DHB released from hospital with concussion, neck strain

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Monday, September 24th, 2012 at 11:19 am in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders announced Monday that wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey was released from Eden Medical Center after spending the night under observation.

“He is resting with a concussion and a neck strain, and expected to make a full recovery,’’ the statement said.

Heyward-Bey, 25, was injured on a helmet-to-helmet hit in the end zone by Pittsburgh defensive back Ryan Mundy during a play in which no penalty flag was thrown.

He was motionless after being hit, was strapped to a stretcher and taken off the field on a motorized card. While being driven off, Heyward-Bey was able to raise his hand and give fans a “thumbs up’’ sign.

The initial report was that Heyward-Bey had been transported to Eden Medical Center with concerns about a neck injury. Later, the Raiders said Heyward-Bey had a concussion and would be spending the night in the hospital for observation.

Coach Dennis Allen said after Oakland’s 34-31 win that Heyward-Bey was able to talk a little bit on the field.

“He was able to move his extremities so that was a good sign,’’ Allen said.

Allen meets with the media at 1 p.m. Monday.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

^^^^^^^^
    I think the big win where the place was rocking even more was the overtime win in the rain two year ago versus KC to take over first place in the division…briefly…. where Ford was making plays all over the place!

——
    I was there my first and only game ever, took my gf there and screamed of the top of my lungs , and she didn’t know wth was going on..one of the best moments of my life
    ============================================

I vaguely remember that game. Janikowsky won it in overtime. Ford had a kick off return for six. In the light rain. Still think this one is a bigger win. That game was kind of nip and tuck and we had won a few games. This one, we were winless, they were undefeated, and nothing had gone right. And we won.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

I’ve been hard on the “playmakers” on this team.

Yesterday, the Raiders had some elite players executing for them for a change.

Carson and DMAC carried the team on their backs.

• http://klas.com Klas Tjorborn

Denver is going to be tougher team to defend than Steelers. If Raiders play same type of pass coverage, Denver will run all over them.

• alex7

purv

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

They were pretty good on third downs as well yesterday.

• mcfadden20.

TheBay2LA Says:
    September 24th, 2012 at 12:51 pm
    DKnight007 Says:
    September 24th, 2012 at 12:49 pm
    I drafted Big Ben in Round 8 in one of mt drafts as well this year. Steal!
    —-
    I loathe Big Ben, but yes, has value in the FF. Better value, I picked CP3 up undrafted in week 1, and has been awesome in his first 2 starts, until benching him for Pitt matchup. Will reinsert him again this week! Would have still won with CP3 starting too!

——-
    I have Cp3 in 2 of my leagues , except 1 where it Did auto draft , also have both J Charles and McFadden in 1 of them

• alex7

team certainly looks more legit with D. Moore fully healed.

DMac had some backside cuts available on some of those stretch ZBS runs. I’m guessing he’s just not used to it, therefore not very good at it. But cut backs were there. He usually just kept trying to stretch the runs outside to no avail.

Hope he improves with reps. But it just might not be his strength.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says: He is by far the best QB we have had since Gannon. Any talk of Pryor is just plain foolish.///////////Said the same last night and Riff told me I was drunk.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

He may have been right, but I definitely was.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

Hmm, that didn’t come out right.

• DennisAllensVisor

Told you guys that Willie Smith block on the FG was legal.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

alex7 Says: the better team is the one with the better record every year for the last 9 years.//cherry picking/ I can do that. how far back you wanna go?

• raiderinparadise

we have won 4 straight in Denver, is this a home game?

• Raidernationdave

Nation!

• DKnight007

Get well soon DHB!

• mcfadden20.

Seymour Bush Says:
    September 24th, 2012 at 12:54 pm
    ^^^^^^^^

——
    ============================================

—-
    Yes, this game was better… This game had the same feel as that game ..I would gladly exchange that game for this as well

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

alex7 Says: the better team is the one with the better record every year for the last 9 years///////So the one that won yesterday is not the better team?

• TheBay2LA

Mcfadden20. Says:
    September 24th, 2012 at 12:56 pm
    TheBay2LA Says:
    September 24th, 2012 at 12:51 pm
    DKnight007 Says:
    September 24th, 2012 at 12:49 pm
    I drafted Big Ben in Round 8 in one of mt drafts as well this year. Steal!
    —-

——-
    ——
    Tits! DMAC, and Charles both took there sweet time until putting some digits up! Hopefully, it remains the same from here out!! Especially for DMAC, as that matters most to me in real life!! CP3 has been solid in real life too! And in comparison to Soup, I’d take cp3 again for a 1st and a 2nd. I really like his play so far this year and think he has been the brightest part of the roster. If the parts around him continue to get better, the trade is valid for me!

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

Superbowl is routinely won by the team that is not in fact better.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

I’m likinghow this works, Alex. You live by these rules?

• mcfadden20.

Code black 2

• DKnight007

Look for the refs to bail Manning and the Ponies this weekend.

The league and the refs will not want to see the golden boy Manning lose two games in a row….especially at home.

The refs are going to call some BS calls on the Raiders….just watch!

• Criminal Element

Peyton goes down in the third. Repeat after me, Peyton goes down in the third.

• TheBay2LA

Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure Says:
    September 24th, 2012 at 1:03 pm
    Superbowl is routinely won by the team that is not in fact better.

lolz,Oxymoron? The team that scores more points is in “fact” better. However, I think I understand your point, but should read that the SB losing team is often “questionably” better going into the game. NE vs. Giants comes to mind.

• mcfadden20.

Yeah I’m 2-1 in that league but would have easily won the other 1as well had J Charles and DMac played upto their usual standard

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

Notice how much more fun Mondays are when we win?

• TheBay2LA

DKnight007 Says:
    September 24th, 2012 at 1:04 pm
    Look for the refs to bail Manning and the Ponies this weekend.
    The refs are going to call some BS calls on the Raiders….just watch!

Criminal Element Says:
    September 24th, 2012 at 1:05 pm
    Peyton goes down in the third. Repeat after me, Peyton goes down in the third.
    —-
    Well, I suppose we’ll have no choice but to win convincingly, leaving no room for bad calls to bite us, which of course knocking Payton out would help no doubt! I say the 2nd quarter gives us a better chance!!

• TheBay2LA

RaiderDuck Says:
    September 24th, 2012 at 1:08 pm
    Notice how much more fun Mondays are when we win?

Without question, also much better when the Beavers are 2-0 and at #18, Civil War with meaning?

• dr_robert

Klas Tjorborn Says:
    September 24th, 2012 at 12:55 pm
    ****************

didn’t u say u took a beating gambling this week? maybe ur prognostication abilities aren’t too good.

i see a similar situation as this week. denver can’t run. mcgahee may be out. 50 passes coming from manning.

• raidermarty

Great news on DHB!The beauty of yesterday’s win was my 7 year old son finally “got” the RAIDERS! Up to now he couldn’t understand why dad always loses his mind during RAIDER games and yesterday when Seabass hit that game winner he was jumping up and down and screaming right alongside me- it was awesome to share that moment with him!!
    It was just great to see us play with some fire and passion and just keep fighting all game long.

• beach

One nation. Raider Nation! Let’s hit the “statue” Manning and let’s hit him hard!!!

• dr_robert

here’s the question of the day. what good is adams, francies , and ross doing on the roster if they can’t play their position?

lee is ok i guess. hanson is okay at the slot i guess. huff kinda sucks.

adams has made some nice punt returns.

francies and ross?

how about the fact that we continue to search for cb’s while chekwa is on the practice squad. if he sucks that bad, why is he around?

• dr_robert

i do see gaffney coming aboard this week. either francies, ross, or barksdale takes a hike. or they put dhb on IR.

also, i think it’s a matter of time before andre carter signs. they’re keeping tabs on him. he lives in the area. soon as his quad is good to go, he’s here. and he can definitely help the pass rush in a major way.

• DennisAllensVisor

Brandian Ross will play more as he learns the scheme.

He isnt going anywhere.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

I wouldn’t worry about referees. Converting 3rd downs and making defensive stops and forcing a couple of turnovers will go much further to winning the game than the officials.

There were several missed calls, the pick on Huff, the DHB travesty, and a couple of uncalled PIs.

But the Raiders did their job most of the time and all that wasn’t an issue.

Execute

• raiderinparadise

Charles looked scary good.

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

Dr_robert Says:
    September 24th, 2012 at 1:15 pm

===========================================

I believe we have a PS spot available. Put Nix there.

• DennisAllensVisor

dr_robert Says:
    September 24th, 2012 at 1:15 pm

—-

I dont see a WR being signed.

And there is no way DHB goes on IR.

• DennisAllensVisor

We dont have a open spot on the PS.

• dr_robert

with big willie starting and playing well, and with bergstrom getting time at OT, barksdale is on the way out.

• DennisAllensVisor

dr_robert Says:
    September 24th, 2012 at 1:17 pm

—-

That could have happened weeks ago.

Dont see how Barks has made it this far.

• raidermarty

It was great to see what CP3 could do with some time to throw- o line was solid in pass protection for the most part

• J Hill

September 24th, 2012 at 1:16 pm

———————————————————–

Agreed

• dr_robert

DennisAllensVisor Says:
    September 24th, 2012 at 1:17 pm
    dr_robert Says:
    September 24th, 2012 at 1:15 pm

—-

I dont see a WR being signed.

And there is no way DHB goes on IR.

****************

we have one sure thing, a decent veteran with not much experience, and two rookies. a 5th wr is needed for sure at this point. dhb may be done with football altogether.

reggie said he only wants to bring guys in that would be around next year too. gaffney fills the bill. ford and dhb could never suit up again for the raiders. moore is always just about to get injured. we’re a big hit away from having hagan, streater, and criner as our wr’s.

gaffney is on his way to the complex as we speak.

• raiderinparadise

The 4th and 1 call …. Giordano was 25 yards deep and ran to the sideline when the ball was snapped. lol re-watch it hilarious idk wtf he was doing

• J Hill

Brandian Ross will play more as he learns the scheme.

————————————————————

Over who????

• DennisAllensVisor

DHB is not done with football… LOL

We havent had more than 4 WRs active on gameday as it is.

• DennisAllensVisor

J Hill Says:
    September 24th, 2012 at 1:21 pm
    Brandian Ross will play more as he learns the scheme.

————————————————————

Over who????

—-

Over Huff & Hanson.

Lee & Hanson are slot guys.

Lee the better option on the outside.

• alex7

purv

I like that you’re always ready for an odd argument.

I’m pretty sure a healthy Steelers team is still considered better than a healthy Raiders team.

All I said was that to beat better teams (and the Steelers coming in were certainly considered a better team than us) you have to take chances.

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

DennisAllensVisor Says:
    September 24th, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Dont see how Barks has made it this far.

============================================

He’s a high draft pick who’s not a terrible drive-blocker. DA, Knapp and Pollack may have reached the end of their ropes with him, though. If Smith can hold down RT, then Barnes could be a deluxe backup tackle, leaving little space for the lead-footed #72.