Live chat during Raiders game Thursday night

Join Bay Area News Group reporter Steve Corkran for a live chat during the Oakland Raiders’ final exhibition game, Thursday at 7 p.m.

Jon Becker

• JB

JB Says:
    August 29th, 2012 at 3:18 pm

CoopeRaider Says:
    August 29th, 2012 at 3:12 pm

We need to scrap the ZBS at the goal line…anyone else agree with this?
    *********************

I’d like to drop the ZBS entirely. We’ve already been there and done that. Didn’t work well then either. We need beef in the middle. Both Brisel & Carlisle are lightweights (better suited for ZBS) for the guard position. Both are less than 300#.
    ****************

Possibly swap out Carlisle & Brisel for Bergstrom & Nix (313# & 317# respectively). Then trade Brisel for a #2 pick to some other team running ZBS.

• CoopeRaider

I think Cooley has a great, team-first attitude too.

• CoopeRaider

JB….I like your idea about a month and a half ago…it’s go time now…we made our bed, gotta sleep in it now…let’s just make it as comfortable as possible…maybe a featherbed and a down comforter! Lol

• TxRaider210

Whut up Dan? Watching any games tonight?

And maybe some ambien…

• Dakota

I don’t like the ZBS either…..because I don’t think it is the best system for McFadden, but I guess we shall see. The first time we ran it, we didn’t have a QB that could keep the defense honest, so maybe McFadden will still be great in the ZBS now that we have Palmer, and I also think this o-line is better than the previous one when we tried the ZBS.

I have always wanted a GM that would be on the same page as his HC in terms of the system, and allow his coach to hire his assistants, so here it is…..but it did make me sad that Allen went with Knapp and the ZBS.

But at least Reggie will get the players that fit the system, and will not force coaches to run systems they don’t like or obtain players that do not fit the system. As long as there is a 100% commitment to running whatever system they choose the right way, then I guess we just have to see how it turns out.

I would much rather have it this way than with a GM who hires a 3-4 DC then doesn’t give him 3-4 players and then forces him to switch back to a 4-3 and then picks up corners to play man to man when they are better facing the QB in zone etc. Go for it Reggie!

• Dan78

Going to try Tx. what game are you watching

• CoopeRaider

Agree Dakota! Do you think they could make the concession of a power scheme at the goal line…we’ve seen all preseason how well ZBS works on the 1 yard line!

• RAIDERMAN99

I need to come up with a name for Dennis Allen that expresses my appreciation for his rookie head coach status as well as his pubescent, girlish, developing breasts.

Henceforth, I will call him the training bra.

I’m curious to see how much time the training bra will have the starters go on Thursday night.

Anything more than one series on offense will surprise me.

In fact, if I were the training bra, DMAC wouldn’t even see the field.

• TxRaider210

I’ll check out the Cheatriots/Giants game, just for schits.

• CoopeRaider

Just don’t have time to read a block with nobody spread out and everyone in the box proportionally.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

I think McClain is going to shut up his critics, this scheme is going to play to his skillz. He’s a physical guy, who can move around. He won’t be a sitting Duck this year.

• JB

CoopeRaider Says:
    August 29th, 2012 at 3:25 pm

***************************
    Unfortunately you are correct. But, nothing y we can’t run a Power Blocking scheme on the goal-line stands. I’d set up our line as follows (L-R):
    Gordon-Veldheer-Bergstrom-Wiz-Nix-Barksdale-Barnes with Schmidt at FB & Miller at RB. That should be good for at least 2 yards every time.

• Dan78

You know what cracks me up. Is these Chugger fans driving around town with their flags. They think because its preason it counts to be undefeated.

• CoopeRaider

99….where does this inside info on DA’s mammaries?? He looks Skinny to me!

• rob_raider

training brah

• TxRaider210

KK

I would have to agree, 55 should excel this year big time.

• Dan78

As soon as they lose they will start saying what Chugger flags……..

• CoopeRaider

Agree JB….McFadden can get 2 yards every play with a power running game….guy doesn’t get enough credit for moving a pile.

• CoopeRaider

I miss Zach Crockett about now.

• rob_raider

KoolKell Says:
    August 29th, 2012 at 3:30 pm
    ****************

correction–he is CAPABLE of being a physical guy. unfortunately he sits back and watches far too much. he seriously gives poor effort and just kinda runs into or tries to duck around blockers a lot. he COULD do it but i just don’t have faith in him. he’s not mentally strong. too much of a hood rat i think.

• Dan78

I know its 11 days but i want them to smash them already

• Dakota

113.JB Says:
    August 29th, 2012 at 3:30 pm
    CoopeRaider Says:
    August 29th, 2012 at 3:25 pm

***************************

+++++++++++++++++++++++

I agree with this idea. no reason you can’t switch it up near the goal line. Teams have 3-4 packages, and 4 WR sets, and the Wildcat etc….no reason you can’t have a goal line package that gets the job done.

Hopefully, it is just a matter of getting Wiz back in the lineup, but if not, something will have to be done.

• CoopeRaider

Rob-raider….couldn’t disagree with you more.

• Dan78

Has anyone heard from Rockstar?

• TxRaider210

I don’t think the team was showing any goal line tricks so far, should change in a real game though.

• TxRaider210

Dan

I want to say RR was posting a couple days ago, briefly.

• rob_raider

but wheeler has looked tremendous and burris seems to be catching up to the speed of the game and i love his aggressiveness. curry would be a possible improvement over mcclain but he’s not all that instinctive. the other guys, goethel (a tad slow), stupar (rookie on the bubble), ihenacho (more of a pass rusher), and kilgore/burnett (bubble guys) aren’t probably the answer either.

i do hope i’m wrong about mcclain (but i’m almost never wrong)

• CoopeRaider

Allen seems to be the kind or coach which can change things up to suit strengths/weaknesses….did it in Denver to perfection and if you say he didn’t actually do it himself at least he saw first hand that it works. Denver last year was the appitome of playing the hand you’re delt. I have faith.

• rob_raider

CoopeRaider Says:
    August 29th, 2012 at 3:35 pm
    Rob-raider….couldn’t disagree with you more.

_____________

how so?

• CoopeRaider

126-TX….agree! Preseason is nothing to read into….ever!

• JB

CoopeRaider Says:
    August 29th, 2012 at 3:33 pm

********************

I don’t know if I’d want to risk DMac from getting hurt in the big goal-line pile-ups. There’s a lot of nasty schit that goes on in the scrum. If the goal is to score & we can use a Miller for running with the monster elephant line-up and accomplish the goal without risking DMac, that would be my choice.

• CoopeRaider

Rob…I think McLain just is a slow learner….but he will pick it up and he’s a beast. He will pan out…he would have never been successful in the SEC otherwise.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

McClain’s already proven to be a good blitzer. I think he’s better in attack mode, than lining up in the same place down after down with a target on his back by OC’s

Miller will be cut

• Dan78

Hey Tx I really think the Raiders will dominate the Chargers just an inkling I have.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

KoolKell Says:
    August 29th, 2012 at 3:30 pm

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Lets hope your right swabby.
    I’ve always liked the guy but he’s been way too immature and needs to grow up some.

• rob_raider

guys–sometimes a bruiser doesn’t necessarily make a great goal line back. marcus allen was a great goal line back. lots of smaller backs were. dmc will be fine there.

• JB

If not Miller then Goodson.

• TxRaider210

Yep, although some players may stumble a bit, this team looks pretty solid to me.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

He a Butkus award winner. Nick Saban says he’s a film rat and very instinctual………….

• CoopeRaider

Rob—-ie. almost never wrong…I’m taking you to Vegas with me….Rainman took down an entire Casino and he was a ratard…..RETARD YOU IDIOT!!’ lol

• RAIDERMAN99

TxRaider210 Says:
    August 29th, 2012 at 3:29 pm
    I’ll check out the Cheatriots/Giants game, just for schits.
    ==================================================
    I actually enjoy these pre-season games. Enjoy scoping the rookies and trying to evaluate the teams.

Ordinarily, I’d be watching this matchup hoping to see the Giants snap one of Brady’s legs and knock him out for the year. Not much of a chance for that since he’ll only get a series or maybe not even play.

• theghostronin79

===========

The pitch to McFadden is almost automatic. He’s too fast. He may have to run 20 yards in a straight line to gain 3 for the TD but….Everytime they’ve done it, it’s worked.

• CoopeRaider

I love watching preseason Raiders with TP on the field…not saying he’s close to starter material but fun to watch!

• TxRaider210

Dan

I don’t wish any player to go down, but I don’t see Rivers standing a chance against the front 7.imo

• rob_raider

CoopeRaider Says:
    August 29th, 2012 at 3:39 pm

*****************

there have been tons of guys who were successful in the SEC and weren’t in the nfl. just watch him. he sits back and watches. slow to react. when he does take off, lots of times he runs past the play or just takes on a blocker. i just don’t think he cares all that much. i hope i’m wrong, but so far in career, he has not done enough for me. he is an enigma b/c he does make plays at times. and his tackle total went up last year. if he gets to about 120 tackles this season, he will be on his way. i still have hope, but less than i did at one time.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Hell, Jerry told us some time ago that McClain is a film rat.
    I think maybe he’s going to respond better to the new coaching.

• rob_raider

KoolKell Says:
    August 29th, 2012 at 3:41 pm

**************

yes, but it hasn’t translated yet. hopefully it will, but i haven’t been overly impressed this preseason. he’s done ok but not great at all.

• CoopeRaider

147….his mind is slow, not body….it’s hard to play fast when your brain is tying to process info. Just my opinion…you may be right but I’m hoping for the best.