Report: Raiders sign SS Branch long-term

The Raiders and strong safety Tyvon Branch reached agreement on a four-year contract Saturday, according to a CBS Sports report.
Neither the Raiders nor Branch’s side are commenting on the situation. In recent weeks, Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie acknowledged that both sides were talking about the prospect of hammering out a multi-year contract.
Branch signed his one-year tender as the team’s franchise tag player. That guaranteed him $6.2 million for 2012. The new deal reportedly is worth as much as $26.6 million, with more than $17 million guaranteed.
A long-term contract would supersede the one-year tag deal and give the Raiders the ability to free up some salary cap room, which could come in handy if there’s a need to add players between now and the start of the regular season.
Branch, 25, has started all 48 regular-season games the past three seasons. He has spent all four of his NFL seasons with the Raiders.

Steve Corkran

• TxRaider210

Would we all agree that Branch is a top 5 SS, and the plus is that he can still get better?

• Mr Green

KoolKell Says:
    July 14th, 2012 at 2:05 pm
    The Pittsburgh Steelers have had 3 Head Coaches since 1989.

The New England Saints have had 5 Head Coaches since 1989.

The Green Bay Packers have had 5 Head Coaches since 1989.

The Raiders have had 12.

****************************************************

Obviously we had a frustrated owner who didn’t tolerate losing from his head cheeses. I woulda fired them too!

:shock:

• xraided

RR,

Goodman > Spencer

and i don’t know about giving chucky credit for Branch. even though… the switch to more zone probably helped him. now we’ll have a real DC in DA/Tarver really putting him in position make plays.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Mr Green Says:
    July 14th, 2012 at 2:08 pm

————————————-
    But, would you have hired them?

• xraided

i second that motion Tx!

he has a high ceiling still.

• Raidernationdave

You knew this was gonna happened sooner than later. Great job to the front office for getting this done and taking away this last question mark for the 2012/2013 season.

In RMac we trust!

• Raidernationdave

I’m using Chrome for the first time

• http://out-of-whack 909RaiderLifer

Mr Green Says:
    July 14th, 2012 at 2:04 pm
    KoolKell Says:
    July 14th, 2012 at 1:56 pm
    I can just imagine the frustration of players having to play for Chuck Bresnahan and that outdated, predictable defense.

Even Green QB’s read that thing like a see spot run reader.
    *******************************************************

Players playing frustrated for Chucky B? What about the frustration of the fans fans who had to watch that nightmare horse manure? At least the players got paid for it. The fans had to pay for it too.

“““““““““““““““““““““““““““`
    You aint kidding. My bar tab easily doubled last season, due to that dimwit Chuck B. And his “schemes”…

• http://out-of-whack 909RaiderLifer

PeterGriffen Says:
    July 14th, 2012 at 9:10 am
    CORK…. glad to see you checking pft this morning for a new story

“““““““““““““““““““““““““““`
    I’ll bet Corkran was at a yard sale this morning, when his phone alerted him to the “breaking” news. And he had to over pay for that vintage waffle iron he was haggling over, so that he could post this……

• Just Fire Baby

Watching the Dubs Summer League game.

So far, Harrison Barnes is 0-4 with two airballs, and some 19 y/o French guy is getting in his azz.

SMH

Klay looks great though.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Barnes looked great last nite, so wait awhile for your hating, ok?

• PurpleDrank81

Yeah Barnes had a great nite last night with 23 points…

• Just Fire Baby

Anyone else catching Jerry West’s interview right now?

They asked him if he can expect the 3 rookies to all play this year.

Said Green and Ezeli both are 4 year college guys and provide the two things they need, rebounding and toughness.

Said Barnes “is still a work in progress”.

2012 NBA draft lottery = complete joke

• Raiders for life

I kind of wish Tebow would have stayed in the AFC west. Maybe KC, would have kept things interesting.
    Manning
    Palmer
    Rivers
    Tebow
    Oh well….I’ve got a feeling that Cassel is gonna be Muthr fkn DA after he gets carted off the field.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Just Fire Baby Says:
    July 14th, 2012 at 10:25 am
    This board unamiously loved the Seymour trade and hated the DHB pick.

Wrong on both accounts.

I will hold my thoughts on whether this is a good deal or bad deal until December of this year, and how well Branch does or doesn’t play.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Say what?!
    Unanimous?
    Only half of that was true for me.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Bob Marley Says:
    July 14th, 2012 at 9:14 am
    The deal is worth $26.6 million, $17.1 of which is guaranteed, according to NFL.com’s Steve Wyche.

Good deal both for Branch and the Raiders.

Branch gets good money and will be a Free Agent again at age 29 with a chance to get another decent deal to finish out his career and the Raiders lock up a pretty good player entering his prime
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That about sums it up Marley.
    With the emphasis on the “pretty good” player which is a qualitative judgement.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Chris in NY Says:
    July 14th, 2012 at 10:43 am
    Raiders should be damn good this year, health permitting.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What makes you think that?
    Looks like a re-building year to me.

• Raiders for life

What makes you think that?
    Looks like a re-building year to me.

####################################33

Yes, quite a bit of the front office and coaching staff. Players…not too much change. Actually maybe some upgrades, except for Bush. I’ve got a feeling we might miss him.

• Just Fire Baby

This Green kid though seems like he can be productive on day 1.

Not a super-high ceiling, and I am not sure if he has the size to bang in the paint for 30 minutes a night IMMEDIATELY, but he can shoot, is ALREADY a great passer, plays with energy and passion, etc.

I was more excited on draft night about getting him than Barnes.

• JB

The Raiders have never been a rebuilding type of team. AD always said, we are not rebuilding, we are reloading.

Reggie was brought up & exposed to that mentality. I’m sure his take is that while an actual rebuilding goes on, reloading will take place where it makes sense. Just call it the best of both worlds. Getting rid of overpriced unproductive talent is not rebuilding. It’s just doing your GM job and taking out the trash. Bringing in fast “football” players will certainly help this team improve. Bringing in a competent coaching staff can also do nothing but help at this point in time. Bresnahan leaving can only help our defensive effort. Brining in new more modern thinking coaches can only help make things better.

I’m looking forward to an exciting and successful 2012 season. We are going to be surprising a lot of people. When it’s all said and done, I expect a lot of crow to be served to most of the talking heads.

• TxRaider210

Raidernationdave Says:
    July 14th, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I’m using Chrome for the first time
    ==============
    Used chrome for years man, and Firefox is faster..rules hand down imo

• Raiders for life

JB

Well said and a high five and a pitcher of beer to you.
    Or whatever your flavor is.

• TxRaider210

Good day with the Tyvon signing, watched Savages and took a couple Irish car-bombs. Now time for a doobster:)

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

MistaBrown Says:
    July 14th, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Because you are a dumb d-bag who said Seymour & Kelly’s jog isn’t stopping the run. You also said Lechler isn’t a “placement” kicker. You are on the wrong side of things every time you open your mouth.
    _____

I take this as a compliment from someone who still doesn’t believe in climate change, wanted to cut Janikowsky before last year and needs help operating a tooth brush.

• TxRaider210

Climate change= Al Gore’s fail

• ENGLANDRAIDER

RforL:

I know I’m going to miss Bush.
    I liked that guy from the git go. He just wears down the defense.
    A tough punishing runner.
    Perfect complement to McFadden.

On the other hand each year Bush never seemed to show up in his best shape and got pretty tired himself by the end of a game and by the end of the season he was just phoning it in.

In that TB game, when Cable was coaching, Bush went to the sidelines and asked Cable to take him out for awhile because he was bushed (lol).
    I don’t recall ever seeing a Raider back asking a coach to take him out before.
    He also was not much of a blocker.

I’m still going to miss him and I wished we could have kept him as I’m pretty sure old ginger did.

A punishing back and a great complement-but no replacement-for McFadden.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

I’d like to think it will be between the Raiders & Chiefs in the AFC West.

I’m thinking a multi-blitzing Raider Defense will be too much for Manning in a new system/personnel.

• TxRaider210

KK
    Think it’ll be Raiders and Donks, but we win based off run game and coaching. Crennel is a schitty coach anywhere imo

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

I know I’m going to miss Bush.
    =======================================

Mike Goodson is a very very good player. He can certainly run, he can catch, and he can play special teams. I think he is a guy no one sees coming.

• TxRaider210

Bush and Kam leaving will not hurt the Raiders this year under the new coaches, and yes I’ll listen to the schit if I’m wrong.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

========================================

Problem with that is Peyton gets rid of the rock too fast. He negates any outside rush and feeds on the blitz for that reason. To get to Manning or Brady for that matter you must rush him straight up the gut. Just so happens we have two of the best in the business at that. Send those two guys and then occasionally McClain right behind them and havoc will be wrecked. Too bad 95% of Raider fans don’t get it.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

I’m going to miss Bush, what a security blanket. We have no idea what Mike Goodson’s going to do, except take the word of the homers.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Oakglen, a lot of people came on here when Sebass missed that field goal in 2010 that “lost a game” and wanted to cut him.
    They forgot about all the kicks that kept us going in a game and all the long azz field goals that he made.

• TxRaider210

If Manning isn’t losing sleep over Burris, I’m happy:) Let him surprise him off the edge

• PurpleDrank81

If Goodson has fixed his fumbling issues he will be a nice fit

• PurpleDrank81

I really cant wait to see Burris on the field…. I actually cant wait until Pre-Season. I get to see TP and Burris play and Im very interested in Streeter and Criner too…. Life is good when you bleed silver and black

• Mr Green

I know it will be the Raidahs vs the Giants in Nawleens.

:mrgreen: Oh Yeah!

• ENGLANDRAIDER

JB Says:
    July 14th, 2012 at 4:28 pm
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

LOL.
    So, all those coaches (seven since Gruden and 2001) were “reloading”?

• http://out-of-whack 909RaiderLifer

From the former blog pimp……

Jerry McDonald @Jerrymcd 8h
    If Branch is as good as Raiders think he might be in new scheme, his deal will look like a bargain a year from now.

• TxRaider210

PurpleDrank81 Says:
    July 14th, 2012 at 4:54 pm

————
    Yep, I think Burris, Bartell, Shonasty and Tyvon will hold it down, and CP will have many targets this year. It only goes up from here as far as defense and discipline.

• http://InsidetheOaklandRaiders Goldie7

TxRaider210 Says:
    July 14th, 2012 at 1:54 pm
    Goldie7 Says:
    July 14th, 2012 at 12:31 pm

TxRaider210 Says:
    July 14th, 2012 at 10:24 am
    Goldie7 Says:
    July 14th, 2012 at 10:22 am

Phenomenal News! We’ve got our guy for a long time! Thanks for the update Cork! Now if we can find a solution for Martian head Manning…I’ll like my chances. Just saying.
    —————–
    Burris and Bartell could end up being Manning’s worst nightmare imo
    ************************************************
    Sorry about the delay Tx…I had to step away from my computer. Anyway, I hope Burris and Bartell end up being Martian head worst nightmare. I’m not sold just yet. I hope we have a couple of tricks up our sleeves. Who knows? I like your confidence, Man.
    —————–
    It’s all good, I just went to see Savages at the movies..decent flick, just a bit too Hollywood for my taste. I’ve been sold on Bartell and have a gut feeling that Burris will be the defensive star at LB when given the chance. We do know the Ravens were high on him as well..
    ****************************************
    lol…that’s good you enjoyed the flick. I’m looking forward for The Amazing SpiderMan to come out on dvd.

• TxRaider210

@191 It was a better movie the more I think about it, Salma Hayek and Benecio del Toro made that flick.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Seymour Bush Says:
    July 14th, 2012 at 4:48 pm
    ========================================

Problem with that is Peyton gets rid of the rock too fast.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Holy Toledo!

Yes sir, a Raider blitzing offense is like Christmas came early for Manning.

• JB

ENGLANDRAIDER Says:
    July 14th, 2012 at 4:36 pm

RforL:

I know I’m going to miss Bush.
    I liked that guy from the git go. He just wears down the defense.
    A tough punishing runner.
    *************************
    Three atempts from the one and no score is NOT what I call a punishing RB unless you were referring he was punishing the S&B. His last six games as a starter proved that he was a back-up best case. I won’t miss him. we can do much better.I believe we’ll get another RB who can start & hold up & make a 1 yard run when it counts. That RB will be used if DMac goes down & on short yardage. INO, the off pace substitute for DMac will be Taiwan Jones.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

909RaiderLifer Says:
    July 14th, 2012 at 4:56 pm
    From the former blog pimp……

Jerry McDonald @Jerrymcd 8h
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Steve’s a good writer as well but I kind of miss Jerry McD’s heavy sarcasm.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

JB Says:
    July 14th, 2012 at 5:10 pm
    ENGLANDRAIDER Says:
    July 14th, 2012 at 4:36 pm

RforL:

I know I’m going to miss Bush.
    I liked that guy from the git go. He just wears down the defense.
    A tough punishing runner.
    *************************
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

JB, it looks like you’re a little selective with your cut and paste since I clearly said in that post that Bush wore out as the game and the season went on and that really showed by the end of the season.

• Missus Beeecham

HEYDY DOODY ROLL THAT BOOTY

Me and my girlfriend just sittin on the couch drinkin gallo wine listenin to the indigo girls and kd lang. We’re havin guests over later for a party. Gonna get 5 pizzas for 5 bucks and eat them. Me and my girlfriend aint got nothin to hide. Might even let you know who wins the deuce droppin contest. My ex showed me how to roll with that, the bum. He could lay down a mean deuce I must say.

SLURP N BURP

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

KoolKell Says:
    July 14th, 2012 at 5:12 pm
    Bob Marley Says:
    July 14th, 2012 at 9:11 am

Yeah, the Raiders traded up for the 1st pick in the 4th round to get Branch, great pick now validated by Reggie McKenzie and Dennis Allen.
    ——————-
    So happy Mr Davis has been vindicated. :-)

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Holy Toledo!

Yes sir, a Raider blitzing offense is like Christmas came early for Manning.
    =================================

This is exactly right. Manning feasts on those situations. But playing cover and coming up in his face causes him to move around at which he really is not very good.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

KoolKell Says:
    July 14th, 2012 at 4:39 pm
    I’d like to think it will be between the Raiders & Chiefs in the AFC West.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I hear you swabbie.
    The way God meant it to be huh?