Coordinators pleased with progress

The third exhibition game is when teams tend to play their projected starters the longest, meaning we’ll get our best gauge of how the Raiders shape up for the regular-season opener Saturday night.
Offensive coordinator Greg Knapp and defensive coordinator Jason Tarver already have seen enough to have a pretty fair idea about where their players stand. On Wednesday, both sounded as if they are satisfied with the progress made so far in training camp.
“Applying the rules, we’ve been doing pretty well,” Tarver said. “And learning how to work together, we’ve been doing pretty well.”
Knapp seems just as confident in his offensive troops.
“Yeah, I’m pleased,” Knapp said. “It may not show up on the scoreboard right now, we need to improve our scoring production, but there’s been quite a few changeable parts on offense along with learning a new system and I did see, as I told the offense after the second game, good improvement from game one to game two. We’re moving the ball well, we just gotta do a better job of finishing.”
Sure, people want to know why Carson Palmer is forcing passes, why the Raiders aren’t punching in the ball from the 1-yard line and why the Raiders didn’t score at all against the Cowboys?
Calm down, Knapp said, in essence. This is the preseason, when teams work on things and don’t get so caught up in what the opponent is doing.
That will change, to some extent, Saturday, given the Raiders are game-planning somewhat for the Detroit Lions as a means of simulating the flow and preparation during the week of a regular-season game.
“We’re doing this week like it’s a mock in-season week, the way we teach our third-down presentation this morning, red zone, tomorrow short-yardage and goal-line,” Knapp said. “So, there’s a growth going on right now with the players and with the coaches. It’s not only we’re just coaching the players here, we’re coaching coaches because it’s a new staff being worked together and this is really the first time we’ve prepared for a game.
“Everything else has been sunny and sunshine, out here in grass and there’s no win-loss record. But now we’re preparing for a game, and it’s good practice for all of us to go through.”
Tarver said the Lions present a stern challenge for the Raiders defense in that the Lions offense does a nice job of changing the tempo, depending upon what they want to accomplish.
“I’m most interested in our process and how we handle those situations, because we haven’t gotten a lot of that yet,” Tarver said. “That’s what I’m excited about with Detroit for us. Let’s see what we can do. Player-wise, group-wise, I’m excited to watch them all.”

– Raiders coach Dennis Allen said center Stefen Wisniewski likely won’t play against the Lions, in part because of the calf injury Wisniewski suffered against the Dallas Cowboys and in part because it’s only an exhibition game.
“If we were in the regular season, could he push through and play? Probably,” Allen said. “Maybe. I don’t know. We’re not going to take that chance right now in a preseason game.”
Alex Parsons is in line to start at center Saturday. Knapp said the fact Parsons got in so much work with the first-team offense during the offseason workouts, while Wisniewski was recovering from shoulder surgery, and since Wisniewski’s most-recent injury bodes well for his making a seamless transition.

– Backup quarterback Matt Leinart participated in some drills Wednesday, with his right index finger tapes up. Allen said Leinart is healthy enough to play Saturday night. He said it will be a game-time decision.
If Leinart is held out, that means more playing time for Terrelle Pryor. It also means that Pryor would get his first shot at showing what he can do against defenders who actually might make an opening-day roster.

– Defensive tackle Richard Seymour missed practice once again. He has missed all three practices since the Raiders game against the Cardinals on Friday night.
Still, Allen said, his absence has more to do with Seymour’s age than it does with a knee that has bothered him for at least part of camp.
“It’s not an injury,” Allen said. “He’s an older veteran guy and his knees get a little sore, so we try to rest him to make sure we get him ready to play.”
Allen said Seymour “pushed real hard” early in camp, so now it’s time to put on the brakes and think long-term with the regular-season just around the corner.
“Guys can only get out and get so many … they’ve only got so many shots,” Allen said “When a guy gets more age on him, you have to be careful as far as how much you use him. The deal is, we have to get him enough work to get him ready to play but yet have him ready to play so we can have him for a full 16 games this year.”

– Tarver said for second-year cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke to take the next step, he needs to carry over what he does in practice to the games.
“I would really like to see him play like he plays out here, and just play with what we know he can do,” Tarver said. “And he’s heard that from me this week, so that’s what I’d like to see him do. Play like he plays at practice, because he plays pretty good at practice.”
Van Dyke looked sharp early on in camp. However, he struggled in Oakland’s first two exhibition games.
Van Dyke said he is going to follow Tarver’s advice.
“I’ve just got to just go out there and play ball,” Van Dyke said. “I’m doing too much thinking I think, and coach Tarver, he gave me a lot of advice, just telling me to go out there and just play ball. Don’t worry about making mistakes, just play like I was the first two weeks of camp.”

– For those worried about Palmer’s inconsistent play the first two games, Knapp offered up this explanation:
“I’ve encouraged from Day One, my belief for a quarterback to learn a new offense, you got to try some stuff,” Knapp said. “And I’ll sacrifice some of the ups and downs that go with that. It’s like all of our professions, isn’t it? If you make some mistakes, you usually grow from it.
“And that’s what I want him to do in the preseason since the games aren’t held accountable, so to speak. You still want to win, you still want to have that taste of it, but he’s got to test himself. I don’t ever want to train a guy to be conservative from Day One. He won’t know his limits then. It’s very important that quarterbacks who are new to the system, him and Terrelle primarily here, take some chances and get a feel for, ‘OK, what can I do and what can’t I do while it’s preseason?’ ”

– Knapp called running back Darren McFadden’s number on back-to-back down plays near the goal line against the Cardinals. McFadden got stuffed both times. However, that won’t deter Knapp from going back to McFadden in similar situations.
“I’ve always had a belief that the number one back can still be the goal line back, doesn’t have to necessarily be a bigger, stronger guy,” Knapp said. “My experience tells me so. The last couple years, it was Arian Foster had a lot of success. Warrick Dunn was one the best inside tackle runners I’ve ever been around as a coach.
“It’s not just the back that requires the execution of the play. So, it didn’t bother me to have him in there, we just didn’t get it executed across the board.”

Steve Corkran

• jesusraiderjim

Marks hair Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 8:12 am
    Im thinking we need to sacrifice a white woman to the injury demon this yr.. We’ll get a nice vigin & tie her to als torch.. Sorry lady, cant loose dmac again…

—————————————————-
    If no virgins are available a “Slump Buster” will work just as well.

• Just Fire Baby

Pat Lee was attending the birth of his child.. He is the lock for 5th CB.

******************************

Our 5th CB, who has barely played in the preseason, is a “lock”???

Not sure if I am buying that, Lee has to play his way onto the roster, IMO.

• Just Fire Baby

The only “locks” at CB, IMO, are Bartell, Spencer and Chekwa.

Me thinks, Lee, DVD and McCann are fighting for 2 spots.

McCann is our kick returner, so he gets one of the 2 spots, and DVD and Lee can fight it out over the other one.

• jesusraiderjim

447.R8ER MIKE Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 8:49 am
    @MikieG damn brother now tell us how you really feel !!

—————————————-
    Damn Dog way to “ream out” the nation. Love the passion Knute, maybe Reg can put you on staff, you truely an inspiration LMAO

• DennisAllensVisor

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 9:02 am
    The only “locks” at CB, IMO, are Bartell, Spencer and Chekwa.

Me thinks, Lee, DVD and McCann are fighting for 2 spots.

—-

Respectfully Disagree. Strongly.

• Marks hair

Nothing cooler than complaining about complainers

• Just Fire Baby

What do you disagree with?

Who is returning kicks if McCann isn’t? Who do think will be playing nickle this Saturday (my money is on McCann again).

Who are your locks and how many CB’s do you see us keeping?

• The Big Banana

MikieG Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 8:43 am
    Glad to see the infants, trolls, and knownothings have shown up for today’s posting.
    Good Odin I wish there was an ignore button on this thing so I could actually read some comments about football instead of Carson Sucks, Knapp Sucks, Our Offense Sucks, Seymour Sucks, Our Preaseason has sucked, Were gonna suck, Waaaaah I wan’t my blankie and for the Raiders to score on every single possesion of the year and for our defense to make everyone go three and out for 19 games, and Palmer to complete every pass and McFadden to score every time he touches the ball so I don’t have to cry myself to sleep not knowing were going to go 19-0 this year.
    I swear to almighty Zeus that 80% of you “FANS” don’t know jack crap about football, and the last time you ever walked onto a football field, you had on a cheerleader outfit, were carrying water, or had a f#@cking tuba strapped to your fat@ass.
    Do us all a favor and fV*ck off for the rest of the season, so we can discuss actual football and the state of the Raiders and not how this team ties into your personal assessment of self worth and loathing.
    Let the games begin!

——

Co-signed

• DennisAllensVisor

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 9:10 am
    What do you disagree with?

Who are your locks and how many CB’s do you see us keeping?

—-

I disagree with your CB locks.

Bartell, Spencer, DVD, Chekwa & Lee are locks.

McCann will make the roster if there is no other options to return kicks.

Thats why I brought up Holliday/Ginn/Banks earlier.

McCann played slot last week due to Huff & Lee being out at child births. Dont read so much into it.

• raiderfankirk

Redo hustons contact with incentive to carry the ball. No more than five plays. Short yardage solved. Or …dress Zack Crockett, dude still looks the part.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Mike G,

People have opinions, it’s a blog! If you don’t like to read people’s opinions, then do us all a favor and Eff off!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

TBB,

It’s not a good idea to encourage idiots like MikeG.

• Just Fire Baby

I didn’t see Lee playing any nickle the week before.

Not sure how he has earned “lock” status in your eye, same with DVD.

DVD is playing defensively with 10 other guys who might be cut, and he was the worse one out there!!!

• raiderfankirk

Murphy looks healthy and good for Carolina. Reg might have f’ed up there.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Hwnrdr Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 8:30 am
    R8ER MIKE Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 8:28 am
    Marks hair Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 8:12 am

**********************************
    lol lol lol…. and just where in California are you going to find said virgin ?????

In the Hot Tub Time Machine, set your destination for…
    Wait…you got a point Mike..lol
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ROFLMAO
    A white woman who is a virgin? Good luck.

• Just Fire Baby

I did not know you needed to know “jack crap” to be a fan, lol.

And having spent 4 years as a season ticket holder on Mt. Davis, the football knowledge in here, as vastly greater than it was up there.

• R8ER MIKE

O dog!!
    the GreenParty V.P.
    whats good today my brother ??

• DennisAllensVisor

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 9:19 am
    I didn’t see Lee playing any nickle the week before.

Not sure how he has earned “lock” status in your eye, same with DVD.

—-

Lee is a ST coverage stud. And plays 10x better CB than McCann.

McCann is only on a team due to his avg return ability.

DVD is nowhere near the chopping line. At all. Coaches have seen his ability in practice, its their goal to get that in a game.

Like I said, McCann may make the roster, only due to Ford/Moore being hurt.

• The Big Banana

Raider O Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 9:19 am
    TBB,

It’s not a good idea to encourage idiots like MikeG.

——–

Lol, come on O. You don’t tire of the propaganda, favoritism, and Debbie downers in here? Maybe it was a little over the top, but the guy had a point. Many in here have saturated their fiapers and are ready to throw in the towel based on 2 preseason games.

• DennisAllensVisor

raiderfankirk Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 9:19 am
    Murphy looks healthy and good for Carolina. Reg might have f’ed up there.

—-

If Ford & Moore are healthy you dont even remember Murphy’s name.

Cant predict injury.

Although you might be able to in Fords case.

• R8ER MIKE

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 9:21 am
    I did not know you needed to know “jack crap” to be a fan, lol.

*********************
    dont know jack but i went to school with his brother John !!!

• DennisAllensVisor

Chaz Powell has better coverage skills than McCann.

Lets see if he can catch some kickoffs.

• The Big Banana

*has

*diapers

Dam device!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

ODB,

I miss weed bro. I miss my wake and bake sessions. It make me more tolerant towards idiots. lol

• TxRaider210

Marks hair Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 8:12 am
    ————————-
    I’m still LMAO at this post, you got my vote for post of the week!

• Just Fire Baby

DVD is nowhere near the chopping line. At all.

*************************

His reps don’t speak to that.

What if he is getting limited reps in the 4th quarter again?

• TxRaider210

DVD may end up being the surprise cut, he may also take Goodson with him when he leaves.

• Just Fire Baby

Lee is a ST coverage stud. And plays 10x better CB than McCann.

*****************************

So it is a safe bet then, that he Lee will be playing nickle Saturday?

I am not sure, just asking.

I think you will see who is on the bubble and what not, by the playing time reps Saturday.

• http://www.djsulli.com/ Silverandblack666

Raider O be nice to Mike G he is a fellow Raider fan taking a positive outlook to this upcoming season.

Remember you and I used to argue now we are buds maybe Mike G will turn out to be a cool dude like us?

• Just Fire Baby

If DVD is at the bottom of the depth chart playing- wise, and is STILL getting roasted in the 4th quarter, and plays no special teams, WTF are we keeping him for?

Next year??

• The Big Banana

TxRaider210 Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 9:27 am

——–

Wouldn’t surprise me, Tx.

• TxRaider210

JFB

With DVD’s lack of size and tackling ability, I don’t ever see him starting for the Nation.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

TBB,

I was called a troll because I have concerns about Palmers’s INTs and Knapp’s offense and scoring.
    People are starting to walk on eggshells when they have different opinions than the Herd’s.

• hwnrdr

R8ER MIKE Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 9:25 am
    Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 9:21 am
    I did not know you needed to know “jack crap” to be a fan, lol.

*********************
    dont know jack but i went to school with his brother John !!!

You never met Jack? Last name Daniels? i never met his friend “sh!t” after jack left town though!

• DennisAllensVisor

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 9:26 am
    DVD is nowhere near the chopping line. At all.

*************************

His reps don’t speak to that.

What if he is getting limited reps in the 4th quarter again?

—-

Reps?

I guess McFadden better be worried, he got the least amount of reps of the RBs

;)

What if DVD starts the next game? Its pre-seaon, they’re getting good looks at everyone bro. The rotation of the 2nd pre-season game doesnt mean much.

• R8ER MIKE

Raider O Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 9:25 am
    ODB,

**************************
    i am smelling what you are stepping in sir !!
    would probably kill half of the dumb azz people
    i have to deal with here at work without a wake and bake !!

• Just Fire Baby

I guess McFadden better be worried, he got the least amount of reps of the RBs

*****************************

Don’t be stupid, we are talking when they get the reps. Who are they playing with and against.

You telling me they are just poising DVD for some week 1 run against the Chargers, by giving him 20 snaps in the 4th quarter of preseason games?

LMAO!!!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

666,

Be respectful to others and their opinions, and people will treat you with respect.
    Respect has to be earned.
    Calling people idiots, trolls, etc… because they have different opinions is pathetic and disgusting.

• DennisAllensVisor

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 9:33 am
    I guess McFadden better be worried, he got the least amount of reps of the RBs

*****************************

LMAO!!!

—-

LOL..

No. im telling you to stop making assumptions based on the rotation in the 2nd pre-season game.

• hwnrdr

You got a point there, O…but I don’t think he was directing his post at any ONE person in particular!
    I just take people’s post with a grain of salt and move on…got no time to deal with other people’s problems!

• hwnrdr

BTW: has anyone heard from Rockstar lately?

• DennisAllensVisor

Yea let’s cut him. LOL.

• Just Fire Baby

***************************

Well, what should I base my assumptions off than?

Practice tweets?

DAV updated 53 man boards?

Salary and/or draft investment?

I’ll go with the playing time the coach hands out, at least for now.

• The Big Banana

Well, we know you’re not a troll, O. I share your concern about Knapp but we won’t know how it’ll play out exactly until the Monday night opener. One positive is that the O has been moving the ball. Turnovers are a problem, no doubt, but you take the good with the. Ad with Palmer. The INTs will be there. Let’s hope he limits them. He’s still an upgrade over anything we’ve had here in a LONG time.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

666,

• hwnrdr

Hey 666, did you say you were coming to a game in your white Palmer jersey?

• DennisAllensVisor

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 9:37 am

***************************

Well, what should I base my assumptions off than?

Practice tweets?

DAV updated 53 man boards?

Salary and/or draft investment?

I’ll go with the playing time the coach hands out, at least for now.

—-

Fair enough. To each his own.

• The Big Banana

Comparing reps by DVD to DMAC’s? Lol! Gotta love this blog.

• http://www.djsulli.com/ Silverandblack666

“666,

We didn’t argue. I was out of line and called you a cross posting troll, and …..well… You know what you said.”

And I was out of line and used name calling as well and I did apologize I hope we are cool now.

Speaking of which I should apologize to Debo

• http://www.djsulli.com/ Silverandblack666

“Hwnrdr Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 9:40 am
    Hey 666, did you say you were coming to a game in your white Palmer jersey?”

Yes I did, I will probably not be the only ginger with a Palmer jersey on but we should meet for a smoke or a beer. Will you be with “B” in the parking lot pregame?