Raiders make it through first day of camp in fine shape despite scare

By Steve Corkran
Monday, July 30th, 2012 at 2:31 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Raiders first-year head coach Dennis Allen emerged from his initial training camp practice in good spirits after what he termed a “pretty good” first practice.
His demeanor no doubt would have been quite different if the left knee injury suffered by wide receiver/kick returner Jacoby Ford midway through practice turned out to be as bad as it looked at first.
Ford turned upfield on one play, made one cut and slipped to the turf, while grabbing his hurt knee. A team athletic trainer immediately came to Ford’s aid and worked on Ford off to the side.
A short time later, Ford appeared headed to the training room. Again, the trainer worked on Ford’s knee as Ford lay on the ground. Then, as if nothing happened, Ford got to his feet, placed on his helmet and jogged downfield to field punts.
“I was scared more than anything,” Ford said, “but I finished practice fine.”
Ford wasn’t the only one concerned, naturally. Several players came over to check on Ford and numerous others watched from afar.
“He’s a good player, and we want to make sure we can keep all our good players healthy,” Allen said. “It was a close call, but he’s fine. It kind of scared him more than it did anything else.”
The rest of the practice went according to plan, with few exceptions.
“We had a pretty good first day of practice,” Allen said. “We’ve still got a lot of things we’ve got to get better at, but I thought for the first day in training camp, it was pretty good.”
Defensive tackle Tommy Kelly said he noticed a change in the ways practices are conducted, if for no other reason than the number of reps taken by the first-team offense and defense.
“It’s definitely different how things are run,” Kelly said. “With the old man (late owner Al Davis), he had been in place for so long, he had stuff just how he wanted. With the new GM and coach Allen, they’re going in a different direction. Just get in line and do what they ask you to do.”

– The Raiders placed linebacker Aaron Curry on the physically unable to perform list because of an ailing knee. He is eligible to be activated at any time during camp.
Curry missed some time during the offseason workouts with what was described as a soft-tissue injury. He spent the early part of practice walking around the practice field.
Punter Shane Lechler (knee), cornerback Ron Bartell (hamstring) and defensive tackle Travis Ivey (conditioning) also missed practice.
Allen said those players are day-to-day. Marquette King filled in for Lechler and DeMarcus Van Dyke replaced Bartell opposite Shawntate Spencer.

– Beat writer Jerry McDonald checked into the rumor about the Raiders and Washington Redskins talking about a possible trade. In short, McDonald learned that it’s “not going to happen.”

– Speaking of Van Dyke, he turned in two impressive plays on passes from Carson Palmer. Both times, he broke on the ball in prompt fashion and broke up the passes.
“He’s a guy that we’re counting on to improve to be a player for us,” Allen said. “Just like I’ve talked to everybody, we’re going to expect him to get a little bit better every day. and if he’ll worry about that, at the end of the day he’ll like the end results.”
So far, so good.

– Wide receivers Rod Streater and Eddie McGee caught the coaches’ attention by hauling in long passes down the sideline. Streater beat Brandon Underwood and Terrail Lambert on his reception. McGee got behind Spencer on his long reception.

– As promised, most of the players that missed some time during the offseason workouts were on the practice field Monday.
Among those were: center Stefen Wisniewski, safety Mike Mitchell, defensive end Matt Shaughnessy and wide receiver Denarius Moore.
In Wisniewski’s case, he returned after missing all the offseason workouts because of a shoulder surgery.
“I was standing around doing nothing for a while and I didn’t like that,” Wisniewski said. “It’s been seven months since I’ve played football, and it feels great to be back.”
Wisniewski’s return gave Allen his first look at the projected starting offensive line, with Jared Veldheer at left tackle, Cooper Carlisle at left guard, Wisniewski in the middle, Mike Brisiel at right guard and Khalif Barnes at right tackle.
Second-year player Joseph Barksdale spent his time at left tackle and rookie Tony Bergstrom at left guart with the second-team.

– Not a great start for backup quarterback Terrelle Pryor. On one play, he fumbled the exchange from center. Later, he stumbled on his drop-back and then made an ill-advised pass that rookie defensive lineman Christo Bilukidi intercepted and returned for a touchdown.
Bilukidi said he read the play well and just jumped it when he saw Pryor look his way on a screen pass.
“Yeah, I just read it,” Bilukidi said. “It seemed like everything that coach was teaching us, how to read plays, how to read the offense (paid off). I saw it was a screen, I just backed up and then just had to make a play.”
As for Pryor, Allen said he remains confident in Pryor’s abilities.
“I have expectations of him to develop as a quarterback on a daily basis,” Allen said. “I’m not setting anything as far as where I want to see him on the depth chart or how many passes or anything like that. I just want to see him get better every day. That’s what he’s come out here and tried to do, and if he continues to do that, at the end of the day he’s going to be all right.”

– Ford and Moore split time returning punts. It’s likely that other players will be tried in that role later in camp. However, Moore and Ford are getting the first crack.
“We’ll continue to evaluate guys as we go throughout training camp,” Allen said, “but right now those are kind of the top two guys that we’re looking at.”
Ford said he is excited about the prospect of adding punt returns to his long list of duties. He also plays receiver and return kicks.
“It’s definitely something that is going to help us out a lot, having either both of us back there or alternating it, in case he wants to go and then if I want to go,” Ford said. “It gives us two explosive options back there. We’re definitely both excited about it looking to whenever we have a chance to go out and prove ourselves.”

– Those concerned about running back Darren McFadden can rest easy. He looks every bit as sharp now as he did during the offseason workouts.
McFadden copped to being a little sore afterward. However, he said he is looking forward to the process.
“It does feel good out there, being back out there on the field, being out there with the guys running around,” McFadden said. “I feel like we did a lot of good things out there today. Some things we still got to improve on. It’s like, coming out there on the first day, it’s nothing you can do to prepare for it all summer. You get out there the first day, you get a little winded. Guys are going to come along it’s time to go.”
Allen liked what he saw from McFadden.
“Fast; he looked good,” Allen said. “We all understand that he’s an explosive playmaker for us and we need him to be healthy for the entire season.”

– Wisniewski spoke for the first time about the recent resignation of his uncle Steve as the Raiders assistant offensive line coach.
“Yeah, it’s weird,” Stefen Wisniewski said. “I definitely miss him. I definitely miss him a lot.”
Understandably, but there’s a strong likelihood that Steve Wisniewski will make his presence felt this season.
“He’s told me he’s going to be around game days and he’ll be around a little bit here at practice,” Stefen said. “So we’ll still see him.”
Stefen Wisniewski also weighed in on the scandal that rocked his alma mater, Penn State.
“It’s been really tough,” Wisniewski said. “It makes me really sad and a little bit angry, too, with some of the things. But like we said, Penn State sticks together. I’m really impressed with the way the players have been handling themselves. They look like they’re going to stick together and fight through that with most of the guys staying there. I’m really proud of that.
“The NCAA, they can’t kill Penn State. Penn State is going to be a great place. They might wound us for a little while, but Penn State is still going to be a great university and football program.”

• The Big Banana

Oakland Mayor Jean Quan was at the game last night…she wants retractable dome venue

————

Tell me more. Where did you hear this? Can’t get enough new stadium news. We need to make it happen.

• Thec

I need Shockey

++++++++

You think he is still viable? Injury issues?
    I am not sure about his locker room prescence.
    It does appear however, that we are looking for a TE.
    He could be a fit.
    Wish we would have gone after Vshaincoe.

• r8eray

GO RAIDERS!

GO DODGERS!

GO LAKERS!

GO USC FOOTBALL!

GO UNLV B-BALL!

;)

• Thec

gotta buzz the f out…1 NATION

• DennisAllensVisor

Im not ready to think about a Shockey type until I know the Oline can protect CP3.

• guest123

What does Oakland need a dome for? The sweltering hot 70 degree summer days? LMAO

That dome is going to cost waaaay toooo much money and is a PIPEDREAM. But I’m down for a new stadium at least.

Thec Says:
    July 31st, 2012 at 10:52 am
    A’s winning and being relevant helps with Raiders getting a football only stadium in Oakland….I’m sure you down with that

++++++

I am down with the A’s no doubt. 70’s as best ever IMO.

Quan is full of shat however, a dome would be cool.
    **********************

Quan is no more full of shat than any other politician lol but you are right….but I truly believer her on this though….Raiders are Oakland’s fav thing and they will kick down for a dope venue…i personally dont want a dome…i like inclement weather…it keeps bandwagon away

• RAIDERMAN99

Thec Says:
    July 31st, 2012 at 9:22 am
    JFORD

GOOD hands even at 5′8″ is a NATURAL WR

Good Swivel has good open field moves to make people miss

Is a ball HAWK, Fights for the ball and wins

Can be used as a runner in reverses

KOR duties

PR duties

Looks like he has a little more to offer than just speed.
    ================================================
    Spot on.

I’m with you and Guest123 on this one.

It’s repeatedly stated that Ford runs bad routes. Really ? Footwork looks good to me. Gets off the line well. Sharp cuts. Breaks at full speed effortlessly. I can only assume he gets to where he’s supposed to be. The posters who say he’s a poor route runner must know something I don’t. The slip against SD makes him a poor route runner ? Not in my book.

Been said he doesn’t have good hands. When’s he had a drop ? I remember one in the first SD game, right before he got hurt. Real nice toss by JC that clanked off his hands, huge gain if he catches it.

RR mentions the ‘drop’ against the Whiners.

Watch that again. JC throws a panic pass at 100 MPH to Ford who is 7 yards away from him and isn’t even expecting it. Not a very good indication of having bad hands in my opinion.

Ford can run routes.

Ford has good hands.

Ford will fight for the ball.

Ford is the Raids most dangerous deep threat.

Ford might be the best KR in the game.

Have to love the people that want to trade the ‘smurf’ and replace him with someone like T.O.

Yeah, that’ll improve the team.

Know what I mean, RR ?

• Dakota

GOOOOO CUBS!

Oh wait, you mean we are not in the playoff hunt? WTF?

• guest123

What inclement weather does Oakland have? Smog is about the only thing that sometimes ruins what is a perfect weather zone. East Bay has fantastic weather.

R8eray Says:
    July 31st, 2012 at 10:56 am
    GO RAIDERS!

GO DODGERS!

GO LAKERS!

GO USC FOOTBALL!

GO UNLV B-BALL!
    *****************************

All will be among the best in their sport this season no doubt…you gonna have a special sports season I think

I dont know how the NL will beat the dodgers
    lakers will still win 55 games or more
    raiders are god’s team
    USC may play in natl title game
    unlv will be ranked all year in hoop

The Big Banana Says:
    July 31st, 2012 at 10:55 am

————

****************

Well she said it some months back and Fred Blackwell confirmed that to me when I saw him the weekend before last…Raiders and city having great talks….they gonna get their stadium for sure

• TxRaider210

Anyone want to talk some Cricket?lmao

• Intrepid

Late to the party here,but… Look for my concession stand in parking lot ‘D’ selling Mark Davis wigs. Only $2.95. Also, I love Christopher Walken but he only plays Christopher Walken. I’m thinking James Woods playing Al Davis.

• hwnrdr

Still hoping to keep RAW in Oakland! Not a W’s fan, but they need to stay put!

• http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll180/floresrd508/mcfaddenball.jpg SouthTexasRaider

fahq baseball!!! the season has started ladies…..

RAIDER FAHQIN NATION BABY!

palmer will be a top 10 QB which will make DHB a top 10 WR this year cause RunDMC will be tearing up the trenches and the oppossing defenses wont know whats coming.
    TP will be better than yall think and the defense in its new form will be monsterous. i expect us to be 3-1 at the bye week and 5-3 hopefully 6-2 at mid-season mark.

RAIDER FAHQIN NATION BABY!
    R.I.P. Al Davis

I dont know how the NL will beat the dodgers
    lakers will still win 55 games or more
    raiders are god’s team
    USC may play in natl title game
    unlv will be ranked all year in hoop

=====

B, I forgot the L.A. Kings!!

;)

• DennisAllensVisor

Denarius Moore is the most dangerous WR in every category. Period.

None of our WRs are good route runners at this point.

Dead issue.

• hwnrdr

The one rumor that can be taken seriously at this point is the D-backs departing with shortstop Stephen Drew, according to Nightengale. The 29-year-old should be traded on Tuesday, most likely to the Oakland Athletics.

That would be good!

• TxRaider210

LOL@ Mayor of London for comparing women’s beach volleyball players to “wet otters”

Guest123 Says:
    July 31st, 2012 at 10:56 am

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I dont want a damn dome…but its for bigger purposes than sports

R8eray Says:

I dont know how the NL will beat the dodgers
    lakers will still win 55 games or more
    raiders are god’s team
    USC may play in natl title game
    unlv will be ranked all year in hoop

=====

B, I forgot the L.A. Kings!!
    *************************************

sighs….yeah you LA cats are feeling mighty high these days….schit i need a title in east bay pronto primo

SouthTexasRaider Says:
    July 31st, 2012 at 11:05 am
    fahq baseball!!! the season has started ladies…..

RAIDER FAHQIN NATION BABY!

RAIDER FAHQIN NATION BABY!
    R.I.P. Al Davis
    ************************

STR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn palmer and DHB doin that kinda work? Hard to argue against you my man…whats the new down in the Lone Star state? They talking a texas SB with houston vs dallas?

excited to see how these WRs we have an know about and especially the ones we dont know about!

• guest123

Denarius Moore is the most dangerous WR in every category. Period.

None of our WRs are good route runners at this point.

Dead issue.

*******

No, live issue. See..compare this WR crew to a few years ago with Murph, Shillens, Bey. This is actually a deadly group of receivers who can each of them score on any play. Even willing to throw some love on Bey and include him in this group. It’s exciting to have potential 4 WR formations and have Carson pick them apart as if he was Drew Brees. It’s gonna be fun having this kind of ammo all on the field at the same time.

• hwnrdr

3 more hours or so til day 2! Is the Hall of Fame game on this year? Should be this weekend, right?

Intrepid Says:
    July 31st, 2012 at 11:03 am
    *****************************
    4 years ago me and B@uce Sr were talking bout it….only James Woods can play Al Davis

• DennisAllensVisor

guest123 Says:
    July 31st, 2012 at 11:12 am
    Denarius Moore is the most dangerous WR in every category. Period.

None of our WRs are good route runners at this point.

Dead issue.

*******

—-

Pretty sure you didnt understand what issue I was proclaiming dead.

But ok! :)

• Intrepid

RaiderRockstar Says: King Darrius!

by the way, I think “the DHB fan club” consists of myself and maybe Jhill

haha.////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////DHB was my MUP pick last year.

Hwnrdr Says:
    July 31st, 2012 at 11:06 am

That would be good!
    **************************

I think that would put us in prime position…we only 3.5 back

i really do think so Method. Moore,Ford along with the unknown upcoming talent at WR will open up doors for DHB.
    possible but unlikely. i dont think the texans will be all that and the cowgirls secondary AND romo are still subject.

• Method To My Madness

ill be back….yall stay cool

• DennisAllensVisor

Stephen Drew’s ankle doesnt sit right with me.

• aig-raiders

B,

The thing I appreciate about the East Bay is that it is considered blue collar. I dont care much for that foo foo stuff in SF.

like three lil’fonzies….and what is fonzie like

LOL STR…just doesnt believe the hype on Texans and Cowboys….always classic

• DennisAllensVisor

Yankees jump in on Dempster talk.

Aig-Raiders Says:
    July 31st, 2012 at 11:17 am
    B,

****************8

Those people are transplants in SF and dont even know sports….they really only care bout Giants….Warriors need to stay in Oakland….we know A’s wont go to SJ

• guest123

Yesterday, the local radio afternoon crew took the day off and the ESPN blowhards were on air. I laughed at their super bowl picks of the Packers and Texans, with a strong hedge backup of the Bears. Those clowns are clueless.

• theghostronin79

==================

SHA-BAAAAAMMMM
    (Rubbing hands together furiously)

• TxRaider210

Dallas shouldn’t make the playoffs, Texans win maybe one playoff game imo.

• TxRaider210

guest123 Says:
    July 31st, 2012 at 11:19 am

———————
    Those dudes are clowns for sure, Bears gonna stink the joint up this year.lol

• TxRaider210

Gents, if I had a gun to my head and had to pick a Texas football team…..San Antonio Talons!!lmao

• fingers

Raiders Offense….. Loaded…….top 5… Book it ..

• guest123

I never really dedicated myself to a fanclub or said any kind of “King Darrius” or any other player.

But I’m all in on both Carson and Darren. Both of them are counted all dozen eggs in that basket. 100% support thru thick and thin. Their time to dominate is now.

• ottocrat

RoLoser McBust

• fingers

I can see Carson Palmer having an MVP type season with the weapons he has this year…

• guest123

If the offense is top 5 and the defense just manages to not screw up as much as last year, AFC West is in the bag fellas. It’s not much to ask for, but not anything to take for granted either.

• DKnight007

I wonder what trade was rumoured with the Redskins??

Anyone know?