Curry heads to L.A. for second opinion

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Friday, August 10th, 2012 at 8:09 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Chipping in with some news and notes while subbing for Steve Corkran tonight . . .

– It’s looking as if rookie linebacker Miles Burris could find himself the Week 1 starter based on the lack of progress linebacker Aaron Curry is making with his sore knees.

Curry wasn’t at practice Friday, heading to Los Angeles for a second opinion, according to coach Dennis Allen. Curry sent out a cryptic tweet Thursday thanking Allen and general manager Reggie McKenzie, causing the cyberspace rumor mill to speculate that perhaps he had retired or been cut.

Not yet.

“He’ll go down and we’ll let him get basically a second opinion and see if we can’t do something to get him better,’’ Allen said.

Burris intercepted a Matt Leinart pass Friday.

Given that Curry already underwent stem-cell therapy on his knees, as told to CSN-Bay Area, things aren’t headed in the right direction as he remains on the Physically Unable to Perform list.

– Running back Mike Goodson was a practice spectator as he recovers from a neck injury sustained Sunday.

“Right now it’s just a little soreness left in my neck, kind of like having a crick in your neck when you wake up in the morning,’’ Goodson said. “A little more intense than that, but that’s pretty much it.’’

– There are no plans to tell the media or even players about how playing time will be parceled out Monday night.

“I think a lot of times when you tell ‘em, `Hey you’re going to play one quarter, you’re going to play 10 snaps, whatever the case may be, there’s a little bit of a mental letdown and I don’t want that,’’ Allen said.

– Backup place kicker Eddy Carmona struck the left upright three times and the right upright once in a span of five kicks, drawing howls from the players on the sideline on the last one.

– Defensive tackle Richard Seymour missed his fourth straight practice, although Allen said he isn’t overly concerned because of Seymour’s stature and knowledge of his own body. Also out was safety Tyvon Branch with back spasms. He was replaced by Mike Mitchell, who had an interception of a deflected Carson Palmer pass.

Mitchell also got tangled up with tight end Brandon Myers, who left the field with a shoulder injury, then departed with a member of the medical staff for further evavluation. The hamstring triplets (Denarius Moore, Eddie McGee, Taiwan Jones) remained out, as did Jack Crawford (foot). Tackle Zach Hurd left with a blow to the head, and Darrius Heyward-Bey with a sore knee.

Allen seemed most concerned about the Myers situation.

– Mitchell remains pain free and outwardly confident in his own ability, while at the same time believing he has to prove himself to make the team. His reputation for being a little over-enthusiastic has been duly noted by offensive assistants, coordinator Greg Knapp in particular.

Mitchell said Knapp is on him when he gets anywhere near the quarterback, reminding him it’s hands off.

Such will not be the case against Dallas Monday night.

“They’re going to let the chains off Monday night,’’ Mitchell said. “I can’t wait because no one is going to be telling me to do this, that and the other. The chains are off and I can just get to go play ball.’’

– With Goodson and Jones out, Darren McFadden probably took more snaps than the Raiders would like and as is usually the case in training camp, looked spectacular.

Training camp is made for McFadden. He can’t be tackled low because he’s the Raiders’ meal ticket, and there is no tackling to the ground or drive-through tackles, so basically he can just run everyone over.

Marcel Reece took got some work as running back out of a single back set and so did fullback Rashawn Jackson. The guy who will probably get the bulk of the work is Lonyae Miller, who played four games for the Cowboys in 2010 and spent last year on the Dallas practice squad before being cut and signed to the Raiders’ practice squad Dec. 7.

Cornerback Shawntae Spencer continues to really after a difficult start to camp, breaking up a long Palmer pass intended for Jacoby Ford and staying with him stride for stride.

– Philip Wheeler continues to be the most explosive player among the linebackers, knifing into the backfield to stop Miller for a loss.

– Personnel guru Gil Brandt was at the facility taping some interviews for Sirius NFL radio and couldn’t help but think about how different the atmosphere was without Al Davis.

“Al was an amazing person. He understood everything and he saw everything. You’’d come out here and he’d be out there in his cart, calling a player over give them pointers,” Brandt said. `It’s strange without him, but time moves on.

Brandt said Allen has an excellent reptuation throughout the league and said “the Saints were sick about it when they lost him to Denver as defensive coordinator. He looks like he’s got this team very well organized.”

– The Raiders said they would have word Saturday on whether the Monday night game agiansat Dallas would be televised live in the Bay Area or on tape delay. In past years, preseason games have typically been delayed.

The Raiders are back at it Saturday morning at 8:50 a.m.

• Method To My Madness

115-1 odds? i know i didnt see that….Dell put a cool grand on it!

• realtruraider

Didn’t DA coach the DB’s with the Saints when Shockey was there? I would guess he knows what you get with him on the field and in the lockerroom, so if Myers injury is serious we will find out what DA thinks about him

• Method To My Madness

ok 75-1 odds….still dell good bet

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

TP’s Salary for 2012 season is $465,000.
    Minimum salary for a player with 0 experience for 2012 is 355k, and around 600K for vets with 3 years exp.

• Raider Dell

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:34 am
    If someone could switch Balfour to decaf pre-game, he probably could close.

But one walk, and he starts screaming at himself on the mound, and looking like he is about to have a panic attack.

It is kind of uncomfortable to watch it.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    No, Balfour good set up guy in the eight inning or seventh inning. Leave him there.

• Just Fire Baby

115-1 odds?

******************

I wouldn’t think in Vegas, maybe on-line or somewhere overseas.

You can go halfway through the season, and a team that is 2-6 still will be at 100-1 or something.

• Raider Dell

Method To My Madness Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:36 am
    ok 75-1 odds….still dell good bet
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Good idea, only money. Plus one less night at the strip club should help pay for the bet.

• J-Raider

Method To My Madness Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:32 am
    J-Raider Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:30 am
    Method To My Madness Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:24 am
    Vegas….well we shall see…Curry wasnt that bad for us….just needed more in coverage since they had him at WLB…I always maintained at his big size he needs to be SLB….but I think he is done in Oakland….on to Tenacious B at WLB
    ——————————–
    TENACIOUS B!!!!!! he will set that edge for many years to come!!!!!!!!
    ****************

Somehow that needs to be coined and promoted….i think the Raider support base would get behind that
    ———————————————–
    im making a poster for the game in cincy this november, it wil read:

Tenacious “B”
    Let’s Go Burris!
    Tenacious “B”

• Just Fire Baby

Futures bets, are all about the opportunity to hedge down the road.

Raiders get to the playoffs, and you got a 50-1 ticket in hand, you better start taking the other side or you are throwing away an arbitrage opportunity.

• Pingback: Saturday links | TheEastCoastRaider

• r8eray

Bears waived CB Jeremy Ware….for depth?

• Raider Dell

A 1873 dime sold for $1.6 mil,how interesting the value on a dime in today’s historical worth.

• Raider Dell

I wonder if anyone looks over their change and will notice the older coins made from silver. Most of that change is in areas where you have less commerce activity and at garage sales.

• DJ Johnny

# Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:18 am

Facts:
    1- TP is a 3rd round pick, and he doesn’t cost much and expectations are not that high compared to other young QBs drafted in the 1st round.

***************************

Pryor might be the highest paid 3rd string QB in the league.

After what i saw Thurs. nite, Jason Campbell is about to take over that distinction.

• http://www.djsulli.com/ Silverandblack666

yeah 75 to 1 on oddsmaker I used to use Bodog but the damn retard government buttholes took that site down.

• Raider Dell

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:50 am
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

More like buttheads.

• Just Fire Baby

And took down all the poker sites.

I got most of my money out of fulltilt, but I think they took $60-70 from me.

• http://InsidetheOaklandRaiders Goldie7

Great article Jer! Enjoyed reading. Thanks a million!

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

MRI on Myers was negative. w00t!

• http://www.djsulli.com/ Silverandblack666

Good point Dell

Good to hear about Meyers I think he is going to have a big year and make some huge 1st down conversions for us you watch.

• Raider D

And the winner is post # 264 lol DJ Soup!

• Raider Dell

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:59 am
    Good point Dell

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    I was able to watch a few Texan games last year and noticed mostly on second down two tightends set in the game. They usually lined up next to each other and since Knapp was there I’m sure he is going to bring some of that variety to our offense.

• Raider D

Which Patriots TE will be available at cuts, since they have an abundance at the position?

• http://www.djsulli.com/ Silverandblack666

“Pryor might be the highest paid 3rd string QB in the league.”

What a load the signed a 4 year 2 mil contract as I recall and that’s about 500K a year…I think the vet minimum is 650.

• r8eray

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 11:54 am
    And took down all the poker sites.

I got most of my money out of fulltilt, but I think they took $60-70 from me.

======

You familiar with the tiltboys?

Did some work at Perry Friedman’s house the other day…still working on it! Seems to be a pretty cool guy. Lives up there on Stephanie and 215…McDonalds Ranch. I’m sure your familiar with that area?

• http://www.djsulli.com/ Silverandblack666

Dell

Yesterday I was listening to The Painted Silver Light thinking about FF and I am not going to be in three leagues this year like usual I think I am just going to bet parlays and play in just the one league.

Because if I focus on fantasy stats that takes away from my point spread study time so its hard for me to be in 3 FF leagues and concentrate on my parlay.

So if I am only in one FF league be ware I will take it more serious than I have in the past.

• TxRaider210

———————
    Guys, are pro-line jerseys decent? They have almost the whole team except Burris.lol scroll down the page

• TxRaider210

—————–
    Guess I answered my own, question. They spelled Houston without the U.lol

• http://www.djsulli.com/ Silverandblack666

in other words Sun Aug 26 12:45pm PDT is set on my calendar!

• Raider Dell

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 12:12 pm
    Dell

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Well thought out and I agree with your logic. As for me, I’m pretty stupid, I’m in four leagues and just can’t say no. Love football too much.

• Raider Dell

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 12:16 pm
    in other words Sun Aug 26 12:45pm PDT is set on my calendar!
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    I figured you would be there, where else can you find weekly smack and updates on an ongoing basis except from an outstanding commissioner/ with managers who know their stuff.

• TxRaider210
  • DJ Johnny

Is this for real?

Raiders sell out their first preseason game? I remember last yr seeing like 20,000 in the stands for preseason.

Has this happened before?

• DJ Johnny

# Raider D Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 12:04 pm

That’s true D. I’ll take Gronk.

• http://www.djsulli.com/ Silverandblack666

The draft is the biggest rush for me I love that feeling.

Yeah the Commissioner is outstanding and the managers are not afraid to speak their opinions.

I have to say everyone showed great sportsmanship when that strange thing happened to me in that trade last year.

My compliments to the commissioner for a job well done.

• DJ Johnny

Am i overreacting to the sellout?

Just seems unusual to sell out a preseason game. Bears didn’t come close to selling out Soldier Field other night.

• Raiders for life

283.DJ Johnny Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 12:25 pm
    Is this for real?

Has this happened before?

#####################

Good question, if it’s a full house I’m gonna be jazzed.

• r8eray

DJ, you gotta remember…there are a ish load of Cowgirl fans in the West Coast too!

I’m sure a good % of them tix are a bunch of Glory Holes!

Lol

• DJ Johnny

What was this “Glory Hole” thing w/ Jerry Jones? I heard something about it but never heard what it was about?

• Raiders for life

Levi Damien ‏@LeviDamien
    Allen on Curry playing in season opener: “We’re getting closer to that point where that might not be a possibility

• DJ Johnny

I’ll bet the last time the O. Co was sold out for preseason game was the 1st game back from LA.

• Raiders for life

Levi Damien ‏@LeviDamien
    Allen on winning preseason games: “It’s the only reason why you play the games.”

lol, well that shoots down my theory that win/loss doesn’t matter in preseason.

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

Raiders For Life Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 12:44 pm
    Levi Damien ‏@LeviDamien

============================================

Thank goodness we drafted #56 in Round 4.

• realtruraider

I don’t think they sold out, Yesterday it was reported that they didn’t, Amy or somebody told reporters that the league is working with teams on the blackout rules and there was a chance it would be on TV live. Today Amy told them it would be on, so I doubt it was sold out, just the league changing there stance on preseason blackouts is all

• Plunketthead

Hello Dell, Vegas 66

I sent the league an email yesterday. Did anyone recieve it? It does not show up at the site but I got it in my mailbox

• ravenaider

Sirius Radio is broadcasting live from Napa today.All RAIDERS coverage until 4pm PST

• realtruraider

@DJ

Youtube Jerry Jones Glory hole

• DJ Johnny

# realtruraider Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 12:48 pm

@DJ

Youtube Jerry Jones Glory hole

Ha. Ok. Can’t wait. Thanks.

• DJ Johnny

# realtruraider Says:
    August 11th, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I got the info from the new article on THIS site.

It was just posted like a half hour ago I think.

• realtruraider

Man I Wish I still had Sirius, I get the music stations on my Dish, wish it had Sports and Howard too