1,368

Raiders confirm Branch signing

The Raiders tied up one loose end heading into training camp by agreeing to terms with franchise free agent strong safety Tyvon Branch to a reported four-year deal worth $17.6 million in guaranteed money and a maximum value of $28 million.

The Raiders confirmed the deal Saturday evening, without referring to terms of the contract, after it had been reported earlier by CBS Sports and the NFL Network.

Had Branch not received a multi-year deal by Monday, he would have played for the approximately $6.2 million figure as a franchise free agent and then faced free agency again next year.

According to Scout.com, citing league sources, Branch gets a $5.6 million signing bonus and will be paid $16.1 million over the first two years of the deal.

Branch’s signing will free up money under a tight salary cap for the Raiders to bring in an additional player or players if desired.

They have yet to announce deals with third-round draft pick Tony Bergstrom, a guard out of Utah, or wide receiver Juron Criner, a wide receiver from Arizona, although the Raiders had room to bring in both players whether Branch signed a multi-year deal or not.

With Branch’s deal netting as much as $4 million in cap savings, speculation will immediately turn to veteran running back Cedric Benson. Although unconfirmed by the club, Benson has been speculated as a heavy-legged successor to the departed Michael Bush.

Benson, 29, has gained 3,429 yards over the last three seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals, although he has averaged under 4 yards per carry in each of the last two years.

Entering his fifth season out UConn, Branch, who has at team-high 337 tackles over the past three seasons, was much improved in coverage in 2011 after being occasionally victimized in 2009 and 2010.

Should Branch, 25, blossom in the new defensive system as installed by coach Dennis Allen and defensive coordinator Jason Tarver, Branch will come at a bargain rate considering what he would have been worth a year from now.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Mr Green

Los mal ojos Says:
    July 17th, 2012 at 9:43 pm
    mr.green: still working on that Raider logo?
    llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Yes. A most certainly difficult thing to take to task. ˙ʇı ןןǝɯs uɐɔ I ǝʌǝıןǝq I ʇnq sǝpıᴚʇs ןןɐɯs ƃuıʞɐɯ ɯɐ I ‘ǝǝs uɐɔ noʎ sɐ ʇnq◄

:mrgreen:

• DKnight007

The Dark Knight Rise receiving rave and masterpiece reviews.

Opens this weekend! Yes!

• Pingback: FEATURED BLOG POST: Raiders confirm Branch signing | Raiders Central | Oakland Raiders Blog

• Just Fire Baby

LOL at the Dodgers.

6-20 over their last 26 games, worst in baseball.

Toast

• guest123

Not much from the nite crew. My favorite post was the happy face thumbs up code. Yeah! Like that! Nice way to start a day.

Good Morning Nation!

• hwnrdr

Good Morning Nation!!!
    Nothing new yet huh?

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

GUEST.LESS IS MORE FROM THE NITE CREW SOMETIMES…

• Just Fire Baby

How much of a bummer is that first day of camp going to be?

We get all revved up, “Camp is here!!!”, then the first day is mostly a dud, with no practice, half the team arriving late and not giving quotes, etc.

Things REALLY get going like 2 weeks from today.

• guest123

Really, the next two weeks excitement is waiting on and crossing fingers that our boys don’t get into off-field trouble like others around the league. It seems quiet time is not a good thing for some less-settled, immature minds.

This whole 6 week on your own hiatus is not a good thing. The players themselves are proving they aren’t mature to handle themselves. They need a drill sargeant to keep them from hurting themselves. Youth of today can’t handle too much liberty with too much money.

• guest123

Dirt-Lot, I agree. Nice peaceful night is good for all.

• hwnrdr

Just Fire Baby Says:
    July 18th, 2012 at 5:56 am
    How much of a bummer is that first day of camp going to be?

Things REALLY get going like 2 weeks from today.

Agreed! I guess more will be 26 days from today!

• hwnrdr

Hey Guest, Dirt Lot…I guess we are going to the Raider Nation Celebration! Talked to my friend last night who goes to the games with me and they want to go, so…hope all goes well for you Guest! Would be good to put a face to the name!

• guest123

Thanks Hwnrdr,

It’s frustrating for me that my travel plans aren’t set yet. I’ve only been told that I am to fly to San Jose in the 2nd week of August. All expenses paid, which is nice. I get to visit my brother and sister hopefully. I won’t miss Raider Nation Celebration for anything IF I can make it. I wish I knew.

But when I am finally setup with my itenerary, I’ll post here and let you know. I’d like to see you, Dirt-lot others there. I’ll buy you guys a beer.

• hwnrdr

That would be cool Guest! I heard they’re gonna have us park in lot C, Hegenberger side! And that they will open up the locker room and other places!

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

THAT IS 12-AUG. CORRECT ?

• hwnrdr

DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL Says:
    July 18th, 2012 at 6:22 am
    THAT IS 12-AUG. CORRECT ?

Yes Sir!

• hwnrdr

Is there a new post I am NOT seeing or is everyone busy at work? Just checking guys!

• Marks hair

Dez bryant sounds like a really great son..

• Marks hair

Whats wrong with the knicks? Never heard of sign & trade?

• Buckeyeraider

G’mornin fellas

• Marks hair

Wow, slow humpday..

• hwnrdr

LOL, no news for awhile I guess! I heard somewhere that EJ Henderson may be in the mix?

• Marks hair

Nice job by espn reporting lakers & magic meeting face to face yesterday. Except that it never happend..

• Marks hair

Id like to bring in ej. romac needs a push. And a back up.

• hwnrdr

Marks hair Says:
    July 18th, 2012 at 8:02 am
    Id like to bring in ej. romac needs a push. And a back up.

That’s what i’m saying…

• DJ Johnny

1205.guest123 Says:
    July 18th, 2012 at 5:46 am

Good Morning Nation!

Do you realize how much effort it was to copy and paste that stuff on Reggie and how Chicago was going after him?

Just kidding.

….I tried to get something rolling at least.

• DennisAllensVisor

Marks hair Says:
    July 18th, 2012 at 7:43 am
    Whats wrong with the knicks? Never heard of sign & trade?

—-

And get everything back they just traded to the Knicks for Camby?? lol..

• DennisAllensVisor

To the Rockets I meant..

• DennisAllensVisor

EJ Henderson has recently begun circulating word he’s 100% healthy and wants to play.

• raidertbone

We need something new to feed off of. This is like trying to make small talk with a girl (or guy) you broke up with. Awkward – you can only say “I hope for the best” so many times! Thankfully, training camp is only a week away. In the meantime, maybe I should go smack Dez Bryant’s momma, or something!

• DennisAllensVisor

Maybe Dez Bryant just had some really good BBQ, the kind that makes you wanna smalc yo mama..

• guest123

Just kidding.

….I tried to get something rolling at least

*******

That was some good stuff DJ.

I have a new appreciation for Reggie McK now. Always thought that it was a solid move hiring Reggie.

• TxRaider210

DennisAllensVisor Says:
    July 18th, 2012 at 8:45 am

——————
    Lmao! Or maybe he thinks he’s Top Flight Security of the world and caught momma stealing from his wallet.

• The Big Banana

Good morning fellas. Lol @ #1231

• TxRaider210

DennisAllensVisor Says:
    July 18th, 2012 at 8:43 am

———
    Could be a solid addition on the cheap, in case 55 runs in to more legal issues..

• The Big Banana

54 days and 10 hours till we unleash the nasty on SD.

• DennisAllensVisor

Tyvon Branch’s new contract gives us 5.159 million in cap space.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Ohioraider Says:
    July 17th, 2012 at 8:36 am
    Raider O Says:
    July 15th, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Ohioraider Says:
    July 15th, 2012 at 7:17 pm
    bigsnow81 Says:
    July 14th, 2012 at 10:22 pm

What’s crackin Nation? McKenzie thinks Branch is the real deal. I will always root for Al Davis draft picks to succeed. The first off-season without Al, doesn’t feel right.
    ==========================================
    Ahhh, it feels beautiful, sane, enlightened…
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It does? Why? Because the HOFer owner/ GM is dead?
    You people make me sick.
    =================================================
    Yeah, that’s right. I’m tired of losing. And if you dispute the collective sigh of relief coming from just about every corner just look closely at what Mark Davis and Reggie McKenzie are doing the organization from the ground up: it’s called blowing it the f up.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

You are happy/ relieved the owner of a business is dead, so someone else can run his business in a way you can agree with?
    Why don’t you create wealth and buy a team and run it the way you want? you can’t!
    I’m so sick of these people with a sense of entitlement.

• theghostronin79

54 days and 10 hours till we unleash the nasty on SD.

=============

Dat’s RIGHT ! ! !
    Teams are gonna have to score 30 points at least, to put us away.

If Defense stays the exact same but Offense improves, we should win at least a couple more.

• raidertbone

I both agree and strongly disagree with reference to dearly departed Al. I hate that he is no longer around – it just won’t seem the same this year. The Raiders were truly his team – he embodied them and they, likewise, embodied him. Age and several really bad decisions took their toll on him — I don’t think he ever recovered from having invested so heavily in JaWalrus, only to have him be the biggest bust of the century.
    Now, having said all that, the game really changed too much and he was having a hard time adapting. It was high time that fresh blood and a new sense of accountability came to the organization. Amy Trask has done a fine job, but that’s on the admin side. We needed a true football guy to guide the team. I strongly believe that in Reggie, we have that. There are already fewer and fewer sports writers taking potshots at the Silver and Black, and I see that trend continuing to decline.
    By the time DA is done in Oakland (not that I’m wishing him out already, but I’m just saying), the Oakland head coaching job will once again be one that prospective suitors will run toward rather than away from.
    Stay the course, Nation – it’s coming – we’re on the way back up!

• theghostronin79

1240 – Straight Up man.

• R8ER MIKE

O DOG !! whats up my GreenParty brother ??

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I’m so sick of people with a sense of entitlement.
    I’m a citizen, so the gov should support me.
    I work at a car factory with no real education or skilled labor, but I want to get paid based on profits from the industry.
    I’m a Raiders fan, but I don’t like what Al is doing, so I hope he dies so someone else can run Al’s business in a way that I can agree with.

• hwnrdr

What’s up Mike and O?
    Tbone…spot on bro!

• R8ER MIKE

Hwnrdr.. whats good today brother ??

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

-You want to share profits? Buy stocks!
    -you want to influence a football team? buy shares or spend your money on billboards.

• R8ER MIKE

lol ok. O , now tell us how you really feel !! lol lol lol !

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

ODB,

Had some friends over the last few days, and I’m tired bro.

Long Live The ODB!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Good day Hwnrdr.

• R8ER MIKE

?? party a little to hard sir ??
    just hope the boss doesnt give you any flack for
    being tired !! lol lol lol
    have you heard from our Prez yet ??
    and i also agree with you brother. i am smelling what you are stepping in !!