Report: Murphy traded to Panthers

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Monday, July 23rd, 2012 at 10:49 am in Oakland Raiders.

Wide receiver Louis Murphy, the team’s most productive wide receiver in 2009 and 2010, has been traded to the Carolina Panthers, according to the Twitter account of Yahoo Sports! reporter Jason Cole.

There have been no terms announced as yet, nor have the Raiders or Panthers confirmed the deal.

Murphy, who was the keynote speaker on behalf of the Raiders Saturday at a youth sports clinic at Kezar Stadium in San Francisco, struggled last season after undergoing sports hernia surgery late in training camp.

With the ascension of Denarius Moore in 2011, the quantum leap in performance by Darrius Heyward-Bey, along with strong showings by fifth-round draft pick Juron Criner and undrafted free agent Rod Streater this offseason, Murphy’s grip on a roster spot was tenuous.

Murphy caught 75 passes for 1,130 yards in his first two season after being a fourth-round draft pick out of Florida, the most of any of the Raiders wide receivers.

The Raiders made one previous deal with Carolina this offseason, getting running back Mike Goodson in exchange for offensive lineman Bruce Campbell.

• guest123

Hoping that we can somehow schlep off McCheeze to Carolina before they get onto us.

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

guest123 Says:
    July 23rd, 2012 at 11:22 am
    ——————
    lol

• raiderjhawk

I bet it’s a 6th round pick, I wouldn’t be surprised if they bring in a vet WR now either.

• SR Raider

This is a good sign that both Criner and Streeter are fitting in well. Could be a big year. In Reg we trust

• DennisAllensVisor

We have 3 open roster spots now.

• TxRaider210

guest123 Says:
    July 23rd, 2012 at 11:22 am

————————
    LOL Then right before the season their GM wakes up and realizes he got shafted.

• guest123

and over $6 million in cap space….

2 WORDS …

Terrell Owens !!

• TxRaider210

So does RM bring in a vet WR, TE maybe CB to compete? Any thoughts..

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

Only a guess, but maybe Carolina initially called asking about Moore or Ford. Reggie probably responded with “No, but how about Murphy?”

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

aiderDuck Says:
    July 23rd, 2012 at 11:30 am
    ———————-
    I could see that!

• TxRaider210

RaiderDuck Says:
    July 23rd, 2012 at 11:30 am

————-
    If they asked about Moore, I think Reg would have hung up on them….Ford I could see them asking about.lol

Carolina can still have JFORD for a bag of Doritos!

• TxRaider210

RR
    No love for the little guy Ford eh?lol

@Tx

sleepy dwarf has too many drops, fumbles & bad routes for my liking … plus he’s always “nicked”

maybe we got ROG’s boy Seyi Ajirotutu ??

• SR Raider

CB, LB and TE are the positions that need help. My guess is CB for the big signing – too many question marks at that position

Reggie was short a late rounder in next year’s draft due to the Aaron Curry trade..

not anymore!!

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

RaiderRockstar Says:
    July 23rd, 2012 at 11:32 am
    Carolina can still have JFORD for a bag of Doritos!
    ——————-
    anything short of a lifetime supply wouldn’t be fair.

• Just Fire Baby

I don’t think we could get a 5th rounder for him, unless it was in 2014.

• guest123

**********

All that analysis for a 2 year career?

Marco Belinelli to Bulls deal done

• TxRaider210

RaiderRockstar Says:
    July 23rd, 2012 at 11:36 am
    @Tx

————–
    Yeah I hear that man, if we’d have sent him and Murphy, maybe RM could have landed a decent player..

• Just Fire Baby

The Reggie is a football nerd, they may have someone on their practice squad or something that he really liked.

I wouldn’t be suprised if it were for a 2014 7th rounder and some offensive tackle we never heard of.

• DennisAllensVisor

Most likely a perforance based pick..

• theghostronin79

I had my doubts that Murph would make the roster this year anyway. I’ve said as much….Guess management felt the same way. Good luck to him….and I agree, that TD from Walrus Monday night opener was Highway ROBBERY.

• guest123

sleepy dwarf 12 > King darrius

print that!

• theghostronin79

sleepy dwarf 12 > King darrius

=============

Maybe if he stays healthy. It’s the only thing I can knock him for.

sleepy dwarf 12 > King darrius

print that!

***

bwahahahahahaha!!

printed twice

• TxRaider210

theghostronin79 Says:
    July 23rd, 2012 at 11:47 am
    sleepy dwarf 12 > King darrius

=============

Maybe if he stays healthy. It’s the only thing I can knock him for.

————–
    Yeah no kidding, health is key this year, but Ford has shown amazing return ability so that solidifies his job imo.

JFORD bailed out Jason Campbell once upon a time as a rookie against the Chiefs, I know I know

before then?
    since then?

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

I thought Penn State kinda got off light. I know these are substantial penalties, but I think they should have gotten the “Death Penalty”

If they’d leased a Cadillac for a Star Player……..

• theghostronin79

Ford has shown amazing return ability

================

Absolutely. Most electrifying returner we got and have had for a long time.

• TxRaider210

theghostronin79 Says:
    July 23rd, 2012 at 11:51 am
    Ford has shown amazing return ability

================

Absolutely. Most electrifying returner we got and have had for a long time.

——————–
    Yep, and I think we’d all rather have him handling returns than Moore, due to the injury risk that comes with that job.

• DJ Johnny

51.guest123 Says:
    July 23rd, 2012 at 11:22 am

Before they “get onto us”? Lmao.

Derrick Rose out until likely March

***

think the Bulls will still make the playoffs?

Heat
    Celtics
    Pacers
    Knicks
    Hawks
    Nets
    76ers
    Bucks

???

• Thec

Look at the WR corp as a UNIT and not by the indivudal parts.

How did DHB perform when JFORD, and DMO were on the field?

The corp when healthy will be very hard to defend.

Getting rid of JFORD makes about as much sense as signing BRL.

• guest123

I wonder why Murph was “not happy with the Raiders”. What did they do to upset him? Bring in rookie talent to push him to the roster bubble? Shame on the Raiders, to do that to him!

Sorry LM, I don’t get your angst. Not the Raiders fault that you are always hurt.

it would be funny if BigMac traded Rolando World Peace to the Panthers in exchange for LB’s Jason Phillips & Kion Wilson !!

@G123 #88

maybe the “hamstring strain” report was overblown and he could have been a participant at OTA’s ??

perhaps BigMac kept him on the shelf during OTA’s to prevent injury so he could trade him following the draft ??

• theghostronin79

=================

Probably felt like he was “The Man” for a couple years. Thinking about the Pitt game and what-not. Maybe saw this coming and soured about it awhile ago. Who knows.

• DutchRaider77

Good Luck Murpy, great trade Reggie!

Why is Ford a Kick returner, if JLH was too small to be a kickoff returner? Never understood this?

• guest123

hamstrings are tricky injuries. maybe he could’ve participated in OTA’s. Maybe at greater than acceptable risk for the REGGIE’s taste. Maybe that pissed off LM. Whatever…

Now he can go to Carolina and test that hammy. Business decision is all it was. Nothing more. No need to be angry at the REGG.

***

DAV’s reporting is taken as gospel in here, even after he refuses to provide a link/source

LOL!!

Wish I had a reputation like that. semi pro’s can smell my stink from a mile away :P

• TxRaider210

RaiderRockstar Says:
    July 23rd, 2012 at 11:57 am

——————-
    Now that’s the kind of kool-aid I’m talkin about! I’d even be happy sending 55 for LB Wilson and Gamble their CB.

• theghostronin79

Kinda like being in a relationship that’s run it’s course. One person pulls the trigger and ends it, and the other gets “Dumped”. The dumped one cries victimization and gets angry usually. Even if the relationship was going nowhere.

• guest123

LOL!!

********

Here’s your link RRS

• TxRaider210

theghostronin79 Says:
    July 23rd, 2012 at 12:03 pm

————
    Very true man, maybe Murphy is just bitter that he got dumped and didn’t pull the trigger first..lol

This time around, the expectation is that Oakland will likely receive a draft pick. According to Henry Wofford of CSNBayArea.com, Murphy was “not happy with the Raiders [and] wanted out” of Oakland.

***