Coordinators pleased with progress

By Steve Corkran
Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 at 4:23 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The third exhibition game is when teams tend to play their projected starters the longest, meaning we’ll get our best gauge of how the Raiders shape up for the regular-season opener Saturday night.
Offensive coordinator Greg Knapp and defensive coordinator Jason Tarver already have seen enough to have a pretty fair idea about where their players stand. On Wednesday, both sounded as if they are satisfied with the progress made so far in training camp.
“Applying the rules, we’ve been doing pretty well,” Tarver said. “And learning how to work together, we’ve been doing pretty well.”
Knapp seems just as confident in his offensive troops.
“Yeah, I’m pleased,” Knapp said. “It may not show up on the scoreboard right now, we need to improve our scoring production, but there’s been quite a few changeable parts on offense along with learning a new system and I did see, as I told the offense after the second game, good improvement from game one to game two. We’re moving the ball well, we just gotta do a better job of finishing.”
Sure, people want to know why Carson Palmer is forcing passes, why the Raiders aren’t punching in the ball from the 1-yard line and why the Raiders didn’t score at all against the Cowboys?
Calm down, Knapp said, in essence. This is the preseason, when teams work on things and don’t get so caught up in what the opponent is doing.
That will change, to some extent, Saturday, given the Raiders are game-planning somewhat for the Detroit Lions as a means of simulating the flow and preparation during the week of a regular-season game.
“We’re doing this week like it’s a mock in-season week, the way we teach our third-down presentation this morning, red zone, tomorrow short-yardage and goal-line,” Knapp said. “So, there’s a growth going on right now with the players and with the coaches. It’s not only we’re just coaching the players here, we’re coaching coaches because it’s a new staff being worked together and this is really the first time we’ve prepared for a game.
“Everything else has been sunny and sunshine, out here in grass and there’s no win-loss record. But now we’re preparing for a game, and it’s good practice for all of us to go through.”
Tarver said the Lions present a stern challenge for the Raiders defense in that the Lions offense does a nice job of changing the tempo, depending upon what they want to accomplish.
“I’m most interested in our process and how we handle those situations, because we haven’t gotten a lot of that yet,” Tarver said. “That’s what I’m excited about with Detroit for us. Let’s see what we can do. Player-wise, group-wise, I’m excited to watch them all.”

– Raiders coach Dennis Allen said center Stefen Wisniewski likely won’t play against the Lions, in part because of the calf injury Wisniewski suffered against the Dallas Cowboys and in part because it’s only an exhibition game.
“If we were in the regular season, could he push through and play? Probably,” Allen said. “Maybe. I don’t know. We’re not going to take that chance right now in a preseason game.”
Alex Parsons is in line to start at center Saturday. Knapp said the fact Parsons got in so much work with the first-team offense during the offseason workouts, while Wisniewski was recovering from shoulder surgery, and since Wisniewski’s most-recent injury bodes well for his making a seamless transition.

– Backup quarterback Matt Leinart participated in some drills Wednesday, with his right index finger tapes up. Allen said Leinart is healthy enough to play Saturday night. He said it will be a game-time decision.
If Leinart is held out, that means more playing time for Terrelle Pryor. It also means that Pryor would get his first shot at showing what he can do against defenders who actually might make an opening-day roster.

– Defensive tackle Richard Seymour missed practice once again. He has missed all three practices since the Raiders game against the Cardinals on Friday night.
Still, Allen said, his absence has more to do with Seymour’s age than it does with a knee that has bothered him for at least part of camp.
“It’s not an injury,” Allen said. “He’s an older veteran guy and his knees get a little sore, so we try to rest him to make sure we get him ready to play.”
Allen said Seymour “pushed real hard” early in camp, so now it’s time to put on the brakes and think long-term with the regular-season just around the corner.
“Guys can only get out and get so many … they’ve only got so many shots,” Allen said “When a guy gets more age on him, you have to be careful as far as how much you use him. The deal is, we have to get him enough work to get him ready to play but yet have him ready to play so we can have him for a full 16 games this year.”

– Tarver said for second-year cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke to take the next step, he needs to carry over what he does in practice to the games.
“I would really like to see him play like he plays out here, and just play with what we know he can do,” Tarver said. “And he’s heard that from me this week, so that’s what I’d like to see him do. Play like he plays at practice, because he plays pretty good at practice.”
Van Dyke looked sharp early on in camp. However, he struggled in Oakland’s first two exhibition games.
Van Dyke said he is going to follow Tarver’s advice.
“I’ve just got to just go out there and play ball,” Van Dyke said. “I’m doing too much thinking I think, and coach Tarver, he gave me a lot of advice, just telling me to go out there and just play ball. Don’t worry about making mistakes, just play like I was the first two weeks of camp.”

– For those worried about Palmer’s inconsistent play the first two games, Knapp offered up this explanation:
“I’ve encouraged from Day One, my belief for a quarterback to learn a new offense, you got to try some stuff,” Knapp said. “And I’ll sacrifice some of the ups and downs that go with that. It’s like all of our professions, isn’t it? If you make some mistakes, you usually grow from it.
“And that’s what I want him to do in the preseason since the games aren’t held accountable, so to speak. You still want to win, you still want to have that taste of it, but he’s got to test himself. I don’t ever want to train a guy to be conservative from Day One. He won’t know his limits then. It’s very important that quarterbacks who are new to the system, him and Terrelle primarily here, take some chances and get a feel for, ‘OK, what can I do and what can’t I do while it’s preseason?’ ”

– Knapp called running back Darren McFadden’s number on back-to-back down plays near the goal line against the Cardinals. McFadden got stuffed both times. However, that won’t deter Knapp from going back to McFadden in similar situations.
“I’ve always had a belief that the number one back can still be the goal line back, doesn’t have to necessarily be a bigger, stronger guy,” Knapp said. “My experience tells me so. The last couple years, it was Arian Foster had a lot of success. Warrick Dunn was one the best inside tackle runners I’ve ever been around as a coach.
“It’s not just the back that requires the execution of the play. So, it didn’t bother me to have him in there, we just didn’t get it executed across the board.”

• DennisAllensVisor

The Big Banana Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 9:41 am
    Comparing reps by DVD to DMAC’s? Lol! Gotta love this blog.

—-

I guess some people’s sarcasm detectors are faulty.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Hwnrdr,

Excellent. I will try to do that. I’m also grumpy due to lack of THC in my system.

• cfrylopez
  • TxRaider210

The Big Banana Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 9:41 am
    Comparing reps by DVD to DMAC’s? Lol! Gotta love this blog.

——————–
    LOL And sacrificing white women, gotta love it!!

• Just Fire Baby

Fair enough. To each his own.

***********************

I want to know what you are basing your assumptions off.

Not to be an azz and attack, just want to see what others are basing their 53 man roster picks off of.

In the past, salary, 40 time and draft investment is about all you needed to know with Al and the 53.

We are all in for a change now moving forward.

• Deja vu

I’m sure Regg will be looking hard at some players getting cut in the near future, but i think he’ll save most of that cap space.

Now i don’t know if it rolls over to next year (Cap $), but he signed a few 1 year deals. Let’s say Wheeler balls and Bartell puts up some nice tape, he may want to offer these 2 long term contracts towards the end of the season, rather getting into a bidding war in the offseason. Just somethin to chew on

• The Big Banana

I guess so, DAV. Sure looked to me like you were trying to prove a point.

• DennisAllensVisor

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 9:45 am
    Fair enough. To each his own.

***********************

I want to know what you are basing your assumptions off.

We are all in for a change now moving forward.

—-

What i’ve witnessed these players do in person with my own eyes.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

TBB,

I like Palmer, he is the best QB we had since Gannon, but ignoring his issues because of that is a mistake IMHO.
    I wasn’t sold on Knapp from the beginning. The guy was demoted to QB coach the last 2 years for a reason. His offense was ranked in the 20′s the last 4 years of his career as an OC. Also, if you look at his resume, he had 2 good years with 2 HOF WRs in SF, 3 avg years, and 4 years below avg.

• DennisAllensVisor

The Big Banana Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 9:47 am
    I guess so, DAV. Sure looked to me like you were trying to prove a point.

—-

WOW.

• The Big Banana

Who are we sacrificing, Tx? Seahawks cheerleader Karissa? Don’t think she’s a virgin tho…

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

666,

We are cool bro.

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 9:21 am
    I did not know you needed to know “jack crap” to be a fan, lol.

And having spent 4 years as a season ticket holder on Mt. Davis, the football knowledge in here, as vastly greater than it was up there.
    ——
    Booya!

• Just Fire Baby

What i’ve witnessed these players do in person with my own eyes.

****************************

Well, what have we seen Pat Lee do in the S & B?

DVD??? He has looked like fresh doggy-poo for the better part of 6 preseason games now.

• The Big Banana

Yeah, Knapp is a concern, O. Get the same queasy feeling about Knapp that I got about Bres last year. Palmer’s been talking up the O he’s installed though. Hope he’s not just blowing smoke.

No, we can’t ignore the INTs but we don’t have much if an alternative at this point. It’s one thing if we had someone waiting in the wings. Just like Soup last year. Never was a big fan as he’s just mediocre to me, but I got behind him once it was clear he was by far the best option on the roster,

• hwnrdr

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 9:43 am
    “Hwnrdr Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 9:40 am
    Hey 666, did you say you were coming to a game in your white Palmer jersey?”

Yes I did, I will probably not be the only ginger with a Palmer jersey on but we should meet for a smoke or a beer. Will you be with “B” in the parking lot pregame?

He usually finds me. Which game were you going to? Saturday’s or the opener?

• DennisAllensVisor

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 9:51 am
    What i’ve witnessed these players do in person with my own eyes.

****************************

Well, what have we seen Pat Lee do in the S & B?

—-

DVD has had one of the better camps we’ve seen at CB in a while.

It hasnt translated to a game yet.

Sorry if im not ready to cut him.

• hwnrdr

Raider O Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 9:43 am
    Hwnrdr,

I hear ya, withdrawals can be nasty!!!

• Just Fire Baby

Anyone know when the preseason replay will be for this Sat game?

That website jacked up the wifey’s PC last week, not sure I want to do that again.

I had to remove and re-add the wireless thingy, I got the no connectivity error the next morning and couldn’t “repair” it. Not a tech guy though.

Huff should be #4 CB.

What is THC?

Oh, the weed!

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

TX, are you getting ready for Civil War if president gets reelected?

• R8ER MIKE

hwnrdr Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 9:55 am
    Raider O Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 9:43 am
    Hwnrdr,

I hear ya, withdrawals can be nasty!!!

******************************
    but inhales of the sweet sticky stuff are soooo good !!

• http://www.djsulli.com/ Silverandblack666

“He usually finds me. Which game were you going to? Saturday’s or the opener?”

Both I plan on meeting up with B at either game.

• TxRaider210

The Big Banana Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 9:49 am

—————————
    It’s all good bruh, we’ll just splash her with holy water!!

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

Klas gets high on Hot Cheetos and Takis.

• hwnrdr

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 10:02 am
    “He usually finds me. Which game were you going to? Saturday’s or the opener?”

Both I plan on meeting up with B at either game.

• TxRaider210

Klas Tjorborn Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 10:01 am
    TX, are you getting ready for Civil War if president gets reelected?

———————–
    Klas

Being a redneck, I’m ready for war all of the time. Don’t really care who wins the election, this country is in the schitter anyhow.imo

• The Big Banana

Being a redneck, I’m ready for war all of the time.

—–

Lol @ Tx

• DutchRaider77

517.DennisAllensVisor Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 9:54 am
    Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 9:51 am
    What i’ve witnessed these players do in person with my own eyes.

****************************

Well, what have we seen Pat Lee do in the S & B?

—-

DVD has had one of the better camps we’ve seen at CB in a while.

It hasnt translated to a game yet.

Sorry if im not ready to cut him.

___________________________________________

Agree, don’t cut DVD…but remember a few years ago Denard Walker (Former Vike) having a really good camp?

• R8ER MIKE

lol Tx.. glad to know i am not the only redneck here !!

• TxRaider210

The Big Banana Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 10:10 am
    Being a redneck, I’m ready for war all of the time.

—–

Lol @ Tx

———

LOL I’d consider myself more country than redneck I guess, there are much more hill-billy folks than me in this state.

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

Klas wan’t to create his own sovereign nation on his farm. Legal growing of weed would be #1 in Bill of Rights.

• TxRaider210

R8ER MIKE Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 10:14 am
    lol Tx.. glad to know i am not the only redneck here !!

——————-
    lol High five for Raiders, Bass fishin’, guns, beer and of course, the stankonia!!

I’m a Swedish Redneck.

• http://www.djsulli.com/ Silverandblack666

“I’ll be there for both! Do you have B’s info? What I usually do when I get into the lot is send a text out to B and others, lke Dirt Lot, DMAC, etc to tell them what row I’m in. Within an hour, they find me…”

Cool I do have B contact info I shall see you soon.

• TxRaider210

Klas Tjorborn Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 10:19 am
    I’m a Swedish Redneck.

———————-
    LOL That would explain all of the Wolverine and Reindeer hunting..

• hwnrdr

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 10:19 am

Cool I do have B contact info I shall see you soon.

Cool

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

Cornerbacks:

Bartell and Spencer are starting.

Chekwa and Lee seem to be solidly behind them.

McCann has value as a returner.

Unless they plan on keeping 6 CBs, DVD could be the victim of a numbers game. He’d better start balling, and FAST.

TxRaider210 Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 10:20 am
    Klas Tjorborn Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 10:19 am
    I’m a Swedish Redneck.

———————-
    LOL That would explain all of the Wolverine and Reindeer hunting..
    ——-
    Klas likes to go bow hunting.

• DennisAllensVisor

So is Criner on the bubble too?

Him & DVD are both young, on rookie contracts, had great camps, at a position of need, have struggled in actual games.

• TxRaider210

Klas Tjorborn Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 10:23 am
    TxRaider210 Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 10:20 am
    Klas Tjorborn Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 10:19 am
    I’m a Swedish Redneck.

———————-
    LOL That would explain all of the Wolverine and Reindeer hunting..
    ——-
    Klas likes to go bow hunting.

———————–

Sounds fun Klas, I do lots of bass fishing on the US/Mexico border in Del Rio. However, if I lived in Sweden, I would have to do some bow-hunting.

• TxRaider210

DAV

Problem is that DVD isn’t a rookie and Reg may not want to wait on him.imo

• DennisAllensVisor

TxRaider210 Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 10:26 am
    DAV

Problem is that DVD isn’t a rookie and Reg may not want to wait on him.imo

—-

DVD is a 2nd year 3rd rd pick.

Your trying to tell me because he has 1 year, in which he barely played, under his belt that means something?

This isnt adding up to sound logic IMO.

• TxRaider210

————————

Klas, you can bow-hunt for these creatures in Texas.

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

I want to go Gator hunting!

• TxRaider210

DennisAllensVisor Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 10:28 am
    TxRaider210 Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 10:26 am
    DAV

Problem is that DVD isn’t a rookie and Reg may not want to wait on him.imo

—-

DVD is a 2nd year 3rd rd pick.

This isnt adding up to sound logic IMO.

————-
    The only point there was that Criner won’t go, he’s a True rookie. I hope DVD pans out, he still has much to prove.