McClain out with concussion; Raiders remain confident in run

As it turns out, middle linebacker Rolando McClain had a good reason for missing practice today: He suffered a concussion against the Miami Dolphins.
McClain said the scariest part of his injury is, he doesn’t know when it happened Sunday.
“It was more in the game where I felt like, ‘Well, dang, I don’t feel like myself,’ ” McClain said. “But, I don’t know, it’s one of the more scary injuries. With an ankle, you know what’s wrong. But when it’s in your head, you don’t know.”
McClain played the bulk of the game. Raiders coach Dennis Allen said it became apparent after the game.
“It was something we thought might have been the case after the game,” Allen said. “But it didn’t seem like it was a major one. Seemed like a minor deal, and so, it’s kind of a precautionary deal that we’re going through the whole process to make sure he’s fine.”
McClain said this is the first time he has suffered a concussion that he is aware of, either in college of his three years in the NFL. Therefore, he is heeding the advice of team doctors.
He won’t be allowed to play this Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers unless he passes a series of league-mandated tests. McClain said he is hopeful of making a speedy recovery and playing Sunday.
“That’s the plan,” McClain said. “Obviously, you don’t want to rush anything with the head, but it is what it is. I’m just doing whatever it is I can do to get back. We’ll see.”
Long-snapper Jon Condo suffered a concussion in Oakland’s regular-season opener. He passed the tests four days later and returned in time to play against the Dolphins.
If McClain isn’t able to play, Travis Goethel is the likely candidate to start in the middle.

– Cornerback Shawntae Spencer’s right foot remains in a protective boot, and he still is in need of crutches to get around.
Allen said Spencer underwent an MRI to determine the extent of the damage from an injury Spencer suffered against the Dolphins.
“We still really don’t have an answer to that,” Allen said, when asked if he knew how long Spencer would be out. “He didn’t practice today, so we’re going to evaluate him as we go throughout the week and see where he’s at.”
Same goes for right offensive tackle Khalif Barnes, who suffered a groin injury against the Dolphins and missed most of the game.
Willie Smith is in line to start at right offensive tackle if Barnes can’t play.

– There’s a rule of thumb on punt returns that, a returner lines up at his own 10-yard line on punts with a chance of reaching the end zone and lets go anything that is going over his head.
Phillip Adams fielded one punt at his own 2-yard line and two at his own 7-yard line against the Dolphins. Where does Allen stand on the issue?
“That’s the general rule,” Allen said. “Line up on the 10 and if it goes over your head, you let it go. That’s one of the things we’ve talked about. We’ve got to make good decisions and smart decisions. That will help us as far as the field position game goes.”

– Stefen Wisniewski stayed after practice to work on his long-snapping. He now is listed as the backup to Condo on the Raiders depth chart.
For the record, Wisniewski looked much more capable snapping the ball than Goethel did in practice a week ago.

– The old regime informed free safety Michael Huff late last season that he was being converted to cornerback. That went out the window once coach Hue Jackson got fired shortly after the season ended.
Now, with both starting cornerbacks injured, Huff finds himself back in the mix at cornerback. He took some reps there in practice today.
Allen said Huff has what it takes to make the transition, whereas not all safeties do.
“Speed and athleticism; that’s the biggest thing,” Allen said of the key to making the switch. “You’ve got to be able to run and play out there on the edge, and he can certainly do that.”
Huff was unavailable for comment.
Pat Lee and Joselio Hanson are the projected starters for now, with Spencer and Ron Bartell sidelined with injuries. Lee said Huff has what it takes to succeed if called upon.
“Huff is an all-around guy,” Lee said. “He’s a good player. He can do whatever out there on the field. He’s going to do his job. That’s Huff.”

– The Raiders aren’t the only team struggling with their rushing attack the first two games. The Steelers averaged only 2.6 yards rushing in games against the Denver Broncos and New York Jets.
It doesn’t help that they are without lead back Rashard Mendenhall, of course. But, sometimes it just takes time to get things going, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said.
“I just think the early portions of the year, particularly when you’re working with new systems of offensive football, that it takes some time to get some cohesion,” Tomlin said. “But, again, I’m just speaking from my perspective and maybe our experiences.”
Tomlin said he isn’t in position to pass judgment on why the Raiders have struggled so much in the run game. The Raiders averaged 2.0 yards a carry their first two games.

– Through it all, the Raiders remain steadfast in their belief that it’s only a matter of time before things click in the run game.
“You don’t let it frustrate you,” quarterback Carson Palmer said. “The saving grace is, you know McFadden is back there. He’s one arm tackle away from breaking off a 40-, 50-yarder. He’s got that potential, he’s got that ability, he’s done it before. We’re going to stick with it. We’re not frustrated.
“We’re disappointed in ourselves for not executing it better but we’re not going to let it frustrate us, we’re not going to let it deter it from our goal. Our goal is going to be to run the ball on people, and we’re going to do that. It hasn’t worked the first two games, but we’re not going to change anything we’re doing.”
McFadden said “it’s a shock to me” when he looks at the stat sheet and sees that he has gained only 54 yards on 26 carries through two games.
Yet, as Palmer said, McFadden isn’t frustrated by the lack of results so far. By comparison, McFadden had 222 yards rushing through two games last season.
“It’s a game, you can’t get frustrated,” McFadden said. “If you get frustrated, you only get down on yourself, so you have to just go out there and keep grinding, keep pushing forward.”
Allen isn’t about to abandon the run after only two games. He said sometimes the game dictates how often run plays are called.
“I’ve got all the confidence in the world in our running game,” Allen said. “I’ve seen it work. It’s been successful in this league and we’ve got the right personnel to get it done.”

– Palmer attempted 94 passes the first two games. Combine that with an entire offseason, training camp and four exhibition games, and it has to make for a tired arm, right?
Not so, Palmer said.
“Oh, yeah, my arm feels great,” Palmer said. “My arm feels great and, hopefully, I pray that I continue to stay healthy. But my arm feels great.”
Palmer estimated that he attempted 120 passes in practice today, so 47 or so in a game isn’t much of a workload, by comparison.

– Allen had this to say about new cornerback Brandian Ross, who was signed earlier today to the 53-man roster:
“He’s a big guy, a physical guy, has got some coverage skills. He’s a guy that Reggie knew about from being there with him, so he was a guy we thought could come in and compete.”
How soon remains in question. Ross has four days to learn enough of the coverage schemes to be of use to the Raiders on Sunday.
“That’s the plan,” Ross said, when asked if he intended to play Sunday. “Try to pick it up ASAP, so I can help get this first W here.”
Coincidentally, Ross was convinced by then-Packers personnel guy Reggie McKenzie to stay in Green Bay last season when another team wanted to sign him from the practice squad.
It was McKenzie who convinced Ross to bolt the Packers this time, with McKenzie running the show in Oakland as the general manager.

– Once again, the Raiders are urging fans to enter the stadium at home games to enter at least one hour before kick-off.
As an incentive, the Raiders have a program in place that rewards selected fans with prizes. For more information about Early In and You May Win, go to: http://www.raiders.com/gameday

Steve Corkran

• VanHeathen30

Watching DVD tackle our punt returning inside the 5 when he fields a punt at the 2 again will be the least of our worries for sure…Miami’s gunners were getting away from the Los untouched and out running our guys downfield all day.
    Meanwhile our gunners were blocked 10 yards past the point were the Miami returner was fielding the ball…this team is messed up bad right now, top to bottom.

• The Big Banana

DennisAllensVisor Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 9:09 am
    The funny thing is, if we had kept DVD, people would be crying about how were gonna get toasted because he cant ‘play the ball’, and he cant tackle….

Some of you guys are rreeeeeaalllly funny.

———

You mean like you’re doing right now in reverse? Lol. Weren’t you high on DVD when he was here and said he wouldn’t get cut? I remember you fighting the good fight.

I’ve maintained that I’m not impressed. Despite all the practice success, I didnt like what I saw in game situations.

It’s all good, tho. Yanking your chain, DAV.

• DennisAllensVisor

The Big Banana Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 9:18 am
    DennisAllensVisor Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 9:09 am

Some of you guys are rreeeeeaalllly funny.

———

It’s all good, tho. Yanking your chain, DAV.

—-

For sure.

I’ve said that I wanted him kept all along, Im a Canes fan…but he didnt do it in the game.

Its frustrating to me that the same people who talked negative about him are now using him as ammunition against Reggie… Makes no sense.

We’re not 0-2 because DVD got cut, or Murphy was traded LOL..

• SilverNBlackPA

We’re not 0-2 because DVD got cut, or Murphy was traded LOL..

++++++++++

You wouldn’t know that from some folks around here.

At the root of it, i think the problem is that Reggie isn’t Al Davis.

• ArmChair GM

Same O-Line under Al Saunders,
    Mcfadden over 5 yds a carry.

Same O-Line under Greg Knapp,
    Mcfadden 2 yds a carry.

Knapp must go.

• http://000 Bob Marley

DAV……

Most of Tomlin’s comments including the draft stuff were made september 12th….after the Denver game and prior to theNYJ game where DVD played even better as their starting gunner….didnt you and others say DVD neded to go because he could not play ST’s???….turns out he can.

589.DennisAllensVisor Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 8:55 am
    Everyone is going nuts because Mike Tomlin has been singing DVD’s praises days before they play the team that cut him…What else is he gonna say?? LOL..

You guys are too easy.

You all just got trolled by Mike Tomlin.

++++++++++++++++++

Said the same thing yesterday. What coach isn’t going to talk up one of his guys?

People act like Reggie cut the second coming of Mike Haynes. Reality: DVD is the Steelers 5th CB and I’m not sure if he’s taken so much as one snap on defense.

• DennisAllensVisor

Oh, now its Al Saunders.

Thought it was Hue Jackson’s ‘explosive’ offense.

Hard to keep up with the propaganda on this blog sometimes.

• DennisAllensVisor

Bob Marley Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 9:27 am
    DAV……

—-

I never said DVD should go at all.

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

Explosive offense? Hue’s offense was more like explosive diarreah.

582.DJ Johnny Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 8:47 am
    If you look at some of the moves Reggie has made it doesn’t look good.

-DVD. Look what Tomlin says about him and how he’s doing at Pitt. Reggie just let’s him go and then is left with bringing in practice squad players in an emergency panic.

-Louis Murphy. I didn’t think we needed him either. It turns out we probably did.

-Mike Brisiel. By all accounts a horrible move and a big contract to boot.

..those don’t appear to be good GM moves.

++++++++++++++

1) DVD is a bottom of the roster guy on any team in the league. He went from being our 5th CB to the Steelers’s. Big whoop.

2) You cannot point me to a receiver on the roster that Louis Murphy is better than. Maybe Juron Criner, but that’s exactly where Murphy would’ve been stuck too: the bottom of the depth chart.

3) Brisiel was a widely lauded move when he was brought in and for good reason. Absolutely no one that I’m aware of was on record at the time at saying he wouldn’t be any good.

The howling over moves made of the bottom part of the Raiders roster is insanity.

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

Michael Silver ‏@MikeSilver
    To all you raiders fans protesting that I should have put them 31 (behind the chiefs) instead of 32… we’re really arguing about this?
    Retweeted by Steve Corkran
    Reply Retweet Favorite

• VanHeathen30

Our Special Teams have been ‘Special Ed’ BAD…
    Glad the GM isn’t responsible for ANY of these issues.

Thanks for clearing that up, what exactly does the GM do?
    Order the catering for the team meals must be his main priority,
    cause he’s free and clear from any responsibility for the product on the field according to some of you…

J Hill Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 8:35 am
    I did. Wife gave it to me as a gift actually so I should’ve said she ponied up the money. It’s awesome.

————————————————————

Cool!

I’ll take your analysis as truth since you’re looking at coaches film.

55 played a nice first 6 qtrs though. I think there is some bias there, lol.

+++++++++++++++++++

He was better in the San Diego game for sure. I *hope* it was just the concussion screwing with him in the Miami game.

It’s not all doom and gloom about 55: he plays nice pass defense.

What he is is a 3-4 ILB. He plays the pass well there so he can drop into coverage easy and would have much less territory to try and cover.

I fully expect Reggie to deal McClain to a 3-4 team for a 3rd-5th round pick either in the off-season or come draft day.

• http://000 Bob Marley

DAV.

My bad if you were for keeping DVD…..now who is it you keep mentioning as wanting him gone before and now turning around and lamenting we cut him?.

• The Big Banana

We’re not 0-2 because DVD got cut, or Murphy was traded LOL..

—–

Lol. Certainly not. I think folks are real let down and looking for someone to hang.

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

This is hilarious. Vince Young once spent 6k at TGI Fridays. 5k a week at Cheesecake Factory?

• The Big Banana

Klas Tjorborn Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 9:31 am
    Michael Silver ‏@MikeSilver
    Retweeted by Steve Corkran
    Reply Retweet Favorite

—–

Lol. Dude has a point. What does it matter? We suck until proven otherwise.

• DJ Johnny

587.The Big Banana Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 8:55 am
    How about “Hey, we’re trying….sort of” as the motto?

—–

Lol, DJ. Come down off that ledge, bro.

Thx. but I need something remotely resembling positive to happen before i stopp teetering on that ledge.

616.The Big Banana Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 9:35 am
    We’re not 0-2 because DVD got cut, or Murphy was traded LOL..

—–

+++++++++++++++++++

Exactly right.

It’s Hue’s own damn fault he was canned. If he keeps mouth shut, he may very well still be here.

OR if he had his team fully prepared to play against Denver & Tebow, Miami, Green Bay, Detroit or San Diego, he’s still here too.

• DennisAllensVisor

Bob Marley Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 9:34 am
    DAV.

—-

I dont remember the names..

I just know there werent too many with me defending him making the team..

617.Klas Tjorborn Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 9:36 am

+++++++++++++

WTF

I like the Cheesecake Factory and all, but how do you spend 5 grand in a lifetime there, let alone a week? And TGI Friday’s is fcking terrible and he drops 6K? How?! Insanity.

• hwnrdr

We could have went 1-1 and still be at the bottom of the list! Who cares. Ticked off how we started (as any fan would) but not gonna let the Raider’s season dictate my life! If we win the Superbowl, yes that will be an exciting part of my life (and I have witnessed 3), but after that win, maybe celebrate a week than its on to the next episode!
    Stay away from the ledge my fellow Nation brothers and sisters!

621.DennisAllensVisor Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 9:38 am
    Bob Marley Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 9:34 am
    DAV.

—-

I dont remember the names..

I just know there werent too many with me defending him making the team..

+++++++++++++++++++++

I liked him as a dime corner

I’ve yet to see anyone offer evidence he’s a better option than Pat Lee. Hell, DVD isn’t probably any better than Brandian Ross.

• RAIDERMAN99

SilverNBlackPA, do you have access to the game tape right now ?

If so, can you tell me whether Myers was CP’s first read on the 3rd and 10 during the Raid’s first posession of the 2nd half ? Came at about the 14 min mark in the 3rd qtr.

Would like to know what the WR’s did that play. Was CP hurried into checking down to Myers, or what ?

Completing a 4 yard gain to Myers on that play is a HUGE fail. Part of the 1-13 conversion absurdity. Would like to know who is responsible in your opinion.

What does the tape say about Knapp’s playcalling for that specific play ?

hwnrdr Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 9:39 am
    We could have went 1-1 and still be at the bottom of the list! Who cares.

+++++++++++++++

Power lists are the most pointless sch!t in the world. I don’t even read them.

• r8eray

The Big Banana Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 9:35 am
    We’re not 0-2 because DVD got cut, or Murphy was traded LOL..

=========

We are 0-2 cause we fired Hue!

We are 0-2 cause we implemented the ZBS!

We are 0-2 cause Knapp is calling plays!

We are 0-2 cause…the list could go on and on!

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

SilverNBlackPA Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 9:38 am
    617.Klas Tjorborn Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 9:36 am

+++++++++++++

WTF

——
    He also bought 120 of 130 seats on a South West Airlines flight once just so he could have some privacy.

• DennisAllensVisor

Palmer has good #’s but the fact is he isnt really doing that great in the offense yet either.

Literally every person on the offense’s timing is off.

• ArmChair GM

DennisAllensVisor Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 9:27 am

Oh, now its Al Saunders.

Thought it was Hue Jackson’s ‘explosive’ offense.

Hard to keep up with the propaganda on this blog sometimes.
    _______________________________________________________

Hey Dummy-

When making a fair comparison, you compare two people or objects that are in the same class, position, or status.

You can compare a Mercedes to a BMW.

You can compare 5 Guys to In-N-Out.

And you compare one offensive coordinator to another offensive coordinator.

Same O-Line under Offensive Coordinator Al Saunders,
    Mcfadden over 5 yds a carry.

Same O-Line under Offensive Coordinator Greg Knapp,
    Mcfadden 2 yds a carry.

Dennis Allen’s Visor, you are obviously just as clueless as the coach who’s head you sit on top of.

Knapp must go.

• The Big Banana

Klas Tjorborn Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 9:36 am

——

This is the same guy some in here clamored for? Lol. SMH

• DennisAllensVisor

r8eray Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 9:40 am
    The Big Banana Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 9:35 am
    We’re not 0-2 because DVD got cut, or Murphy was traded LOL..

=========

We are 0-2 cause we fired Hue!

We are 0-2 cause we implemented the ZBS!

We are 0-2 cause Knapp is calling plays!

We are 0-2 cause…the list could go on and on!

—-

Ahhh The great Hue Jackson and his ‘explosive’ offense.

• http://000 Bob Marley

DAV……post 121….I was.

RAIDERMAN99 Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 9:39 am
    SilverNBlackPA, do you have access to the game tape right now ?

++++++++++

3 WR set, DM17 in the slot. Can’t tell who was out wide, but I think it was DHB and Streater.

Anyway, the ball is snapped and Reshad Jones comes on a safety blitz. Myers is supposed to hit him to slow him down and then release. Which he does, except his block is ineffective and Jones comes in basically unhindered. Palmer has to get the throw off to Myers.

He had Moore open to his right, but Moore’s route was shallow too and he gets at most 6 or 7 yards out of it, which still isn’t enough for the 1st down.

The WRs running deeper hadn’t even completed their routes before Palmer was forced to throw. And it wouldn’t have mattered if they had because they were well covered.

• RAIDERMAN99

DVD was cut deservedly.

His play during the pre-season games was abysmal.

Toasted in coverage and his tackling wasn’t even good enough to play in Pop Warner.

He has the speed and quickness to contribute on special teams, but that’s it.

If he is ever to have hopes of starting at CB, he’s going to have to add at least 10 lbs of bulk while maintaining his speed.

If he can do that and refine his coverage technique he could eventually be a player.

He is a project at best.

• DennisAllensVisor

Bob Marley Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 9:45 am
    DAV……post 121….I was.

—-

Right on brother.

• DennisAllensVisor

RAIDERMAN99 Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 9:47 am
    DVD was cut deservedly.

His play during the pre-season games was abysmal.

He has the speed and quickness to contribute on special teams, but that’s it.

He is a project at best.

—-

I dont think weight or muscle have anything to do with it.

Its the desire to make a tackle.

There have been plenty of DBs who were light, but could tackle.

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

The Big Banana Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 9:43 am
    Klas Tjorborn Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 9:36 am

——

This is the same guy some in here clamored for? Lol. SMH
    ——-
    I’m sure Mistic would rather have Vince Young than Palmer.

• DJ Johnny

I agree injuries have played a role in our situation at corner…that’s obvious and a fair point…but…doesn’t a good GM plan for the inevitability of injuries?

Would not DVD be a better option than having to scour teams practice squads in a panic to shore up that position?

Maybe “explosive” is not the correct adjective to describe Hue’s offense, but it was good enuff to single handedly win 8 ball games last yr seeing as our defense was virtually non-existent.

The fact is we went from an 8-8 team (claims of it being a ‘mirage” not withstanding) and NOW are the WORST TEAM IN FOOTBALL…with almost the same roster, and really no more significant changes than any other team made. A few here and there just like everyone else.

In fact, the team returns it’s best player DMAC..who was basically absent from said 8-8 squad.

• DutchRaider77

@DennisAllensVisor

I was kinda curious about whose offense it was, between Saunders and Hue. I don’t want to take anything away from Hue. But I was kinda shocked he ended up as a assistant Special teams coach/DBs. WTF? Black-balled? Or is there a story in the inner NFL circles?

Didn’t the Raiders always have a better offense in the first half of games? Like we were relying on the scripted plays? Maybe Hue scripted these plays? Maybe Saunders scripted the plays? Maybe they scripted them together?

Just curious…

• SilverNBlackPA

Basically a lot of things went wrong on that play:

-McFadden was back for pass protection, but had to step up to catch a linebacker coming up the middle. That’s on the o-line for crap pass protection.

-Myers’s chip before releasing was horrible

-I’m not sure that was the right play to call because it seems to me you had two guys running too shallow (Moore/Myers) and two guys running too deep (DHB/Streater) There was no one right at the first down marker, they were either 5 yards in front of it or past it.

• DennisAllensVisor

DJ Johnny Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 9:50 am

—-

-I’d like to meet the GM who has a contingency plan for both his starting CBs getting hurt.

-And if my memory serves me, 7 of our 8 wins were by less than 7. And our D had to make a stop to end the game. So lets not heave all the credit on the O that was 16th in scoring.

• DJ Johnny

638.Klas Tjorborn Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 9:49 am
    The Big Banana Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 9:43 am
    Klas Tjorborn Says:
    September 20th, 2012 at 9:36 am

——

This is the same guy some in here clamored for? Lol. SMH
    ——-
    I’m sure Mistic would rather have Vince Young than Palmer.

Yeah guys…I’m tellin’ ya there’s this 3rd stringer on Tampa named Lacedarious Washington who is certainly the future of the NFL…MUCH better than Tom Brady and Peyton Manning could ever hoe to be in a million years.

The only reason he isn’t starting right now is becuz he just hasn’t been given a real shot. It’s sad though, cuz i’m tellin ya this kid has a very unique skill set that stretches the field.

You’ll be hearing from him and alot more just like him to replace the pathetic Bardy’s, Mannings, and Breeses of the world.

• RAIDERMAN99

Thank you S&BPA.

Can you do one more ?

On the long Bush TD that ends with Branch and Huff trailing him into the EZ…

What is Slo doing on that play ?

I’ve seen it posted in here that Branch ran into Slo on that play and hindered any chance of him making a tackle.

Is that true, or was there a Fin that interfered with him ?

Slo isn’t even close to laying a glove on Bush on that play and I’d like to know the real reason.

Thanks again, S&BPA.

++++++++++

8 wins:

23-20 over Denver
    34-24 over New York
    25-20 over Houston
    24-17 over Cleveland
    24-17 over San Diego
    27-21 over Minnesota
    25-20 over Chicago
    16-13 over KC in OT

So you’re exactly right.

People act like the Raiders were winning games 38-35 or whatever last year. It’s not the case.

Hubert’s “explosive” offense scored over 30 points exactly twice. Once in the Jets victory, once in the Bills loss.

Hue’s offense = vastly overrated by many in here

+++++++++

LMFAO

Excellent impression

• http://raiders.com Klas Tjorborn

Lacedarious Washington
    ——
    LMAO

• DutchRaider77

There was a team last year…hmmmm, cannot remember who had to pick corners off another teams practice squad and they ended up starting that player. I think the team made it to the Super Bowl…The organization is considered top notch.

• DennisAllensVisor

Its never as bad or as good as you think.

• DennisAllensVisor