Pryor says he can be ‘great,’ ‘dangerous’

By Steve Corkran
Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 at 10:38 am in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders selected quarterback Terrelle Pryor in the third round of the NFL supplemental draft one year ago today. During that year, he has spent his time playing catch up after missing most of training camp last season and being suspended the first five regular-season games for violations committed at Ohio State.
Today, Pryor spends most of his time at the hip of veteran Carson Palmer, soaking up knowledge, learning the nuances of the position and waiting his turn.
“The suspension really screwed me,” Pryor said. “The way I came out of college and my mistakes screwed me. But right now, I’m in a good place because I’m learning from the best and I’m only going to get better, a lot better. If I can just keep on figuring out this progression thing and having my internal clock running with my feet, I can be good. I can be great.”
Pryor practiced with the Raiders for about a week last season and didn’t play in any exhibition games as a result of his late arrival.
Yet, he has dedicated himself to showing that he can play quarterback at a high level in the NFL. It’s not uncommon to see Pryor sticking around after practice to work with Palmer, and he’s never far from Palmer or Matt Leinart off the field, either.
It’s all part of Pryor’s plan to learn as much as he can from two veterans so that he is as ready as possible for when the time comes when his number is called.
For now, Pryor is honing skills and making the most of his limited reps at practice. He is projected as the third-string quarterback.
Coach Dennis Allen and offensive coordinator Greg Knapp rave about Pryor’s work ethic, demeanor and skill set. It’s the footwork, accuracy and consistency that Pryor needs to improve upon.
To that end, Pryor said, he is working double time trying to get to the point where his footwork comes naturally, giving him one less thing to worry about as he takes the snap.
“It’s a footwork thing and it’s a maturity thing,” quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo said. “He hasn’t been in this league, so it’s kind of unfair to compare him to Matt and Carson because he hasn’t played as much football or seen as many looks. But the more consistent he gets with his footwork, no doubt the more accurate he’s going to be.”
At 6-foot-4 and 235 pounds, Pryor cuts an imposing figure at quarterback. Throw in speed uncommon at his position, and you have a dual-threat at your disposal.
Even so, Pryor said, it’s imperative that he rely less upon his running ability and concentrate on his strong arm, as well as the players around him each play.
“When you’re fast and you know you can move and run, you want to believe in your athleticism, and you don’t have to,” Pryor said. “You have guys up front that are taking care of it, you have running backs who are helping your backside. So my mindset has to be just believe and stay in there and just keep going with the footwork and progression. I’m going to get there.”
DeFilippo said Pryor is making progress in all areas.
“What we’re trying to do with Terrelle is get him better every day in terms of huddle procedure, at the line of scrimmage, and he’s done that,” DeFilippo said. “He’s improved every day and that’s what we keep preaching with him, improving every day. Obviously, you saw in the four-minute (the other day); he took off and ran for about a 40-yard gain. That’s always going to be an attribute for him is he’s going to have the ability to take off and run with it.”
Pryor’s final pass in his first exhibition game this season, against the Dallas Cowboys, didn’t sit too well with him afterward. He said he cost his team the game and talked about the need to play better.
That’s where Allen and Knapp enter the picture. They like their quarterbacks to be accountable, stand-up players, but only to a certain extent.
“That’s what our job as coaches is to kind of keep that balance for him,” Allen said. “He’s a competitor just like all the rest of us, and he’s always been used to being the best. So he’s always been very critical of himself and that’s the only way that you get better is you look at it honestly and you see where you made your mistakes and you try and get better and you correct them. And that’s our job as coaches, to help him.”
Pryor marvels at the ease with which Palmer moves his feet, goes through his progressions and throws to the proper receiver so often.
He has no illusions about challenging Palmer for the starting job. At the same time, he feels that watching and learning from Palmer is preparing him for great things in the years to come.
“Do I think I’m Carson? No,” Pryor said. “I want to be that quarterback that can run, too, and be like Carson with his feet. His feet are great. That’s what 10 years, 11 years, does for you. If I can get that down from working with him, I can be dangerous.”
In turn, Palmer speaks highly of Pryor, citing his athletic skills, work ethic and mind-set.
“We have a really good (quarterback) room, especially with Terrelle in there, another young guy just chomping at the bit for his shot,” Palmer said. “There’s a lot of competition, but it’s a good friendly competition because we’re helping each other along the way.”
Pryor remains resolute in his belief that he has what it takes to play quarterback in the NFL. He dismisses notions of his being a tight end-in waiting or converting to any other position.
In the interim, he is open to being used in whatever capacity this season, while he waits his shot at being the full-time quarterback.
“I wouldn’t mind packages and stuff like that,” Pryor said. “I wouldn’t mind because I’m not going to play right now in front of Carson because he’s a great quarterback. If he wasn’t great, I would have been truthful with you guys. I’m an honest person, I’m a straight person, and he’s a great quarterback. I’m not going to play over him right now. So, anything I can do to help the team, I would love to.”

• Just Win Baby

I love to watch you guys get all foamy over some guy who hasn’t accomplished anything in the NFL. Put some pants on, go outside, and take a walk in the real world.

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

Nobody hates TP. Just worried that it was a wasted pick. What if Palmer and Matty Ice go down? We be the screwed big time.

• raidertalk

Klas Tjorborn Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:27 am
    Raidertalk Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:16 am
    I hope we can re-create what Farve and Rogers did in GreenBay. Let the veteran run the show for a while and have our draft pick “redshirt,” ride the pine and learn the ropes from the Vet. When Rogers got his start he was able to hit the ground running.
    ——
    Are you comparing Pryor to Favre and Rogers?
    —————————————————
    Naw, I didn’t say they were exactly the same, I said I hope that it works out in a similar way with a proven vet and rook sitting the pine learning fron that vet.

I just don’t like it when there is a good vet QB that has to be benched/traded to let the rookie take-over. I think ALOT of the younger QBs could have benefited from that.

Besides, I said HOPE not = to. Count me as a non-Pryor hater

• eastoaklandraider

CJ Legend 34 Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:26 am

40.eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:19 am
    TP and DMC in the backfield together with Dmoore Ford and DHB out wide man how do you def that.

———————————–
    Easy contain the QB that can’t throw and play the run.
    DBs take the deep stuff away double Moore.
    ____________________

If you double Moore and and the Dbs are playing deep that means DMC runs wild. Try again?

• DutchRaider77

Could it be TP not setting his feet before he throws? It did seem like most of his throws he was scrambling around and could have an impact on those ugly throws? Have to admit, I did not watch any of his play at Ohio State, so many of the semi’s on here could have a better assesment.

• raidertalk

Klas Tjorborn Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:34 am
    —————————————————
    Most teams would be screwed if both their first two QBs go down. But we have the room to let this kid grow, so why not?

• eastoaklandraider

Just Win Baby Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:33 am

_________________

Bet you said the same thing about Cam Newton. How’s that working for ya.

• eastoaklandraider

DutchRaider77 Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:40 am

______________

From what I hear he has been running for his life hasn’t had much of chance to set his feet. Would have to see him with the 1s to really gauge what he can do.

• CJ Legend 34

48.raidertalk Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:29 am
    I don’t understand all of the TP hate. The dude is our 3rd stringer, he’s not expected to even play unless two other QBs go down. People expect Jim figgen Plunkett to be our 3rd sting QB!

Part of it has got to be the lingering DuhMarcus effect. People see a talented but unorthodox draft pick “reach” by the org, and worry about him holding back the team.

But TP does NOT= JaMarcus. Take a deep breath and realize that there is only a very thin chance that he will see any time starting. Even on the very very slight chance that he does have to take the field as starter (aside from wild cat packages), at least we know he can run ocasionally for the 1st down. JaMarcus could not even do that…

————————————————–
    Who said TP = Russel? Not even close. He has better work ethic, speed, chrisma, maybe even decision making skills. But one thing he does not have better than Russel is an arm. He does not have alot on his ball. To much wobble not enough velocity, which equals accuracy.

I have love for Pryor but certain tendencys are holding him back and one is his inaccuracy. I saw him play every game at OSU. A number of the games I saw were live. He loves to threow down the middle of the field. He had WRs who loved to just go up and get the ball when he chucked it up. Could not throw a sideline pass. That is a caution for the NFL game. It is hard to trhow down the middle of the field in the pros and that is what he was use too. That is all I am saying.

Hey man

• CJ Legend 34

57.eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:43 am
    Just Win Baby Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:33 am

_________________

Bet you said the same thing about Cam Newton. How’s that working for ya.

——————
    Dude Cam Newton was the man his first year!!! Why do you keep comparing TP to players he is not?

• CJ Legend 34

54.eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:38 am
    CJ Legend 34 Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:26 am

40.eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:19 am

———————————–
    Easy contain the QB that can’t throw and play the run.
    DBs take the deep stuff away double Moore.
    ____________________

————————–
    No No read again. You play run first.

• THE BLACKHOLE

How the hell is Pryor 6’4″ when he is as tall if not taller than the 6’5″ Palmer? Leinart looks shorter than them two and is even listed as 6’5″ according to NFL website.

• MikieG

burn_209 Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:04 am

Has anyone here actually had a hamstring issue? I can’t believe that it would keep moor out for all of training camp. It can’t be that bad
    +++++++++++++++++

Yes dude, I have, completely ruptured it running in for a TD…very strange feeling. Didn’t even hurt all that bad, just felt like a charlie horse..about a week later my friend asked me “Whats all that dirt on the back of your leg” and I looked in the mirror at a bruise from the bottom of my @ss to the middle of my knee…
    I couldn’t sprint for 6 months full speed, every time I tried I thought it was going to pop. I did 68 miles in 6 days on the Appalachian Trail with it like that, I got back tried to sprint..Nope..had to wait another 2 months..
    It can be brutal.

• Just Win Baby

eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:43 am
    Just Win Baby Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:33 am

_________________

Bet you said the same thing about Cam Newton. How’s that working for ya.

———————-
    Since I never said anything about Cam Newton, I think it’s working really well for me. It doesn’t seem to be working too well for you though.

• raider till i die

Hey this guy is putting in the work in couple of years of that has to make this guy improve I hope a few years from now the light balb just goes on for terrell and we got ourselves a quarter back

• Just Win Baby

I hope so too. Let’s not enshrine him into the hall of fame just yet. He’s done nothing so far.

• ddsman

Two words: Cut Him!

• Carl Weathers

CJ Legend 34 Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:09 am
    25.Carl Weathers Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:06 am
    Clinton portis is having a news conference announcing his retirement. Why? Isn’t it usually future hall of famers or long time players with one team that do that? Who cares about portis?

—————————————–
    Right! I guess his Mom will be there and a microphone.

@@@@@@@@@@@

Did the presser already play and you heard that ish or you called it bang on!

• WenzhouRaider

I’ve always said I’d take Pryor over Nick Foles (3rd), Brock Osweiler (2nd), Tannehill, or Cousins (4th). Maybe Russell Wilson (3rd).

He’ll fit in perfectly in a few years when Palmer is on the outs.

The Aaron Rodgers route!