Van Dyke, McClain, Mitchell spur defense

Quarterbacks and receivers had their way with defensive backs, for the most part, on the first day of training camp. Tuesday, it was time for the defense to show that they aren’t going to be pushed around all the time.
Middle linebacker Rolando McClain blanketed receivers on short passes over the middle, cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke shined for the second straight day and backup safety Mike Mitchell punctuated the spirited performance with an interception of Carson Palmer on what appeared to be a well-thrown pass for receiver Juron Criner.
“Yeah, we made a few plays,” coach Dennis Allen said. “Coaches are all perfectionists, so it’s never what you want. I’ve learned over the years that when you walk off the practice field, it’s never as good as you thought it was or never as bad as you thought it was.
“Kind of reserve judgment until we get to watch the tape. It was nice at least to see us make a few plays. Mike Mitchell made a nice play on the interception, so it was nice to see.”
The real proof that the defense is up to the challenge, of course, comes during games. For now, it’s a nice start.

– The Raiders placed punter Shane Lechler (knee) and cornerback Ron Bartell (hamstring) on the non-football-injury list, which means they aren’t able to practice as a result of injuries suffered in non-football-related activities.
The Raiders can activate Lechler and Bartell from the list once they pass a physical and are cleared to practice.

– Second-year player Joseph Barksdale worked at right offensive tackle today, with rookie Tony Bergstrom next to him at right guard. This is in contrast to Monday, when they worked on the left side.
We’re still waiting to see them get some meaningful reps with the first-team unit. Allen said that’s likely to occur at some point in camp.
Until then, the first-team line looks like this, from left to right: Jared Veldheer, Cooper Carlisle, Stefen Wisniewski, Mike Brisiel and Khalif Barnes.

– Mitchell has supplanted Rock Cartwright as the personal protector on punts. For now, at least. Mitchell is fast enough and versatile enough to execute a direct snap off a fake punt, if needed.

– Denarius Moore and Jacoby Ford were the lone two fielding punts Monday. Today, four others joined the fray — Criner, Rod Streater, DeAundre Muhammad and Derek Carrier.
Ford showed no lingering effects from the tweaked left knee he suffered in practice Monday.

– The NFL has implemented a mandatory use of metal detectors for all fans entering the stadium at games this season. As a result, the Raiders are encouraging fans to arrive at least two hours before kick-off to ensure that no one misses any of the game.
Chief executive Amy Trask is confident that the Raiders won’t have any difficulty adjusting to the new procedure aimed at ensuring fans’ safety. Part of that confidence stems from the Raiders being the first team to employ walk-through scanners, which are believed to be faster than hand wands.

– Bartell, Lechler, linebacker Aaron Curry and defensive tackle Travis Ivey were the only four players who missed all of practice.
Running back Mike Goodson (hamstring) and tight end Richard Gordon (hip flexor) suffered injuries in practice today. Their long-term status is unknown right now. They will be evaluated on a daily basis, Allen said.
As for Lechler’s status, Allen said: “I don’t expect it to be any big deal, so I’m not real concerned about it.”

– When asked to rate the performance of Palmer so far, on a scale of 1-10, Allen doled out high praise, as well as high marks.
“Eight, nine,” Allen said. “He’s doing exceptional. He’s got full command of the offense and he’s doing a nice job of running it.”
Seeing Palmer perform at such a high level and in a nice comfort level, in turn, gives Allen peace of mind that the offense is in good hands.
“Absolutely,” Allen said. “You can’t win in this league on a consistent basis (without an reliable quarterback), and we feel good about the one we got.”
Being able to work with his teammates and coaches all year has helped a great deal, Palmer said. Last season, he arrived midway through the season after asking out of the Cincinnati Bengals and not practicing or playing until mid-October.
“It’s (Bill) Parcells that always says, ‘There’s a difference between being in shape and being in football shape, and the only way to get into football shape is to play football,’ ” Palmer said. “When you don’t play football for seven months or whatever it was, it just takes awhile not only for your mind to adjust to the speed of the game but your body to adjust. That was one of the toughest things for me just trying to get caught up with game shape.”

– The Raiders are permitted to throw on pads at practice for the first time Wednesday. Guidelines set forth in the Collective Bargaining Agreement prohibit teams from using pads the first two days of camp.
Allen, for one, is fired up about the prospect of seeing how his players look in pads. All the offseason workouts were conducted without pads, as well, per league rules.
“We’re going to go play football, and that’s the way the game was meant to be played, in pads,” Allen said. “We’ll put ‘em on, we’ll mix it up a little bit, and we’ll find out who’s going to compete when we put the pads on.”

– Allen showed Tuesday that he won’t hesitate to get on his players if they aren’t performing at an acceptable level.
At one point, Allen stopped practice, assembled his players and reminded them about what he expects from them in practice.
“I felt it was necessary to bring them all in together, let ‘em know what I was observing, and give ‘em a chance to get it corrected,” Allen said. “They did a pretty nice job of responding.”
Palmer said it’s not uncommon for their to be a letdown this early in camp, especially with the hot weather.
“Today was not quite what we expected,” Palmer said. “Coach had to get on us a little bit. But yesterday was a good first practice. Today was kind of what you’d expect from a second day, a little bit sluggish.
“We had a couple of guys pull up with some cramping and minor things. Like coach says, there’s no light at the end of the tunnel right now. It’s a grind. We have a double day tomorrow and we just have to keep working.”

– Add Marcel Reece to the list of people impressed by running back Darren McFadden.
“I keep saying it and I’m going to keep saying it; Darren McFadden is the best running back in this league, and he’s going to be that,” Reece said. “I’m excited for him and just for him to show you guys everything he can do.”

– Plays of the day
1. Mitchell’s interception of Palmer.
2. Palmer delivered a perfect strike to Reece on the left sideline, with the ball placed just over the hands of rookie linebacker Miles Burris.
3. Criner turned around Shawntae Spencer, caught the crossing route and continued down the left sideline for a long gain.
4. Spencer and strong safety Tyvon Branch bracketed receiver Eddie McGee on a deep post route, giving McGee no room to make a play on a ball that sailed over his head.
5. Palmer eluded a strong rush, stepped up in the pocket and delivered a strike to receiver Jacoby Ford.

– Quote of the day: “I went home and my mama told me, ‘DeMarcus, I’m your No. 1 fan, but you dropped too many interceptions last year.’ So, this year, I’m trying to work on catching the ball and turning my head when the ball when the ball is in the air.” — Van Dyke on what he felt he needed to work on from his rookie season

Steve Corkran

• PurpleDrank81

Curry is injured cant be better than Burris if he’s not playing

• Thec

TxRaider210 Says:
    August 1st, 2012 at 11:54 am
    You guys think Curry would be doing better than Burris out there? For some reason I don’t..

+++++++++

Very questionable. MBURRIS is a rookie. I would imagine he is processing, rather than reacting.

• TxRaider210

PurpleDrank81 Says:
    August 1st, 2012 at 11:55 am
    Curry is injured cant be better than Burris if he’s not playing

———–
    Even if healthy, would he do better than Burris?

***

@Tx

against the run?? Yes
    against the pass?? No

[ I assume you mean if he was 100% healthy and not playing with a bum knee ]

• theghostronin79

DVD blanketing dat azz all day, AGAIN!

=========

Gotta say, I did NOT see that coming. I didn’t expect much out of him. Starting to make me feel like a shmuck, and yet, I’m HAPPY about it.

• realtruraider

realtruraider Says:
    August 1st, 2012 at 11:37 am
    Did DVD shutdown DHB? By the tweets it sounded like it, on the other hand it sounded like DHB burnt Spencer a few times.
    ——————————————————

BTW, Im a big DHB fan, picked him for mup last year. Im about ready to call DVD the truth, but will wait to see him in preseason. It will be interesting to see what happens when Bartell comes back, will DVD by pass Spencer? So far I would say yes

• TxRaider210

Thec
    Good point…and the D can’t take the ball carriers to the ground either.

• PurpleDrank81

Against the run Curry has an advantage…. Burris having trouble wrapping up…His biggest knock coming into the draft was Run Support but Allen will fix that. I still believe Curry will be the starter but I can see them switching on 3rd downs for sure

• Thec

Raider Riff Says:
    August 1st, 2012 at 11:55 am
    619. Thec

Yep. I think anyone that questioned Al’s eye for talent was a fool.

It was the way he ran the org and his meddling that bought down his empire

++++++++++

Ya know whats funny is teams passed on JCRINER supposedly becuase of his 40 time.

• theghostronin79

weet, thanks man. Burris fighting for that job bro!

==================

I’m pulling for him BIG TIME…..But like Thec said

MBURRIS is a rookie. I would imagine he is processing, rather than reacting.

============

Little more time

• TxRaider210

RR

Maybe Burris will react on the run better with time.

• eastoaklandraider

what we are going to find out is, what would happen if you couple Mr. Davis talent, with a diffrent schematic???
    ____________

Post of the day. Its gonna be a beautiful thing Mr Thec

• PurpleDrank81

Calling it now…DVD will be the Starter against San Diego

D can’t take the ball carriers to the ground

***

that explains Burris being “tentative”

• Thec

PurpleDrank81 Says:
    August 1st, 2012 at 11:57 am

++++++++

MBURRIS is a REAL LB no doubt about it.

• Raider Riff

619.

Our team is loaded with talent right now.

Combine that with proper coaching/scheme and we are built for a prosperous decade.

We will be very fortunate once this crop of players is done, if Reggie can continue the success in the draft. He appears qualified for the job so heres to bringing back the 70s and 80s!

• ottocrat

DVD had his moments last year. Plenty of rookie mistakes, in a lame defense to begin with, but he was usually always stride-for-stride with whoever he was covering.

• TxRaider210

RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 1st, 2012 at 11:58 am
    D can’t take the ball carriers to the ground

***

that explains Burris being “tentative”

————
    Yeah it’s hard to “wrap up” when you’re only allowed to pop the runner…

• The Beeech Dawg

YO YO YO THE BEEEECH DIGGITY IN THE HIZZY

My homey Snoop Lion following Rasta Ganja’s footsteps into Kingston, Jamaica, MON

Gettin’ hella IRIE, blazing a trail for my other fellow hip hop legends to follow.

Great to know it all started with Rasta Ganja, shout out to my stoney bratha in reggae, Roberto Nesta Marley

Keeping it fresh with a garden salad from Whole Foods. SHould be able to drop a screaming duece-dawg any second, holla

SNOOP LION + RASTA GANJA = 1 LOVE, FIZZLE

• theghostronin79

Calling it now…DVD will be the Starter against San Diego

===========

If he’s BALLIN’, So be it. Lock em down

• PurpleDrank81

Burris was my sleeper pick in my mock draft… I had in going to the Riaders in the 5th around March or so and Reggie decided to take him the 4th.

I’m pretty sure Reggie should hire me as a talent evaluator for the draft

Maybe Burris will react on the run better with time

***

for sure, Tx!

this time next year Burris will be an unquestioned starter, either at WLB or SLB

• Raider Riff

662.

I nominate Thec for post of the offseason.

• PurpleDrank81

Wow typos

• DutchRaider77

RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 1st, 2012 at 11:58 am
    D can’t take the ball carriers to the ground

***

that explains Burris being “tentative”

————
    Yeah it’s hard to “wrap up” when you’re only allowed to pop the runner…
    _______________________________________________

Also, cannot imagine Burris wanting to light up McFadden and hurt him.

• TxRaider210

Send Reg the resume bro, the Nation will vouch for you!lol

• Thec

Raider Riff Says:
    August 1st, 2012 at 12:00 pm
    662.

I nominate Thec for post of the offseason.

++++++++++

I nominate him for blog jester….lol

• theghostronin79

Taiwan just needs a little crease and he’s as good as GONE….

• TxRaider210

Dutch
    Very true..and he surely wouldn’t go after DMAC’s lower body.

• Thec

MBURRIS is a talented LB no questions asked.

last year Rod Woodson compared DVD to Duane Starks, who was a solid starting CB his first 6 or 7 years in the league (Ravens & Cardinals) …

• PurpleDrank81

Post 676 Yea Rick Tittle will too…Haha he asked me the other day why I havent applied to be a draft insider for 95.7 The Game. I put in close to 300 hours a year evaluating college players fopr the draft.

• RAIDERMAN99

I try not to get too excited about these tweets or read too much into them.

Frankly, I don’t put much stock in many of the tweeter’s observations.

Thought I saw a tweet today about DVD ‘laying out’ somebody (Goodson?).

I’ll believe that DVD is laying out someone,
    only when I see that with my own eyes.

Have to take these tweets with a grain of salt.

That said, I’m glad to hear that certain players appear to be playing well and get stoked about the young pups that might help the Raids.

When I hear that Crawford was eating a Matt Lice sandwich all day, I start wondering about things that a tweet can’t resolve.

I start wondering if Crawford might actually be able to rush the QB, when I thought he was drafted primarily as a DE that was stout against the run.

I start wondering who he was abusing.

So, while I’m happy to hear it, I take it with a grain of salt.

Thus far, what pleases me most are the unanimous reports that DVD is looking very good.

I’m not excited about Spencer and hope he isn’t the opening day starter.

• TxRaider210

A Texans fan at work was telling me Cushing handled DMAC…I told him “before getting busted for juice or after”lol

• theghostronin79

Very happy with the showing of the “D” thus far.

• RAIDERNATIONSTATION http://www.raidernationstation.com/

NOW!~ 08-01-12: PRACTICE OVER, STORY IN 3…2…1
    Camp Day Three: Let the hitting begin and we do mean hitting. Tyvon Branch gets into a dust up, Kelly and Wizzer have words plus, Palmer coaches Pryor much more…

——-

Hitting!!! Enjoy the day Nation!~

• TxRaider210

theghostronin79 Says:
    August 1st, 2012 at 12:04 pm
    Very happy with the showing of the “D” thus far.

—————–
    Yep me too man, now DA needs to zero in on penalty issues.

• DennisAllensVisor

See you guys in the morning!

God Bless!

• TxRaider210

Later DAV be safe

• theghostronin79

Yep me too man, now DA needs to zero in on penalty issues.

==========

Got his work cut out for him there.

• Thec

++++++++++

I wonder about this also. Could it be on Lionert???

• PurpleDrank81

Trip out to Napa to meet the players today mite be in order when I get off

DA needs to zero in on penalty issues.

Got his work cut out for him there

***

in the words in Bcz, referring to Hue Jackson’s way of dealing with the issue “what do you want him to do, yell louder ???”

• TxRaider210

theghostronin79 Says:
    August 1st, 2012 at 12:07 pm
    Yep me too man, now DA needs to zero in on penalty issues.

==========

Got his work cut out for him there.

—————–
    Yep he sure does…gotta run man I shall return later!

• Thec

LTR DAV, be safe Bruh

• PurpleDrank81

All the people I’ve talked too and have tweeted says that Crawford tearing it up against any1 he was against mainly 2nd team

• Thec

Thought I saw a tweet today about DVD ‘laying out’ somebody (Goodson?).

++++++++

Yeah, he took a lot of heat last year, this is crucial to his development being able to hit, and wrap.

I start wondering who he was abusing.

***

@RM99

mostly likely guys like Barks, Bergs, Hurd, Parsons & Wang

• Thec

Levi Damien‏@LeviDamien

RT @Slampage1212: @LeviDamien Is it the defense playing well or the offense struggling? — bit of both

• eastoaklandraider

PurpleDrank81 Says:
    August 1st, 2012 at 12:04 pm

_____________

Wow this guy is dedicated. And I thought I was a sports fanatic.