Raiders make it official _ Reece signs extension

Fullback Marcel Reece has signed a contract extension to remain with the Raiders beyond the 2012 season, the club announced Tuesday.

Terms and length of the deal which was first reported by CBS Sports Monday were not disclosed.

Reece was a Pro Bowl alternate fullback in 2011 despite missing four games due to injury. He caught 27 passes for 310 yards and is the most versatile player at his position.

A wide receiver in college at Washington, Reece, 6-foot-2, 250 pounds, can go in motion or be split as a wide receiver, as he did on occasion in Oakland’s season-opening 22-14 loss to the San Diego Chargers.

Reece, who caught two passes for 24 yards against San Diego, was scheduled to make $540,000 this season. An exclusive rights free agent, Reece did not immediately sign his tender and missed some time in the offseason.

With no leverage, Reece eventually reported in the hopes the Raiders would bargain in good faith and work toward a new deal.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• nyraider

Hwnrdr Says:
    September 11th, 2012 at 11:56 am

As of right now…none of this, im my opinion is Reggie’s fault! Well, except letting DA hire KNapp…

————————————-
    Letting Wimbley go was whos decision? not having a back up snapper on the roster has nothing to do with a gm? Having an undrafted rookie WR start when you knew for a month your top 2 out of 3 WRs would be out with good quality vet WRs sitting out there has to fall on the GM. The cap is such an excuse, he could have cut TK or Seymour and saved enough money to bring in playmakers at the CB and WR position. not to mention his 3rd round draft choice doesnt look good either. . These are his responsibilities and he gets a pass? wait till dmac gets hurt and your watching tawain jones fumble twice a game and then youll be giving reggie a pass for lack of depth at the rb position too.

• JT

XHOWIE75x Says:
    September 11th, 2012 at 12:07 pm
    Been a long time reader of this blog going back five or six years now. But felt I had to comment after last nights game.

I hate to keep beating a dead horse but if you remember, before Hue we were terrible against the AFC West. I dont even know the infamous record we had from 2003 thru 2009.

As soon as Hue took over our offense we were 9-3 against our AFC west foes. Cant ignore those facts. I will take that over a two period against our division rivals any day.

Last night looked like the team from 2007. Sad sad day my nation brothers. 1 step forward 3 steps back.

well said. Hue made that offense tough, and its the reason we had SD’s numbers there for a while. Now its back to same ol same ol

• TxRaider210

I have never been sold on Taiwan, personally. He’s injury prone in general and had the major blunder last night. We need a bruising back so that DMC can survive, make it happen Reg!

• TBRaiders

FWIW, I am sad and angry that we lost last night. I’m not thrilled with our inability to establish the run with this cut blocking, not happy with the reverse play that lost mega yards and killed our momentum, and not happy with the dink and stink passing game.

BUT, I am happy with how our defense played against the run. I am happy that outside of Kelly’s two bonehead penalties we mostly played smart football. I thought Streater and Burris played great for rookies and Hagan came in and contributed right away. Palmer looked sharp most of the game, even though he didn’t have all his playmakers available.

I’d like to see better coverage from our secondary, especially quicker adjustments when Rivers was hitting so much underneath stuff or the quick outs. We didn’t pressure Rivers consistently as much as I expected we would, but we did get to see glimpses of what our pass rush is capable of doing and got some solid pressures and hits on him.

I’d also like to see some serious adjustments to our play calling and blocking. For all of Hue’s faults, the thing he did best was ask the players what plays they liked best and make them take ownership of those plays. McFadden is our star and we need to run the plays suited to his strengths.

I am not going to go down the doom and gloom road. This was one game and we have plenty more (currently) to get it together.

• Marks hair

Put your pants was the gayest jinx EVER!

• TxRaider210

Well said, we still have time to PUT YOUR PANTS! After the bitterness wears off, all we can take are the positives from the game and move forward.

• RaiderRetribution

If the special teams coach is getting paid anymore than minimum wage, his contract is out of whack!

• Haters going to hate

Anyone else notice the LG on SD was moving the whole game?

Watch TK’s second offside at 35 seconds, you can see the LG drop his should and the LDT jump because that’s in his line of site.

Even at SD’s touchdown he flinches at 1:15

• DKnight007

352.JT Says:
    September 11th, 2012 at 12:10 pm
    XHOWIE75x Says:
    September 11th, 2012 at 12:07 pm

^^^^^^^^
    Yep.

Hue was turning the team around and all he needed was a REAL DC and more discipline.

I thought DA and this new ERA were going to clean up the discipline problems??

Yeah right.

The Knapp hire and switching to his whack old new offensive playbook has already proven to be a bad move.

Not keeping Bush around will prove costly as well. Knapp wouldn’t know how to use Bush anyways and he will get DMC killed!

• xHOWIE75x

352.JT Says:
    September 11th, 2012 at 12:10 pm
    XHOWIE75x Says:
    September 11th, 2012 at 12:07 pm

^^^^^^^^
    Yep.

I thought DA and this new ERA were going to clean up the discipline problems??

Yeah right.

—————-

Like I said, I hate looking into the past and like to move forward.

But last night, I could not help myself thinking how we would do against that SD defense with our scheme from last year.

Like someone mentioned a few weeks ago, that no huddle game plan against SD on Thursday night was pure fire!!

We were fast, throwing the deep ball, keeping em off balance with well timed screens, and power running plays with pulling guards.

That was raider offensive football at its finest. And that is what our personnel dicates we should run. Now we are stuck with this square peg round hole offense that no one fits.

• raidersmartone

raider j,i wanna add my name on the petition to fire that c–k sucker knapp!…

• Al_is_theraiders

nyraider is spot on…reggie gets big freakin fail

• 2romes

A few here wanted HUE Jax let go because of his so call attitude. Hue Jax prove himself worthy for 2 straight yrs. by turning a lackadaisical offense around into a productive one. Mark Davis chose to trade Hue in for some pillow talking newbies. Yes, that upset me and I thought that would upset many more Raider fan than it did. You know why? Talk is cheap and in comparison if norv Turner had a job to come back to so should Hue.
    Okay, you say give Reggie and DA a fair shake. I will tell now, I will give them a fair shot at making it work but it will be a bit hard for me to do it. DA choice for OC make it difficult. First, the scheme did not fit the Raider players skillset. you know the 1 cut and run, precise route running receivers, better than avg. tightend, and a mobile QB. DA being tagged as a well organized coach with attention to detail did not think this one through with good foresight.

Rushing from line for scrimmage has been a nightmare all preseason until now. What will Mr. attention to detail do about that? Are the Raiders now a passing team first? and if so where is the middle of the field threat? So many questions and I hope Reggie,DA,Knapp find the answers.

• canadianraider

how soon we forget…everyone was all over hue and to get his azz out of here..now u want him back over one game?????….ok..well our defense played the best ive seen in years and DA hired our dc right?…..knapp was hired cause he manipulated REG and DA in having them believe he can run the offense the way houston ran theres..(ill take houstons offense anyday…they have a great rb just like we do..except they have an elite wr and a good te)..cant blame DA for our lack of depth…hue was going to take us nowhere..if u all are happy with an 8-8 record every year…so be it..id rather go this route and go 8-8 this year knowing there will only be an improvent from here on end…what is with everyone saying we are still undisciplined?…we only had 6 penalties…im used to 10 to 12 on average…an improvement already…the draft picks reg made so far look pretty good..the fa’s he brought in made a difference as well….easy guys..the team is starting to look like it should be..a team on the rise..u want superbowl this year…ur being delusional….aint gonna happen..by the end of the year the league will take notice that the raiders are on the way up…reggie mak was a great hire and u guys will see it soon..patience…he’s a smart guy who came from an organization that built its winning team over time..not over night…thats they way ur supposed to run a team….we dont have the players yet…..just remember..if reggie mack was the one who traded for palmer u would call for his azz….how soon u forget it was hue that made that move….remember?????????????….wake up

• theghostronin79

================
    Yeah Tx, it’s a hard thing to do man. I’d be lying if I said my day wasn’t Sh*tty BECAUSE of last night. It stings, and I’m gonna have a bad taste for a few days….. But man, I haven’t seen Burris play better than he did. He was a beast. Heard his name a bunch. Great knife through the line to tackle for loss too. That’s what we need outta our LB’s. I ain’t gonna get into what I didn’t like, that’s been goin on for the last 12 hours.

• DJ Johnny

331.RaidersOne Says:
    September 11th, 2012 at 11:59 am
    DJ Johnny,

And what’s your point DJ ???? At least when I am so pissed off, upset and frustrated after 28 yrs of losing I will say something radical.

While you on the other hand will be mellow and la-de-da “whatever man.”

What is wrong with respecting talent and organizational capability in the 49′ers and Broncos that have transformed their organizations almost miraculously in a very short time period?

We should study it carefully, use the information, as any capable manager would.

Go spin your records dude, and continue to act like a blind fool; accept losing, accept a wasting of your time and loyalty by idiots, and accept the taking of your money on a flawed product for the past 28 yrs.

Have at it, baby.

You don’t read my posts obviously and that’s fine. If u did you’d see I have been almost over the top in my criticism of the team since last night’s debacle.

IMO saying “WE” is suugesting you’re “one of us” as in Raider fan.

I have never heard a true Raider fan say “Go Niners and “Go Denver”. Maybe you’re one of those ‘well I like the Raiders..but I like the niners and Denver more’ type of fans. That’s fine, it’s your life, but coming on here saying “we” is b.s. “WE” is the Raider fans..NOT Denver of SF.

What you call “radical” (go niners, go denver) most would call betrayal..that’s IF you were really a Raider fan. You just don’t say that schytt.

Go wear your niners jersey and your denver hat and have fun with it.

You can’t be all things to all people…that’s makes u a bullschytt frontrunner.