Sense of urgency falls upon Raiders

Raiders coach Dennis Allen had a little extra bounce in his step, seemed a bit more energized and ready for the long grind that is the regular season. It’s amazing what three nights sleeping in your own bed can do for a person, eh, coach?
So it was that the Raiders practiced in Alameda on Monday for the first time since breaking camp in Napa last Thursday. It’s the place they will call home base for the next five months or so, perhaps longer if they make it to the Super Bowl.
“It’s nice to get back home,” Allen said. “I got a chance to sleep in my own bed a couple nights, so that was good. It’s good. I thought we had a good day of work today. It’s good for us to get back in this environment, get our guys used to the locker room here, the practice facility, the weight room, all of that kind of good stuff.”
At the same time, moving to the year-round facility, combined with 12 players being jettisoned in the first round of roster cuts Monday, signals to the players that things are different now than they were the past five months or so.
“Every time you change the surroundings, people realize there’s a little something different,” Allen said. “Getting back here, it’s kind of, we’re getting close. Everybody feels the sense that we’re getting close to the opening day of the season.”
Rookie guard Tony Bergstrom said seeing so many familiar faces gone in a flash is a sobering reminder of how fleeting it can be for an NFL player.
“It’s crazy,” Bergstrom said. “It just makes you want to go that much harder in practice because you never know. It kind of makes you realize that this is a business and it’s not necessarily a nice business all the time, either. So, it makes you really appreciate you being here as long as you have and you just want to hold on that much longer.”

– Defensive lineman Lamarr Houston was asked by coaches to shed 10 pounds from his 305-pound frame during the offseason. In response, Houston lost 20.
Now, the Raiders are reaping the dividends from a player who is lighter, faster and more active on the field.
“He’s actually quicker than he was in OTAs and minicamp,” Allen said. “He’s lost some weight, he’s in good shape. He played outstanding the other night and if he continues to develop the way that he has and work the way he has, I would expect good things out of him.”
Houston said he didn’t want to lose much more than the 20 pounds he did because of the potential of being used inside, when he isn’t playing end.
“I kept in mind I would be playing inside a little bit,” Houston said. “So you can’t be too much smaller than 285, or 295, really. You get a lot of doubles and things like that, block-backs with the center and things like that.”

– Allen said he isn’t sure if defensive tackle Richard Seymour will play Thursday night against the Seattle Seahawks. Seymour still is resting his sore knee in an attempt to get healthy enough for the regular season.
Allen said Seymour is battling through tendinitis. Seymour said it’s more a case of what’s called the effects of playing 12 years in the NFL.
“I don’t think this is a situation where we have to carry somebody extra because of his situation,” Allen said. “It’s just something we’ll have to manage as we go throughout the season. I’ve been through that provess before with Darren Sharper in New Orleans, a guy that was a little bit long in the tooth. So we had to take care of him. We had to manage him. It’s not unlike any other situation I’ve dealt with.”

– When Carson Palmer entered the NFL in 2003, he latched on to veteran Jon Kitna as a way of learning the ropes and expediting his learning curve as a young quarterback.
Like any good veteran, Palmer now is paying back on the advance he received from Kitna by mentoring second-year quarterback Terrelle Pryor.
“I want to because I like Terrelle, but also that’s part of my role,” Palmer said. “That’s my job. When you’re a quarterback as a veteran, like myself, I’ve been trained very well by a guy named Jon Kitna I was fortunate enough to play behind for my first couple years in the NFL.
“He really showed me how to be a pro, how to watch film, how to work out. He showed me all the small things a coach can’t show you, and I’ll never forget that. And that’s now the role I have with Terrelle or with whatever younger quarterback comes around. Just comes with the territory.”
Pryor stays real close to Palmer at all times, soaking up every bit of knowledge he can from Palmer, be it on the practice field, on the sideline, in positional and team meetings, the weight room, you name it.
That process began midway through last season, when Palmer arrived via trade with the Cincinnati Bengals. Almost a year later, Palmer said he has noticed a huge change in Pryor’s performance.
“A ton,” Palmer said, when asked how much change he has noticed. “When I first got here, he wasn’t getting a ton of reps, so for training camp he got 30-40 percent of the reps during camp and he’s improved drastically.”

– Linebacker Aaron Curry still hasn’t been cleared to practice because of balky knees. The Raiders have until Friday to decide what to do with Curry — leave him on the physically unable to perform list, carry him on the 53-man roster, place him on injured-reserve, release him, something.
Allen said he still hasn’t decided how to proceed.
“I’m going to wait until the very last minute to make the decision on what we need to do with him,” Allen said.
Curry has not practiced in more than two months. He spent time in Los Angeles earlier this month seeking a second opinion and receiving treatments.
Curry was unavailable for comment Monday.

– Palmer arrived as the No. 1 pick in the 2003 NFL draft, so he couldn’t be any further removed from the path taken by undrated wide receiver Rod Streater. Yet, Palmer said he has an idea for what Streater is going through.
“When you’re a sixth-, seventh-round draft choice or a free agent, there’s a little bit of doubt,” Palmer said. “Why didn’t I get picked? Why did I get picked so late? Maybe I can’t play in this league. There’s some things that can kind of sink into your head. I haven’t specifically talked to him about that, but I’m sure there’s a little bit of that in there, coming from a Wing-T offense, catching 15, 16 balls his senior year.
“The one thing he’s realized is he can play. He can play with the best, he can win a one-on-one route against any corner, starter or backup corner. And that’s one of the biggest hurdles a young guy has to get over is you really don’t know if you can do it consistently. And he’s consistently done it every single practice, every single day. So confidence-wise, I don’t think he has any issue confidence-wise.”
Streater actually caught 19 passes at Temple last season. The Raiders liked what they saw in Streater and signed him soon after this year’s draft ended.
Through three games, Streater has caught 18 passes for 165 yards and no touchdowns. He has played well enough in training camp and those three games to be considered a lock to make the 53-man roster.
Allen, as usual, has a knack for keeping things in proper perspective.
“I’ve said this before about Rod; he’s done a nice job as a rookie coming in,” Allen said. “He’s an undrafted free agent player that we felt real good about. He’s one of the top guys that we wanted to get when it came to free agency, so he’s done a good job for us. He’s got to continue to develop and get better. I’m not ready to put him in the Hall of Fame. Still got a long way to go but right now he’s made some good progress.”

– Thursday provides the 75 players on the roster one final chance to make a compelling case for why they deserve playing time in the regular season and/or spots on the 53-man roster.
The final roster cuts are less than 24 hours after that game. Naturally, Allen and general manager Reggie McKenzie will take into account numerous things when deciding which 22 players to purge from the roster.
Just the same, that final game has the ability to sway opinion one way or the other, Allen said.
“What that exact number is, I don’t know, but there’s still a lot of decisions to be made,” Allen said. “There’s still a lot of decisions to be made as far as who’s on the 53-man roster. And these guys are playing not only to make our roster but they’re playing to make 31 other teams, too. It’s a big game for a lot of people.”

– Starting cornerbacks Ron Bartell and Shawntae Spencer played in only 10 games combined last season, with Bartell missing all but one game because of a neck injury.
Yet, the Raiders saw something in the 30-year-olds that convinced them that Bartell and Spencer would be an upgrade over canned starters Stanford Routt and Chris Johnson.
Allen said it remains to be seen whether the Raiders made the right call. For now, he is pleased with the way Bartell and Spencer have played.
“There’s a hunger there,” Allen said. “There’s a hunger there to go out and reprove themselves, that they belong in this league. It takes awhile to kind of get the rust knocked off, but I’ve been pleased with the way that both of those guys have played.
“Not just the way they’ve played, but the way they’ve handled themselves in the locker room, the way they’ve handled themselves in the meeting room gives us a chance to have some veteran guys that can teach some of the younger guys really what it means to be a pro.”

– The Raiders might luck out and get back injured wide receivers Jacoby Ford and Denarius Moore in time for the regular-season opener. It’s going to take more than luck for those guys and Palmer to get in synch after missing so much time together in camp and games.
“We need a ton of work together,” Palmer said. “You can never get enough work with a guy, even if he’s played every rep and you’ve played every rep, you always need those reps. When they’re back, it’s not easy to get off the couch or get out of a walking boot or off crutches or whatever it may be and just show up and play.
“This league is way too good. These players are too good, these schemes are too good just to jump back in and go. So there’s going to be a little bit of a process of getting their legs back and their conditioning back, but also their minds and bodies to the speed of the game to get caught up with everything.”

Steve Corkran

RaiderDuck Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 9:15 pm
    Signing Parrish either means Ford’s WAY more hurt than we thought, or DA doesn’t want to subject him to the extra hits. Punt returners get creamed a LOT.

+++++++

Our return game has been abysmal so far this presea.
    Org wants someone who can make a diffrence.

I think the one you do not want to risk is TJONES.

• Thec

Another good reason Parrish is a good signing is he knows what the disc are up to.

Him being a vet, he should be able to provide some intel on the workings of the disc.

Intrepid Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 9:20 pm
    Ford and Curry go on PUP list. Out 6 weeks, get healthy.

+++++++

Curry yes, JFORD no.

truepain Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 8:50 pm
    I think Seymour’s contract is good through 2016

_________________________________

I hope Seymour can stay on top of his game till 2016

++++++++++=

Arthritic knees…The old man can go on PUP, then retire.

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

This signing also means that McGee, Carswell, Session and Carrier are now hoping for Practice Squad at best. No way we’re going to carry seven wideouts.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Yeah, but do they need Ford at WR?

• aig-raiders

I like Roscoe Parrish. We can stabilize the return game and have a decent vet WR to calm the young guns during the game.

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

KoolKell Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 9:28 pm
    Yeah, but do they need Ford at WR?

=======================================

I’m assuming Ford starts the season as our slot guy.

• Method To My Madness

Roscoe’s Chicken n Waffles Parrish on Raiders?

YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

• Intrepid

If Ford can play week 2 or even week 3, I would agree. But if they’re not real sure about that, I’d PUP him and roll with Parrish for 6 weeks. reevaluate then.

• Method To My Madness

truepain Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 8:50 pm
    I think Seymour’s contract is good through 2016

_________________________________

I hope Seymour can stay on top of his game till 2016

++++++++++=

Arthritic knees…The old man can go on PUP, then retire.
    *********************

Seymour can leave

• Intrepid

Method To My Madness Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Ford you can stay away dammit…..let streater and criner get reps
    //////////////////////////Permanently or PUP list?

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck
  • r8eray

Parrish a Raider?

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

Yup.

• Thec

JFORD is the best deep threat on the Raiders current roster.

With the predicted rise of JCRINER, and the unsuspecting rise of Streat, makes JFORD’s injury a litle less painful. It is a luxury we have now however, we need ALL the WR;s to be healthy.

Not to mention he was is our best KR, and was due to handle PR duties.

• Method To My Madness

504 Raider Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 7:29 pm
    108.eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 4:26 pm
    pg-JKIDD
    SG-KOBE
    SF-LBJ
    PF-KG
    C-SHAQ
    —————-
    No team from any era beats this squad.

————————————————————————————————————–
    1. Magic
    2. Jordan
    3. Pippen
    4. T Duncan
    5. Dangalang
    *****************************

You guys know didley

1. Magic
    2. Jordan
    3. Bird
    4. Duncan
    5. Kareem

No team you can put together can beat them at all in their prime…forget it….case closed…no one on this blog has a legit argument against this starting 5

• Method To My Madness

If Ford wants to stay cool he needs to stop being an injured pssy…stop the partying and live up to his full potential….sick of this schit man

• Thec

A misconception I see on this blog is the clamouring or stating some guy is a No.1 Wr for this team.

The way this team is constructed, and based on the D schmema we face, you are going to see a diffrent WR lead in stats week to week.

Thats why it is better if ALL our weopons are healthy as it gives the DCO something else to worry about.

• Method To My Madness

Intrepid Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 9:39 pm
    Method To My Madness Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Ford you can stay away dammit…..let streater and criner get reps
    //////////////////////////Permanently or PUP list?
    ****************

Sick of this crap….He did nice his rookie year but thats only on 25 catches…yes he can make plays but he also is hurt too much and im still pissed about him tweeting at 3:30 am before the SD game on new year’s…no bueno

You guys know didley

1. Magic
    2. Jordan
    3. Bird
    4. Duncan
    5. Kareem

+++++++++

2 centers….Ah no…

• Method To My Madness

Thec…you could be right…but most teams that win it all have a number 1 go to guy…..outta the projected top 3 WRs for Raiders who is the go to guy….DHB?Ford? Moore?

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

3. Bird
    4. Duncan
    5. Kareem

+++++++++

2 centers….Ah no…
    ****************************

Duncan is a power forward…even sellout ass Barkley admitted he is greatest PF ever

no starting 5 can beat them OG

Magic schits on Jkidd
    Jordan clowns Kobe
    Bird outsmarts and outhearts Lebron
    Duncan fundamentally beats all PFs

And no center…hell no player in history ever may be better Kareem…Shaq? No way…Wilt? forget about it..Russell is greatest winner ever and would never wanna see the Captain…and this is coming from a major Laker hater

If you wanna combine entire career from HS to Pros…who better than Kareem?

• Method To My Madness

RaiderDuck Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 9:50 pm
    PG: Magic
    SG: Jordan
    SF: Bird
    PF: Malone
    C: Wilt
    **************************

The Failman is a loser and Duncan is way better

Wilt was dope no doubt….but just cant deal with the Captain….Kareem is the man and would ace ppl with the sky hook….the greatest shot in basketball history cuz its unstoppable

• Method To My Madness

Anyways im out…yall be good

Stay Solid

Code Black

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

My 2 cents

Magic
    Michael
    Bird
    Rodmam
    Kareem

Method To My Madness Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 9:49 pm

+++++++++

Teams WILL attempt to take away the no 1 guy.

We saw a great illustration of this with megatron sat.

Who is the Raids current go to guy.

That would be predicated on several factors.

Down
    Distance
    D schematic

As an example, I have seen JFORD targeted by Palmer or 3rd downs. He may have been drawing the single.

I am not of the mindset that we have to have a go to guy for any given situation, I am more inclined to TAKE, what the D is giving me.

Or in our case just TAKE what we want.

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

So how about this:

PG: Cousy
    SG: Jordan
    SF: Bird
    PF: Rodman
    C: Wilt

6th Man: Magic (can play ANY position on the floor)

• Rezinator

Jabar Gafney just got released by Pats. Would like to see him compete with our WRs. He posted nice numbers last year with redskins…

Magic

Hakeem

==============================================

Three small forwards???

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

KoolKell Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Ok, I’m back home, who wants some?
    ===================================

Obviously your wife doesn’t….

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Seymour why the personal insults, and invoking my wife? What’s wrong with you?

• HGDaddy

Oakland Raiders reportedly reach deal with returner/receiver Roscoe Parrish

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

KoolKell Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Seymour why the personal insults, and invoking my wife? What’s wrong with you?
    You and BrownStains are two of a kind.

PG Magic
    SG Dominique
    SF Dr.J
    PF Barkely
    C Hakeem

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

KoolKell Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Seymour why the personal insults, and invoking my wife? What’s wrong with you?
    =============================================

You started calling names. I just asked if you were among the blog cutdowns earlier today.

RaiderDuck Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 10:01 pm
    Thec Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 10:00 pm
    Magic
    Dr.J
    Dominique
    Barkely
    Hakeem

==============================================

Three small forwards???

++++++++==

I am using the favorites from my era method. All parts are interchangeble

• Thec

Jordan nor kobe could D up Dominique.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Back when you were Oakglen, you were one of the first cross-posters in here. I thought when you changed your main handle to Seymour Bush, you had changed. I gave you the benefit of the doubt. I see you’re still the same.

• Thec

I like the Org’s thinking.

We desperately need our return game improved.

Org is putting in work to make it happen.

• J Hill

Can’t argue against Cap.

Olajuwon is my starting C!!!!

KoolKell Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 9:56 pm
    My 2 cents

Magic
    Michael
    Bird
    Rodmam
    Kareem

++++++++++

You take Kareem over Wilt???

• 504 Raider

This team would take out all those teams mentioned above:

1. Bobby Hurley
    2. Otis Birdsong
    3. Stromile Swift
    4. Sam Bowie
    5. Joe Barry Carroll

• J Hill

LOL at Dominique at the 2.

6th man by a hair over Dr J.

J Hill Says:
    August 27th, 2012 at 10:12 pm
    Can’t argue against Cap.

Olajuwon is my starting C!!!!

+++++++++

Game developed over time, and he became Unstopaable in the post.

Any big

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Yeah, I’d take Kareem over Wilt and Shaquille. Unstoppable Skyhook. Pick and Roll, nice mid floor shot.