Huff eyes All-Pro/Pro Bowl, says McClain on verge of huge season

Periodically, I will track down an outspoken player, give him the microphone and fire off a handful of questions in an attempt to get some stream of consciousness responses.
What better way to begin than with free safety Michael Huff, who is engaging, witty, quick and insightful. So, here’s my five good minutes with Huff:

Q: Why do defenders hate going against the zone-blocking scheme?
A: “As far as for me, as a free safety, you’re coming downhill, you’re trying to read the same cut the back’s going to cut, but you don’t know where he’s going to cut. In your normal running schemes, he’s going to run into the A gap or run to the B gap. In the zone-blocking scheme, he’s cutting off the linemen. So, if you’re coming downhill, you have no idea where he’s going to cut until he cuts.”

Q: How has Mike Mitchell done so far?
A: “He is getting consistent. Before, he’s always had his spurts in camps before. This one, he’s finally staying healthy and he’s out there making plays now.”

Q: What is camp like without Al Davis around?
A: “Different, especially with him not being at practice, not watching film, not critiquing every defensive film. It’s been a little different, so we’re just getting used to it.”

Q: Your thoughts on coach Dennis Allen?
A: “Love him. Glad to play for a defensive head coach finally.”

Q: Can this defense be a top-five unit this season?
A: “Oh, yeah. As long as we stay healthy, stay disciplined, then, yeah, we have all the makings, we have the scheme, we have the personnel. So, it comes down to the players on the field.”

Q: Is this going to be your best NFL season?
A: “What’s the question? Is that a question? Oh, it’s going to happen and if it doesn’t happen, I’ll be disappointed in myself. Everything is lined up for me to be the All-Pro, Pro Bowl player that I was drafted to be. So, this should be the year.”

Q: Offensive and defensive player to look for?
A: “Offense would be a healthy Darren McFadden. When he’s healthy, he’s the best back in the NFL, hands down. I’m not biased. I’ve played against other running backs, played against the top ones, but when he’s healthy, he’s the best in the league. He just does so much. Defense will be Ro(lando McClain, linebacker). In this defense, he can have a Patrick Willis, Ray Lewis-type year. He’ll be straight to the ball, make tackles, get picks, have a great year.”

Q: What’s it like having your camp in Napa?
A: “Oh, I love it. I’ve talked to all the old guys. I talked to ‘Nnam the other week, and he told me how great I have it here compared to what they have out there in Philadelphia. So, everybody on the outside tells me how good we have it, so I don’t want to take it for granted while I’m here.”

Q: Why are Crocs your shoe of choice? Wear anything else?
A: “Um, not really. I wear Crocs on an every-day basis.”

Q: What could get you out of crocs besides football? A wedding?
A: “I don’t go to weddings. Football game I wear my cleats. But, other than that, what do I have? Church. I wear church shoes. I wear Stacy Adams. I should have some church shoes Crocs.”

Q: Ever worn Crocs to church? Been tempted?
A: “No. Mom wouldn’t let me. She wouldn’t let me. I would if I could, but she wouldn’t let me.”

Q: Comfort level at this stage of your NFL career?
A: “I would say about a 5. I’m always still trying to get better. I’m still trying to learn every day, day in and day out. There’s always something to learn. When you get comfortable in this sport, that’s when you start to go downhill. So, I never want to be comfortable.”

Q: What’s with the Olympics shirt?
A: “Oh, yeah, my little brother sent it to me. He won the Olympic Trials in the long jump, but he got 10th at London, though. He sent it to me.”

Q: Your little brother was in the Olympics?
A: “Not my real brother. Like my godbrother, Marquise Goodwin. He’s at Texas right now. He’ll be a senior at Texas playing receiver.”

Steve Corkran

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

Yeah, get off your horse cock, Steve!

• eastoaklandraider

this is my last comment on this injury thing. i feel sorry for no millionaire even one with broke neck i know it sounds kinda harsh but thats how i feel. especially in a recession were most folks are going thru hard times just to find work

• TxRaider210

Maybe it’s just a stinger…too soon to tell. Prayers go out to the guy though.

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

I like Cedric Benson. He runs like a Swedish transit bus.

• Raiders for life

Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL
    Coach Dennis Allen said RB Mike Goodson suffered a neck injury. Doesn’t know severity of injury yet

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Marks Hair Says:
    August 7th, 2012 at 5:34 pm
    I have a neck injury.. If you dont care enough to help me out dont bltch when other ppl dont seem to care when a paid gladiator gets hurt.. Get off your horse cork.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

How did you get injured?
    I had a neck injury when I was younger, but it was drug related. lol

• DJ Johnny

This sucks. On so many levels.

Get better Goodson.

• mcskinnnylegs

LETS GO BENSON!COULD BE A BLESSING IN DISGUISE NO DISRESPECT TO THE INJURED MAN BUT I BELIEVE BENSON WOULD BE A BETTER FIT FOR US

• TxRaider210

Goodson’s family has been informed.

• Marks hair

I care that he’s hurt.. But corks a dlck for talking smack about fans that wanted to call benson.. B.s… Did he bash DA when he said miller get in there your next?… Nooooo

• eastoaklandraider

what is it with this guy and sweeden…how you guys looking in the olympics medal wise… oh ok

• TxRaider210

Corks whole point was not to speculate on the extent of the injury, we just don’t know.

• Raiders for life

Eric ‏@oakland627
    @CorkOnTheNFL His sister just tweeted. Said he is doing good as of now. Amber goodson

• Marks hair

406. Some dumb bltch ran her car into me while she was yelling at her brats in the back seat.. Ruined my life, but I dont blame the cops for asking me to see if my car would start so I could move it out of the street..

• TxRaider210

Good news !

• Raiders for life

Amber Goodson ‏@ihurdle19
    Continue to pray for my brother @GoodNplenty33 .. He is doing fine as of now! #RAIDERNATION

• realtruraider

BENSON SUCKS AND IS FRUITY, I VOTE NO

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Marks Hair Says:
    August 7th, 2012 at 5:52 pm
    $$$$$$$$

Pls tell me you got paid! Insurance?

• eastoaklandraider

Marks Hair Says:
    August 7th, 2012 at 5:52 pm
    ———————

TOLD YA… NOBODY CARES

• realtruraider

Goody > Benson

Jones > Benson

Miller > Benson

Anybody > Benson

• Just Fire Baby

Didn’t DHB have a nasty looking neck thing, got carried off on a stretcher, and then played the next week?

Goodson will be fine.

• eastoaklandraider

but as i sit here and think about benson cant help but think why hasn’t anyone picked this guy up yet? sumthn is up with that

• Marks hair

412. No cork said show some class.. He was in holier than thou mode.. While most of us are in gm mode..

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I love Swedish girls.

• Raiders for life

Goodson will be fine.

######################

JFB…I’m hoping the same thing. I was starting to like the dude.

• mcskinnnylegs

TEAMS STAY AWAY FROM BACKS WITH RBS WITH HIGH MILES DOESNT MEAN THEY CANT BE SUCCESSFUL

• Marks hair

419. Told me!?lol I told you..

• Raiders for life

Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL
    “@Stronzo87: @CorkOnTheNFL has wheeler commented on the hit yet??” — Waiting for Wheeler to come out

• TxRaider210

O

Take your Swedish “lady of the evening” to a Hasselhoff concert.lol

• Marks hair

Is benson over 30?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Tx,

LOL I don’t understand why he is famous in Europe?
    Those days are gone bro. I’m married and I have a kid.

• TxRaider210

Crawford foot injury, hope it’s minor.geez

• Just Fire Baby

Finance monkey,

Curious to what you think about the Poway School District bonds that were issued that are all the talk right now.

• Raiders for life

430.Marks hair Says:
    August 7th, 2012 at 6:02 pm
    Is benson over 30?

Google?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I like to hear what Wheeler has to say.
    Dumba$$

• eastoaklandraider

Marks Hair Says:
    August 7th, 2012 at 6:01 pm
    419. Told me!?lol I told you..
    ————-

No Mark you just echoed what i had sais earlier and i was saying told ya to the other guys

• TxRaider210

O

I never got it either, I only kiddin’ with you man, those days are past me too.lol

• eastoaklandraider

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 7th, 2012 at 6:04 pm
    Finance monkey,

———————
    oh schit here we go i’m out nation

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Finance Monkey? LOL
    I don’t know much about it other than they have 20 years before they start making payment, but the rate is ridiculous. They have to pay $950+ million for their $100 million loan.
    I don’t trust any bonds from the state of CA.

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 7th, 2012 at 6:04 pm
    Finance monkey,

=====================================

Poway? As in the Poway-Bernardo Funeral Home that was featured on that A&E series a few years back?

• Marks hair

My personal life was an echo?

• Just Fire Baby

Well when you factor in time value of money, the YTM is only around 7.5% I believe.

Throw in the chance of hyper-inflation, and it may come out in spades for them. Very creative.

• Marks hair

All right I gotta go b4 I hurt a foot or pull a hammy too..

• Marks hair

maybe we should practice in those inflatable sumo costumes..

• Raiders for life

maybe we should practice in those inflatable sumo costumes

#############################

Sounds like you need to drive in one.

lol, I couldn’t help it

• TxRaider210

Peace out gents, 1 Nation!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

What’s the coupon rate on those bonds?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Raiders For Life Says:
    August 7th, 2012 at 6:19 pm
    maybe we should practice in those inflatable sumo costumes

#############################

Sounds like you need to drive in one.

lol, I couldn’t help it
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

LOL
    D
    Sorry, but that is funny.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Later Tx.

• Just Fire Baby

They are zero coupon bond for the first 20 years.

It is a bet, not sure who would buy those with the hope of CA paying off 20 years from now, lol.