Branch, Seymour and McFadden talk about culture change

From the new coaching staff to the roster to the way business is conducted by the Raiders these days, it’s not difficult to notice that this is the dawn of a “new era,” as the Raiders media guide touts in block letters.
Things were run a specific way under late owner Al Davis for most of the past 50 years or so. Change abounds in Raidersland these days.
“They’re real strict on discipline now,” strong safety Tyvon Branch said, “as far as showing up to meetings. They’re even making us check in for lunches and dinners now. They’re trying to change the discipline factor.”
Let’s just assume that Branch meant showing up on time to meetings and not just showing up, period. Either way, general manager Reggie McKenzie and coach Dennis Allen have a way that they want things done, and the players are learning that, you either climb aboard or get left at the station.
Bottom line, running back Darren McFadden and defensive tackle Richard Seymour said, it’s incumbent upon the players to take what they hear and see from their coaches and get it to translate onto the field.
“Just knowing where to be and where to be at the right time and being there on time, that’s one main thing for us,” McFadden said. “And I feel by tightening down a lot of things. that’s going to help the guys and that’s going to translate on to the playing fields.”
Seymour said there needed to be change, if for no other reason than the fact the Raiders went 8-8 last season and missed the playoffs for the ninth straight season.
Yet, the players shouldn’t have to be told what needs to be done. If they do need to be told, well, then, they should be able to do as told.
“We’re all grown men and we should all know how to follow the rules,” Seymour said. “I don’t think that’s a big adjustment if that’s who you are. That’s who you should be anyway.”

– Allen said he intends on using McFadden in exhibition games and not holding him out the way the San Diego Chargers used to do with lead back LaDainian Tomlinson.
That’s fine with McFadden, he said. Give him the ball and let him do what he does best.
“It’s whatever he decides to give me,” McFadden said of Allen. “If he wants me out there eight or nine plays, that’s fine. If he wants me out there 20 plays, that’s fine. It’s not a big deal to me. It’s playing football. I enjoy doing that. I love being out there doing it.”
As for McFadden’s role, he said he doesn’t mind if he is used primarily as a ballcarrier or if offensive coordinator Greg Knapp uses him as a wide receiver from time to time.
Former Raiders coach Tom Cable capitalized on McFadden’s ability to create a mismatch in the Raiders favor by lining him up out wide every now and then. That’s something that Cable’s successor, Hue Jackson, got away from.
It says here that the Raiders would be wise to go back to using McFadden as many ways as possible. Seeing him lined up against a safety or smaller cornerback oftentimes spelled doom for the opponent.
McFadden said he has heard the talk about him being injury-prone and not durable enough to hold up over the course of a 16-game season.
It’s something that he takes in stride, confident in the fact his injuries have been more of a fluke thing and not the result of his not being in shape or being able to play through pain.
“You hear that all the time, but that’s something I can’t do anything about,” McFadden said. “It’s not like I’m going out there and just falling over and getting hurt. I’m out there playing and going hard. So I can live with that if I get hurt that way.”
Through it all, McFadden doesn’t intend to change his aggressive style of play. It’s what makes him so successful, even if it also makes him more susceptible to injury.
“It’s one of those things, it happens in football,” McFadden said of injuries. “I can’t say I’m unlucky about it because I’m a very blessed person to even be playing in this league. I just go out there and take it one day at a time. I can’t control injuries. If I get hurt, I’m going to get hurt going hard because that’s something I can’t control, and I’m not going to go out there and play not to get hurt.”

– Seymour isn’t one to talk much about injuries. In fact, one time he chided me for asking a player about his injury status in the locker room.
Hence, it’s not surprising that Seymour isn’t keen about writing off his up-and-down play last season to his myriad injuries.
“Injuries are a part of the game,” Seymour said. “You never want to talk about injuries. That’s one thing you really don’t want to get into, how bad you’re hurt or whatever the case may be.
“I came out of the gate well and then a knee injury, and then I kind of slowed down from there. Toward the end of the year, I started to regain my form a little bit. I’m optimistic and feeling good right now. Feeling good and excited about the season. I’ll be ready to go.”
Seymour added that he is excited about the change in the Raiders defensive philosophy from one that relied upon man coverage, four defensive linemen rushin the passer and a dearth of blitzing.
Under first-year coordinator Jason Tarver, the Raiders intend to be what Allen calls “multiple.” That means an infusion of a 3-4 alignment, more zone coverage and frequent blitzing from all over the field.
“If you want to be one of the best, or one of the elite, in the league, you have to be able to do multiple things,” Seymour said. “Be versatile, playing this front, that front, rush the passer, stop the run, just being an every-down player. That’s how you make yourself valuable. It’s hard work but this is a big-boy league.”
Branch said he and his teammates are excited about the prospect of playing in a varied scheme, where teams aren’t as apt to know what’s coming on a given down.
“It’s a lot of new stuff we’re learning,” Branch said. “We were primarily a man-to-man team, so to get some zone stuff, some different stuff going in, there’s definitely a lot of learning going into it. But everybody is up to the challenge.”

Steve Corkran

• guest123

There are holdovers from the previous regime that are going to surprise and blossom under DA. And there will be some surprising mainstays who will see their careers end shortly. Of the list above, I think Branch, and Huff will take their games to new levels, while Curry, McClain, and Barnes are not on the 2013 roster. Reggie will find upgrades for all of them.

• J Hill

Give them all a clean slate (except Slo)

———————————————————–

Ok….

Let’s offically kick this camp thing off, lol.

Why should 55 be the ONLY exception?

• Marks hair

148. Even branch?

• J Hill

Branch just signed a long term contract, Dakota.

Doubt he’s gone next year under any scenario.

• guest123

152.

Sorry, I’m mixing in my anti-55 bias.

• J Hill

My surprise prediction for camp is that Tony Bergstrom is going to usurp starting LG Cooper Carlisle

————————————————————-

Way to go out on a limb, bruh.

• J Hill

What do you anti 55 guys need to see from him this season for you to think he’s living up to his draft status?

• guest123

I’m glad that basekball season is over. All the post NBA draft and trade talk was like sitting in on a women’s sewing circle. I was completely out of my element.

Back to NFL football!

• Dakota

154.J Hill Says:
    July 30th, 2012 at 7:42 am
    Branch just signed a long term contract, Dakota.

Doubt he’s gone next year under any scenario.

+++++++++++++

We shall see….if he keeps looking confused as the D gives up passing TDs and continues to fail to make any plays inside of 5 yards of the LOS, the new regime may very well admit their error and send him packing.

Branch may have some of you fooled, but he is still just an average safety in my book until he starts making an impact on games.

• Marks hair

I dont think any of the young guys earn starting roles.. Maybe thru injury..

Rob_raider Says:
    July 29th, 2012 at 10:43 pm
    all of u cooper carlisle bashers don’t really know ur bizness. the man is a battler. he’s a ZBS guy. knows his angles and fights. he gets it done for the most part. and barnes is not bad either. the o-line is above average. not very much depth though.

the passing game should be very good this season. palmer has a chance to start from training camp. having 2 actual starters at wr and not 5 or 6 guys trying to be starters will help too. dhb and moore are the guys and they should have big years. i’m thinking 80/122/8 for dhb and 65/950/6 for moore. ford is a return man. he’ll see 25/350/1. it’s criner that will come up and get 45/650/8. streater and calhoun are development guys. ausberry could have a nice year too. something like 45/650/5.

the running game is top notch as long as dmc is healthy. goodson is perfect as a backup. he can handle 20 carries if needed, but if dmc is healthy, he won’t see much. jones should get 10 touches a game though. he’s light but he’s a big play waiting to happen.
    *************************

What? You dont know what the fk you are talking about! Stop posting please…you’re embarrassing yourself here! Carlisle is awful! He has got worse each year since 07. They are not gonna run the Tom Cable version of the ZBS….you need to talk to Raider Dell about this. Carlisle lacks the size and strength at 35 to be a starter in the NFL. He is soft and under 300 lbs. He got physically punked alot last year. No he doesnt get it done….watching him and Satele next to each other made me puke at the Coliseum. This is why we are all excited about Bergstrom because he is big,mean, strong and nasty at 6’6 313 lbs. See our guys now have athleticism to do ZBS but also have the means to show power when the field shortens.

DHB will only be starter for so long because he is abot to get ovetaken by that rookie by November. Ausberry? LOL hahahahahahahahaha I doubt he does all that. He got alot to learn about being a TE….Myers will start over him we dont go after Jeremy Shockey

• RAIDERMAN99

There is still a heap of garbage left over from Al Davis that either needs to be thrown out, or needs to be recycled into professional players.

Branch
    McClain
    Barnes
    Curry
    Huff

Just to name a few.

Get it together and start producing or you are gone after this season once Reggie has some room to maneuver.
    ==================================================
    You sure you want Branch at the top of this list ?

Could be that Reggie signed Ty to a longterm deal just for cap reasons and to expand his maneuvering room, but I doubt it.

Agree with the rest of your list with the possible exception of Curry.

Curry might be a little light in the dura-matter department, but he’s probably the best banger and hardest hitter the defense has.

Branch will pop you too.

Got to have some guys willing to lay the lumber.

• Marks hair

157. They’ll need a defensive mvp award.lol

J Hill Says:
    July 30th, 2012 at 7:43 am

————————————————————-

Way to go out on a limb, bruh.
    *******************8

LOL…but I’m with him though….we dont wanna see Carlisle start. 35 and switching sides with limited strength is not encouraging for most of us. Out with old and in with the new

Bigger surprise is someone beating out Barnes sorry ass for RT

• guest123

********

One: He needs to play smarter, stop jogging after ball carriers, play his correct gap, be more aggressive in tackling, not take plays or series off.

Two: He needs to show some humility that he’s not this all world LB that he acts like. He comes off as a superstar type with no play to back up that act. He’s got the “airs” around the the fans and media.
    D!ckhead all the way around. He’s done nothing to win the graces of the Nation.

• Dakota

You sure you want Branch at the top of this list ?

++++++++++++

That was in no particular order….Branch would be the last of that bunch that I would expect to wash out after this season….but the possibility is still there.

Seymour Bush Says:
    July 29th, 2012 at 10:46 pm
    Wow one play….next
    ================================

Uh, last time I looked the Raider defense was giving up 5+ yards per rush. That’s more than one play.
    ***********************************

Dline lol….keep running into the trap

• Marks hair

I can normally count on branch to make tackles.. Thats more than I can say for alot if our past safeties. Plus he can blitz.

• bcz24

157.J Hill Says:
    July 30th, 2012 at 7:45 am
    ****************
    I want to see him accurately diagnosing run plays and filling the right holes. I want to see plays in the backfield. I DON’T want to see him jogging down the field after RB’s

KoolKell Says:
    July 29th, 2012 at 10:51 pm
    The Raider DT’s were not asked to stop the Run.
    ****************

That is first part of job description for DTs…Kell you know you are wrong!

We ran same defense as 2000-2002…did our DTs stop run?

• DEATHROW 55

McClain also suplexed Dustin Keller a te, so don’t know why so many haters talk schhhitt about him picking on lil players….. , this his last yr to prove him self, yr 3. So far dhb, Dmac have turned it around so I have faith in Romac.

• guest123

Suprise training camp development #2,

On defense, Chimdi Chekwa seizes the starting CB spot opposite of Ron Bartell in a big way. Shawntae Spencer is beaten out of the spot so badly, he’s cut from the team.

Yeah, yeah, I know what you are thinking…

Way to go out on a limb…

lol

• bcz24

***************
    Technically Curry is NOT part of the AD era, since Hue traded for him in the days after Al’s passing.

Marks Hair Says:
    July 30th, 2012 at 7:47 am
    I dont think any of the young guys earn starting roles.. Maybe thru injury..
    ********************

And why is that?

• bcz24

I am gonna go WAY out on a limb here… Carson Palmer will secure the starting QB spot early on in camp.

• TxRaider210

Branch, Bartell, Burris, Kilgore and Stupar should be very sound tacklers imo.

• Method To My Madness

MCClain surely needs to play to a higher level and Curry needs coverage work but let them have an actual stout dline and their play vastly improves

Curry is moving to SLB which will suit him better

• Dakota

173.bcz24 Says:
    July 30th, 2012 at 7:55 am
    ***************

+++++++++++++++++++++

Well, they said that was in the works under Al….I am putting it on Al, since dead men tell no tales!

• J Hill

Carlisle lacks the size and strength at 35 to be a starter in the NFL. He is soft and under 300 lbs. He got physically punked alot last year. No he doesnt get it done….watching him and Satele next to each other made me puke at the Coliseum. This is why we are all excited about Bergstrom because he is big,mean, strong and nasty at 6′6 313 lbs. See our guys now have athleticism to do ZBS but also have the means to show power when the field shortens.

————————————————————-

On point!

Bcz24 Says:
    July 30th, 2012 at 7:56 am
    *****************

And Dmac secures RB spot

• Marks hair

Raider fans like their players humble..
    Of course its a gladiator type spectator sport where players sacrifice their bodies and brains 4 stardom….

• guest123

******

lol

Actually that’s a pretty big deal. If you look at Seattle who has 3 QB’s that are all battling for the starting spot or Cleveland or Miami. Those are all teams that don’t have a QB….. If you have more than one, then you don’t have any.

• TxRaider210

I’m picking Bergstrom>CC, Chekwa>Bartell and maybe Burris>Curry(depending on his knees)

• J Hill

Seymour Kelly Ivey ShoNasty

Curry 55 Wheeler/Burris

DVD Bartell

Huff Branch

Let’s get at it!!!!!!

Guest123 Says:
    July 30th, 2012 at 7:55 am
    Suprise training camp development #2,

Yeah, yeah, I know what you are thinking…

Way to go out on a limb…

lol
    ******************************

Actually I think Chekwa and Bartell will eventually be the starters

Spencer deserves to be axed with his weird country ass…..DVD I guess by default is the nickel back

• TxRaider210

OOOps I meant Chekwa>spencer

• hwnrdr

Good Morning Nation!!!
    TC in less than an hour! Home with a slight shoulder injury myself, but its all good!
    B, how about them A’s! Kinda sad they couldn’t complete the sweep. What’s going on this Saturday?
    Also, not sure about Dallas game now! We may pass!

• Method To My Madness

Burris will not start over Curry…Curry is SLB not WLB…Burris and Wheeler will battle for WLB

• guest123

Humility is warranted when your play describes the effort and outcome. If #55 was the second coming of Patrick Willis, then the gun toting incidents and media and fan attitude would be forgiven. But play like a chump and then act like a chump and you’re given the cold shoulder. Make sense?

• DEATHROW 55

Carlisle is great for depth, he is undersized but I think he holds his own at times a better run blocker than pass protection. Whats up with barksdale can he make some noise this yr????

• J Hill

Bigger surprise is someone beating out Barnes sorry ass for RT

————————————————————

If Barnes is sorry, why would it be a surprise?

• TxRaider210

I’m hoping Burris can learn to play the inside as well, with his instincts, just in case they need him.

• guest123

Good Morning Hwnrdr! Hope you feel better soon.

• bcz24

180.Method To My Madness Says:

And Dmac secures RB spot
    ******************
    Hey B if you hit on predictions like that you should play the lottery… just sayin’

LOL

• Marks hair

174. I dont see a rook with the skills to compete with our vets. Maybe bergs steps up later in the yr.. but he’ll probably get his chance after coop gets hurt.

Hwnrdr Says:
    July 30th, 2012 at 8:01 am
    Good Morning Nation!!!
    Also, not sure about Dallas game now! We may pass!
    *********************

Still suppose to be on from what I know

Yeah I feel ya on Dallas game….may be in same boat myself big dawg

A’s on fiya….leading wildcard race and only 4.5 back….Texas and Anaheim play these next few game vs each other….we playing Rays….should be fun

J Hill Says:
    July 30th, 2012 at 8:02 am
    Bigger surprise is someone beating out Barnes sorry ass for RT

————————————————————

If Barnes is sorry, why would it be a surprise?
    **********************

Seth Wand and Joe Barksdale is why

Bcz24 Says:
    July 30th, 2012 at 8:03 am
    180.Method To My Madness Says:

And Dmac secures RB spot
    ******************

LOL
    ***************8

HAHA drinks for us all then!

• guest123

188,

I definitely can see Burris at SLB, taking advantage of his lateral quicks. Curry is a one-trick dog with fleas, and another of the posssible “surprise cuts”.

• hwnrdr

Ok cool! Let me know!
    We got The Rays, Blue Jays and Angels next! If the A’s can come out of that winning each series, things will be looking good!