Thursday practice notes

By Steve Corkran
Thursday, August 16th, 2012 at 12:59 pm in Oakland Raiders.

As is the norm, the Raiders on Thursday went through an abbreviated practice on the eve of a game. Here are some notes about what to look for in the exhibition game against the Arizona Cardinals.

– Wide receiver Denarius Moore (hamstring), punter Shane Lechler (knee), offensive linemen Zach Hurd (head), Ed Wang (shoulder) and Stefen Wisniewski (calf), fullback Rashawn Jackson (hip), running back Taiwan Jones (hamstring), tight end Brandon Myers (shoulder) and linebacker Aaron Curry (knee) won’t play Friday night, Allen said.
Defensive end Jack Crawford (foot) and defensive tackle Jamie Cumbie (foot) are questionable for the Cardinals game. Cumbie returned to practice Thursday.

– Coach Dennis Allen said running backs Darren McFadden and Mike Goodson are slated to play against the Cardinals. Goodson returned from a neck injury Wednesday after missing a week, including Oakland’s exhibition opener.
Goodson’s return to game action figures to cut into the playing time of first-year back Lonyae Miller, who rushed 13 times Monday night against the Dallas Cowboys.
Don’t look for McFadden to get more than a handful of touches. He rushed twice and caught one pass against the Cowboys.

– We know that recent acquisition Korey Bosworth played at UCLA and spent time with the Detroit Lions the past two seasons. Allen said he doesn’t know much more than that, either.
“I know that he spent some time in Detroit’s camp and he’s a guy that we’re bringing in for some depth at linebacker, giving him an opportunity to play some special teams Friday night and see what he can do,” Allen said.

– Carson Palmer will start Friday night, though he is expected to play more than he did in the first game, Allen said. Matt Leinart will relieve Palmer, as he did the first game, with Terrelle Pryor finishing the game.
This rotation portends Leinart being the clear-cut No. 2 and the odds-on candidate to be Palmer’s primary backup once the regular season rolls around.

– Veteran offensive coordinator Greg Knapp has sole control of the play-calling, Allen said. That doesn’t mean that Allen isn’t involved in the process.
“He calls the plays,” Allen said. “I might, situationally, have a suggestion for him, but he calls the plays and I give him full authority to call it how he sees fit.”
Knapp did likewise during his first stint with the Raiders. That is, until then-coach Tom Cable stripped Knapp of the play-calling duties in favor of handling that role himself.
Allen is a defensive-minded coach. For now, he is immersing himself in all aspects of the team and letting his assistants do their jobs.
“I try to stay involved with them as far as what they’re doing and kind of what the game plan is,” Allen said of the offensive coaches, “but as far as calling the plays on Sunday, I’m not going to get involved in that. If I want him to run it, I might have a suggestion to run it or throw it but, for the most part, I’m going to let him call the game.”

– Allen said he’s still seeking clarity from the tight end spot. Myers’ injury gives Richard Gordon and David Ausberry more opportunities to close ground on Myers, who Allen said earlier in camp is the No. 1 tight end until further notice.
“They’re all in the running to win the job,” Allen said. “Nobody’s locked that job down. Obviously, it’s hurt Brandon that he hasn’t been able to be out here with a shoulder, but I’ve been impressed with what Richard’s been able to do. He gives us a little bit better blocking presence on the edge.
“I’ll be interested to see how he comes out and plays. He was ill a little bit last week going into the game. He should be good to go this week and we’ll see how he plays.”

– Curry remains in Los Angeles receiving treatments on his sore knee. He has yet to take part in any practices since training camp started.
Even so, Allen said, it’s not too late for Curry to work his way back into the mix for the regular-season opener.
“I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility right now,” Allen said. “Obviously, every day we get closer to the beginning of the season that becomes less of a possibility. For him to be ready to go, he’s going to have to be ready here pretty soon to start getting some work.”
Allen said he expects Curry back in Napa next week at some point.

– Allen said that he is like most NFL head coaches in their belief that front-line players get their feet wet in the exhibition opener, play quite a bit more in the second game and the most in the third game.
So, plan on seeing more of the projected starters Friday night than you did Monday night.

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

Klas has been to Waco! Dr. Pepper Museum!

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

Holla! I’m out!

• RAIDERMAN99

Is tonight’s game going to be televised in the Bay area ? I’m assuming it will be.

Here in Reno, we’d always get the Whiner and Raid telecasts of pre-season games on one of our local channels.

Don’t see the Raider game listed tonight but the Whiners will be shown this weekend. That sucks.

Guess I’ll have to hope the NFL Network replays it.

• JB

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    August 17th, 2012 at 12:19 pm

lefty12 Says:
    August 17th, 2012 at 12:09 pm

99- and you too aren’t getting the point.The team is more important than a 3rd string QB.Our back-up may know the system but he is with new players.Getting game reps with those players is more important than giving reps to your 3rd QB.I’m pretty sure the staff can tell if Pryor has a future at QB by what they see in practices and workouts.
    =================

i doubt it. Allen said games are more important than practice and that is where you truly assess a players ability.

Besides dont forget, allen was with tebow in denver last year. he saw first hand that a qb can llok horrible in practice then win on sunday. Dont think for one second he doesnt compare tebow and pryor, otherwise they may have pulled the plug on pryor a long time ago ,and brought in a jim sorgi type.

Trust me the tebow experience is not lost on allen
    ********************

Probably a pretty accurate assessment.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Fox Live 7pm

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Maybe i will swing by rickys to watch the game tonight. I hope carson and pryor show major improvement tonight

go raiders

• JB

RAIDERMAN99 Says:
    August 17th, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Guess I’ll have to hope the NFL Network replays it.
    **********************

On KTVU Ch. 2 (Fox) in the Bay Area tonight.

• lefty12

99-they are tomorrow evening.

• RaydaSwagger

KoolKell Says:
    August 17th, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Klas Tjorborn Says:
    August 17th, 2012 at 12:24 pm

LOL Kell, you the funny man. It seems like your life is the sh*t too. It is 12:30 in California. Why are you not working?
    ————————
    @99

Naw, this is one of my stalkers. Mr/Sullivan didn’t stalk me. This is Beech. the Sweden angle only proves it to me. He always made fun of my skandi visits.
    =======================
    Kell isn’t working because, as he has clearly stated “I’m lucky to have married a woman who has a job, and can support me.”

YOU ALL KNOW ABOUT THE REAL ESTATE SCAM, RIGHT?

His wife actually thinks he’s working during the day. Out canvassing. Looking for leads. Talking to everyone who will listen on why he should be their agent.

Wife comes home, where she finds him still on the computer.
    Except she thinks he’s looking at listings, late into the night. Every night.

Even on his anniversary he was online.

Except his lazy fatazz is on this board. Not looking for leads. Not canvassing.

Blogging. LOL

Sad, no?

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Klas Tjorborn Says:
    August 17th, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Holla! I’m out!
    ============

hahahhaa

they dont say “holla” in sweden

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

RaydaSwagger Says:
    August 17th, 2012 at 1:01 pm
    KoolKell Says:
    August 17th, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Klas Tjorborn Says:
    August 17th, 2012 at 12:24 pm

————————
    @99

=======================

YOU ALL KNOW ABOUT THE REAL ESTATE SCAM, RIGHT?

Wife comes home, where she finds him still on the computer.
    Except she thinks he’s looking at listings, late into the night. Every night.

Even on his anniversary he was online.

Except his lazy fatazz is on this board. Not looking for leads. Not canvassing.

Blogging. LOL

Sad, no?
    —————————-
    Now this is Method to My Madness. Geez what stalkers, sooooooo fixated on me.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Klas/Method Madness? I know they’re definetly one of my stalkers.

Hey Brien. Lol.

• RaydaSwagger

Still calling you out, Kell, that you are a lyingazz dog.

Listing? $1000,000 house? Easy to post the listing, lyingazz dog, that shows you as the buyers agent.

This is where you call me a troll, believing that gets you off the hook.
    We both know it doesn’t.
    Is your wife proud of you, Michael Kelly?
    How about her family? She works. You sit home, all day, every day.
    Dealing with the I told you so’s, from her family.
    Sad excuse for a man, No?

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

As soon as Klas leaves, the Brien character takes over. Get a life, jeez.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

RaydaSwagger Says:
    August 17th, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Still calling you out, Kell, that you are a lyingazz dog.

———————–
    Why are you so angry and concerned, Brien? Got get your license, then tell me my business.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

RaydaSwagger Says:
    August 17th, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Is your wife proud of you, Michael Kelly?
    How about her family? She works. You sit home, all day, every day.
    Dealing with the I told you so’s, from her family.
    Sad excuse for a man, No?
    ————————–
    Haven’t heard any complaints from her or her family. Been together 27 yrs. Going to Switzerland to visit family in Oct……..they love me.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

• DennisAllensVisor

lefty12 Says:
    August 17th, 2012 at 12:19 pm
    DAV,can we afford to carry another WR with health questions?

—-

What’s confusing to me is, he is good enough to have stashed on the IR. IMO.

May never happen though. Sad..

• DJ Johnny

Das icht ein Berliner.

• http://www.djsulli.com/ Silverandblack666

“My wife’s cousin in Zurich, is the founder of a Swiss Search Engine, very wealthy. He lives in Vegas almost half the year. We’ll be staying at his place.”

I once touched a girl who touched a guy that touched Mick Jaggers big toe….I know that is not as cool as having a rich relative but its my claim to fame!

• http://www.djsulli.com/ Silverandblack666

“Das icht ein Berliner.”

Das glaube ich nicht Gute Fahrt / Reise!

• Just Fire Baby

(Chuckle-Chuckle)

Man, some of you need to lighten up a tad.

It was a JOKE, 15 words. Mistic prefers black QB’s, or at least that’s what he talks about mostly. So what?

It’s funny that a simple light-hearted poke, will get you (and others) to start going off on white and black race issues, this blog compared to society, and big old long posts about nothing, to make you feel better.

Glad I can help.

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

Kell,

You’d think these guys would have died with Al Davis. Just what is their objective now? lol. The “Al haters” won the war. It’s over. Mark Davis is in charge, and he couldn’t run the team more opposite of his dad if he changed his name to DeBartolo.

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

Mark Debartolo.

I like the ring to it. That’s what I’m going to call Mark Davis for now on.

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

JFB, as if you weren’t hoping for that sort of reaction.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 17th, 2012 at 1:21 pm

(Chuckle-Chuckle)

Man, some of you need to lighten up a tad.

====================

dont speak for me, i would gladly have andrew luck, brees , brady or either manning in place of palmer.

• Just Fire Baby

I am more looking forward to the reaction of when Carson Palmer plays great football this year, but it will do for now.

• RaydaSwagger

KoolKell Says:
    August 17th, 2012 at 1:11 pm

RaydaSwagger Says:
    August 17th, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Is your wife proud of you, Michael Kelly?
    How about her family? She works. You sit home, all day, every day.
    Dealing with the I told you so’s, from her family.
    Sad excuse for a man, No?
    ————————–
    ===============
    Oh sure. What’s not to love?
    You don’t work. You brag that your wife works, while you sit on your azz. You don’t pay any attention to the bread winner in your family. You are on here every single night, while your wife is in the other room, alone. You have no job. No children.
    Nothing.
    Who do you think you’re kidding saying you haven’t heard any complaints from the family?

• Just Fire Baby

Wow, you don’t say.

Would you rather have Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson and AJ Green over DHB too?

• R8ER MIKE

Seems to me like a few folks in here could use a couple beers and a few bong hits to mellow out a bit !!

• hwnrdr

What’s up Mike?

• RaydaSwagger

Kell?
    When was the last time you felt like a man?
    Save the goofy chuckles.
    Seriously. When was the last time you felt proud?
    Your wife works. you don’t.
    She pays the bills. you don’t.
    You blog all day.

So tell me again how a white family has no complaints while there daughter works, while her black husband brags that she takes care of him?

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 17th, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Wow, you don’t say.

Would you rather have Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson and AJ Green over DHB too?
    ===============

you are making point fool, i would take certain qbs over palmer BECAUSE THEY ARE BETTER PLAYERS, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SKIN COLOR.

you are a slap

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

Just got home. Hope to nap soon. Kell, it seems like you don’t have too many friends on here, no?

• Just Fire Baby

I’m sure you would rather have Terrell Pryor over Matt Ryan, and that’s about all I need to know.

In fact, you have basically said you are ready to bench Carson after 4 games and go with Pryor, which basically blows your “better players” theory out the water.

But carry on, if you most. Maybe you can sing us another lullaby about Troy Smith, Jarrod Johnson and EJ Manuel while your at it.

• Raidernationdave

Amen to that! Bong rips at 7 @ kickoff! Gotta be to bed early though….takin’ my boy to LAX.

Hanger 24 Porter chilin’ in the fridge.

+++++++++++++++++

R8ER MIKE Says:
    August 17th, 2012 at 1:33 pm

• Raidernationdave

Hopefully CP3 will decide to throw the ball to the guys in the silver helmets.