Curry heads to L.A. for second opinion

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Friday, August 10th, 2012 at 8:09 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Chipping in with some news and notes while subbing for Steve Corkran tonight . . .

– It’s looking as if rookie linebacker Miles Burris could find himself the Week 1 starter based on the lack of progress linebacker Aaron Curry is making with his sore knees.

Curry wasn’t at practice Friday, heading to Los Angeles for a second opinion, according to coach Dennis Allen. Curry sent out a cryptic tweet Thursday thanking Allen and general manager Reggie McKenzie, causing the cyberspace rumor mill to speculate that perhaps he had retired or been cut.

Not yet.

“He’ll go down and we’ll let him get basically a second opinion and see if we can’t do something to get him better,’’ Allen said.

Burris intercepted a Matt Leinart pass Friday.

Given that Curry already underwent stem-cell therapy on his knees, as told to CSN-Bay Area, things aren’t headed in the right direction as he remains on the Physically Unable to Perform list.

– Running back Mike Goodson was a practice spectator as he recovers from a neck injury sustained Sunday.

“Right now it’s just a little soreness left in my neck, kind of like having a crick in your neck when you wake up in the morning,’’ Goodson said. “A little more intense than that, but that’s pretty much it.’’

– There are no plans to tell the media or even players about how playing time will be parceled out Monday night.

“I think a lot of times when you tell ‘em, `Hey you’re going to play one quarter, you’re going to play 10 snaps, whatever the case may be, there’s a little bit of a mental letdown and I don’t want that,’’ Allen said.

– Backup place kicker Eddy Carmona struck the left upright three times and the right upright once in a span of five kicks, drawing howls from the players on the sideline on the last one.

– Defensive tackle Richard Seymour missed his fourth straight practice, although Allen said he isn’t overly concerned because of Seymour’s stature and knowledge of his own body. Also out was safety Tyvon Branch with back spasms. He was replaced by Mike Mitchell, who had an interception of a deflected Carson Palmer pass.

Mitchell also got tangled up with tight end Brandon Myers, who left the field with a shoulder injury, then departed with a member of the medical staff for further evavluation. The hamstring triplets (Denarius Moore, Eddie McGee, Taiwan Jones) remained out, as did Jack Crawford (foot). Tackle Zach Hurd left with a blow to the head, and Darrius Heyward-Bey with a sore knee.

Allen seemed most concerned about the Myers situation.

– Mitchell remains pain free and outwardly confident in his own ability, while at the same time believing he has to prove himself to make the team. His reputation for being a little over-enthusiastic has been duly noted by offensive assistants, coordinator Greg Knapp in particular.

Mitchell said Knapp is on him when he gets anywhere near the quarterback, reminding him it’s hands off.

Such will not be the case against Dallas Monday night.

“They’re going to let the chains off Monday night,’’ Mitchell said. “I can’t wait because no one is going to be telling me to do this, that and the other. The chains are off and I can just get to go play ball.’’

– With Goodson and Jones out, Darren McFadden probably took more snaps than the Raiders would like and as is usually the case in training camp, looked spectacular.

Training camp is made for McFadden. He can’t be tackled low because he’s the Raiders’ meal ticket, and there is no tackling to the ground or drive-through tackles, so basically he can just run everyone over.

Marcel Reece took got some work as running back out of a single back set and so did fullback Rashawn Jackson. The guy who will probably get the bulk of the work is Lonyae Miller, who played four games for the Cowboys in 2010 and spent last year on the Dallas practice squad before being cut and signed to the Raiders’ practice squad Dec. 7.

Cornerback Shawntae Spencer continues to really after a difficult start to camp, breaking up a long Palmer pass intended for Jacoby Ford and staying with him stride for stride.

– Philip Wheeler continues to be the most explosive player among the linebackers, knifing into the backfield to stop Miller for a loss.

– Personnel guru Gil Brandt was at the facility taping some interviews for Sirius NFL radio and couldn’t help but think about how different the atmosphere was without Al Davis.

“Al was an amazing person. He understood everything and he saw everything. You’’d come out here and he’d be out there in his cart, calling a player over give them pointers,” Brandt said. `It’s strange without him, but time moves on.

Brandt said Allen has an excellent reptuation throughout the league and said “the Saints were sick about it when they lost him to Denver as defensive coordinator. He looks like he’s got this team very well organized.”

– The Raiders said they would have word Saturday on whether the Monday night game agiansat Dallas would be televised live in the Bay Area or on tape delay. In past years, preseason games have typically been delayed.

The Raiders are back at it Saturday morning at 8:50 a.m.

• J-Raider

Burris I see as an effective blitzer who will be tancious
    —————————————
    are you saying we will have a “tenacious d”?? hahahahaha i love me some jack black..

• Raiders for life

Levi Damien ‏@LeviDamien
    Streater with two straight drops

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

Raider D Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:09 am
    Duck, When does the waiver wire open?

========================================

August 28 is when the rosters get cut down from 90 to 80. Might be a few guys available then.

September 2 is when the rosters go from 80 to 53. LOTS of decent players will be ripe for the picking up.

TxRaider210 Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:12 am
    Streater two drops in a row.
    **************

Oh well out of the 100s he has caught the last two weeks lol…Streater gonna make this squad

I’m thinking we keep 5 WRs 5 RBS and 3 TEs

• Raiders for life

Levi Damien ‏@LeviDamien
    Streater atones for drops with catch of the day on diving, sliding grab over the middle

• J-Raider

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:12 am
    J,

A starter is going to get hurt for us and miss time, probably a couple.

Life in the NFL. Just have to hope it is at a position we have some depth at.
    —————————————–
    thats the problem man, where do we have any depth other than d-line??? ill wait for an answer.

• Raiders for life

lol Tex, you beat me to it. I’m lagging!!!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Vegas,

You are right, most coaches don’t have 3-4 years to try to develop a QB, but this situation is different. It’s a new HC and a new GM, so they need time (more than 2 years).
    Facts:
    1- TP is a 3rd round pick, and he doesn’t cost much and expectations are not that high compared to other young QBs drafted in the 1st round.
    2- CP is the starter, and should be the starter for the next few years.
    3- look at teams like the Pats and 49ers, they drafted young QBs to develop in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, and they have vets that will start for the next few years.

J-Raider Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:13 am
    Burris I see as an effective blitzer who will be tancious
    —————————————
    *********************

Tenacious D is hilarious…especially when Dio sings

Mad Miles Burris? or Tenacious B?

• Raider Dell

Method To My Madness Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 10:54 am
    I wonder how bad Myers injury is….me thinks its a separated shoulder which means he is out for at least 2 months….Reggie….do the right thing….get Jeremy Shockey now….defenses still will respect him especially with out speed at WR and RB
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

B,

Shockey is done, let it go. We don’t need a major head case on this team.

• Deja vu

I remember watching in horror and disbelief the Buffalo, Detroit and SD games and syaing out loud “This can’t be happening.” “This isn’t really happening is it?’

———————————————

The Buffalo game i couldn’t believe, but after that game i had no hope if they were forced to defend a last minute drive.

Detroit game deep down i knew they would score with Megatron on the field. Sadly they couldn’t shut him down.

On the bright side of things. The past few days, most tweets have been praising the D. Seems as if they’re in seek and destroy mode, going all out.

Looking forward to Monday night to see for myself.

• J-Raider

Method To My Madness Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:14 am
    TxRaider210 Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:12 am
    Streater two drops in a row.
    **************

I’m thinking we keep 5 WRs 5 RBS and 3 TEs
    ——————————————
    you honestly think we keep 5 rb’s?? thats alot…

• Just Fire Baby

*************************

WR, OG, S would probably be the best bets.

• Just Fire Baby

Facts:

***************************

Pryor might be the highest paid 3rd string QB in the league.

• Raider Dell

The number 5 WR is on the 53 man roster and does not suit up game day, as teams only have active 46 players. The WR is a luxury and may not play until a injury.

• J-Raider

Method To My Madness Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:16 am
    J-Raider Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:13 am
    Burris I see as an effective blitzer who will be tancious
    —————————————
    *********************

Tenacious D is hilarious…especially when Dio sings

Mad Miles Burris? or Tenacious B?
    ——————————————
    deffinetly Tenacious B!!! yeah, i like the way you think bro hahaha

5 RBs= dmac mgoods tjones reece schmitt

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:18 am
    Facts:

***************************

Pryor might be the highest paid 3rd string QB in the league.

================================================

Nope. Jimmy Clausen (2nd-round pick) should have him beat.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Vegas,

Why do you think TP’s situation is different from C Karpernick?
    Harbaugh was a rookie HC last year, Smith is not better than CP, so why can harbaugh afford such a move but not DA?

J-Raider Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:19 am
    Method To My Madness Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:16 am
    J-Raider Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:13 am
    Burris I see as an effective blitzer who will be tancious
    —————————————
    *********************

Tenacious D is hilarious…especially when Dio sings

Mad Miles Burris? or Tenacious B?
    ——————————————
    deffinetly Tenacious B!!! yeah, i like the way you think bro hahaha
    ********************

You know I’m rather fond of the way I think as well lmao

• Raider D

Thaanks Duck! I agree O it would be foolish to cut TP, I say they develop TP for another 2 to 3 Years no rush he’s just the back up i.e. Steve Young

Raider Dell Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:18 am
    *******************

I agree…but with our hammy squad always pulling up lame we gonn need 5 guys lol

• Raider Dell

Raider Dell Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:18 am
    *******************

I agree…but with our hammy squad always pulling up lame we gonn need 5 guys lol
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

We need a DR. Specialist in hammys, LOL

• Method To My Madness

Pryor staying…I bet he makes a few wow plays monday…he will get extended time…last preseason we really didnt get to see him….talkin bout practice…not the actual game but practice

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Pryor might be the highest paid 3rd string QB in the league.
    $$$$$$

LOL
    So he is making 600K instead of 500K?

• Just Fire Baby

Not to beat a dead horse here, but the reaction my Aaron Curry commments got are exactly why I put him in the Colt Brennan Do-Nothing blog All-star team (patent pending).

The last drive against San Diego, everyone has heaped tons of blame and finger-pointing at Rolando for not making a play, Chuck B for sucking, TK and Seymour for not getting a pass rush, and the DB’s for sucking. And rightfully so.

But Curry, made two HORRENDOUS mental mistakes in that 4th quarter, failing to seal the edge on runs that ultimately cost us the game.

But yet, when you bring it up like I did, everyone is like “oh come on, your being harsh” “I love his intensity” “he’s a Raider, don’t be so negative”.

Just flipping weird to me, that’s all.

Raider Dell Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:22 am
    Raider Dell Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:18 am
    *******************

I agree…but with our hammy squad always pulling up lame we gonn need 5 guys lol
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

We need a DR. Specialist in hammys, LOL
    *****************

Yeah dont get it Dell….every damn TC its a hammy here and a hammy there

• Method To My Madness

Vegas….well we shall see…Curry wasnt that bad for us….just needed more in coverage since they had him at WLB…I always maintained at his big size he needs to be SLB….but I think he is done in Oakland….on to Tenacious B at WLB

• Raider Dell

MY gawd some of you guys have jumped real hard and fast onto Streater’s bandwagon. Let’s see how he performs in a game. i remember a sports media guru purporting that Chaz Schillens was a great WR in camp also, look what happens after a few seasons.

• Just Fire Baby

Why do you think TP’s situation is different from C Karpernick?

*************************

Pryor is much more of an athlete than Kapy, AND ACTUALLY PLAYED some WR in college.

That’s my point, Pryor is too freak of an athlete to sit around for a few years.

Shake it if you got it, right?

• J-Raider

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:18 am

*************************

WR, OG, S would probably be the best bets.
    ————————————–
    i can agree with OG, but thats it.. at safety we cant count on gio and mm34, no way at least not for any extended period of time.. and for WR we have only 3 that have shown they can stay healthy and two of those are rookies so we really dont know about them, you got king darius the hamstrung deepthreat to go along with jacoby ford’s knees and ankles.. so yeah you might be right about our guard position.

• J-Raider

Method To My Madness Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:19 am
    5 RBs= dmac mgoods tjones reece schmitt
    —————–
    oooohh, ok gottcha.. didnt know you included fullbacks in there..

• Method To My Madness

Bob Melvin= idiot manager….of our 9 losses since the all start break about 5-6 of them occured when Melvin leaves a starter out too long…last night was pure evidence of this…Brandon McCarthy pitches 6 innings after a 2 month layoff cuz of injury…you have a nice bullpen with a 3-2 lead…..why trot him out for 7th? Chicago is a good team and those batter had seen him 3 times by that moment…well tied game immediately….Melvin pisses me off…I was yelling at TV DONT BRING MCCARTHY BACK….but do I get listened to? Nope

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Btw,Miami has Moire, Gerard, and their 1st round QB.
    No way TP is the highest paid 3rd string QB.

• Raider Dell

Method To My Madness Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:26 am
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Until Cook is in the game!!!!

Raider Dell Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:24 am
    **********************

As a backup and a guy to have in case the guys ahead of him get injured…i’ll take him…i dont think he is Calvin jonhson but for a 5th wr i wont mind….mcgee calhoun or muhammad not having better camps and arent as good

I still think DHB,Moore,Ford and Criner are ahead of him

• Just Fire Baby

I didn’t say THE highest paid, said one of the highest paid.

Most 3rd stringers are UDFA, late round picks, not 3rd rounders.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:24 am
    Why do you think TP’s situation is different from C Karpernick?

*************************

Shake it if you got it, right?
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

You are assuming the HC abd OC are not going to use him, which will be a huge mistake.
    The Jets traded for Tebow for a reason. Guys like him and TP can help your team. Use them is STs, Wildcat, and GL situations.

Raider Dell Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:28 am
    Method To My Madness Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:26 am
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Until Cook is in the game!!!!
    *****************

Need to demote him….I Do Little or Ball Four would be better relievers

All I know is I need a strong outing from Blackley today along with some run support

• J-Raider

Method To My Madness Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:24 am
    ——————————–
    TENACIOUS B!!!!!! he will set that edge for many years to come!!!!!!!!

• Raider Dell

JFB,

What have the oddsmakers say regarding the raiders chances of winning the Bowl. I’m visiting Vegas in Sept, just wondering if I should place a bet.

• Just Fire Baby

SF Giants:

-Dead last in runs scored at home
    -2nd highest in all of baseball in runs scored on the road.

We just knocked that same Rockies pitcher around for 11 runs last week, and get 2 singles against him last night from our 8th hitter, lol.

• Method To My Madness

Well I’ll be back…need to check on box score from Mizzou’s game overseas…yep lil cousin crossed over the pond to get his Euro experience on!

• Just Fire Baby

*************************

This is what I have been saying!!!

TP might be our 2nd best red-zone ball-carrier; we need to take advantage of that.

If it slightly stunts his growth at QB, so be it, IMO.

J-Raider Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:30 am
    Method To My Madness Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:24 am
    ——————————–
    TENACIOUS B!!!!!! he will set that edge for many years to come!!!!!!!!
    ****************

Somehow that needs to be coined and promoted….i think the Raider support base would get behind that

Raiders I bet are between 50-1 or 80-1

• Just Fire Baby

Dell,

No idea, but I would guess the Raiders Super Bowl odds would be in the 30-1 range or so.

Never any value on future’s bets. Total tourist, sucker bet.

• Just Fire Baby

If someone could switch Balfour to decaf pre-game, he probably could close.

But one walk, and he starts screaming at himself on the mound, and looking like he is about to have a panic attack.

It is kind of uncomfortable to watch it.

• Raider Dell

Dell,

Never any value on future’s bets. Total tourist, sucker bet.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yep that’s me, I’m a sucker for a bet.