Reports: Raiders meeting with veteran WR, work out TE

By Steve Corkran
Wednesday, September 5th, 2012 at 11:31 am in Oakland Raiders.

With the prospect of only two healthy wide receivers for the regular-season opener, the Raiders reportedly had in for a visit veteran Jabar Gaffney today.
Starter Darrius Heyward-Bey and rookie Rod Streater are the only wide receivers among the five on Oakland’s 53-man roster at 100 percent right now and certain to play Monday night against the San Diego Chargers.
Projected starter Denarius Moore has missed more than a month with a hamstring injury. Number three receiver Jacoby Ford hasn’t practiced or played in a game since he suffered a left foot injury Aug. 17. Rookie Juron Criner suffered an ankle sprain in Oakland’s exhibition finale.
In Gaffney, 31, the Raiders see a veteran that is capable of stepping in right away and producing at a pretty high level. He caught 68 passes for 947 yards in 16 games for the Washington Redskins last season.
The New England Patriots signed Gaffney in the offseason, but they released him Aug. 27. Since that time, Gaffney also has worked out for the Miami Dolphins.
One potential sticking point is, if the Raiders were to sign Gaffney before the regular season starts, Gaffney’s base salary for 2012 would be guaranteed. The Raiders, like other teams, might take their chances and wait until after the first game before making such a move.
However, the Raiders are in a bind right now, especially if one, two or three of their injured receivers can’t play Monday night.
Coach Dennis Allen said he Criner will be fine and that he is hopeful of getting back Moore and Ford. Keep in mind, though, that Moore started running only this past weekend and that Ford jogged Tuesday for the first time since his injury.
In other news, the Raiders reportedly worked out tight end Fendi Onobun today. The Buffalo Bills waived Onobun last week.
Onobun, 25, played three games for the St. Louis Rams in 2010, catching two passes for 15 yards. He played in one game for the Jacksonville Jaguars last season, without catching any passes. He also spent time with the Buffalo Bills in 2011.
Finally, quarterback Carson Palmer, running back Darren McFadden, defensive tackles Richard Seymour and Tommy Kelly and punter Shane Lechler were elected captains for this year’s Raiders team.

• 303Raider

Jus read the new SI. Peter King picked the Donks vs GB. You know that prediction ain’t gonna happen!

• Plunketthead

Bob Marley see what Lee is doing?
    FF terror

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

Kell must have pooped pants or fell down drunk.

• Intrepid

He could do both.

• PurpleDrank81

Blog Intevention on Kell????

We can do it at Rickeys in San Leandro… I’ll even help fly KLAS out.

• oakfoshow

#434 Fish was 28″ long,11 lbs.before filleting.Not flushing it.

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

PurpleDrank81 Says:
    September 5th, 2012 at 6:03 pm
    Blog Intevention on Kell????

We can do it at Rickeys in San Leandro… I’ll even help fly KLAS out.
    ——
    AWESOME!

• PurpleDrank81

My bad bro thought it was a Gold Fish lol

• PurpleDrank81

I guarantee if everyone on this blog met up there would be at least 2 fights….

So much anger…. I think people should run with the GREEN/PURPLE Party and Relax

• oakfoshow

Bulldog is out of control,killed a possum the other night.

• Intrepid

You don’t have a funeral to inter your dead goldfish?

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

Good idea PurpleDrank! Klas is going to hit the bong and forget about crazy old drunk man.

• oakfoshow

Guarentee Id fight anyway,and win.

• PurpleDrank81

I like Bulldogs… Was gonna buy 1 along time ago but the breathing and heart issues kept me from doing it.. Found me a Lab/Mastiff puppy at the Pick and Pull in Richmond and have had him for 10 years

• PurpleDrank81

Why so hostile OAK?

• oakfoshow

Reddrum,Here in Florida redfish.Sweet fighter,good eater.

• 303Raider

Peter king also picked us last in the division at 6-10. That’s good, we need as many doubters as possible!!

• Carl Weathers

427.PurpleDrank81 Says:
    September 5th, 2012 at 5:42 pm
    TX Do you agree with this:

Uncle Kell= Jim Lahey

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Hahaha Lahey!! Get me to the LC Rand!

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

Peter King is dumb blowhard.

• 303Raider

Anyone. Who talks about how great a fighter they are on a Blog is a retard. Drink some tequila and fight yourself in the basement.

• oakfoshow

Breathing can be an issue,got to find a really good breeder for a really healhy bulldog.Will pay out your a$$.I paid 3,800,but hes the original old english.100lbs. Absolute nightmare.

• Just Fire Baby

You just can’t run it on 4th and 1′s as simplisticly as you used to.

D-lines are too good.

• oakfoshow

303.thats cause anybody could woop your little a$$.

• oakfoshow

I mean #470..Been drinken

• Raid uh Max

Told you Cruz was a bust. He dropped that pass straight to him. Cowboys just suck

• Carl Weathers

467.303Raider Says:
    September 5th, 2012 at 6:11 pm

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Gannon picked us to go 7-9 & Adam Schein 6-10.

back to back 8-8 seasons with a revamped defense Palmer to start the year with a healthy DMC and people think we’re gonna take a couple steps backwards?! Muhahahaha! How does Mannings bag taste?

• qodrn1

Does Ricky’s still have a table for Al?

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

Final score:

Giants 7 Cowboys 0

• Carl Weathers

Is this LB Rivers the guy who was drafted top 5 by the Bungles a few years ago?

• oakfoshow

Backwards on offense for sure.476

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

Nice throw Romo

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

Gimme Victor Cruz TD for Klas!

• Just Fire Baby

Three different short yardage, 1 or 2 yards to go run plays from these teams, and each one lost yardage.

3rd and 1 is almost a passing situation these days.

• Plunketthead

46.Blackholepriest Says:
    March 28th, 2008 at 10:39 pm
    He is the obvious choice to you guy’s unfortunately you wont be making that pick.

Listen I like Mcfadden just not as much as you do. You guy’s think he’s capable of all kinds of things and I disagree I think he’s a speed back and that’s it.

I want a lot of things but they knw what that team needs and if I knew what they were thinking I wouldn’t put it in here. Personally I like Ellis, Dorsey, Gholston, Long and the OT Long.

McFadden is just not a dominant HB IMO and for my money there’s no way I draft him that high if he’s not.
    We have what I feel is a dominant HB in Mb and a great change of pace back in Fargas. As far as versatility MB is much more so than DMC, and he can pass as well as DMC. He’s just a much better player.

• Raid uh Max

Giants 13 cowboys 0

Klass I right tho. Boring game, can’t wait for Monday

• oakfoshow

Rob Ryan still such a loud mouth fat fk.I never could stand all his screaming and head shaking.Not to mention he really sucks at his job.

• DJ Johnny

“F yeah. F yeah. Shove it in their fing face” is what I read.

• DJ Johnny

Dallas D looks tuff tho.

• Raidernationdave

Hey Kell have you managed to buy a new bowl for your old lady’s do yet?

As if you have any class at all.

+++++++++++++++++++

KoolKell Says:
    September 5th, 2012 at 5:38 pm
    Scroll up the blog a bit.

What r u talking about? Now I know why everybody hates you…I never came after u with anything before and u type this schytt at me? F-U dik face.

I used to think you were treated unfairly on here at times but now I get it. You r as much of an ahole as people say u are.
    ——————–
    Dumbass conversations, about turds and masturbation. Klas, Beechum Raidernationdave Tx

LowBrow.

• Raid uh Max

Haha Cruz. Dropped it again. I told you you would be sorry. EYE!!!

• TxRaider210

Geez KK melted down in one half of football, I hope a pigeon poops on the red corvette, and not the bird.

• Pingback: Posts about The Raiders From Other Great Blogs issue #1 | Raiders Central | Oakland Raiders Blog