By Steve Corkran
Monday, September 3rd, 2012 at 10:35 am in Oakland Raiders.
The Raiders confirmed the waiving of second-year cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke and the signing of veteran cornerback Joselio Hanson on Monday.
What’s more, Hanson is practicing today, wearing No. 29. He is projected as a nickel corner, someone capable of covering the slot receiver, much as he did with the Philadelphia Eagles.
Hanson is one of six new cornerbacks on Oakland’s roster this year. It’s worth noting that Oakland’s top five cornerbacks from 2011 are gone: Stanford Routt (Chiefs), Chris Johnson (unsigned), Lito Sheppard (unsigned), Van Dyke (free agent) and Chimdi Chekwa (Raiders practice squad).
The other new cornerbacks on Oakland’s roster are: Phillip Adams, Coye Francies, Ron Bartell, Shawntae Spencer and Pat Lee.
– Adams is wearing No. 28, linebacker Keenan Clayton No. 57, cornerback Coye Francies No. 31 and offensive tackle Willie Smith No. 79.
– Center Stefen Wisniewski returned to practice after being sidelined since Aug. 13 with a calf injury he suffered against the Dallas Cowboys.
However, it was Alex Parsons working with the first-team offense and Colin Miller with the second-team offense.
– Wide receivers Denarius Moore (hamstring) and Jacoby Ford (foot) and linebacker Aaron Curry (knees) are not practicing. Curry and Moore worked with a team trainer at the start of practice, off to the side. Ford wasn’t spotted doing any working out.
– Defensive tackle Richard Seymour practiced for the first time since he appeared in a game against the Arizona Cardinals on Aug. 17. He has been sidelined with a sore knee.
– Wide receiver Juron Criner is at practice. However, it’s obvious that he is at less than full strength. He ran pass routes but he appeared to be limping quite a bit. We shall seek an update from coach Dennis Allen in 90 minutes or so.
– Today is Oakland’s first practice since Aug. 28. It also marks the beginning of preparation for the San Diego Chargers in earnest, with the regular-season opener a week from today.
The Raiders practice today and Tuesday, before taking a day off Wednesday. They return for practices Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
– Follow me on Twitter: @corkonthenfl