Wiz out for final game, Moore ‘closer’ to returning

Raiders coach Dennis Allen said Sunday afternoon that he is inclined to play anyone that is healthy in his team’s exhibition finale against the Seattle Seahawks, a break from the norm in the NFL, when teams typically rest their projected starters.
Even so, you won’t see starting center Stefen Wisniewski play against the Seattle Seahawks on Thursday night. Allen said as much Sunday.
It’s possible that wide receiver Denarius Moore’s hamstring injury will be healthy enough for him to play in that game. If not, Allen said he is confident that Moore will be ready to play in the regular-season opener Sept. 10.
Those are just a few of the nuggets gleaned from a 15-plus minute conference call with coach Allen on Sunday. Here’s a sampling of Allen’s thoughts on his players and their progress:

– Kicker Sebastian Janikowski’s groin injury isn’t “a big deal,” Allen said. That’s the hope, at least.
Allen said Janikowski suffered “basically a sore groin” while attempting to run down Justin Miller on a kick return Saturday. Heck, there’s even a chance of Janikowski playing against the Seahawks.
The smart money says, Allen holds out Janikowski, lets Eddy Carmona handle the kicking duties and gives Janikowski as much time as possible to heal in time for the opener.

– Wide receiver Jacoby Ford (left foot) now is able to walk around pain-free without the protective boot that he has sported since he got injured against the Cardinals.
“So, we’re making some progress there,” Allen said.
Ford still is using the boot from time to time, though. It’s doubtful that Ford will heal in time for the Seahawks game. The bigger question is, will he be recovered in time for the regular-season opener.

– Allen said defensive tackle Richard Seymour has what amounts to arthritis in one of his knees, which makes it imperative that the Raiders take it easy on their defensive leader.
“it’s more of a maintenance deal with Richard,” Allen said. “He’s got some arthritis, basically, in his knee. So, he gets a little pain, a little swelling, we got to be able to manage that.”
Seymour has missed every practice since he played against the Arizona Cardinals on Aug. 17. He also sat out the Lions game.
Seymour didn’t seem too concerned about the situation when asked about it Thursday. These veterans have a way of knowing when to crank it up. This is not the time.

– Already, names of players being cut by the Raiders in advance of the first mandatory cutdown are surfing on Twitter.
Safety Aaron Henry Tweeted that he has been informed of his release. Fellow safety Chaz Powell also was released, according to league insider Aaron Wilson.
The Raiders, as well as other teams, are required to be at no more than 75 players by Monday afternoon. I am told that the Raiders expect to issue a press release with the first round of player cuts later this afternoon.

– Cornerbacks DeMarcus Van Dyke and Chimdi Chekwa shouldn’t feel too secure about making the 53-man roster this season. Certainly not on the heels of Allen’s most-recent assessment about their play Saturday night.
“They were young corners,” Allen said in repsonse to what he saw. “We got to continue to work to get better with those guys. They do some good things and then all of a sudden you look up and say, ‘Why did they do that?’ I’m not totally down on them, but we got to get better there. We got to keep improving.”
Van Dyke and Chekwa were being groomed as the heir apparents to Stanford Routt and Chris Johnson last season. Now, they are being pushed by Allen just to show marked improvement.

– Once again, Allen kept in check his praise of second-year quarterback Terrelle Pryor, instead leaving it to fans and others to gush without taking into account the big picture.
Then again, that’s standard practice for a savvy coach that is hesitant to build up a player too soon for fear of that player feeling as if he has arrived.
“He did good,” Allen said after watching tape of the game and getting a better feel for Pryor’s play against the Lions. “Obviously, he had his good plays and he had his bad plays, but the thing that I was impressed with and the thing that I took out of the game is there was progress. There was progress on his part.”
Allen raved about Pryor’s improvement in calling out the plays in a prompt manner, controlling the huddle and the way he executed plays.

– Of the four pre-snap penalties committed by the Raiders in the first quarter Saturday, don’t blame the refs, Allen said.
“Every single one of them was a legitimate call,” Allen said. “Every single one of them was inexcusable on our part, and we can’t have those. We can’t have the pre-snap penalties, especially the two where we lined up offsides on defense. We can’t do that. That’s a lack of focus, that’s a lack of discipline. Those issues will be addressed and, as players, we’ve got to get it corrected.”

– Worried about the Raiders special teams play so far? Well, so is Allen. With that said, Allen doesn’t sound as concerned as many others.
“It’s obviously a concern,” Allen said. “We’ve got to be better in that area. Part of it is the fact that we’ve had a lot of different people playing a lot of different positions in the return game. We’ve had different returners back there returning. We haven’t had a lot of continuity as far as who those guys have been but, at the same time, we’ve got to execute better.
“A lot of times it’s one or two guys that keep you from having a good play, and you’re tackled inside your 15-yard line as opposed to, if you get your one block, maybe it’s a big return or if the returner reads it right maybe it’s a big return. We’re closer than what the stats say, but we’ve got to be better in that regard.”
Punter Shane Lechler said last week that special teams is something that takes time to work out for the very reasons Allen pointed out.
“Special teams is tough during the preseason,” Lechler said. “You’re sitting in a room with a whole bunch of guys that aren’t going to be there. It’s a grind. It’s just part of the process.”
In other words, give it time, folks, before calling for radical changes and coaching moves.

Steve Corkran

• Raider Riff

Klas Tjorborn Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 6:50 am
    NFL fans got nothing on European soccer fans for bad behavior.

——–

I got chased by hooligans one time in London. Lead pipes, chains, crow bars… it was crazy. They didnt think a white boy could run that fast.

• hwnrdr

JFB, someone up there was watching over you! Glad your ok!

• RAIDERMAN99

JFB, I’m glad you’re OK.

Damn lucky if you were doing 80.

Was just skimming through your post and I saw the cheating part.

Figured you were getting a blowie and drove off the road.

Would have been a better story than the diabetes.

• TxRaider210

Klas Tjorborn Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 6:51 am
    Raider Riff Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 6:49 am
    I liked what I saw of Kellen Moore.
    —-
    Moore looks good but needs to get taller.

——————–
    Unless he’s a really late bloomer, I doubt if he hits another growing spurt.lol

• guest123

I have a lot of respect for the military. They go over to some unGodly places and eat dirt for months at a time to protect our way of life. I’d give them some latitude when it comes to the Nat’l Anthem. I think they deserve that much.

• Raider Riff

Guest123 Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 6:50 am
    I won’t attempt to fight you in front of my kids for cussing, but will be annoyed to the point that I will consider leaving the venue if I can’t find a reasonable group of fans to sit around. See to me, the use of profanity is the sign of a limited mind. It speaks for what you don’t know and can’t comprehend. It does more talking for you than you can possibly understand. My children feel sorry for you more than anything if you are a cusser. I tell them to look at the pottymouth loudmouth’s kids for evidence of what that kind of role model will have on their kids. They understand what I mean.

————–

And that is the proper & dignified way to handle that situation.

If you dont like someones language, leave.

I respect you for that 123. It’s too bad that most people just look for it as an opportunity to throw down.

If Im watching a game at Hooters or some other sports bar, and someone has their kid in their on gameday, they need to check what environment they walked into. Thats the only places Ive really had issues with overzealous dads.

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

TxRaider210 Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 6:53 am
    Klas Tjorborn Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 6:51 am
    Raider Riff Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 6:49 am
    I liked what I saw of Kellen Moore.
    —-
    Moore looks good but needs to get taller.

——————–
    Unless he’s a really late bloomer, I doubt if he hits another growing spurt.lol
    —–
    We have some doctors in Sweden who can add 3 inches to your height.

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

POST-355,I AGREE.I FOR ONE CAN SHUT UP 4 TWO MINUTES 4 THE ANTHEM.

• DJ Johnny

On NFL AM (nfln) one of the guys picked Raiders second in Afc West despite his gut telling him to pick Raiders…his only concern was Palmer…and to lesser degree DMAC staying healthy.

The Palmer int’s have not gone unnoticed by the media.

I’ve been defending Palmer all along, but he needs to not do that.

I hope it’s no big deal..chalk it up to preseason, but Palmer sure is getting alot of flack for his preseason int’s.

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

Guest123 Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 6:54 am
    ——-
    Sure, but the national anthem at sporting events is just silly. People are there for sports and to get drunk not to be patriotic.

• TxRaider210

Klas Tjorborn Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 6:56 am
    TxRaider210 Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 6:53 am
    Klas Tjorborn Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 6:51 am
    Raider Riff Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 6:49 am
    I liked what I saw of Kellen Moore.
    —-
    Moore looks good but needs to get taller.

——————–
    Unless he’s a really late bloomer, I doubt if he hits another growing spurt.lol
    —–
    We have some doctors in Sweden who can add 3 inches to your height.

—————
    Klas, How in the heck to they pull that off?lol

• hwnrdr

I always stand with my hand over my heart during National Anthem. I kinda look away when people don’t and do talk. I understand the freedom thing but being in the military myself (some 20+ years ago) it does kinda bug me…but like I said, every man, woman, and child has their own right! I just look away.
    There are times I do catch myself firing off a cuss word or two in the passion for the game. But I do quickly apologize, especially when they are kids there. I am not an a**hole especially now that I am older, but it slips and I do admit it is bad! That is why I quickly turn to them and apologize!

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

We have some doctors in Sweden who can add 3 inches to your height.

—————
    Klas, How in the heck to they pull that off?lol
    ——–
    I think they came from Soviet Union days. You’ve seen Rocky IV, no?

• guest123

*******

I won’t argue that it’s silly. Maybe overboard. But how long does the anthem last? 3 minutes? Out of a 4 hour experience of attending a game, it’s not a big deal. I can see it both ways though.

• DJ Johnny

None of the 3 panelists picked Raiders to finish last. I think 2 of the guys said Raiders 2nd.

We’ll see. If what we see from the D translates to reg season or better yet we only show we are better…

Look out.

I didn’t notice Palmers velocity getting weaker as Raiderman 99 mentioned..as far as the pass he’s talking about. It just seemed he missed the throw.

I DID expect Palmer to look better at this point but I still have his back.

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

Hwnrdr, some times you just can’t help dropping an F bomb. I saw 10 year old chanting F*ck Tebow once.

• RAIDERMAN99

Based on the pre-season action I’ve seen, DVD should be an EASY cut.

Has really looked bad. Poor in coverage. Abysmal tackling.

There was one play against Detroit where the TE catches a pass right on the sideline. DVD comes up from the side and just has to tap him to knock him out of bounds. DVD did tap him. Looked like a spit ball bouncing off a battleship. TE just brushed him off like a gnat.

Even with the supposedly great camp and his draft status, if you’re going by performance in the pre-season games only – DVD is a goner.

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

Klas is out. Time to milk the cows and smoke a bong.

• TxRaider210

Klas Tjorborn Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 7:00 am
    We have some doctors in Sweden who can add 3 inches to your height.

—————
    Klas, How in the heck to they pull that off?lol
    ——–
    I think they came from Soviet Union days. You’ve seen Rocky IV, no?

———————–
    LOL I think the soviets turned Sly into a machine, dude is older than dirt and looks like he could take on governator.

• J Hill

Damn, JFB ….

Glad your still here instead of angelically being able to help the sorry arsse Giants.

• TxRaider210

Later Klas good luck with the cows!

• hwnrdr

Our whole section cheers no matter who is singing the anthem and even if they do sound bad doing it! To me it is an honor to be out there in front of drunken craziness singing your heart out for America. We have the right to attend games because of the freedom that our guys and gals serving our country right now to keep that freedom bell ringing!

• guest123

********

It’s all good Hwnrdr, I don’t think anyone holds you accountable for a few words that slip.

• J Hill

Based on the pre-season action I’ve seen, DVD should be an EASY cut.

———————————————————-

Agreed.

Amazing how he gets pushed around out there.

• Raider Riff

Guest123 Says:

it’s not a big deal. I can see it both ways though.

————-

And thats why I respect you on this board. You are pragmatic and your stances are always solid.

A top 13 member of this board IMO.

• guest123

*******

Damn right!

(oops sorry!)

• RAIDERMAN99

================================================
    I think all 3 of them picked the Chargers to finish last.

• hwnrdr

Klas Tjorborn Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 7:02 am

LOL, I would probably in my head say YES, but my kids know…do not repeat! And I would scold them for saying so! Bad reflection on me…

• guest123

Well thanks Riff for your comment.

• Raider Riff

A lot of DVD bashing going on.

What do you guys expect our CB corps look like?

Bartell
    Spencer
    Lee?
    Checkwa?

• DJ Johnny

Some guy was talking about how Routt looks ok with the chiefs based on his name not getting mentioned in the 1st half of one of the preseason games.

I said sure; you tend to hear his name more often in crucial situations like in the redzone late in games and on 3rd and longs.

• hwnrdr

guest123 Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 7:06 am

*******

Damn right!

(oops sorry!)

LOL, its like America…F Yeah!!!

• TxRaider210

Raider Riff Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 7:07 am
    A lot of DVD bashing going on.

What do you guys expect our CB corps look like?

Bartell
    Spencer
    Lee?
    Checkwa?

————————–
    I think Chekwa has more upside than DVD imo, wont they carry 5 DB’s on the roster?

• J Hill

Pryor looked good.

His running ability is going to open up a lot of single coverage.

• guest123

*********

Reminds me of draft day in ’09. Relaxing in the swimming pool and the TV announcers talking about Darrius Heyward Bey as the Raiders pick. I must of fired off every F-bomb and other bad word I knew as my head throbbed with a migraine. I had to bribe the kids with ice cream to not tell on me to momma. That was a humbling experience.

• Raider Riff

During the 09 draft I watched it at ESPN Zone at Staples Center.

I thought the LA Riots were going to erupt. People were looking for sh1t to burn and cars to flip.

DHB has come a long way.

• guest123

Pryor did look good. I’d like to see him run routes though but I agree he’d look good in single coverage.

• Raider Riff

TxRaider210 Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 7:09 am
    Raider Riff Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 7:07 am
    A lot of DVD bashing going on.

What do you guys expect our CB corps look like?

Bartell
    Spencer
    Lee?
    Checkwa?

————————–

———

Yeah, I think 5 or maybe 6?

Either way, with all the DVD bashing, Im wondering who people think he should be replaced by?

Nnamdi looked not so hot his first two seasons lets not forget. If DVD is showing growth, why not develop him?

• J Hill

Bartell
    Spencer
    Lee
    Chekwa

Huff is playing nickel corner.

Gio
    MM34
    Underwood

We need one more legit corner.

DVD ain’t it.

• http://000 Bob Marley

I’d keep DVD, he looked bad last pre-season too but ended up as the best CB we had during the season, as far as the burn-percentage rate.

Huff is going to be our 3rd CB anytime opponets go 3-4 WR, so DVD, Chekwa or Pat Lee are likely to be the 4th and 5th CB’s anyway.

• Raider Riff

Huff is the definite nickel corner?

I love our safety corps.

Gio, Huffy, Missile Mike, Branch

Who comes in to fill in for Huffy when he’s at the nickel? Gio or MM?

• http://000 Bob Marley

Riff.

It looks that way, Gio seems to be the FS when Huff goes to CB….Mitchell for some reason keeps enetering the game with the 2nd team and remains in there with the 3rd, he’s been playing deep into the 4th quarter all pre-season, not sure why.

• Plunketthead

Firebaby
    Take care of you, I like you a little bit, quit that job or at least the driving part
    Best move I ever made was leaving the rat race. Get a job like mine so you can be stress free and sleep like a baby.
    Whenever I get stressed at work, I walk into the cooler, inhale some MM fumes and guzzle a cold beer.
    :smile:

Your problem may not be stress but it wont hurt to be easy

• TxRaider210

Raider Riff Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 7:21 am
    Huff is the definite nickel corner?

I love our safety corps.

Gio, Huffy, Missile Mike, Branch

Who comes in to fill in for Huffy when he’s at the nickel? Gio or MM?

——————-
    Agreed, the saftey positions look solid. I think the DVD bashing roots from his lack of size and tackling woes.

• hwnrdr

Gio did pull off a nice int that was called back for roughing the passer…

• RAIDERMAN99

If DVD is showing growth, why not develop him?
    =================================================
    Staff’s call. They’re the ones to make the call if he’s showing growth and to make the projection as to what he can develop into.

Don’t like discarding players too quickly.

I remember the first season CJ37 was with the Raids. Saw him play in the pre-season and thought he was beyond hope. Some horrific pre-season performances.

Was shocked he made the team, but really came to like him as a player later.

You never know. But DVD looks really light and weak out there. Can’t see him being a player unless he bulks up.

• hwnrdr

I was wondering myself why Mike was in there during the 4th qtr…

• http://000 Bob Marley

DVD needs to learn to dive at the guy’s legs every time, he’s not gonna bring them down going above the waist.

• TxRaider210

hwnrdr Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 7:26 am
    Gio did pull off a nice int that was called back for roughing the passer…

——————
    Yep, and he also made two tackles that looked like they’d have been easy TD’s, one of them being the return Jano got hurt on.

• CanuckRaider

I’m with JFB and Guest123 on the foul language thing…Needing to use the F word in every second sentence just demonstrates a lack of anything useful to say…My niece summed it up one night on the way home from a game I’d taken her to. I had to stop for gas and some drunk idiot walked in swearing his head off about someone he had a beef with. my niece looked at him and quietly said “What a drunken loser”…She was 11 or 12 at the time. Kids have a way with the truth do they not?