Raiders sign three free agents, cut three from 53-man roster

By Steve Corkran
Saturday, September 1st, 2012 at 11:20 am in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders signed offensive tackle Willie Smith, linebacker Keenan Clayton and cornerback Philip Adams on Saturday, one day after they pared their roster to 53 players.
They waived cornerbacks Chimdi Chekwa and Bryan McCann and waived/injured defensive tackle Jamie Cumbie to make room for the aforementioned trio on the 53-man roster.
Clayton appeared in 21 games for the Philadelphia Eagles over the past two seasons. Adams played in 21 games for the 49ers, New England Patriots and Seattle Seahawks. Clayton started one game. Adams has no starts as an NFL player.
Smith appeared in four games for the Redskins last season, of which three he started. He is 6-foot-6 and 310 pounds.
The Raiders have not announced any roster moves since they pared 22 players from the 75-man roster in reaching compliance with the league-mandated maximum of 53 on Friday night.
For every player signed from here on out, the Raiders are required to release a player from their roster.
In other news, look for the Raiders to begin signing players to their practice squad today. Teams are permitted to sign as many as eight players to their practice squad.
Likely candidates include linebackers Nathan Stupar and Chad Kilgore, defensive tackle Dominique Hamilton, wide receivers Derek Carrier and Travionte Session and kicker Eddy Carmona.

• oakfoshow

Carson will be fine huh?Have you been watching latley smart guy?

• MiamiRaider78

We all know Palmer’s going to toss 14-17 interceptions, just hope he can offset that with 28-30 TD’s.

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

Raidersmartone Says:
    September 1st, 2012 at 12:20 pm
    according from the l.a.times and the o.c. times tht mark davis president and the minority owner of the oakland raiders have been frquently back and forth in the l.a. area trying to negoitiate a joint partnership with the l.a. dogders organization and with ed roski owner founder and the builder of the world famous staples center on a joint state of the art football/baseball stadium rite next door to the lakers venue.it has been reported that both parties involved are in heavily in talks trying to work out all the kinks and probably will have a final proposal at the end of this fall.HAHA,now im going to have the lakers,raiders,only twenty minutes from my house!EXCELLENTTTTT….gotta love l.a.

===============================================

Not sure where you’re getting your information from, but that has to be bogus. Ed Roski’s proposed Los Angeles Stadium has nothing to do with AEG’s proposed Farmer’s Field by the Staples Center. In fact, the two groups are competing with each other.

• big pep

Hahaha, PENN STATE, getting there butt tore up by OHIO. I bet MM34 is happy.

• No Mas Diamante

Carson will be fine. It’s preseason. And murphy sucked. You are not smart. rather the opposite.

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

Big Pep Says:
    September 1st, 2012 at 12:27 pm
    Hahaha, PENN STATE, getting there butt tore up by OHIO. I bet MM34 is happy.

=========================================

That’s either a nasty pun or a poor choice of words. Not sure which.

• da trinity

@97
    Hell yea

• oakfoshow

Real city with real fans.Manly type fans.When we come home i hope some of these bay area,or is it gay area fans just stay home,cause you will get smashed around L.A.

• http://reverbnation.com/avion Aviontheone

Given Knapp’s history here before, I don’t know if we are going to be throwing the ball enough for Palmer to chuck 14-17 INT’s. Looks like we are going to run, run, run, this year.

• oakfoshow

Yea, thats why murphy will be starting in carolina huh.We cant even figure out whos healthy here yet.Please shut up taco bell.

• Just Fire Baby

Watch the games bra media reports are garbage

***************************

I’ve watched plenty of his games, and I have said MANY TIMES, I really like his game.

I just don’t get you with this “athletic” QB stuff.

You think Geno Smith is a great athlete, and dismiss Jake Locker as an athlete.

Geno Smith will play in the NFL, and be a Tom Brady/Eli Manning Pocket QB once he turns 28 or so and loses that youth.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

RaiderDuck Says:
    September 1st, 2012 at 12:28 pm
    Big Pep Says:
    September 1st, 2012 at 12:27 pm
    Hahaha, PENN STATE, getting there butt tore up by OHIO. I bet MM34 is happy.

=========================================

That’s either a nasty pun or a poor choice of words. Not sure which.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

LOL
    You People are funny.

• Just Fire Baby

I didn’t like the Murphy trade, and picked up Lou in the last round of my FFL.

But he is the #4 WR in Carolina right now, not a starter. Not yet at least, but could happen.

• oakfoshow

It will.

• da trinity

When I went to the oak vs sd I Oakland last year. I went to a place in Oakland famous for ice cream (can’t remember the places name) some guy who somehow realised I was from Socal told me to take the Raiders back with me. That Oakland didn’t want them. SMH.

• Just Fire Baby

Hopefully this is the season that gets Tedford canned.

I am sick of his act.

• oakfoshow

You should have told him,you will get your wish soon.

• da trinity

@108
    As long as they come respectful, they will be alright

• The Oracle

Raiders claimed LB Keenan Clayton off waivers from the Eagles.Clayton tallied 31 tackles in 14 games last season. -KFFL

• da trinity

@117
    Well weather they remain in the bay area or love to that Mighty Socal, there my team. I want them in L.A. so I can get season tickets but if they remain in Oaktown, ill bust that mission once a year Fosho.

• oakfoshow

One week to raiderball,one week till harvest time,one week till hunting season.I love the fall.

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

The Oracle Says:
    September 1st, 2012 at 12:38 pm

===========================================

There goes Chekwa, DVD or Francies, I’m assuming…

• GoPlayOnTheTracks

y’all have biscuits in Oakland?

• Marks hair

You cant edit the rosters on madden13… so enjoy our 76 team rating… and dmacs big 86 rating… pfffrrtt

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

And for anyone bagging on our shopping spree: Jets GM Tannenbaum calls today the “mini-draft.”

• Just Fire Baby

I want to see who the two cuts are.

I will go with Barksdale and Francois

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 1st, 2012 at 12:43 pm
    I want to see who the two cuts are.

I will go with Barksdale and Francois

====================================

Nix is more likely than Barksdale, because he can be PSed and because we’re short of tackles otherwise.

• MiamiRaider78

Aviontheone Says:
    September 1st, 2012 at 12:30 pm

————————
    Hope history doesn’t repeat itself. I mean, he has to have learned something from his poorly ranked offense he’s had in the past? Change it up Knapp, don’t be so stubborn!

• big pep

Settle down boys, just football.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 1st, 2012 at 12:31 pm
    Watch the games bra media reports are garbage

***************************

I just don’t get you with this “athletic” QB stuff.

You think Geno Smith is a great athlete, and dismiss Jake Locker as an athlete.

……

I have never dismissed locker as an athlete just not a big fan of him as a qb.

• MiamiRaider78

Canes let BC march down the field like nothing…first play on offense=false start. Way to go!

• Just Fire Baby

I think Locker is going to be pretty good this year.

• da trinity

@124
    That’s why you get the online updated roster. There always updating the roster

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

You really can’t blame big mck for keeping Palmer. We are basically stuck with him this season. Becuase of what we gave up to get him & the fact that they had no one behind him forced the raiders hand in that regard.

The other issue is that every time Carson has hit the field for the raiders his stock drops. He basically has no trade value today as a result of his putrid play

• da trinity

Mistic
    Is it cuz Locker not black

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 1st, 2012 at 12:47 pm
    I think Locker is going to be pretty good this year.
    ….

We will see, I think he will flop after a couple of inconsistent years. Actually I think passing is his weak spot & in college he lacked the one major thing I like in qbs the clutch gene. He was a bit of a shrinkage guy, this is why I liked Pryor ahead of locker. Good athletes,accuracy needs work but Pryor has the clutch gene

• Intrepid

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says: Davis vetoed hujac trying to bring in Palmer & other bungle rejects.////////////No he didn’t. Davis brought in Huejack because of his ties to Cincy and already had his eye on a disgruntled Palmer. Yes, he talked up Campbell but he had no choice ‘cuz the Bruce wasnot Al’s kind of QB and he finally came to accept that Jurassic Russell was a complete waste of skin. This was all documented by Seymour Bush.

• oakfoshow

Its hillarios that 8 months ago everybody in here was saying IN HUE WE TRUST.Now its Reggies bottom lip will fix everything.

• Intrepid

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says: putrid play? /////////Last 4 games 2nd highest QB rating in the entire NFL. You got an agenda , Mistic?

• Pale Rider

Check it out

• zopi

I don’t know the exact amount, but it’s obvious that Seymour and Palmer have the highest salaries on the team, both journeyman veterans who, at least with Seymour, had some good seasons. I don’t know how much of % they both amount too in the overall payroll and caps, but I am sure is significant, and how much of those salaries are owed if they are waived or retired, in the case of Seymour.

So it would be obvious that Raiders fans would expect these two players to excel and put their respective units on their backs. If let’s say, either one of them still has another excellent year left in their tanks.

I know this is unrealistic for Seymour with arthritic knees or tendonitis to lead with his on the field play, for what it seems in pre-season, we’ll probably see limited action until he finally breaks down.

With Palmer, if indeed has another pro bowl-season like, it would merit the hope, but that was a long time ago, and he has been more in a decline in the last four years. Whether or not he has another one left in him, he’ll be highly exposed in the Knapp offense, unless DMAC is made the centerpiece of the offense, defenses will be coming after Palmer, he’d better be ready to move.

• The Oracle

Keenan Clayton tape for the semi’s:

• Raidernationdave

I got friends and relatives that went USC – heck my Gm is an alum.

Al was SC. F the rest! Sorry O. It’s primal!

++++++++++++++

Raider O Says:
    September 1st, 2012 at 11:40 am
    Dave,

SC?
    My dad was a fan, so I don’t hate them.

Go Buckeyes!!!
    Damn you Mich.

• Raidernationdave

Yep. That’s about right.

++++++++++++++++

Da Trinity Says:
    September 1st, 2012 at 11:41 am
    RAIDERS, USC, Dodgers, L.A. kings, Lakers

• bigdaddy

Here’s the skinny on Willie Smith. I have known him personally since he was a kid. Tremendous physical specimen. Hard worker. Excellent character. The rap on him always was that he didn’t play enough on the OL at ECU. Now he has the experience from playing for the skins. Had three really good starts after the starting fool failed a drug test (duh–middle of the season). Skins picked up Black out of nowhere to take Willie’s spot. Probably a Shanahan move, since Willie was progressing well. Willie will learn the position and do well because he is hungry and talented. Needs work on foot movement. NOTE: Willie will never get arrested, suspended, fail a drug test or beat up his wife. He just won’t.

• RaiderSam

Raidersmartone Says:
    September 1st, 2012 at 12:20 pm
    ==========

Never believe till ground is broken. YEARS FROM NOW, BRUH.

• RaiderSam

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    September 1st, 2012 at 12:52 pm
    Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 1st, 2012 at 12:47 pm
    I think Locker is going to be pretty good this year.
    ….

===================

He’s got a clutch ego and has chewing gum at the podium during press conferences down to a tee.

• Pingback: denver kids photographers