Preseason stats don’t faze Palmer

Stolen from Wednesday’s paper, plus notes . . .

Carson Palmer isn’t fond of the statistics he’s compiled through two preseason games, but he’s not losing sleep over it.

In some of the more reactionary parts of Raider Nation who are fond of social media, Palmer is already an “issue.’’

He’s throwing interceptions. Missing open receivers. Making bad decisions.

Critics have all the proof they need by looking at the bottom line _ Palmer is 16-for-30 for 240 yards, a 53.3 completion percentage with no touchdown passes and two interceptions for a passer rating of 38.2

For those who believe that preseason football is a precursor to regular season performance, the numbers are almost too JaMarcus-like to contemplate.

Palmer, while not defending his interceptions and admitting to some errors within the offense, also recognizes it’s an entirely different game.

For instance, Palmer may go to a specific receiver simply to give him some work. Or attempt to force one into coverage just to see if it’s possible. Risk-reward doesn’t apply, because in the grand scheme, there is no risk. Only a potential reward and information to be gleaned regardless of the end result.

“That’s what (preseason) is for, really, unless you’re a young guy that hasn’t played and just wants to get acclimated to the speed of the game,’’ Palmer said. “I’ve been around long enougn and that’s not something I’m trying to do.

“There are things we’ll work on and plays we’ll put in we normally wouldn’t put in, or if we want to see if this guy can run by that guy. There are a ton of situations that come up where you do things you wouldn’t do in a regular season game.’’

Both of Palmer’s interceptions were on deep throws _ an overthrow to Jacoby Ford against Dallas when he got a single-safety look that dictates taking a shot downfield, and another high-and-away shot to Richard Gordon that Arizona’s Kerry Rhodes picked off and returned 60 yards.

Although the Raiders went into a regular-season mode and actually began doing some game-planning for Saturday’s game against the Detroit Lions, Palmer’s approach will still be more of a fact-finding mission than a quest for efficiency and a high passer rating.

Ford is injured, Denarius Moore remains out with a hamstring strain and Darrius Heyward-Bey was back at practice but has a shoulder injury. That puts undrafted rookie Rod Streater into the starting lineup and means lots of time for rookie fifth-round draft pick Juron Criner.

“Part of it is, let’s see how they handle being starters, being in with the ones,’’ Palmer said. “I know there’s going to be a lot on a handful of guys’ plates, but it’s a good chance to see how they react to the situation.’’

Raiders coach Dennis Allen has brushed aside any talk of Palmer’s preseason struggles.

“I don’t have any reservations or any doubts at all about Carson Palmer,’’ Allen said.

Palmer looks at the 10 series he has played in two games and sees three Sebastian Janikowski field goals, a lot of mistakes and an equal amount of potential.

“It’s encouraging to know we’ve made a bunch of mistakes, and we’ve still moved the ball,’’ Palmer said. “We’ve been nowhere near where we can be when we’re all clicking and on the same page. It’s just a matter of time. We just need to keep working, keep our heads down and keep playing.’’

NOTES

– Center Stefen Wisniewski missed practice with a calf strain, making it more likely Alex Parsons will get the start against Detroit. Considering the amount of time Wisniewski missed this offseason, Parsons could soon be in line to start the regular-season opener.

– Wide receiver Jacoby Ford (foot), wide receiver Denarius Moore (hamstring, running back Rashawn Jackson (hip), linebacker Aaron Curry (knees), tackle Ed Wang (shoulder) and tackle Zach Hurd (head) , defensive tackle Jamie Cumbie (foot) and defensive tackle Richard Seymour (veteran’s day off) also did not practice.

– Safety Michael Huff returned the practice after witnessing the birth of his daughter, 6-pound, 2 ounce Madeline Rae Huff. Also back were Matt Leinart (lacerated right index finger) and wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey (shoulder).

– Allen started the Raiders on a regular-season schedule, which included closing practice to the media. Ordinarily, the Raiders didn’t close practices until the team returned to the facility in Alameda.

The Raiders practice Wednesday and have their last practice in Napa on Thursday.

– Raiders rookie linebacker Korey Bosworth was 1 when his uncle, Seattle linebacker Brian Bosworth, was flattened by Bo Jackson on a 2-yard run at the Kingdome on Nov. 30, 1987.

“He actually called me up and told me someone might eventually start asking about that,” Korey Bosworth said. “He said, just be nice when that question comes up.”

So how does Korey Bosworth look at the play now that he’s a Raider?

“If I had to say now, I’d say it was a good play by Bo Jackson,” Bosworth said. “But being family and everything, it was just a bad angle, you know?”

Bosworth was laughing as he said it.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• TxRaider210

LOL
    I thought 95 was bad!
    Still LOL

————-
    LOL Yeah man, I really hope this is the beginning of the season change for real.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I see a TREND with Palmer, and I don’t like it.

• TxRaider210

Raider O Says:
    August 22nd, 2012 at 12:12 pm
    I see a TREND with Palmer, and I don’t like it.

——————
    I see your point man, but you have posters saying that his INT was the worst ever.lmao This game, I’m more concerned with Parsons’ play and Bartell on Megatron, Palmer should manage better with a bigger playbook.

• purvisman

Geez,do I have to look up the stats again? Last 4 or 5 games last year with playoffs on the line Palmer played mostly outstanding football.

• TxRaider210

purvisman Says:
    August 22nd, 2012 at 12:14 pm

————–
    That he did.

• CJ Legend 34

@Raider O #602 – Yep!Started back in Cincy after being out a season with a leg injury.

• raidertbone

Let’s see what happens against SuckDiego …

• CJ Legend 34

New Post……..see ya!!!

• TxRaider210

Might be too early to tell, but cut Smurf12 and I’d better CP doesn’t throw nearly as many INTs this year.

• DJ Johnny

563.R8ER MIKE Says:
    August 22nd, 2012 at 11:51 am
    Debo,with your blind love of Jameatball I cant take anything you
    say seriously. You say Palmer is a bad quarterback but put a fat
    lazy out of shape drug user on a pedestal.you make no sense to
    me at all !! and riddle me this batman.. why has no team picked up
    the phone and called your golden boy for a job or even a try out??
    last workout he had was last year in Washington, and then he shows
    up weighing close to 300 lbs !!!

It’s Al Davis’s fault of course. Al sticking up for him in the Kiffin presser and also paying him all that $$$ retarded his development and hurt his feelings.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Last 4 or 5 games?!?!
    You may want to increase your sample size to be more accurate in your assessment.

• SaintKaufman

O,
    Name me 1 QB that had stepped away from the game for 10 months and then without any practice or seeing a playbook gets called up to play in a blowout loss, gets 1 week of practice then is named the starter for the rest of the season?

The dude throws picks. Yep, true. That’s what kind of QB he is I guess. There have been many great ones that throw picks. He is not a check down game manager let the defense win type of passer.

Obviously you want someone else. Name any QB out of the last 20 that the Raiders have had that you would rather have. Let’s start there and then work our way back.

• bunk moorland

Raider O Says:
    August 22nd, 2012 at 12:08 pm
    Tx & Saint,

CP is not a rookie, he has been in the league for some time now, same with Knapp, so I can understand why some people (including myself) have concerns with some of their issues that are starting to show AGAIN in this preseason.
    I don’t want to keep posting the same stat, but look at Palmer’s stats the last 2 seasons (36 games), and tell me with a straight face that he doesn’t have a TO/ INT issue.——————————————————————————————————-

Not here to argue by any means, but he had two of the most undisciplined rout running wr in the game( owens and johnson). If you have to throw to a spot, and wr is not there, that could inflate your int stats.

• blackandsilverside

DJ Johnny Says:
    August 22nd, 2012 at 12:09 pm

583.TxRaider210 Says:
    August 22nd, 2012 at 12:03 pm
    purvisman Says:
    August 22nd, 2012 at 12:01 pm
    TxRaider210 Says:
    August 22nd, 2012 at 11:45 am
    Saying that CP’s INT in pre-season was the worst in history is right there with the guy claiming to be a Raider/9er fan the other day. Hilarious!////////////////////////That was silverandblacksides, don’t let anyone forget.

——————
    Should be silverandblackandredandgoldsides

I’m assuming there are a few fans out by u guys who root for both teams( as unfotunate and wrong as that is) but he lost me when he said the 9′ers would kick the Raiders azzes every Sunday if they played.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

“unfortunate and wrong” lol…… seems like many in here need to get a life. I told you all once, and I will say it again: I am a Raiders fan first and 49′er fan second, and have been before you Johnny-Come-Lately(s) were even born.

I’ll say it again now regarding the current state of both teams: the 49′ers will beat the Raiders every time.

Hopefully that will change soon and the Raiders will be the dominant team.

• TxRaider210

August 22nd, 2012 at 12:01 pm
    TxRaider210 Says:
    August 22nd, 2012 at 11:45 am

——————
    Should be silverandblackandredandgoldsides

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Hopefully that will change soon and the Raiders will be the dominant team.
    ——————————————————-

When did Benadict Arnold change his name

• DJ Johnny

Blackside,

You certainly have the right to be a fan of whichever team you want.

I’m being facetious when I say it is “wrong” to do so.

Only in the sense it might break the unwritten “rabid loyal fan code”.

In the grand scheme of life, there are bigger concerns of course.

• DJ Johnny

Where is this new post you speak of?

• Suspect J

359.Suspect J Says:
    August 22nd, 2012 at 8:55 am
    Carter could be a good pick up. Just have him in on third downs so he can rush the passer. Just think hes a situational guy though. We need another running back! Goodson is not going to cut it. Jones just seems to be hurt all the time.

——————————————————

I agree! We need another RB on this team. DMAC is a TOP 10 RB in the NFL when he is on the field. However, I think Reggie does not want to over spend for an older back. I think he knows he can get a reliable back when teams cut down for a reasonable price.

———————–

I understand Reggie is just waiting to pull the trigger on another Back. We just need sombody solid who can hold on to the freakin ball when there number is called.

I have a feeling that DMAC is gonna be healthy this whole season and run his ass off all the way to the Superbowl. I just have this GUT FEELING