Pryor says he can be ‘great,’ ‘dangerous’

The Raiders selected quarterback Terrelle Pryor in the third round of the NFL supplemental draft one year ago today. During that year, he has spent his time playing catch up after missing most of training camp last season and being suspended the first five regular-season games for violations committed at Ohio State.
Today, Pryor spends most of his time at the hip of veteran Carson Palmer, soaking up knowledge, learning the nuances of the position and waiting his turn.
“The suspension really screwed me,” Pryor said. “The way I came out of college and my mistakes screwed me. But right now, I’m in a good place because I’m learning from the best and I’m only going to get better, a lot better. If I can just keep on figuring out this progression thing and having my internal clock running with my feet, I can be good. I can be great.”
Pryor practiced with the Raiders for about a week last season and didn’t play in any exhibition games as a result of his late arrival.
Yet, he has dedicated himself to showing that he can play quarterback at a high level in the NFL. It’s not uncommon to see Pryor sticking around after practice to work with Palmer, and he’s never far from Palmer or Matt Leinart off the field, either.
It’s all part of Pryor’s plan to learn as much as he can from two veterans so that he is as ready as possible for when the time comes when his number is called.
For now, Pryor is honing skills and making the most of his limited reps at practice. He is projected as the third-string quarterback.
Coach Dennis Allen and offensive coordinator Greg Knapp rave about Pryor’s work ethic, demeanor and skill set. It’s the footwork, accuracy and consistency that Pryor needs to improve upon.
To that end, Pryor said, he is working double time trying to get to the point where his footwork comes naturally, giving him one less thing to worry about as he takes the snap.
“It’s a footwork thing and it’s a maturity thing,” quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo said. “He hasn’t been in this league, so it’s kind of unfair to compare him to Matt and Carson because he hasn’t played as much football or seen as many looks. But the more consistent he gets with his footwork, no doubt the more accurate he’s going to be.”
At 6-foot-4 and 235 pounds, Pryor cuts an imposing figure at quarterback. Throw in speed uncommon at his position, and you have a dual-threat at your disposal.
Even so, Pryor said, it’s imperative that he rely less upon his running ability and concentrate on his strong arm, as well as the players around him each play.
“When you’re fast and you know you can move and run, you want to believe in your athleticism, and you don’t have to,” Pryor said. “You have guys up front that are taking care of it, you have running backs who are helping your backside. So my mindset has to be just believe and stay in there and just keep going with the footwork and progression. I’m going to get there.”
DeFilippo said Pryor is making progress in all areas.
“What we’re trying to do with Terrelle is get him better every day in terms of huddle procedure, at the line of scrimmage, and he’s done that,” DeFilippo said. “He’s improved every day and that’s what we keep preaching with him, improving every day. Obviously, you saw in the four-minute (the other day); he took off and ran for about a 40-yard gain. That’s always going to be an attribute for him is he’s going to have the ability to take off and run with it.”
Pryor’s final pass in his first exhibition game this season, against the Dallas Cowboys, didn’t sit too well with him afterward. He said he cost his team the game and talked about the need to play better.
That’s where Allen and Knapp enter the picture. They like their quarterbacks to be accountable, stand-up players, but only to a certain extent.
“That’s what our job as coaches is to kind of keep that balance for him,” Allen said. “He’s a competitor just like all the rest of us, and he’s always been used to being the best. So he’s always been very critical of himself and that’s the only way that you get better is you look at it honestly and you see where you made your mistakes and you try and get better and you correct them. And that’s our job as coaches, to help him.”
Pryor marvels at the ease with which Palmer moves his feet, goes through his progressions and throws to the proper receiver so often.
He has no illusions about challenging Palmer for the starting job. At the same time, he feels that watching and learning from Palmer is preparing him for great things in the years to come.
“Do I think I’m Carson? No,” Pryor said. “I want to be that quarterback that can run, too, and be like Carson with his feet. His feet are great. That’s what 10 years, 11 years, does for you. If I can get that down from working with him, I can be dangerous.”
In turn, Palmer speaks highly of Pryor, citing his athletic skills, work ethic and mind-set.
“We have a really good (quarterback) room, especially with Terrelle in there, another young guy just chomping at the bit for his shot,” Palmer said. “There’s a lot of competition, but it’s a good friendly competition because we’re helping each other along the way.”
Pryor remains resolute in his belief that he has what it takes to play quarterback in the NFL. He dismisses notions of his being a tight end-in waiting or converting to any other position.
In the interim, he is open to being used in whatever capacity this season, while he waits his shot at being the full-time quarterback.
“I wouldn’t mind packages and stuff like that,” Pryor said. “I wouldn’t mind because I’m not going to play right now in front of Carson because he’s a great quarterback. If he wasn’t great, I would have been truthful with you guys. I’m an honest person, I’m a straight person, and he’s a great quarterback. I’m not going to play over him right now. So, anything I can do to help the team, I would love to.”

Steve Corkran

• DennisAllensVisor

• burn_209

Burn_209 Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 10:40 am
    DennisAllensVisor Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 10:35 am
    I can totally see Chaz Schillens coming back after he is cut by the Jets.

But he is battling injury once again.

————–

God I hate that guy. How do you break your foot simply running a route. People were on that guys nuts hard too

• hwnrdr

Oh Oh!!!

• TxRaider210

Palmer is the Best!! case closed.lol

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

TP!!!!

LOL at evolving redneck.

• DennisAllensVisor

burn_209 Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 10:42 am
    Burn_209 Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 10:40 am
    DennisAllensVisor Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 10:35 am
    I can totally see Chaz Schillens coming back after he is cut by the Jets.

But he is battling injury once again.

————–

—-

People tend to be excited about 6’4″ WRs who have blazing speed and great hands.

• burn_209

Except he wasn’t as great as everyone thought

• DennisAllensVisor

burn_209 Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 10:47 am
    Except he wasn’t as great as everyone thought

—-

Injuries and bad QB play will do that.

• burn_209

Well if he is as great as everyone said then look for him to make some noise this year

• The Big Banana

Big fan of Pryor’s attitude. Hope the kid succeeds. Just looks like he has a long way to go.

• DennisAllensVisor

burn_209 Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 10:50 am

—-

Uhh.. He’s dinged up. And Mark Sanchez is his QB.

Groundhogs day.

• http://www.djsulli.com/ Silverandblack666

That’s great that he is spending so much time with Palmer and in the QB’s room etc.

Seriously if he wants to be an NFL QB the first thing he needs to work on is throwing the ball!

Instead of following Palmer around he needs to hang a bunch of tires in his back yard and try throwing the ball through them a 100 times a day because that is the kind of work he needs, not film room, or following Palmer around!

• DennisAllensVisor

The Big Banana Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 10:51 am

—-

I think him & Tebow can succeed in this league.

But not until someone designs an offense around their strengths.

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

TP needs to train with Tebow in the off season.

• Carl Weathers

Sit and learn TP, learn from Palmer a QB that will trump Rivers, Manning & Cassel this year.

• TxRaider210

Raider O Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 10:46 am
    TP!!!!

LOL at evolving redneck.

—————–
    LOL I had to get with the times and exit my cave, sooner or later:)

• eastoaklandraider

As long as TP keeps progressing the way the coaches say he is he should be ready by not next year but the year after. The guy wants to be great that’s alone gives him a shot to be great. But the haters will hate TP just use it to drive you and they will be on your nuts soon.

• TxRaider210

Klas

If TP were to also train with our WR corp, imagine the red-zone threat. I mentioned last night, I’d put TP, Reece and Barnes in as eligible WR’s on the goal line.

• http://InsidetheOaklandRaiders Goldie7

SUPERB Article Mr. Cork! I Thank you a Million times! Hey TP hang in there…I am pulling and believing in you 100%. Don’t give up…be patient continue working hard, continue taking in all knowledge of becoming an elite QB and your Prize day will come. I am cheering for You…TP6! Cork for President! Thank you! Boy…I’m hyped…even if we suck Sat. against the Lions. lol

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

DennisAllensVisor Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 10:24 am
    So is Criner on the bubble too?

Him & DVD are both young, on rookie contracts, had great camps, at a position of need, have struggled in actual games.

============================================

Two big differences:

1) Criner’s currently no worse than the #5 wideout. Since we’re keeping at least 5, he’s good. DVD may be running #6 at cornerback, and we don’t know if 6 will be kept.

2) Cutting young draft picks is always embarrassing, which is why a high draft pick from within the last three years or so will win out every time over a UDFA for that final roster spot. BUT a new regime is not tied to the previous regime’s draft picks. Reggie could cut DVD, say “It was Al’s pick” and receive zero blowback. This is why you always see teams with surprising cuts right after a new coach/GM combo hits town.

• burn_209

Has anyone here actually had a hamstring issue? I can’t believe that it would keep moor out for all of training camp. It can’t be that bad

• morilla

A football player says they want to be great? Well golly, you don’t say!!!!!

• burn_209

Lol at DVD being the 6th best CB

• TxRaider210

RaiderDuck Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:04 am
    DennisAllensVisor Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 10:24 am
    So is Criner on the bubble too?

============================================

Two big differences:

—————–
    Correct sir, and what if DVD is absolutely a guy that Reg would not draft if he was there….

• Carl Weathers

Clinton portis is having a news conference announcing his retirement. Why? Isn’t it usually future hall of famers or long time players with one team that do that? Who cares about portis?

• CJ Legend 34

14.Klas Tjorborn Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 10:56 am
    TP needs to train with Tebow in the off season.

———————————————
    LMBO!!!!!! 100X’s and do it again!!!!

• CJ Legend 34

25.Carl Weathers Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:06 am

—————————————–
    Right! I guess his Mom will be there and a microphone.

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

Burn_209 Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:05 am
    Lol at DVD being the 6th best CB

======================================

Before the preseason games, I would have agreed with you. But he’s been terrible in both games. Dallas and AZ’s third-string guys were lighting him up like Christmas.

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

Rod Streater “The World Beater” will be rookie of the year. Stone Cold Klas Guarantee Lock of the Week!

• eastoaklandraider

I know it won’t happen but I would like to see TP run with the first string behind a line that can protect him better just to see what he could do then.

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

Streater: 75 catches for 1,100 yards and 6 TDs

• TxRaider210

RaiderDuck Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:10 am
    Burn_209 Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:05 am
    Lol at DVD being the 6th best CB

======================================

——————
    Yep

• burn_209

———————–

He is always right there in coverage. If he can learn how to play the ball he will be a stud. He is one of those project players. If we all can have patience with Pryor to develop why can’t WR have it with DVD.

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

Burn_209 Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:04 am

==========================================

The problem with hamstrings is they can feel fine but not be fully healed yet, and thus susceptible to reinjury. The conventional wisdom with a bad hammy is to wait until it feels 100% normal, THEN wait another 1-3 weeks afterwards. Anything sooner is asking for a re-pull, which would put him out until the bye week.

• CJ Legend 34

Don’t want to sound negative but I just want to be honest here. TP has about a 20% chance making it as a QB in this league. Nothing about his game says he can throw the football.

He is a one trick pony like Tebow.

He may want to go back and look at how Kordell Stewart “Slash” was used in Pittsburgh and go from there. But the only thing is Slash could throw a better ball than TP.

This kid can’t throw!

• The Big Banana

Morilla Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:05 am
    A football player says they want to be great? Well golly, you don’t say!!!!!

——

Hey, that’s not a given. See JaWalrus. He considered himself a made man.

• TxRaider210

Klas Tjorborn Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:10 am

——————
    Nice nickname Klas, and yes he could very well get the award, if healthy all season.

• raidertalk

I hope we can re-create what Farve and Rogers did in GreenBay. Let the veteran run the show for a while and have our draft pick “redshirt,” ride the pine and learn the ropes from the Vet. When Rogers got his start he was able to hit the ground running.

• CJ Legend 34

DVD did not even start in college. There must have been a reason.

Yep!!!! He could not track the ball in the air. Good speed, goood hips, weak vision and ball hawk skills. All the great DBs have it. He does not!

I give him one more year. I think they cut him next year. Maybe the can use him as a Nickelback but he can’t tackle that well. Man….Come on get it together DVD!

• eastoaklandraider

TP and DMC in the backfield together with Dmoore Ford and DHB out wide man how do you def that.

• burn_209

I meant TP not WR. autocorrect got me

• TxRaider210

CJ Legend 34 Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:18 am
    DVD did not even start in college. There must have been a reason.

—————
    Truth, at least learn the fundamentals of tackling that he’s been taught since child-hood.geez

• CJ Legend 34

38.raidertalk Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:16 am

—————————————————-
    LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are comparing Palmer to Farve????? And Pryor to Aaron Rodgers. AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, dude, come on man!!!! Really?

Take it back, take it back!!!!! Re-create???? What????

No knock on Pryor but he ain’t no Farve or Rodgers!!!

No big deal that cold silver and black has made me overly optimistic and almost delusional as well. : )

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:19 am

==========================================

Easy. 11 hats on 20. Make Pryor beat you. He won’t.

• CJ Legend 34

40.eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:19 am

———————————–
    Easy contain the QB that can’t throw and play the run.
    DBs take the deep stuff away double Moore.

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

Raidertalk Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:16 am
    ——
    Are you comparing Pryor to Favre and Rogers?

• CJ Legend 34

42.TxRaider210 Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:22 am
    CJ Legend 34 Says:
    August 23rd, 2012 at 11:18 am
    DVD did not even start in college. There must have been a reason.

—————
    —————
    Right! He needs some work man.

• raidertalk

I don’t understand all of the TP hate. The dude is our 3rd stringer, he’s not expected to even play unless two other QBs go down. People expect Jim figgen Plunkett to be our 3rd sting QB!

Part of it has got to be the lingering DuhMarcus effect. People see a talented but unorthodox draft pick “reach” by the org, and worry about him holding back the team.

But TP does NOT= JaMarcus. Take a deep breath and realize that there is only a very thin chance that he will see any time starting. Even on the very very slight chance that he does have to take the field as starter (aside from wild cat packages), at least we know he can run ocasionally for the 1st down. JaMarcus could not even do that…

• eastoaklandraider

==========================================

Easy. 11 hats on 20. Make Pryor beat you. He won’t.
    ____________________

So Bush you sayn leave the wr one on one on an island with dbs. I believe tp can hit his man in that situation and remember he can take off an run.

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

I want to see Caballero play this week. I have a suspicion he would be better than Pryor.