An Al Davis tradition lives on _ Raiders in Napa

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Friday, July 27th, 2012 at 9:14 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Here’s a sneak preview of some Sunday stuff for print which has already been posted on-line . . .

Raiders embark on first camp without Al Davis

Five questions for training camp

Training camp facts

Training camp roster/depth chart

Note: Neglected to post this earlier, but NFL Network reporting third-round pick Tony Bergstrom is locked up. You can expect the same for fifth-rounder Juron Criner, to be announced either Sunday or Monday.

For anyone who thought either wouldn’t be there for Day 1 . . . you worry too much.

The schedule for this weekend: players begin rolling in Saturday, they’ll be buried in meetings Sunday and the first practice (in pads) will be Monday morning. No “dress rehearsal” walk-throughs to get thing started. Thank goodness.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

LOL Chico.
    Chicks in Qatar don’t wear skirts?

• JB

CODE BLACK 2012
    LET IT BEGIN!!!

• JB

OPENING NIGHT CEREMONIES IN NAPA

Buzz cuts for all rookies.

• Just Fire Baby

*************************

Ouch…..Jerry with a shot across the bow

• Humpster

Our D has to be better this year, cuz it can’t be worse that it was last year. How many teams ran over and passed over us? 99 and 99 and a half yards was puke. So with that putrid D we had, we were still close. Very close. Stop a 99 yard drive which we knew wasn’t gonna happen, and we’re in the post season. Stop a 99&1/2 drive and, you guessed it. So this year, judging by how horrible awful our D was last year, I’d say we’re a lock with the new defensive unit and staff we got this year. It’s almost a no brainer.

There were times last year when I just said to myself about the D unit, these guys do not know how to play football. They are absolutely f’ing clueless. And they were. But this year, look for a top ten unit and into the post season.

• J Hill

Beautiful bounce, lol.

• J Hill

Wow, that was a terrible throw, lol.

Looked retarded more than anything.

I’d bet he hasn’t caught a runner stealing all year.

• J Hill

There is going to be a level of accountability on defense that hasn’t been there in a while.

I think we will see missed assignments = benchings.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see a big name cut by The Reggime to drive home a point.

• JB

J Hill Says:
    July 27th, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I think we will see missed assignments = benchings.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see a big name cut by The Regime to drive home a point.
    **************************

McCheese has to be on the top of that list.

• JB

Followed closely by Huff24.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

So the offense is all Greg Knapp, aka Lane Kiffins offense when he was here……..

• JB

KoolKell Says:
    July 27th, 2012 at 9:53 pm

So the offense is all Greg Knapp, aka Lane Kiffins offense when he was here……..
    **********************
    I think it will be a run first intermingled with long bombs instead of check down pases. Similar but different.

• J Hill

Not likely, JB.

On both counts.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

I hope so, because the dink & dunk takes 10 – 15 plays executed perfectly, to score a touchdown

• J Hill

I’d be very disappointed if the offense were the same as when Kiffin was here.

I can understand the conservative offense with McClown and Russkall coupled with with rookie WRs. But with the talent he has at his disposal this time around, I think we will see the type of results Knapp got in SF.

• J Hill

I hope we see a lot of different formations.

2 TEs with Reece and DMac in the backfield.

3 and 4 WRs.

DMac and Jones on the field at the same time.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

01′ 49ers 3 rd in pts
    02′ 49ers 13 in pts
    03′ 49 ears 9th in points

Knapp OC San Francisco 01 – 03′

• Raidernationdave

C’mon JFB you weren’t worried. Right?

+++++++++++++

Just Fire Baby Says:
    July 27th, 2012 at 9:35 pm

*************************

Ouch…..Jerry with a shot across the bow
    Just Fire Baby Says:
    July 27th, 2012 at 9:35 pm

*************************

Ouch…..Jerry with a shot across the bow

• JB

I’m not sold on Knapp. I agree with J Hill that we have a ton of offensive weapons & we have what I believe is a franchise QB. Topping that off will be a significantly upgraded O-line. If Knapp can’t get us to a top 5 offense, he will have failed in my book.

• J Hill

Ok, JFB.

Gave it 9 strong innings.

I’m about to pass out.

Good game.

• DJ Johnny

“I ain’t playing for peanuts man. Anybody that saw me at practice knows what I can do. If Raiders don’t wanna pay me i’ll just go somehwere else. I gotta eat man”.

• http://www.evilbible.com/Rape.htm Silverandblack666

We were 9th in offense last year so anything less than that would be a disaster for Knapp.

• Scrotum Rash

******************************************************
    We were 32nd in defense last year so anything greater than that will be a disaster for Allen.

• Scrotum Rash

We don’t believe the Raiders will win the AFC West because of their cornerbacks. Shawntae Spencer and Ronald Bartell are veterans that were cut for a reason last year. DeMarcus Van Dyke and Chimdi Chekwa for the old Oakland scheme and didn’t play well last year. This position is a grab bag, and we’re not sure there are any right answers for coach Dennis Allen.

BRING BACK NAMDI, JUST DO IT REGGIE

• Scrotum Rash
  • DJ Johnny

24.Scrotum Rash Says:
    July 27th, 2012 at 10:39 pm

BRING BACK NAMDI, JUST DO IT REGGIE

Has Nnamdi ever played on a team that had a winning record?

• DJ Johnny

23.Scrotum Rash Says:
    July 27th, 2012 at 10:32 pm
    ******************************************************

I love your name Scrotum Rash but we were actually 29th in defense.

Your point is well taken though.

• Scrotum Rash

Namdi was a shut down corner. No use cryin over spilt milk, wasn’t his fault he played during our dog years. But our CB position will be our wink link. Solid everywhere else.

• Scrotum Rash

BTW DJ, we may have been 29th with the D, but after the 99 yard meltdown, twice, we were 32nd in my book. Should of been 33rd.

• DJ Johnny

Sorry Scrotum. I get it now. Can’t be any worse than # 32…

Just get us to around average on D.

Interesting that most of the top teams in the league had lousy defenses.

Giants-29th in pass D.

Packers-15 and 1 reg season and worst pass defense in NFL history (most yds. given up)

New England- Weren’t they like 30th in defense?

Could we be overrating the value of a good pass defense? Is that something Reggie is thinking?

Nobody wants “bad” defenses but teams won..and big w/o it last yr.

• DJ Johnny

I should add though that GB’s first 6 players taken in the draft were defensive guys, so apparently they don’t like that whole bad defense thing.

• Raidernationdave

These are but a few questions of the dozens I think most of the Nation might want to ask.

Q: Will there be a primary base defense run or will the defense be hybrid 3-4/4-3?

Q: Is the back-up QB position set or is there going to be a competition between ML and TP?

Q: Can Miles Burris make a huge impact right away and become a force on defense?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Five questions as the Oakland Raiders begin training camp

By Jerry McDonald

jmcdonald@bayareanewsgroup.com
    Posted: 07/27/2012 08:33:29 PM PDT
    Updated: 07/27/2012 08:33:30 PM PDT

FIVE QUESTIONS ENTERING TRAINING CAMP

• DJ Johnny

29.Scrotum Rash Says:
    July 27th, 2012 at 10:58 pm

You’re right Scrotum. I’ll take it a step further and say 133rd.

I’ve seen some Raider D’s that were bad but last yr’s. takes the cake. In fact they don’t even deserve to take any cake.

• DJ Johnny

21.DJ Johnny Says:
    July 27th, 2012 at 10:23 pm

BTW that was a Kerry Collins quote…(my best recollection of it).

• DJ Johnny

Raidernationdave Says:
    July 27th, 2012 at 11:06 pm

I predict Miles Burris will be a stud. I hope he destroys Peyton Manning. Not that I wanna see him hurt but I can’t help wanting the Raiders to be the team that makes him regret joining Denver.

• Try Some Reality

==========================

Haha

• DJ Johnny

Guilty as charged.

Interesting that: Peyton Manning is 36, Drew Brees is 33, Tom Brady turns 35 next week and Eli will be 32 in January but Carson Palmer at 32 is on the “downslide” of his career and washed up.

• JLofty

Oh good, the kids are signed. I can go to bed now…

• J-Raider

im still shocked that a fifth round draft choice is one of 3 unsigned rookies left in the nfl.. criner. wouldnt have thought he would still be unsigned two days before camp starts.

• J-Raider

well this blog is busy tonight…

zzZZzzZZzzZZzzZZzzZZzzZZzzZZzzZZzz

• lefty12

*****************************************************
    Think that might have something to do with the jersey he will be wearing?

• dcraiderfan

1: Is Carson Palmer still a premiere NFL quarterback? He’ll have an entire training camp this time, but also an entirely new offensive system which will demand versatility. No and nothing else will my mind!

2:Can Darren McFadden remain healthy? McFadden appeared en route to a 1,500-yard-plus season until a mid-foot ankle sprain. He’s never played more than 13 games in a season. This team needed JCampbell to hold everything together but Spuds let him go to Chicago!

3: How will new coach Dennis Allen hold players accountable? Allen is promising accountability for a team prone to penalties and mental mistakes. He’ll set the tone in camp. Its hopeless because with one defender will cause more penalties aka Seymour!

4:What happens with Rolando McClain? The new regime likes what it’s seen in terms of dedication and work ethic of the disappointing middle linebacker. But there’s a sixth-month jail sentence under appeal. Let him be responsible for himself and let the team cut him!

5: What receiver steps up to join Darrius Heyward-Bey? Last year’s rookie flash Denarius Moore heads the list, but keep an eye on Jacoby Ford and fifth-round pick Juron Criner. DHB isn’t the player this team needs. If the remaining wide outs can remain healthy and let Gannon continue to work with Terrell we could see a better season. Not what crybaby Palmer sees “post season play” not for three years at least. The team woes continues!

• Thec

TPRYOR in some deep pain.

Loses mentor 4 days ago.
    Then 1 day later loses father…

TPRYOR, thoughts and prayers to you and ya family.

Where is the Rockstar this morning?

I’ve got a few questions for him. I was reading up on our division rival The Kaaaaannnsaaaasss Ciiiiity Chiefs, when I noticed…and I swear I’m not making this ish up….google it if ya wanna, that the KC Offenive Quality Control coach is a fella named…… Jim Bob Cooter.

Since I assume Mr. Cooter lives in Mizzou, I wanna know if this Podunkian lives anywhere near Rockstar’s neck of the woods.

More importantly, has RRS ever been frog giggin or squirrel huntin with said Jim Bob.

Because The Raider Nation needs to know if a respected member, and founding father of the semi-pros has been, in any way, fraternizing with the enemy.

What sayeth thee, in thy defense, Rockstar? Hmmmm?

***

bwahahahahahahaha!!

good one, Buckeye

wait – my bro Jim Bob works for KC ???

why didn’t he tell me?

by the way, I took Thursday & Friday off work this week. thats why I wasnt a part of the AM crew.

I did pop in yesterday evening to get up to speed though and found out about Big Wiz!!

in all seriousness, my wife grew up in this town of 300 and her graduating class was like 12, I think. one of the guys she grew up & went to school with K-12 was named Jim Bob, lol

• ENGLANDRAIDER

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Definitely Jery.
    I’m worried especially about the OL. Good news to see Bergstrom signed.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

*Jerry.

I’m worried especially about the OL. Good news to see Bergstrom signed.

***

the OL held up pretty well last year, but I can see the reason for your concern

1. moving to a strict zbs
    2. Wylie & Wiz out as coaches
    3. Barnes retained at RT
    4. Wiz moved from LG to C
    5. Carlisle moved from RG to LG

what are the odds Juron Criner goes to Vegas tonight after signing his contract and starts spraying everybody with dom perignon ???

• Just Fire Baby

Hanley is going to catch one in the ribs for those shenanigans on his home run trot last night.

Giants dugout was not amused.