Sense of urgency falls upon Raiders

By Steve Corkran
Monday, August 27th, 2012 at 3:18 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Raiders coach Dennis Allen had a little extra bounce in his step, seemed a bit more energized and ready for the long grind that is the regular season. It’s amazing what three nights sleeping in your own bed can do for a person, eh, coach?
So it was that the Raiders practiced in Alameda on Monday for the first time since breaking camp in Napa last Thursday. It’s the place they will call home base for the next five months or so, perhaps longer if they make it to the Super Bowl.
“It’s nice to get back home,” Allen said. “I got a chance to sleep in my own bed a couple nights, so that was good. It’s good. I thought we had a good day of work today. It’s good for us to get back in this environment, get our guys used to the locker room here, the practice facility, the weight room, all of that kind of good stuff.”
At the same time, moving to the year-round facility, combined with 12 players being jettisoned in the first round of roster cuts Monday, signals to the players that things are different now than they were the past five months or so.
“Every time you change the surroundings, people realize there’s a little something different,” Allen said. “Getting back here, it’s kind of, we’re getting close. Everybody feels the sense that we’re getting close to the opening day of the season.”
Rookie guard Tony Bergstrom said seeing so many familiar faces gone in a flash is a sobering reminder of how fleeting it can be for an NFL player.
“It’s crazy,” Bergstrom said. “It just makes you want to go that much harder in practice because you never know. It kind of makes you realize that this is a business and it’s not necessarily a nice business all the time, either. So, it makes you really appreciate you being here as long as you have and you just want to hold on that much longer.”

– Defensive lineman Lamarr Houston was asked by coaches to shed 10 pounds from his 305-pound frame during the offseason. In response, Houston lost 20.
Now, the Raiders are reaping the dividends from a player who is lighter, faster and more active on the field.
“He’s actually quicker than he was in OTAs and minicamp,” Allen said. “He’s lost some weight, he’s in good shape. He played outstanding the other night and if he continues to develop the way that he has and work the way he has, I would expect good things out of him.”
Houston said he didn’t want to lose much more than the 20 pounds he did because of the potential of being used inside, when he isn’t playing end.
“I kept in mind I would be playing inside a little bit,” Houston said. “So you can’t be too much smaller than 285, or 295, really. You get a lot of doubles and things like that, block-backs with the center and things like that.”

– Allen said he isn’t sure if defensive tackle Richard Seymour will play Thursday night against the Seattle Seahawks. Seymour still is resting his sore knee in an attempt to get healthy enough for the regular season.
Allen said Seymour is battling through tendinitis. Seymour said it’s more a case of what’s called the effects of playing 12 years in the NFL.
“I don’t think this is a situation where we have to carry somebody extra because of his situation,” Allen said. “It’s just something we’ll have to manage as we go throughout the season. I’ve been through that provess before with Darren Sharper in New Orleans, a guy that was a little bit long in the tooth. So we had to take care of him. We had to manage him. It’s not unlike any other situation I’ve dealt with.”

– When Carson Palmer entered the NFL in 2003, he latched on to veteran Jon Kitna as a way of learning the ropes and expediting his learning curve as a young quarterback.
Like any good veteran, Palmer now is paying back on the advance he received from Kitna by mentoring second-year quarterback Terrelle Pryor.
“I want to because I like Terrelle, but also that’s part of my role,” Palmer said. “That’s my job. When you’re a quarterback as a veteran, like myself, I’ve been trained very well by a guy named Jon Kitna I was fortunate enough to play behind for my first couple years in the NFL.
“He really showed me how to be a pro, how to watch film, how to work out. He showed me all the small things a coach can’t show you, and I’ll never forget that. And that’s now the role I have with Terrelle or with whatever younger quarterback comes around. Just comes with the territory.”
Pryor stays real close to Palmer at all times, soaking up every bit of knowledge he can from Palmer, be it on the practice field, on the sideline, in positional and team meetings, the weight room, you name it.
That process began midway through last season, when Palmer arrived via trade with the Cincinnati Bengals. Almost a year later, Palmer said he has noticed a huge change in Pryor’s performance.
“A ton,” Palmer said, when asked how much change he has noticed. “When I first got here, he wasn’t getting a ton of reps, so for training camp he got 30-40 percent of the reps during camp and he’s improved drastically.”

– Linebacker Aaron Curry still hasn’t been cleared to practice because of balky knees. The Raiders have until Friday to decide what to do with Curry — leave him on the physically unable to perform list, carry him on the 53-man roster, place him on injured-reserve, release him, something.
Allen said he still hasn’t decided how to proceed.
“I’m going to wait until the very last minute to make the decision on what we need to do with him,” Allen said.
Curry has not practiced in more than two months. He spent time in Los Angeles earlier this month seeking a second opinion and receiving treatments.
Curry was unavailable for comment Monday.

– Palmer arrived as the No. 1 pick in the 2003 NFL draft, so he couldn’t be any further removed from the path taken by undrated wide receiver Rod Streater. Yet, Palmer said he has an idea for what Streater is going through.
“When you’re a sixth-, seventh-round draft choice or a free agent, there’s a little bit of doubt,” Palmer said. “Why didn’t I get picked? Why did I get picked so late? Maybe I can’t play in this league. There’s some things that can kind of sink into your head. I haven’t specifically talked to him about that, but I’m sure there’s a little bit of that in there, coming from a Wing-T offense, catching 15, 16 balls his senior year.
“The one thing he’s realized is he can play. He can play with the best, he can win a one-on-one route against any corner, starter or backup corner. And that’s one of the biggest hurdles a young guy has to get over is you really don’t know if you can do it consistently. And he’s consistently done it every single practice, every single day. So confidence-wise, I don’t think he has any issue confidence-wise.”
Streater actually caught 19 passes at Temple last season. The Raiders liked what they saw in Streater and signed him soon after this year’s draft ended.
Through three games, Streater has caught 18 passes for 165 yards and no touchdowns. He has played well enough in training camp and those three games to be considered a lock to make the 53-man roster.
Allen, as usual, has a knack for keeping things in proper perspective.
“I’ve said this before about Rod; he’s done a nice job as a rookie coming in,” Allen said. “He’s an undrafted free agent player that we felt real good about. He’s one of the top guys that we wanted to get when it came to free agency, so he’s done a good job for us. He’s got to continue to develop and get better. I’m not ready to put him in the Hall of Fame. Still got a long way to go but right now he’s made some good progress.”

– Thursday provides the 75 players on the roster one final chance to make a compelling case for why they deserve playing time in the regular season and/or spots on the 53-man roster.
The final roster cuts are less than 24 hours after that game. Naturally, Allen and general manager Reggie McKenzie will take into account numerous things when deciding which 22 players to purge from the roster.
Just the same, that final game has the ability to sway opinion one way or the other, Allen said.
“What that exact number is, I don’t know, but there’s still a lot of decisions to be made,” Allen said. “There’s still a lot of decisions to be made as far as who’s on the 53-man roster. And these guys are playing not only to make our roster but they’re playing to make 31 other teams, too. It’s a big game for a lot of people.”

– Starting cornerbacks Ron Bartell and Shawntae Spencer played in only 10 games combined last season, with Bartell missing all but one game because of a neck injury.
Yet, the Raiders saw something in the 30-year-olds that convinced them that Bartell and Spencer would be an upgrade over canned starters Stanford Routt and Chris Johnson.
Allen said it remains to be seen whether the Raiders made the right call. For now, he is pleased with the way Bartell and Spencer have played.
“There’s a hunger there,” Allen said. “There’s a hunger there to go out and reprove themselves, that they belong in this league. It takes awhile to kind of get the rust knocked off, but I’ve been pleased with the way that both of those guys have played.
“Not just the way they’ve played, but the way they’ve handled themselves in the locker room, the way they’ve handled themselves in the meeting room gives us a chance to have some veteran guys that can teach some of the younger guys really what it means to be a pro.”

– The Raiders might luck out and get back injured wide receivers Jacoby Ford and Denarius Moore in time for the regular-season opener. It’s going to take more than luck for those guys and Palmer to get in synch after missing so much time together in camp and games.
“We need a ton of work together,” Palmer said. “You can never get enough work with a guy, even if he’s played every rep and you’ve played every rep, you always need those reps. When they’re back, it’s not easy to get off the couch or get out of a walking boot or off crutches or whatever it may be and just show up and play.
“This league is way too good. These players are too good, these schemes are too good just to jump back in and go. So there’s going to be a little bit of a process of getting their legs back and their conditioning back, but also their minds and bodies to the speed of the game to get caught up with everything.”

• DJ Johnny

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 7:29 pm
    Mistic isn’t a “racist” per se, he just likes black QB’s.

Not sure why he runs from it though. So what I say? I like more of the underdog, hard-working, overachiever types.

Raider O likes guys from Ohio and hates people from Michigan. So be it!!!!

O is a “michigan-ist”.

• J Hill

That is FAR from an unbeatable squad.

Isaih Thomas
    Jordan
    Bird
    Barkley
    Olajuwon

• rob_raider

RaiderRob—where did u come from?

• RAIDERMAN99

I’m not sure we can accurately state we’ve ‘turned the corner’.

Not really sure what that means to begin with.

Are we moving in the right direction ?

I think so.

I see what appears to be a tremendous improvement in defensive scheme and cohesiveness. HUGE props to Tarver for this.

But even this might prove to be a pre-season mirage.

On offense, I don’t see the corner being turned at all.

Don’t like Knapp or his offensive style.

Have severe doubts about whether TIM Palmer can play like Carson Palmer again.

Think we already had an offense on the verge of being championship caliber, just need a QB to take it home.

Besides, turning the corner isn’t enough. You can turn the corner and wind up on the road to nowhere.

This is about winning Lombardi’s. Improvement is great but we’ve got to have legit championship aspirations.

• rob_raider

i’m really excited. the raiders look good and b!tch dog hasn’t been around. life is good.

• PurpleDrank81

Since were on the race hype tonite…. Has there ever been an Asian QB… Im brain farting over here and cant think of 1

• J Hill

LOLat Debo getting blamed for ALL the Russell talk.

You guys are MORE than happy to keep that topic going.

The collective responses are 10 times the volume of Debo’s posts, lol.

• DJ Johnny

We had a big Wang and Reggie let him go.

• DJ Johnny

..in fact we had the biggest Wang in the league.

• Just Fire Baby

You got to give credit to Debo for sticking to his guns, going on 3-4 years now.

If I were him, at some point in time I would have just said F it, he sucked, I’m over it.

• DJ Johnny

J Hill Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 7:44 pm
    LOLat Debo getting blamed for ALL the Russell talk.

You guys are MORE than happy to keep that topic going.

The collective responses are 10 times the volume of Debo’s posts, lol.

If he’d just let it go i think everyone else would.

He revives his preposterous line of thought everytime he checks in.

I personally think he does it just to instigate people.

It should be dismissed and ignored…you’re right.

• DJ Johnny

PurpleDrank81 Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Would Tuiassosopo qualify?

• R8RNAZ

No he was samoan right?

• J Hill

————————————————————–

An offense?

As in the talent at the skill positions?

• R8RNAZ

I read all the earlier post about Moss being the best ever WR. That piece of crap whenever things did not go his way. You can’t be number 1 at anything when youre a piece of crap quitter. Moss should be number 1 be he’s not.

• RAIDERMAN99

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 7:29 pm
    Mistic isn’t a “racist” per se, he just likes black QB’s.

Raider O likes guys from Ohio and hates people from Michigan. So be it!!!!
    ==================================================
    I’ve seen some stuff from Mistic that could be considered racist.

I remember the “That’s a black man kicking your asses” comment in reference to JC and his critics.

Yes, that might have been in response to some racist remarks that were made about JC, but it still doesn’t excuse Mistic taking the bait and going down the same avenue.

But if he did, so what ?

Didn’t really bother me, anyway. JC wasn’t kicking any one’s ass here, just Mistic being Mistic.

Heck, I was accused of being a racist for calling JC, ‘JaJason’.

Take it with a grain of salt.

I happen to think that everyone is race conscious to a certain degree.

Mistic is just a little more obvious about it than most.

Doesn’t make his football observations or player evaluations necessarily incorrect.

Although he sure as hell was wrong about JC being the second coming.

• Raiders for life

I really, really hate to say this but…..I would take Ed McCaffrey in his prime over just about anyone. Dude could take a beating.

• RAIDERMAN99

J Hill Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 7:44 pm
    LOLat Debo getting blamed for ALL the Russell talk.

You guys are MORE than happy to keep that topic going.

The collective responses are 10 times the volume of Debo’s posts, lol.

===============================================
    I love me some JaMoron posts.

Starting to miss the Slowlando McLame talk.

Glad JFB escaped his mishap unscathed, not only bcz I like him alot, but also bcz we’re going to have some fun seeing how long Slo-mania persists.

• UCLA Raiders

Anyone else is concerned with Seymour contradicting the young HC about nature of his bad knee? It seems like he is a bigger authority than HC in the club house. And he didn’t like HC use the word arthritis. No matter what you call his knee ailment big Rich will not give Raiders $13M worth of service this year. Agreed?
    Basically He gave his best years of his career to New England cheaters, and helped them win three superbowls while they were under paying him. And now we are over paying him while he’s under performing for us on the field. And he will retire as a NE Cheater when he’s done collecting Raiders’ hefty pay checks. Does that sound right to you people?
    I know Reggie’s hand are tied based on large gaurantee salary Al gave him but still I got an issue with the under performing part of it all.

• Intrepid

You guys aren’t posting fast enough to keep me entertained,so I was catching up on some unread threads and just caught JFB’s death defying incident. Scary ish.

• DJ Johnny

Isn’t it 15 mill. for Seymour?

Yes. His knees should be thouroughly toast by the end of the yr. if not sooner, and despite NE trading him to Raiders, he will most likely sign a one day contract so he can retire a patriot.

Maybe he’ll even shed a few tears for his beloved Pats and tearily than Belichik for giving him the honor of playing for him and the wonderful Kraft family.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Ok, I’m back home, who wants some?

• DJ Johnny

Ahhhh, the Patriot Way….just gives me goosebumps to think of how they transcend football and speak to a way of life that only very few lucky enough to be associated with them, get to experience.

• Intrepid

Don’t think Seymour has very fond memories of the New England organization and how he was treated. I’m sure he he has good memories of his playing time there, but not convinced he’ll want to retire as a Patriot.

• RAIDERMAN99

An offense?

As in the talent at the skill positions?
    =============================================
    Yep. We’re loaded at the skill positions. DMAC and TJones are as explosive a tandem as any. Reese can make a play. WR corps is somewhat green, but I think will prove to be very, very good.

With the exception of TE, we’re stacked.

Even though we’re talking skill positions – would add that the OLine, while not great, is good enough.

If we can get some solid QB play there isn’t a reason (besides Knapp) that this unit shouldn’t be championship caliber.

• Raiders for life

I think Seymour’s contract is good through 2016

• DJ Johnny

….or Seymour will embrace the silver and black and say “screw the pats” and want to be part of the Raider family even after he retires.

• RAIDERMAN99

Ok, I’m back home, who wants some?
    ========================================
    Ask your wife first.

If you’re still posting in a few mins we’ll know the answer.

• DJ Johnny

Raiders for life Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 8:40 pm
    I think Seymour’s contract is good through 2016

If he’s being babied like he is now, imagine what’ll be like next year with his knee issues. No less 2016.

• Raiders for life

I’m having doubts that Rich makes it through this season.

• truepain

I think Seymour’s contract is good through 2016

_________________________________

I hope Seymour can stay on top of his game till 2016

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

RAIDERMAN99 Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 8:42 pm
    Ok, I’m back home, who wants some?
    ========================================
    Ask your wife first.

If you’re still posting in a few mins we’ll know the answer.
    —————-
    Do I make comments about your family?

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

KoolKell Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 8:50 pm
    RAIDERMAN99 Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 8:42 pm
    Ok, I’m back home, who wants some?
    ========================================
    Ask your wife first.

If you’re still posting in a few mins we’ll know the answer.
    —————-
    Do I make comments about your family? Do I EVER make negative comments about you?

• Raiders for life

############################

Kell, I think he meant if we don’t hear from you that means you are getting some.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Ok Len, maybe I misunderstood. I get so much personal crap in here.

• PurpleDrank81

We just signed Roscoe Parrish

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

From Twitter:

NFL News And Talk
    Cut earlier today by the San Diego Chargers, WR/KR Roscoe Parrish has agreed to a deal with the Oakland Raiders. #NFL

=================================

There’s our return guy.

• REALLIONAIREB

We just sign Roscoe Parish

Wut does this mean for Jacoby Ford

To be continued….

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

Also, the roster limits are 75, so signing Parrish means someone has to go…

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Is Roscoe any good.

• REALLIONAIREB

Brain Macain

Maybe…

• REALLIONAIREB

Kookell

He’s another J.Ford

But not with all the injurys

They bout the same size…

But Roscoe stays relatively health year in year out

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

Glad to see Reggie’s burning the midnight oil.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Thanks, RealReb. Well I guess Ford could be gone.

• Thec

J Hill Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 7:41 pm
    That is FAR from an unbeatable squad.

Isaih Thomas
    Jordan
    Bird
    Barkley
    Olajuwon

+++++++++

Magic
    The Dr
    Human Highlight
    The Dream
    Barkley

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

Signing Parrish either means Ford’s WAY more hurt than we thought, or DA doesn’t want to subject him to the extra hits. Punt returners get creamed a LOT.

• REALLIONAIREB

Nahhhh

Ford is electric

So is parish at 30yrs of age(I think)

Which in hine site it look like it will be Ford

But if I had 2 put money on it…

I’d say Macain better walk lite

• Thec

Parrish = fills a gaping hole in our return game left by JFORD.

Parrish is 30, ran a 4.37 forty at his combine.

He should man the PR/KR duties for us. Doubt he sees the field at Wr.

• Intrepid

Ford and Curry go on PUP list. Out 6 weeks, get healthy.

• REALLIONAIREB