Parrish practicing with Raiders

By Steve Corkran
Tuesday, August 28th, 2012 at 11:59 am in Oakland Raiders.

Wide receiver/returner Roscoe Parrish is at practice, wearing No. 18, and taking part in all the drills, only hours after he signed with the Raiders.
Parrish is wearing the number last worn by wide receiver Louis Murphy. Parrish’s wore No. 11 with the Buffalo Bills. However, that is taken by kicker Sebastian Janikowski.
Given Parrish had been active and health-free, he is exempt from the three-day acclimation period afforded injured players. Therefore, he is able to practice right away, as well as play in Oakland’s game against the Seattle Seahawks on Thursday night.
We won’t know until after practice how coach Dennis Allen intends to use Parrish and whether Parrish will play Thursday.
Kick returner Jacoby Ford still is recovering from a left foot injury. Punt returner Denarius Moore is fighting through a lingering hamstring injury.
At this point, it’s not a stretch to envision Parrish handling all return duties in the regular-season opener against the San Diego Chargers on Sept. 10.
It’s also not out of the question for Parrish to remain in the fold when Ford and Moore return to full strength, at least on punt returns, his specialty.

– Ford, Moore, defensive tackle Richard Seymour, linebacker Aaron Curry and center Stefen Wisniewski are not practicing. Tight end Richard Gordon returned to practice after missing a stretch with sore ribs.

– Offensive coordinator Greg Knapp and defensive coordinator Jason Tarver are slated to speak with the media this afternoon. So, expect plenty from them in a later post.

– Parrish also is scheduled to address the media soon after practice.

– Today’s practice is the final one before the roster cutdown to 53 players Friday. Therefore, the game Thursday night will be the last chance for players to make a favorable impression upon the coaches.

• Carl Weathers

Dumb as in they could have waited until Friday night…

• Dakota

I can’t find much info on how Bruce Campbell is doing in Carolina, so at least he isn’t kicking azz and taking the starters job at tackle or something.

• Intrepid

Is this what you guys are talking about with Lamarrs’ hair? http://st.snimg.com/image/nfl/headshots/24019-houston-lamarr_large.png

• Thec

146.Carl Weathers Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 1:46 pm
    Dumb move by the discs to cut him knowing our current injury woes with WR/KR’s. Parrish is a weapon in the return game. We need Hoffman to get his is together quick and unleash Parrish against the disc on Monday night!!

++++++++

Parrish should have some interesting details regarding the inner workings of that crack outfit.

• Just Fire Baby

Dakota,

The Carolina Blog is called Cat Scratch Reader, lol.

They had a writeup on Bruce a few weeks back, siting a brain “issue” coming into the combine.

Never heard that before. Not sure if it was an injury or just your run of the mill “issue” of the brain.

• Marks hair

Lamars going Code Ginger!

• bcz24

Parrish hasn’t been a weapon in the return game in a couple of years… The problem isn’t the returners its the guys that are supposed to be creating the holes. We are desperately gonna miss Cartwright this year. I truly hope he gets cut in SF. He was the key on a number of Fords TDs. Jones and Goodson can both be explosive if they can get a block.

Roscoe is a hell of an upgrade over Dmo at PR though, that has just been awful. At least Parrish knows when to fair catch and when to let it go.

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLEEEEEEEEEEEEY

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Hwnrdr Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 1:40 pm
    Raider O Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 1:36 pm
    LOL DJ
    I can listen to AG all day every day, but I get what you are saying. My wife is not too big on soul. She likes heavy metal and Amy lee.

Hey, Amy Lee has a hell of a voice!
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

She does, but I’m not a fan of her music.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Yes thats what I’m talking about. Looks much worse out in the light but KK Munster is gonna pull some strings at the Babrbershop where he is the Supervising General Manager of “sweeping”
    _______

Intrepid Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Is this what you guys are talking about with Lamarrs’ hair?

• bcz24

152.Dakota Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 1:48 pm
    *******************
    I bought that NFL Preseason Live, I checked out old beast… lets just say he has been no more impressive than he was at G for us… first play I watched was him giving up a sack… and just looking dumfounded ast to what happened.

• Dakota

155.Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 1:52 pm
    Dakota,

The Carolina Blog is called Cat Scratch Reader, lol.

++++++++++++++

Wonderlicphoma?

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

KoolKell Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 12:28 pm
    From what I see, Streater would be my first choice on 3rd down. Looks like he and Palmer have a thang going on.
    —–
    First intelligent thing you’ve posted. Are you sober?

• Dakota

161.bcz24 Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 1:54 pm

______________

I know what look you are talking about….I like to call that look the “Tyvon”.

• bcz24

Our special teams has been down right awful thus far. I mean, Eddie Carmona has a better FG % from + 50 than Seabass does from +30… coverage on returns will improve in season because you wont have scrubs from the bottom 20 positions working teams, you will have some better guys, but blocking for returns has been awful and the leagues best kickers have been outshined by some udfa’s

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

I like Houston’s hair.

• bcz24

You are gonna change your tune on Tyvon this year.

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLEEEEEEEEEEEEY

• Dakota

Am I imagining things, or has the Knapp imposed “Carson Palmer Bootleg” play disappeared?

• RAIDERMAN99

After watching the Detroit game again, I just don’t see how DVD sticks.

Not only has his coverage been piss poor, he’s so freaking light and weak it’s almost comical.

Take another look at the play at about 14:15 of the 4th qtr.

Pass to the TE adjacent to the defensive right sideline. DVD attempts to knock the TE who is tightroping the sideline, out of bounds. TE swats him like a fly, DVD is knocked on his ass. DVD is a puny gnat.

Luckily the play got called back on a hold.

Before the pre-season began I gave DVD a good chance at winning the RCB battle. Now I can’t see him making the roster. What a disappointment.

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

LMAO, Herm Edwards call Norv Turner an elite coach. Last time Klas checked, elite coaches won Super Bowls.

• DennisAllensVisor

Dakota Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 2:00 pm

—-

Well they havent really run the stretch either, thats the setup for it..

In no way do I expect them to run their regular plays in pre-season games..

• Dakota

167.bcz24 Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 1:58 pm
    You are gonna change your tune on Tyvon this year.
    ++++++++

You saw him do the “Tyvon” in the end zone again didn’t you? I know it was zone, but there was no one else near you….cover someone for fks sake!

I hope he can get it together this season. He made a nice open field tackle in the game that would have been a big play, so at least there was that.

• Dakota

172.DennisAllensVisor Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 2:02 pm
    Dakota Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 2:00 pm

—-

Well they havent really run the stretch either, thats the setup for it..

In no way do I expect them to run their regular plays in pre-season games..

+++++++++

They ran it earlier in the preseason…..but you are right, they are probably hiding it…..hope that schyyyt works.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Dakota Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 2:00 pm

————————
    Yeah, I noticed the same thing.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

It looked like Knapp still refuses to run straight ahead on the goal line though.

• realtruraider

After watching the Detroit game again, I just don’t see how DVD sticks.

——————————————————

Lol. after rewatching I don’t see how Checkwa sticks. he was by far the worst player on defense in that game. Moore was lovin him some Checkwa, no doubt.

DVD played better in coverage than the last couple games, but he needs to tackle better. he has way to much upside to cut already, he has showed the coaches what he can do, now he has to do it in a game and show the fans.

• RAIDERMAN99

===============================================
    I hope so. And next in line, Knapp should disappear.

Greg Knapp sux. His play calling stinks.

Watch the end of the first half again. The possession that the Raids got the 54 yd FG. The play call on the pass that Myers dropped is absolute CRAP. Not a chance in the world at gaining any yardage and if it’s caught the clock is running.

Piss poor call from a piss poor coordinator.

Kudos to Taiwan for his vault to get out of bounds and enable the FG attempt.

Don’t want to hear anything more about Knapp being OK bcz the Raids racked up yards. Knapp sucks. His play calling is crap. His offensive style stinks. He’ll run pass routes short of a first down on 3rd all day long.

He’s an ass clown that needs to go.

• Gdog

DJ Johnny Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Is anynoe concerned that Jano has missed TWO chip shot field goals in the preseason?
    >>>>

If memory serves me correctly, he’s always looked pretty bad in practice games.

• Just Fire Baby

RM99,

Not only is Slo-mania going to sweep over the AFC West, but Knapp is going to put up more points this year, than we scored last year.

• RaiderLen

Realtruraider Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 2:11 pm
    After watching the Detroit game again, I just don’t see how DVD sticks.

——————————————————

————————————————
    Afternoon Fellas,

I didn’t watch Checkwa, but DVD looked real bad in his attempts at making a tackle.

Deion Sanderrs didn’t tackle much during the regular season back in the day, but come playoff time he did and did it well.

DVD ain’t Deion Sanders, and He can’t tackle period.

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

Kirk Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 1:23 pm
    Waive Seymour, Condo, Lechler, and Jano.
    ————————
    Sweet, now we can sign Aaron rogers! lol

• Dakota

176.KoolKell Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 2:11 pm
    +++++++++++++++++++++

Just watch the o-line on those plays, they are shifting backwards away from the goal line or getting blown off the goal line, I can’t tell which….that isn’t the RB’s fault, that is just some crap goal line play by the o line…..or bad scheme.

If you can have a hybrid 3-4 4-3 defenses like some teams, why can’t the o-line have a little power blocking set for when the ball is inside the 3 yard line?

• Gdog

Dakota Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 2:00 pm

>>>>

During practice games.

Do you think coaches show the entire playbook during these games or something?

• Gdog

>>>>

If we gave our strategy away for free in during practice games, don’t you think it might be easier for opposing coaches to game plan?

Please people… over-analyzing practice game play calling is the tool of idiots.

• Just Fire Baby

I watched the Texans play the Saints for a tad, and on one play from about the 4 yard line, they ran one of those long-winded counter ZBS plays for Foster, and he basically walked into the end zone. Never even had to get into a light jog.

I don’t think it is Knapp as the issue, it is Briesel and Parson getting manhandled.

• realtruraider

Right when Checkwa got in they picked on him and didn’t stop, how could people miss this? Maybe they will both go, we cut bait last year with a couple 2nd year mid/late round cornerbacks. I myself would keep DVD over Checkwa if I had to choose who to keep.

• RaiderLen

Dakota Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 2:18 pm
    176.KoolKell Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 2:11 pm
    +++++++++++++++++++++

———————————-
    Seriously

You’re working with a compressed field.

The ZBS is about exploiting cut back lanes and SPACE.

Last time I checked, there wasn’t much space around the goal line.

• Dakota

184.Gdog Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 2:19 pm
    Dakota Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 2:00 pm

>>>>

During practice games.

Do you think coaches show the entire playbook during these games or something?

+++++++++++++

They already ran the plays earlier in preseason, so why not run the same plays again to see if it works against live competition? See if you can get better at it at least? You can’t un-run a play you already showed the world in your first two preseason games can you?

• RAIDERMAN99

Hey, Checkwa looked lousy too, but at least he can make a tackle and play some special teams.

Was playing gunner and was first down and nearly recovered a bobbled punt.

DVD has done NOTHING but get abused.

Hope to heck he really had a great camp, bcz based on his game performance alone – he’s history.

• Just Fire Baby

DVD is another of these “high ceiling” guys that I guess we are just supposed to stash on the 53 man roster and have him inactive on gamedays, in the hopes he can start in 2015 or something.

F all that.

• Dakota

191.Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 2:22 pm

F all that.
    ++++++++++++++++++++

Hey, Reggie can’t rid the roster of all of the Al Davis garbage in one season…..some of the fans would stroke out! (can’t wait until they get a better broadcast crew though…smh….watching those games listening to those guys slur their words and be 5 seconds behind the play is tiresome)

• realtruraider

Nnamdi looked awful his first few years, just sayin.

• realtruraider

Running the ZBS from 5 yards out is a lil different than from the 1.

• Just Fire Baby

*******************************

I like Papa a lot but he has been waaaay off on some calls this preseason.

He was going ape in the AZ game because he thought intentional grounding isn’t a spot foul.

Then this past game, he is thinking personal foul’s aren’t supposed to be half the distance to the goal unless you are inside the 15.

So Greg, personal foul on the 16 yard line takes you to the 1, but from the 14 yard line, you only go to the 7??

WTF is smoking?

• oakfoshow

Every year I get to here people picking some unknown player to be the next star,or take somebody elses posistion as starter.Heard it about nick miller, David Ausberry.On and on.Rod streater ia undrafted rookie!He will not be a #1 receiver over Heyward-bey or Moore.Jeeez that crap drives me nuts.

• RaiderLen

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 28th, 2012 at 2:22 pm

F all that.
    ————————————-
    If DVD were drafted by Reggie, maybe the stash is on, but I’d imagine that Reggie wouldn’t draft a guy that can’t make a tackle.

It’s Football, not track.

• oakfoshow

If i here that play 60 bus commercial one more time,im gnna go to the nearest titty bar and take hostages!Somebody shut those goofy kids up already.

• Just Fire Baby

DVD seems like a good kid and a hard-worker, no real issues there.

But I just don’t see how he isn’t playing for his job on Thursday.

• Thec

PATTON allready kicked GK, and the oline in the A$$ for the goaline issues.