well the Niners had a good year despite those issues.

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

Well the Niners had a good year despite those issues.
    ———————-
    lol

***

@G123

I think Shaincoe, Shockey & Scaife will be around until a #1 or #2 TE [that is heavily relied upon] gets a season-ending injury in camp or preseason

All 3 could be signed a week into training camp or all 3 could still be waiting for a phone call at midseason. you just never know

• guest123

I don’t see Ausberry getting any more opportunities than last year honestly. All I’ve heard about the TE position is Palmer talking up Myers as the starter. Now that says to me that Myers is still way ahead of Ausberry (maybe on par with Gordon) as far as blocking. The ability to block is what’s going to command starters reps at the TE position regardless in the WCO. If you can’t block, it don’t matter if you have velvety soft hands. You don’t play. I don’t see that Ausberry breakout year, not until or unless I hear some reports out of camp that say otherwise.

• DennisAllensVisor

Honestly, i’d rather give Ausberry & Gordon a shot before signing Shaincoe, Shockey or Scaife.

Were not a TE away from a Super Bowl run. No need to stunt a young players growth.

• Method To My Madness

722.DennisAllensVisor Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:27 am
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:23 am
    713.DennisAllensVisor Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:20 am
    Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush) Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:18 am
    dont want a 50-60 catch TE
    ——————
    don’t want and don’t need.

—-

The TE is getting the ball bub.

******************

Please be serious…you know better…Palmer not good at passing to TE

—-

When has he ever had 1?..

*****************************

Hell you dont need a good TE..you still have to show ability to pass to one and he just doesnt trust himself doing it…never has…cant excuse these USC qbs for sucking…no wonder none has ever won a SB title

Palmer not good at passing to TE

When has he ever had 1?..

***

DAV & ROG

2010 Carson Palmer had a rookie TE in Cincy named Jermaine Gresham and he got plenty of looks

can’t blame Palmer for avoiding guys like Reggie Kelly & Tony Stewart at TE. They sucked. we know first hand with T-Stew from his Oakland days!!

guest123 Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:31 am

—-

You must have missed the CP3 interviews about how Ausberry is beasting, and them working out together..

• guest123

********

I agree with you about the uncertainty. So why wait? Why not scoop them one of them up now (Reggie’s choice) with the remaining $1.3M and call it a day? & Let other teams twist in the wind when their TE1′s go down to torn ACL’s.

June 25th, 2012 at 11:33 am
    722.DennisAllensVisor Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:27 am
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:23 am
    713.DennisAllensVisor Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:20 am
    Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush) Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:18 am
    dont want a 50-60 catch TE
    ——————
    don’t want and don’t need.

—-

The TE is getting the ball bub.

******************

Please be serious…you know better…Palmer not good at passing to TE

—-

When has he ever had 1?..

*****************************

—-

Extreme opinion. But your allowed to have that if you like.

Doesnt make you wrong, or right.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I know some here are concerned about a few positions on offense like TE, Blocking FB, backup RB, RT, but I worry about our defense and especially our secondary.
    A good point was made earlier today about how our young and inexperienced WRs are playing better than our vet secondary which should be a concern even if there is no contact and pads.

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

Does anyone know what date teams have to meet the salary cap minimum by? Teams like Jax are way under the cap. Maybe that guy with the weird mustache can share some of his $$ with us.

• Method To My Madness

723.DennisAllensVisor Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:29 am
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:21 am
    711.DennisAllensVisor Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:19 am
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:17 am
    704.DennisAllensVisor Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:15 am
    RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:12 am
    BOOM! We’re back in 3 years, when convieniently the Heat are losing steam

***

@DAV

is that how we should approach the Raiders?

other Magic fans would slap you around for those comments!

—-

Not realistic Magic fans, or the ones I know.

To quote Reggie, Rome wasnt built in a year.

********************

Rome went down fast too

—-

They had a nice run though right?..

****************

Bestiality and homosexuality ran rampant…no they didnt

—-

Well the Niners had a good year despite those issues.

*****************

haha good one Duece

• guest123

*******

DAV,

I think I remember that report, but it was from February or March. The last time I heard Carson talk about his tight ends, he more or less annointed Brandon Myers the starting role.

• R8ER MIKE

whats up O ??
    how was the weekend??
    any sign of our Prez??

• DennisAllensVisor

Im not stressing about the D at all until pre-season games.. MAYBE.

Im just thankful that we will be playing a modern style scheme.

1st year, actually 1st off-season into a new GM/Rookie HC isnt the time to expect a Super Bowl run lol..

***

thanks O!

not bad for a Podunker, eh?

guest123 Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:36 am

*******

DAV,

—-

Politics, you dont bench a player verbally to the media in the off-season bro.

You need all of their psyche’s to be high.

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

DennisAllensVisor Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:37 am
    Im not stressing about the D at all until pre-season games.. MAYBE.

Im just thankful that we will be playing a modern style scheme.

——————–
    Can’t help but to wonder what a couple CB’s we used to employ would have done on our team in a “modern scheme”.

• guest123

Waiting for the preseason to figure out if your defense is any good is like waiting till the dress rehearsal the night before the performance to see if you can actually pull off the show. By the time the dress rehearsal is over and it’s apparent that the show stinks, it’s too late.

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

Good day of football talk on this blog today, pleasent surprise lol

• Silverandblack666

49 days until the first pre-season game!!!!

• Method To My Madness

732.DennisAllensVisor Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:35 am
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:33 am
    722.DennisAllensVisor Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:27 am
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:23 am
    713.DennisAllensVisor Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:20 am
    Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush) Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:18 am
    dont want a 50-60 catch TE
    ——————
    don’t want and don’t need.

—-

The TE is getting the ball bub.

******************

Please be serious…you know better…Palmer not good at passing to TE

—-

When has he ever had 1?..

*****************************

—-

Extreme opinion. But your allowed to have that if you like.

Doesnt make you wrong, or right.

******************

Fair enough but am I right on USC qbs tho? Yes I am

• Method To My Madness

744.Silverandblack666 Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:42 am
    49 days until the first pre-season game!!!!

***********

that number doesnt exist

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

Was Vince Evans a USC product?

During the last week of OTA’s, Reggie & Dennis were both encouraged by the progress made of all the young TE’s …

didn’t specify who had the early lead, but Myers was getting all the 1st team reps

anything besides that and you’re just speculating

• Method To My Madness

743.Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush) Says:
    June 25th, 2012 at 11:41 am
    Good day of football talk on this blog today, pleasent surprise lol

**********

As MistaBrown mentioned earlier…No MR or Kell…even no Beecher…so its not surprising

• guest123

Myers is out front right? And it may be speculating about Gordon and Ausberry, but I know what Myers is all about. He’s garbage at TE, below avg at everything. Only redeeming quality is above avg special teams play. If Myers > Ausberry and Gordon at the break of OTA’s, yeah I’m worried about the TE position.