Allen, Raiders not too absorbed in victory

By Steve Corkran
Monday, September 24th, 2012 at 4:09 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Raiders coach Dennis Allen turned 40 and notched his first victory as an NFL head coach over the weekend. Yeah, so, Allen seemed to say Monday. That’s nice, but there isn’t any time to celebrate much in the NFL, especially when Peyton Manning is your next opponent.
So it is that Allen conducted his weekly news conference, then headed off to begin breaking down videotape of Manning and the Denver Broncos, less than 24 hours after the Raiders beat the Pittsburgh Steelers 34-31 at the Oakland Coliseum.
Allen said he celebrated the victory with some friends Sunday night. During the week, he’s all business, searching for a way to keep his players on task and underscoring the importance of the upcoming game.
Allen drove home the point last week by handing out wooden bats to everyone on the roster.
Bats? Yes, bats. Let’s go to outside linebacker Philip Wheeler for an explanation.
“The whole team got the bats,” Wheeler said. “That was the theme, man. Coach D.A. was telling us, ‘Man, it’s going to be one of those fights you got to swing our bats for 60 minutes, and that’s what we did. We had to bring the wood, and they gave us the wooden bats. We brought the wood and we swung it for 60 minutes.”
Allen and quarterback Carson Palmer stressed how physical the game would be against the Steelers and the need to stand up to the Steelers and match them blow for blow.
In the end, it was the Raiders who delivered the knockout punch in the form of a 43-yard field goal by Sebastian Janikowski as time expired.
The Raiders improved to 1-2, tying the Broncos and Kansas City Chiefs for second place in the AFC West, one game behind the San Diego Chargers.
It doesn’t get any easier for the Raiders, if history is any judge, finding a way to beat Manning, defensive tackle Richard Seymour said.
“He’s definitely the best that I’ve faced,” Seymour said. “You name all the accolades, he has them. He’s probably the best quarterback to suit up. He’s as good as advertised. They don’t build the league around him and his commercials and that sort of thing for nothing. He’s the real deal. And he’s a team guy.
“From my years in facing him, seeing him over at the Pro Bowl as well, he’s also a great guy off the field as well. So he’s good for the NFL, obviously the Broncos are fortunate to have him. But see if we can’t make him pay this week.”
Wheeler was a teammate of Manning’s the past four seasons, when both played for the Indianapolis Colts. He said he playing against Manning in practice every day helped expedite his learning curve as an NFL player.
“He made me a great player, just by playing against him, hearing him talk, hear him talk to his offense,” Wheeler said. “Like pointing out things against the defense when I was on defense. I was like, ‘Wow, he’s looking at that aspect of our defense.’ He made me a great player just being around him.”
Wheeler is hopeful of using some of the knowledge he gleaned to help the Raiders solve the riddle that is deciphering all the gibberish that Manning spews at the line of scrimmage in an attempt to throw off the defense and get his team into a favorable position before the play.
Wheeler, no doubt, remembers more than he lets on, and Allen and defensive coordinator Jason Tarver certainly will pump him for information all week.
“I used to know a couple of things, a couple of sounds,” Wheeler said. “The run to the right, I used to know it. One of them was like ‘stadium’ or something like that. I forgot ‘em, man. He didn’t play last year when I was there, and it’s been a little while, so I’m going to have to call one of my boys that played with me that remember them.”
Yeah, OK, Philip.

– Tight end Brandon Myers caught all four passes thrown his way against the Steelers. That kept intact a rather impressive streak for Myers.
He has caught all 15 passes thrown him the first three games. By comparison, no other player in the NFL has caught more than nine passes without a drop or incompletion.
Myers is second on the Raiders in receptions (15) to running back Darren McFadden (17) and first in receiving yards (206). Not bad for a guy that was an afterthought in the passing game his first three seasons. He already has set a career-high in yards. He will tie his career-best in receptions with his next catch.

– The Raiders committed 14 penalties for 102 yards their first three games this season. They committed 30 for 271 yards their first three games last season.
What’s worse, the Raiders had more penalties (15) and penalty yards (131) in their first game last season than they have so far this season.
The Raiders set league records for penalties (163) and yards penalized (1,358) last season. They are on pace for 75 for 544 yards this season.
The key, Allen said: “Just do your job, be disciplined, do it right, don’t do things that are going to cost your football team. And like I said before, at the end of the day, I have to do a good job of bringing it to their attention, the players have to do the job of getting it corrected, and they’ve done a nice job of that through three games.”
Seymour said Allen and the coaching staff are succeeding where so many of their predecessors failed.
“It’s a credit to the coaching staff and also the players on the field in terms of everybody being held accountable for their own actions,” Seymour said. “One penalty is one penalty too much. If everybody just said, ‘Well, I only got one, then you’ve got 11 on defense and 11 on offense and we still would be setting records.”

– Yes, McFadden rushed for 113 yards against the Steelers on Sunday. However, it’s way too early to declare the Raiders rushing woes ironed out.
McFadden’s first carry went for 64 yards against the Steelers. Take away that run, and he averaged only 2.9 yards on his 17 other carries. Also, he is averaging 3.8 for the season, but only 2.4 on the 43 carries other than the 64-yarder.
For what it’s worth, McFadden said his long run was a called play, not an audible by Palmer, as some suggested. McFadden said the blocking scheme remained the same Sunday as it was the first two games.
“It’s something that we’ve been doing,” McFadden said. “We always tell ourselves, you just have to keep hitting it, you’re going to get 1 yard here, 2 yards there, eventually you’re going to break the big ones. (Sunday) we were doing that.”

– Running back Taiwan Jones played quite a bit on special teams Sunday. However, he didn’t play a single snap on offense.
Jones bobbled a kick return and mishandled a toss from fullback Marcel Reece in the regular-season opener. Allen said at the time that Jones’ playing time would be affected by those miscues.
Man, Allen wasn’t kidding.
By comparison, backup Mike Goodson played three snaps, with McFadden on the field for the 54 other offensive plays.

– The Raiders had difficulty getting their hands on Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger on Sunday. Yet, when it counted most, rookie linebacker Miles Burris got his arms around Roethlisberger and forced him to make an errant pass on a third-down play.
That forced the Steelers to punt, and the Raiders marched down the field for a game-winning field goal.
“I just ran upfield, I was going to have to take the back man-to-man if he came out my way,” Burris said. “He went out the other side, slipped through, and I got (Roethlisberger) at his ankles. He’s a strong guy, still got the ball off, but it was great to get off the field at that point.”

• Marks hair

847. Like i said. Ask rice or any old vet that came to us late in their career about the refs bias against the raiders.. they normally say its crazy how unfair they are. Why? Hmmm … do you think the nfl is the one league the mob cant touch?

• http://www.RAIDERS.com Back-n-Black

I can not believe how the media has turned into big giant crybabies!

Trent Dilfer is horrible.

Answer this for me… WHO WILL THEY BLAME WHEN “REAL” REFS COME BACK AND BLOW CALLS?

The media is mad because the replacement refs aren’t protecting their favorite teams.

• Marks hair

I ♡ the new refs

• RaiderDanny

THE BROKEN RAIDER CURSE HAS LANDED ON THE GB PACKERS!! Good luck with that!

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

How’s about some game balls to go out for the win on Sunday:

lst to Dennis Allen for his lst career NFL victory. Called a good game, did not let field position dictate the loss like last week, gambled on an onside kick when his defense did not seem like they could stop it, and somehow kept it close.

Carson Palmer: unbelievable is all you can say about his second half.

Brandon Myers: dude is getting good.

Oline: Did the job

Phillip Wheeler: this guy is getting very goood!

Richard Seymour: a sack, caused a holding penalty and almost recovered the fumble that Wheeler got all on the last two Shi**burgh possessions. But you guys are right, he’s washed up.

Janikowsky: Nails.

• Marks hair

Best football tv in yrs.. let em play. let em hit.

• RaiderDanny

Didin i say we would beat the Steelers and know one would talk about it! 2hrs espn! Nothing! Since we won i havent seen any video other than Janos winning FG! I wanna see the McFadden run!!

• YoungAmerican

Just Fire Baby Says:
    September 25th, 2012 at 7:51 am

Thanks for the link YA!!

==============

No problem!

• Marks hair

I thought wheeler kinda struggled with miller

• RaiderDanny

I need some video without Adobe flash! Time to upgrade my Blackberry i guess!!

• http://www.RAIDERS.com Back-n-Black

My point is this… replacement refs or “real” refs…

STOP USING THEM AS AN EXCUSE!

I’ve always heard… “Good teams overcome bad calls” “Don’t let the game come down to a ref’s call, handle your business and put game out of reach.”

Rogers crying about the refs just pisses me off. The Packers sucked all night. Don’t blame the refs for giving up 7 sacks in the 1st half.

• RaiderDanny

Wish that link had some video YA?? U got something else??

• RaiderDanny

If we would of lost! Eveyone would show how great the Steelers are! I wanna see DMC run right down Steelers throat!!

• The Big Banana

Back-N-Black Says:
    September 25th, 2012 at 8:34 am
    My point is this… replacement refs or “real” refs…

STOP USING THEM AS AN EXCUSE!

——-

Nice post. Isn’t it funny how all the guys that promoted that stance are now whining about the refs?

• The Big Banana

Marks Hair Says:
    September 25th, 2012 at 8:28 am
    I ♡ the new refs

——–

Lol. Nice.

• http://kaneandassociatesrealtors.com/ Albert Bigelow Paine

——-
    That’s such bull sh*t. Great teams, like the 72′ Raiders, get screwed by bad calls just as much as bad teams.

• YoungAmerican

Marks hair Says:
    September 25th, 2012 at 8:34 am

I thought wheeler kinda struggled with miller

===========

Both he and Branch did, agreed.

Not that Miller isn’t good, but it was concerning that the Raiders couldn’t even disrupt him in the red zone. Seems like there isn’t a Raider defender right now who can consistently shut down TEs.

It’s definitely the flaw in Wheeler’s game (although he was actually one of the top-ranked LBs in coverage overall last season), but he does almost everything else well. Fun player to watch.

• Carl Weathers

It doesn’t matter that green bay sucked in the first half. That last play was an interception, period. I put money on Seattle and am happy I won but they should have lost. The reason it’s such a big deal today is that green bay didn’t have a chance to get the ball back. The refs gave the game to Seattle. On a horrible call, not even debatable.

• J Hill

Not sure why people thought Huff played well, he looked awful to me

————————————————————

Really???

Outside of the quick throws outside because he was playing off, what else did you see that was “awful”?

I missed the WRs having a big day.

TE is who killed us most of the day.

• DonManoukiansNeighbor

856.Marks hair Says:
    September 25th, 2012 at 8:30 am
    Best football tv in yrs.. let em play. let em hit.
    —————————————————-
    Im with you on that one.

Listening to the radio all morning makes me laugh. It was real refs that called the “Tuck Rule”.

Calls have been bad but the football has been hard hitting and mean. I like it.

• YoungAmerican

RaiderDanny Says:
    September 25th, 2012 at 8:36 am

Wish that link had some video YA?? U got something else??

==================

PFF doesn’t do video as far as I know, just stats-based analysis. Good read, though.

I’m actually still looking for solid in-depth video analysis for this game, but it seems like all anyone wants to show are the “highlights”, which basically include the Wallace TD and the winning FG.

• http://kaneandassociatesrealtors.com/ Albert Bigelow Paine

It seems like the Raiders game plan against Steelers was to give up the underneath stuff so they wouldn’t get burned down field. It was a gamble and it worked out because of the 2 Steeler turn overs. I don’t think that is going to work against Manning. Denver can run the ball better, even with the injuries. The CBs are gonna have to be much better against Broncos.

• DonManoukiansNeighbor

868.Carl Weathers Says:
    September 25th, 2012 at 8:52 am
    ——————————————————
    Tuck Rule!!

Real refs make bad calls as well.

• morilla

Silver wrote an article this morning saying that he ate dinner with lynch after the game. The replayed showed atthe restutaunt and Lynchs jaw dropped. Someone at the table said ” we didn’t win that game” complete silence.

Classic.

• fingers

Mannings been getting off to slow starts so far…. The Raider offense has to take advantage score early and often and keep it up… … And the defense needs to pressure Manning allday… Mannings been making the games close in the 4th… Can’t let him get comfortable…… He can still dink and dunk with the best of them…and he can bring his team back…. Pressure… Pressure…
    Thought it was a good sign that the Raider D stiffened up in the 4th qtr Sunday … Problably gonna need to do it this Sunday as well….
    Stomp the Donks…..

• guest123

Denver can run the ball better, even with the injuries.
    *********

Mcgahee might not even be active. They go to a full on committee of suck RB’s Moreno, Ball, and Hillman. Dungver won’t get far in the run game with those duds.

• chuck

I am glad to see the rest of the nfl whining about the bad calls we have got for years,the tuck rule was 20 times worse than that.It was good to see new england get a tough call too.

• nwr8r

nwr8r Says:
    September 24th, 2012 at 9:53 am

bcz24 Says:
    September 24th, 2012 at 9:45 am
    734.nwr8r Says:
    September 24th, 2012 at 9:35 am

Note to all the teams and fans around the league who are saying they lost because of the officials.

According to what everyone has told the Raiders and their fans for the last 15+ years there are plenty of oppurtunities during the game to make plays. A couple of bad calls did not lose you the game.
    ********************
    You arent watching football then bro. The refs HAVE straight stolen games from teams in the last 2 weeks. The titans were given 12 extra yards on a penalty in OT on the game winning FG drive, the 49ers were given TWO challenges even though they had no time outs, there were probably 50 blown PI calls this weekend alone (they either called it when it didnt happen, or didnt call it when it did), not flagging defenders for head shots. These guys are just simply not qualified, and they are playing too big a part in the games.

*****************************

Was not saying I agreed with the scabs. Way to many incorrect calls and non calls. I’ve been watching plenty of games. Just saying the same thing to all those whinning about losing due to a couple of calls as they’ve said to us for years. Trust me, I’ve seen the Raiders get screwed by officials before and have been told that’s not why we lost, there are plenty of other chances to during the course of a game to win. It used to drive me insane.

*******************************

Welcome to the Raiders side of the NFL….hahahahahaha
    All of the darlings of the NFL having issues and don’t like it much. No sympathy here!!

• The Big Banana

Is JFB here? So can we call all these guys whining about the refs foil hatters?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Sign a pass rusher!
    What’s wrong with A Carter? Is he still recovering from his leg injury?

• Carl Weathers

I hope Dennis Allen has taken note of the late game non officiating and lets the team know that they can get away with a lot on a final drive. Hold, grab, push, pull whatever you need to do to make a play or prevent one.

• jesusraiderjim

I think that ref who signaled TD was shady. He must have had ulterior motives. It is the only explanation.

——————————————————————–
    Who Cares?
    ===========================================

I the grand scheme of things nobody. But in another world billions of dollars were lost bty the casinos and bookmakers on that shvtty call

• YoungAmerican

Raider O Says:
    September 25th, 2012 at 9:35 am

Sign a pass rusher!
    What’s wrong with A Carter? Is he still recovering from his leg injury?

=====================

Seems as though that’s the case, the Cardinals let him leave without a contract too.

• The Big Banana

Carl Weathers Says:
    September 25th, 2012 at 9:41 am

————

Yeah, but honestly, they’re letting a lot of this go in general.

• YoungAmerican

A similar defensive gameplan to the one that didn’t work against a very mobile Ben Rothelisberger might have more success against a statuesque Peyton Manning.

• dr_robert

Marks Hair Says:
    September 25th, 2012 at 7:57 am
    Im just glad the other 31 teams FINALLY have go eat some ref cock… enjoy fücktards!!

****************
    eloquently said.

but i think the mob might be all over these guys. the replacements are easy marks. what would they have to lose by taking 50k to throw a game to one side? i bet several of them are on the take. they’re going for the short money while they have the chance.

• DutchRaider77

*******************************

Welcome to the Raiders side of the NFL….hahahahahaha

_____________________________________________________

Exactly, not saying there is a inherent bias against the Raiders. But why are there always more flags in a Raider game; not just against the Raiders but the other team as well.

• DutchRaider77

Speaking of Pass Rushers, wouldn’t it have been nice if the Raiders kept Chris Clemons? (Seattle)

• DJ Johnny

887.DutchRaider77 Says:
    September 25th, 2012 at 10:01 am

*******************************

Welcome to the Raiders side of the NFL….hahahahahaha

_____________________________________________________

I called into a sports show on Chicago radio last year before the Bears game with us and they took my call cuz I said I was a Raider fan and I said it is almost a statistical impossibility for the Raiders to be one of, if not THE MOST penalized teams in the league year after year with different coaches, enitirely different rosters etc. etc.

One of the hosts said “well he’s a Raider fan so he’s gonna think there’s a conspiracy, and the other host said “well hold on..you have to admit that is pretty strange…”

• hwnrdr

DutchRaider77 Says:
    September 25th, 2012 at 10:04 am

• jesusraiderjim

YoungAmerican Says:
    September 25th, 2012 at 8:55 am
    RaiderDanny Says:
    September 25th, 2012 at 8:36 am

Wish that link had some video YA?? U got something else??

==================

————————————————-

NFL.com video of all our scores including DMacs run

• nwr8r

Everyone wants the regular refs back. The same ones that get coin flips wrong, have blown obvious touchdown calls among other poor calls (tuck?). Player safety and control of the game is an issue with the scabs. Bad calls happen no matter who’s out there. Most of the media and players/coaches are scrutinizing the replacements so much it has almost taken on an angry mob mentality, it keeps fueling itself.

• Plunketthead

879.The Big Banana Says:
    September 25th, 2012 at 9:16 am
    Is JFB here? So can we call all these guys whining about the refs foil hatters?

Firebaby misfires now and then and he is wrong about the vendetta or curse or conspiracy or whatever you want to call it where the Raiders get screwed all the time. And he is wrong about UFO’s as well

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

Ive positively identified unidentified flying objects.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

I just wonder if the regular refs will be watched as closely or spoken about as much and poorly as these guys are.//////Hope not. Hope they don’t come back, period.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

jesusraiderjim Says: But in another world billions of dollars were lost bty the casinos and bookmakers on that shvtty call//////////////Billions might be overstating it, and it wasn’t lost, just went someplace else.

• Marks hair

Fùck the “real” refs!

• xHOWIE75x

No sympathy from this raider fan. Glad to see one of the NFL’s darlings feel what we have felt numerous times in the past.

The Oak vs Sea game also gets overlooked as one of the most BS calls of all time. Do you guys remember that one?

Woodson stripped Shaun Alexander and Dorsett recovered the ball and slid on the wet field into the endzone…SAFETY! I remember throwing my glass so hard it shattered into a thousand pieces. I was so pissed off.

These other teams have dealt with it for three weeks and cant stand it.

• kellygreenninja

Fill in the blank.

Manning’s Broncos lost to the Falcons by 6.
    Manning’s Broncos lost to the Texans by 6.
    Manning’s Broncos will lose to the Raiders by ___?

• inonewordraider

pressure Manning allday
    ______________
    with who? our guys get what 1 sack /game? if we safety blitz that leaves michael huff pat lee or joselio hanson 1 on 1..