Condo back on the field

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Friday, September 14th, 2012 at 12:07 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Note: Steve Corkran is covering the Raiders in Miami this weekend while I help move my daughter to her college dorm . . .

Raiders long-snapper Jon Condo went through warmups and drills with teammates and was wearing a helmet Friday, but there was no word on if he has been cleared to play.

Condo later adjourned to the far field along with practice squad snapper Nick Guess. Guess was outside of the end zone, snapping for accuracy against the goal post standard _ and hitting it with regularity. Condo was giving pointers and advice.

Here’s a link to an afternoon post on cornerback Pat Lee, who will make his second NFL start in 34 games against Miami.

Here’s a transcript of a sit-down interview with Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie conducted along with Vic Tafur of the San Francisco Chronicle.

According to the Web site Profootballfocus.com, middle linebacker Rolando McClain is coming off a very good game gainst San Diego.

• SilverAndBlackBleeder

If Luck and that coaching staff over there start getting Brazill and Hilton more involved, they have a chance to be a lot more explosive than folks think….but enough non-Raider talk out of me for the day! 3 comments is too many! I never feel guilty about bs-ing on my work to run it about the Raiders, but I will feel a lil like I’m getting over on my job if I start wasting time running it about the Colts and Skins! Lol

Looking forward to seeing D.Moore out there this Sunday…will be a HUGE lift for our O….He at least puts some creativity in our deep passing play calls and makes the back 4 respect the entire field whereas we all know DHB if he’s going deep is still on a 9 route…

• 2romes

A Major focus has been placed on the wide receiver group but I would place more focus on the lack of developing a efficient tightend in the scheme adopted DA/Knapp. There is a 3rd dimension in the receiving game that is lacking in the Raiders game and that should be addressed by adding a heavy dose of tighend to the mix. Can you name a successful zone blocking team without productive catching tightend? Make a team cover the middle of the field and the edges will open up.

• VanHeathen30

Reece absolutely needs to be more involved,our biggest problem as a matchup and he was a decoy all night. The holdout might have slowed his development within this Offense, but we don’thave time to wait.

• omoran

JERRY–Condo nor the snapping was the fault, but the offensive line ,it looked like Palmer could use a bit more time.And Knapp should have call better plays than those.Like When they butter
    Up the drive -LIKE ALWAYS -Nothing goes right for the RAIDERS
    Then “Nerv” TURNER just stood there waiting for them,like he knew the plays
    #1 Handoff to -Mac Fadden
    #2 Throw short in front of the coverage
    It was -OBVIOUS!!

• VanHeathen30

Ausberry made a nice sliding catch for a 1st down, and SHOULD be moreinvolved too…kid is a beast and can abuse smaller DB’s in space.
    Free the Beast!

• DJ Johnny

47.DutchRaider77 Says:
    September 14th, 2012 at 1:07 pm
    @DJ Johnny
    So what is like it “Bear” land today?

Ha. The phones are going crazy at the radio station…and on 670 AM.

Not happy fans for sure.

I personally don’t care…but it’s interesting to observe the angst and ire.

• qodrn1

new post.

• Raider Riff

Raider Riff Says:
    September 14th, 2012 at 3:10 pm
    Bob Marley Says:
    September 14th, 2012 at 10:41 am
    Riff.

“Im calm Bob. I just have never once heard you have a wrong take on here til now. You, twocents, YougAmerican, and Chris from NY are normally 100% right. So forgive me for getting frustrated when I see one of the more respected semi’s completely miss the boat on this one.”

- First of all, I’ve had plenty of wrong takes over the years!.

But seriously, I don’t think we “completely missed the boat on this one”.

It’s one thing to concede the long-snapping issue was a huge factor, probably the biggest when you consider the Coaching Staff did NOTHING about it, bu that’s called bad coaching my fiend.

And I don’t mean not having a back-up plan for Condo coming out of the game, I mean not adjusting protection schemes accordingly when you just lost the guy who calls them, what where they thinking?.

- I’m also talking about getting a delay of game penalty when facing a 3rd and 10 at SD’s 11 yard line.

- I’m also talking about the first 3rd quarter drive where we were facing a 1st and 5 at our own 49 yard line and we could not convert on 3 downs, then deciding to go for it and getting called for having 12 men on the field, bringing up the Punt unit and watching the debacle start.

- I’m also talking about the second drive in the 3rd quarter, where we were facing a 2nd down and 3 and could not convert.

- I’m also talking about our 3rd drive in the third quarter where actually lost 3 yards after McFaden got tackled behind the LOS on first down and 2 short incompletions to McFaden followed.

We lost the game right there because the offense stalled and failed to convert and we could not punt.

—————–

The lack of adjustments after we lost Condo in the punting game were definitely a coaching blunder. You are right there. But the damage was already done.

And just becasue they screwed that up, doesnt mean Knapp had a crappy gameplan like so many here want to believe.

All those other coach issues you said are minor compared to the HUGE mistakes our players made. Our coaches should not be taking the heat here. Im not nit-picking. This was big mistakes by our players that swung things 19 points, not little stuff that cost us one or two conversions.

You list every conversion as if Knapp was supposed to run the plays himself and never not convert a 3rd down. You are stretching things and looking for the slightest reason to blame the staff.

Knap is an easy guy to hate. He just looks like a twerp. I think that is playing a factor here. Not with you personally, but in general. That may be a reach, but Im running out of reasons to understand why otherwise reasonable people want so desperately to pile on this guy.

I really wish I could sit and watch the game with you and we could go over it in person. When you watch then endzone film, its not hard to break down every single play.

• Raider Riff

Raider Riff Says:
    September 14th, 2012 at 3:14 pm
    Twocents Says:
    September 14th, 2012 at 11:48 am
    Raider Riff took me to task for saying “While Reece could have given Jones a better feed, Jones definitely took his eyes off the ball.”
    So I went back and watched the replay.
    After further review….I have reversed my decision.
    It is not clear that Jones took his eyes off the ball and I happily place all the blame on Reece.

———-

My “taking you to task” wasnt meant to be personal. I apologize if it came off that way. There was a lot of frustration boiling over. Your one of my favorite semis twocents.

It takes a real intelligent person to come back here, admit you went and checked the replay, and were wrong.

Were all wrong once in a while. We’re only stupid when were too stubborn to admit it.

• tonedeezy

Palmer stopped looking at DHB when dude broke off the seam route that would have gotten him a touchdown. Palmer read it right, and threw it right, DHB was in the wrong place though.
    Streater fumbled and Hagan dropped two.
    When the the pressure’s on, you throw to the guys you trust. So far, only Brandon Myers and Dmac are on that list.
    Hope a couple people get added to that list on Sunday.