Moore, Knapp also concerned about timing

By Steve Corkran
Tuesday, August 28th, 2012 at 3:16 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Raiders quartertback Carson Palmer first sounded the alarm when he said he is concerned about the inability to work much with injured wide receivers Jacoby Ford and Denarius Moore. Well, as it turns out, he isn’t the only one worried about the effect it’s going to have once they return.
On Tuesday, offensive coordinator Greg Knapp and Moore said they, too, are worried about not being able to get in as much time as needed in training camp and the first three exhibition games.
“It’s been a huge setback,” Knapp said, “because Denarius, I was very excited to start working with last year in the OTAs, watching all the games last year on tape. To miss the timing of that guy with our quarterback, it’s been tough. It’s been tough, I’ll be honest with you.”
Moore has missed all three exhibition games and hasn’t practiced since Aug. 4 because of a lingering hamstring injury. Ford has been sidelined with a left foot injury since the Arizona Cardinals game Aug. 17.
“I’m very concerned,” Moore said. “As far as getting timing down with the quarterback, that’s very important. And actually being out there and repping each play, getting each concept down. It’s just mental errors, too, that you have to be aware of.”
Moore said he is making progress. He added that he is hopeful that the time he spent with Palmer last season and the offseason workouts will expedite the reacclimation process.
“Yes, it is some confidence right there but, then again, that was last year,” Moore said. “This is a new year, and you’ve got to prove yourself again. That’s what my mind-set is right now, just hurry up and get back out there so I can showcase it again.”
The flip side to the equation is that rookies Juron Criner and Rod Streater have received increased reps and playing time in games with Ford and Moore out so much.
That, in turn, should reap dividends for the Raiders in the long run, Knapp said.
“It has given the opportunity for these young guys to grow and, in the long haul, when Denarius comes back healthy actually might have been a blessing for us.”
Coach Dennis Allen said Ford still isn’t able to run on his injured foot. However, Ford was able to catch some balls from the JUGS machine, and he watched practice without the protective boot on his foot.

– Ford, Moore, defensive tackle Richard Seymour, linebacker Aaron Curry, center Stefen Wisniewski and cornerback Pat Lee did not practice Tuesday.
Tight end Richard Gordon returned to practice after missing some time with sore ribs.

– The Washington Redskins released veteran tight end Chris Cooley on Tuesday morning. When asked about the potential of pursuing Cooley, Allen issued his standard response.
“We’re going to look at anybody that comes available, and I don’t care what the position is,” Allen said. “If we feel like a guy can make us better, then we’re going to look at it. I wouldn’t single out the tight end position.
“What you do in the NFL is, you try to get better every single day, and part of the deal is, when people come across the waiver wire or people get released from other teams, you’re looking. So, yeah, we’ll look look. We’ll look at anybody.”
Allen anointed Brandon Myers the leading candidate to replace released starter Kevin Boss at tight end. Second-year players Davis Ausberry and Gordon remain in the mix for the job.
At one point, it seemed as if Ausberry was being groomed for the role. However, his play has been inconsistent in training camp and the three games so far.
“David’s been a little up and down,” Allen said. “He’s really made some nice plays athletically and then he’s had his mental lapses. But he’s still a young player, and he’s a young player with talent, and I’m excited about getting an opportunity to work with him.”
Cooley is subject to the waiver process, which means he can be claimed by another team within the next 24 hours. If he clears waivers, he is free to sign with any team, including the Redskins.

– Doesn’t sound as if there’s any reason for concern regarding kicker Sebastian Janikowski and his sore groin.
So said Allen, once again.
“I don’t anticipate that being any issue at all,” Allen said.
As for kicking Thursday night, Allen said Janikowski is healthy enough to do so, but that doesn’t mean that the Raiders will rush him back, given the opener is less than two weeks away.

– Knapp knows all too well how loud it gets at the CenturyLink Field in Seattle, the site of the Raiders final exhibition game. If Knapp has his way, it will be plenty loud for the Raiders on Thursday.
“Oh, goodness, I’m hoping it does,” Knapp said. “I would love it to be. We’ve been working on silent cadence in practice for that reason. Spending my year up there in 2009, I did find out some information how they developed that stadium and the echo they created. It is deafening. It’s hard to concentrate in there
“And that’s one reason why, what was it, the Giants had 15 false starts in one game? It’s deafening. So, I’m hoping that we do get that effect because that would be good for our ball club.”

– Knapp found out all he needed to know about rookie wide receiver Rod Streater during one particular sequence early in training camp.
“I’m surprised at how much moxie he’s got for a rookie,” Knapp said. “I kind of knew early on. There was a situation at camp, about week 2, where I lost my vocal chords on the kid and later in that practice, he comes back and makes a big play.
“I pulled him aside and said, ‘That’s exactly what you need to do. If you make a mistake, don’t let somebody yelling at you, somebody booing you or somebody critiquing you on the sideline affect how you do the next down.’ For a rookie, he shows a lot of moxie.”
Streater has caught 18 passes for 165 yards in three exhibition games, tops on the Raiders.

– Criner flashed during offseason workouts every day the media were permitted to watch the proceedings. It wasn’t until Saturday night against the Detroit Lions that we were treated to his penchant for making the difficult look routine.
For good reason, too, Knapp said. It’s easy for young players to shine in offseason workouts, it’s quite another once the learning curve gets accelerated in training camp.
“Yeah, that is a common thing with young guys, especially receivers,” Knapp said. “In the OTAs, when we’re in start-up mode, brand new offense, you don’t teach a whole lot. You just teach the core stuff and get a lot of feel for the core stuff. Once we go to training camp, though, we got to expand our book.
“So, a lot of information came his way and there was a little more thinking going on. But in the last seven days here, you can see how his game has improved. He’s not thinking as much, so he’s executing at a higher level.”
Sure enough, Criner caught two passes for touchdowns against the Lions. Both times, it was his ability to turn a difficult throw into a reception that keyed the plays.
For his part, Criner said he realized that it would take time to learn the offense and reach the point where he could let his ability take over, without thinking so much.
“Yeah, that’s kind of what was expected,” Criner said. “The coaches know that the guys have got a lot of information coming in, coming into a totally new, different style of offense and offensive play. So they’re going to be on you about (missed assignments) and stuff, but they definitely understand that we’re getting it down. But at this point we should be pretty much familiar with the playbook.”

– Roscoe Parrish made his Raiders debut at practice today. He said it was an easy call signing with the Raiders once they called Monday upon his release from the San Diego Chargers.
Now, he is primed to take over the punt-returning duties and do whatever else is asked of him by the Raiders. He also is capable of returning kicks and playing slot receiver, roles he handled from time to time during his seven years with the Buffalo Bills.
Yet, he makes no bones about it, returning punts is his speciality, and that’s what the Raiders are looking for most from him, at least in the short term.
“I’ve been (returning punts) since growing up and just coming over here when they need a returner is kind of like, a good feeling because that’ what I do,” Parrish said. “Just be back there and make plays and just not going to take anything for granted, just go out there. I don’t know how much I’m going to play Thursday. Look forward to being in that black and silver.”
Allen said he is intrigued about Parrish’s punt returning skills, ever mindful of Parrish’s past success in that regard.
“I like the fact that there for a couple years he was in the tops of the league in terms of being able to return the ball,” Allen said. “The fact that he can get under it and catch it and make a move and get upfield and gain some yards for us in the return game. And that’s an area that we got to get better at.”

• Just Fire Baby

.so how long do we wait before we throw pryor in there.1 loss 2 or 3 loss’or make him wait till next year,what do you guys think?

******************************

I would be suprised if he started a game this season, unless we were hopelessly out of the playoff race.

But if Palmer doesn’t take us to the playoffs this year, I think the QB job in 2013 will be an open competition.

• Intrepid

imaquaman; Silver and Black Pride, yes. Raider Nation Times, yes. Bleccher Report, he11 no. In fact, to save you from temptation, bookmark this link. http://www.google.com/search?q=oakland+raiders+-Bleacher&hl=en&gl=us&authuser=0&biw=1024&bih=626&tbm=nws&source=lnt&tbs=qdr:d&sa=X&ei=LyEKULrnJ4WnrQGt06XJCg&ved=0CCEQpwUoAg It gives you a google search for Raider news(last 24 hours, but you can adjust that) without ANY Bleccher report links. You’re welcome.

• Raider Riff

I guess KK missed the Tebow bashing fest that went on two stories ago. I didnt see one person sticking up for the clown. Shebow has had 3 years to develop and he hasnt improved at all. Houdini on the other hand has only had 3 games and has shown massive improvements.

But I see the lame topic of the day here is religion so I will bow out. I definitely got better things to do with my time than argue with a bunch of sheep who still think the world is flat.

The Raiders are about thinking for ones self. Going against the grain. Counter culture. Nothing about being a bible thumper says you know how to think for yourself.

Now to some actual Raider talk…

There was some SERIOUS Raider hating going on on NFL Network tonite. Jamie Dukes is permanently on my chitlist. Im now 100% convinced he doesnt even watch the games he talks about. He just breezes over a few stat lines and then makes colossal judgements. F-him.

Ok brothas, Im out. Gotta get some sleep.

Oh, and BTW, Shebow is a member of hate groups. Shebow doesnt like beaver. And Shebow is the worst pure passer in the history of the NFL.

• Pingback: Oakland Raiders Links That You’ll Want To See August 28, 2012 | Raiders Central | Oakland Raiders Blog

• Raider Riff

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 7:13 pm

******************************

———–

Palmer wasnt our problem last year. There is no reason to think he will be the issue this year.

2013 I say we make Houdini the #2. Keep Leinart as the emergency.

2014 he can start pushing Palmer for the starting job. 2015 or 16 is more realistic though.

• Intrepid

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 7:13 pm

******************************

/////////////////////////////// Remember, if Palmer gets hurt, Lienart has three season ending injuries in his last eight starts, so you’d probably see TP anyway.

• Just Fire Baby

2015 or 16 is more realistic though.

************************

Pryor’s contract is up at the end of 2014.

What makes you think he would resign here, if he was NEVER given the chance to start?

• Chris in NY

DVD is going to be very good. just watch. Great speed and change of direction fluidity. Good length. Those are some of the fundamental building blocks of being a great CB and DVD is aces in those areas. Instincts and ball skills are lacking, but give him time. I think he’s vastly underrated by fans on this board and expectations are way too high for a second year, third-round pick playing possibly one of the most challenging positions in the game.

• Just Fire Baby

Even if Pryor is not ready, he will start a handful of games before his contract is up.

Just the way the NFL works.

• Just Win Baby

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 7:23 pm
    2015 or 16 is more realistic though.

************************

Pryor’s contract is up at the end of 2014.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

We can always tender/ tag the guy if we need to.

• Just Fire Baby

We can always tender/ tag the guy if we need to.

************************

Tender yes, or maybe. 3rd round tenders run about 2-3 million I think. Of course, he doesn’t have to sign it.

Franchise tag?? LMAO. That would probably run around 16-17 million for a QB right now.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Fat Fuk is speaking noe, tune in

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Christie’s father put himself through college on the G.I. bill. Whaaaaaat Lol.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Who knows what will happen between now and and 2015? Houdini may end up being a PB QB and our best option is to tag him.
    I’m just reminding you people of our options.

• Intrepid

Just Win Baby Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Religion, politics, race, and football makes for a pretty lousy tasting goulash.///////////////////Religion, politics, and race got a foothold this time thanks to, once again, one uninsightful race baitng post by KK.

• Just Fire Baby

The option is to play him before his contract is up, so we aren’t just blindly negotiating.

• Raiders for life

I don’t know. I think it’s a bit early to be thinking about putting a tag on Pryor. Heck the dude could get cut at the end of the season.
    Hope not though. I hope Pryor kicks some a$$.

• Intrepid

Think positive, TP may get a lot of mop up duty this year.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Too early for this conversation. He is under contract this season and 2 more seasons after that. We have enough time to evaluate him, and who knows what will happen with Palmer in a few years.

• r8eray

Ain’t that a shame…losing to one of the worse teams in the Central Division/MLB with a 40-88 record!!!!

Lol…

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

Jean Claude Francois Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 6:16 pm
    Raiders will spanketh the Seahawks like a french pastry.
    ———

• Just Fire Baby

A little too quick on the draw there partner.

Got your rally-cap on???

• Just Fire Baby

Too early for this conversation.

*************************

Agreed, plenty of time to let things play out.

Just gotta poke holes in the notion we can just go willy-nilly about it and see if he is ready in 2015.

The suspension last year kind of robbed him and us of one of his 4 years of his rookie contract.

• Twinkle

Religion,politics,race and what’s in our 3rd string QB’s future? Business as usual I see.1Nation #1…………..
    Hullo all,
    Chris in NY Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 7:25 pm

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I hope you are right…..4.27 in the 40 can’t hurt either.

• r8eray

I know…Lol!!!

I just jinxed myself…oh well! Give us a few games to get in sync, then lights out!

Vegas, I got nothin but love for you brother…it’s just them f@ggot @$$ Giants, I can’t stand them!!

• Intrepid

Klas Tjorborn Says: Jean Claude, welcome to land of blogs. Raiders will beat Seahawks like a Swedish meatball.//////////////////Klas, thats the guy some accuse you of being, MR/ the Sullen1.

• Just Fire Baby

Give us a few games to get in sync, then lights out!

****************************

You guys will be one of the top 3 or 4 favorites to win it all next year.

But this year ain’t happening, baseball is not won by just throwing a bunch of dudes together last minute. You need to go through the season together.

• Twinkle

JFB….wonder if there is some way the Team can gain compensation from the commish’s office for that lost season?Or did we know about the the suspension before we drafted him?

• Just Fire Baby

I guess we could have bucked the trend and gave him an extra year over the normal rookie contract.

That’s the issue with a sup pick QB. Not a big deal of he is a DE, you can put him on the field, at least for a few situations.

• Jean Claude Francois

Klas Tjorborn Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 7:58 pm
    Jean Claude Francois Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 6:16 pm
    Raiders will spanketh the Seahawks like a french pastry.
    ———

Merci my amigo. I have much friends in Sweden. I enjoy Swedish meatball very much.

• Twinkle

OK I get it….it was on us to get comp for ourselves.
    How can you know if a prospect…?
    I guess the commish exercising his power of god over a college matter has it’s base in the fact that the colleges are the league farm clubs but it seems weird.
    Private enterprise going judicial on a public school
    matter.

• Jean Claude Francois

I enjoy Swedish meatball very much.

That not sound right…

• RaiderRob

KoolKell Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Fat Fuk is speaking noe, tune in
    —————
    Of course you are.

• JB

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl

Source confirms the #Raiders claimed CB Coye Francies off waivers from the #Seahawks.
    Retweeted by Steve Corkran

Reggie s on the move once again.

• Jean Claude Francois

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl

Retweeted by Steve Corkran
    ############################################
    Francies? He sounds French to me.

Way to go Monsieur Reggie.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Chico,

You are assuming that Palmer will continue to be the starter the next 3 seasons, and you are also assuming that TP will not get a chance to showcase his talents in that period.
    The coaching staff has 3 more seasons to evaluate the kid.

• http://Psych Burton Guster

Klas reminds me of Albert B Paine. Wry sense of humor but firm on his live for the Raiders. That’s right. Except ABP had a few more street smarts. That’s right.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

3 seasons, not 3 more seasons.

• JB

Who’s on the bubble(s)?

• OL – Haslam
    • RB – Goodson/Miler
    • WR – McGee/Carswell
    • TE – Humphrey
    • DL – Davis
    • LB – Burnett
    • CB – Black
    • S – Underwood
    • ST – King/Carmona

• Twinkle

Here’s an interesting site in regards to the fastest 40
    times.I’d read that Bo had run a 4.18 but these folks have upgraded him to a 4.12.

• Twinkle

Never mind …got the wrong link….I’ll post if anyone
    is interested

• Raiders for life

BEREA, Ohio — After a spirited practice, the Cleveland Browns were still in a playful mood so they decided to pull a prank on one of their rookies.

Francies

Coye Francies didn’t care for the joke.

The first-year cornerback, incensed over being soaked with water by some of his teammates, threw a bucket of ice and at least one errant punch during a skirmish in the Browns’ locker room on Friday.

As the Browns returned from practice, a dripping-wet Francies stormed into the locker room lugging a Gatorade bucket full of ice. Before he could be stopped, Francies tossed the ice on cornerback Brandon McDonald, hitting him with cubes that covered the floor.

At that point, it was not clear if Francies was playing along and messing with McDonald.

Then, his mood, and the vibe in the room, turned more serious.

Francies flung some more ice in the direction of safety Mike Adams before heading toward safety Abram Elam’s corner cubicle. With the bucket on the floor, Francies then swung his arms at Elam, who deflected the blows. Pro Bowl nose tackle Shaun Rogers then stepped in and grabbed Francies by the back of the shirt and escorted him out a side door as other players came to help.

• http://Psych Yellow99LasagnaBlue4432

All things Raider are Silver and Black. Print that.

• Raiders for life

DeMarcus Van Dyke ‏@D_VanDyke8
    Dear God, Thank You

#######################

1 hour ago. Weird

• JB

Raiders for life Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 8:43 pm

DeMarcus Van Dyke ‏@D_VanDyke8
    Dear God, Thank You

#######################

1 hour ago. Weird
    ***********************

Maybe he just dodged a bubble bullet.

• Raiders for life

I think DVD has better stats then this Coye kid. Not sure whats up with that.

• JB

So far DVD has just been a practice warrior who fizzles during an actual game. He’s fast but also slight of stature. He’s also NOT a great tackler. Kind of sounds like one of Al’s past “fast” CB draftees that can race all over the place but doesn’t do much when he gets there.

• Raiders for life

That brings up another question……The Raiders got down to 75 players but have brought in another 2? How does that work unless they cut down to 73 or did two others get cut? I’m confused now.

• JB

Add 1 cut 1. Basic math at this point.