Report: Barksdale waived

The Raiders waived third-round draft pick Joe Barksdale Wednesday morning, according to The Sideline View.

Barksdale was inactive for all three days and was bypassed for backup duty against Pittsburgh in favor of 2012 rookie Tony Bergstrom, who was moved from guard.

The LSU product joins DeMarcus Van Dyke and Chimdi Chekwa as Class of ’11 picks no longer on the Raiders’ 53-man roster.

Wide receiver Tori Gurley tweeted Tuesday night he had joined the Raiders, although it didn’t specify whether it was on the practice squad or 53-man roster.

Note: Gurley, like linebacker Vic So’oto, is an ex-Green Bay player. Gurley was among the final cuts by the Packers and was signed to the Minnesota practice squad. Unless he was recently waived by Minnesota, Gurley was likely signed to Oakland’s 53-man roster _ much like another ex-Packer _ Brandian Ross _ was last week.

Gurley was on the Packers practice squad last season when general manager Reggie McKenzie was director of football operations.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Plunketthead

Nobody wanted to set up my joke.
    I never played.

• bigsnow81

I could have been a Pro Bowl TE. I was lacking a key ability… Talent!!!

• The Big Banana

DutchRaider77 Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 11:19 am
    The Big Banana Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 11:16 am
    Outside of the traveling back east issue

—–

Flight to Denver isn’t bad
    ___________________________________________________

Spent a couple weels working on a case in Denver, a couple days almost all of Denver smelled terrible! I was told it was odor issues from the dog-food plant.

——

Purina, right? Tells you all you need to know about conventional dog food.

Used to travel to Co on business. Everything smelled of horse chit to me.

• DJ Johnny

147.theghostronin79 Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 11:25 am
    Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL
    Tight end Brandon Myers is at practice.

THAT is great news. The guy has the highest ranking of being targeted and making the catch. 15 of 15.

We have us a stud here, and what a clutch 3rd and 10 catch on Sunday to keep winning drive alive.

In addition to it being a beautiful pass from Palmer.

• omoran

I LOVE MY RAIDER’s so much that I have my BURIAL PLAQ
    with my Raiders emblems-since 1967.

• DJ Johnny

One thing I noticed while watching replay of the Pittsburgh game is the Steelers..imo…are TRAINED to be the dirty team I believe they are.

The hits from James Harrison in the past are encouraged and Mundy? He’s been head hunting for awhile and imo Tomlin LOVES IT!

• RockyMountainRaider

One of my friends was watching First Take this morning and said they were talking about the refs. And i guess Skip brought up the “Tuck Rule” game and mentioned that the refs called the commissioner who said to make sure the ball goes to New England. Did anybody catch that??

• DJ Johnny

155.omoran Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 11:31 am
    I LOVE MY RAIDER’s so much that I have my BURIAL PLAQ
    with my Raiders emblems-since 1967.

Way to go buddy.

Where were u right after the Pittsburgh game?

I was hoping to see an Omoran celebration post.

• inonewordraider

run the rock, don’t let miller and dumervil get goin. hagan streater criner myers ausberry reece and dmac need to catch everything thrown to them as bailey will be hawking moore

• Raider Riff

PurpleDrank81 Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 11:21 am
    I played High School and was recruited by a couple different Division 1 schools but due to some legal issue’s all that went away. Got done with my stint and then played for a local C.C. After all that a death in my family kept me from pursuing my football dream.

——–

Nothin’ wrong with playing for a C.C. I played one year for a C.C. A lot of guys that just love the game. Some of them with situations like yours, so just because its a CC doesnt mean their isnt talent there.

• Raider Riff

RockyMountainRaider Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 11:34 am

———-

What!!!!?!?!?!?!!?!?

Tell me more. Explain.

You got a link to a vid?

• DLang706

RaiderDuck Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 10:07 am
    DLang706 Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 9:46 am
    Gotta say it… I feel like Reggie is dumping legit developmental products for GB’s trash. No one can say that 31 other teams thought that these guys were good enough to be on there practice squad much less their 53 man roster. DVD and Barksdale were better than all of these players. I’d still rather have DVD than Pat Lee.

=================================================

Actually, all three of these guys WERE on other teams’ practice squads.

As for Barksdale: he was AWFUL in the preseason, and DVD wasn’t much better.
    Yeah but if there on a practice squad it meant 31 other teams didn’t draft them or want them on their roster. You can’t cut 3rd round picks after a year. They are third round picks because they are developmental. They would have been 1st rounders had they been NFL ready. DVD was still getting beat, but he is far better than Pat Lee, Coy Francies, and Bandion Ross.

• RockyMountainRaider

Raider Riff Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 11:38 am
    RockyMountainRaider Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 11:34 am

———-

What!!!!?!?!?!?!!?!?

Tell me more. Explain.

You got a link to a vid?
    ——————————————————

I didnt see it just hearsay, im waiting for repeat here in about an hour.

• Raider Riff

RockyMountainRaider Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 11:40 am
    Raider Riff Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 11:38 am
    RockyMountainRaider Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 11:34 am

———-

What!!!!?!?!?!?!!?!?

Tell me more. Explain.

You got a link to a vid?
    ——————————————————

I didnt see it just hearsay, im waiting for repeat here in about an hour.

———

Keep us posted on it then. Appreciated.

I always love the story about Amy Trask when that call was going down. How she was physically threatening the NFL exec in the owners box. Literally screaming at the top of her lungs.

Al may be gone, but he left his best qualities and lives on thru Amy. I’ll always take comfort in knowing she is with the org.

• omoran

JERRY -I left the blog on the day of the PITTSBURG game, all in a
    Bad mood and thought we were going to lose to 0-3 . I could not
    Live with myself,when I got the come from behind news ,tears ran on my face —Tell that to Mark Davis, Reggie and ALLEN for me! JERRY !!!

• PurpleDrank81

It was funny when kids were on the playground wanting to be The Qb and the WR I always wanted to be the Linemen…. I remember my white trash dad making me do blocking drills at 10 at night when I was like 9 lol I use to feel like the Linemen version Marinovich.

• DMAC

Morning/afternoon peoples!

• inonewordraider

Steve Corkran‏@CorkOnTheNFL

Cornerback Shawntae Spencer is not practicing.

Expand Reply
    Retweet

Favorite

• inonewordraider

Steve Corkran‏@CorkOnTheNFL

OT Khalif Barnes is not practicing. Same goes for DT Richard Seymour.

Expand Reply
    Retweet

Favorite

• PurpleDrank81

Thanks for the Spencer Update

• The Big Banana

RockyMountainRaider Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 11:34 am

——–

It’s true. Fix was in. I knew it even when it happened but Al told Skip he had it on good authority that the commish got on the phone with Walt for that one.

• DMAC

Hopefully we get Spencer back after the bye week.

• Plunketthead

Skip told the story about when Al called him , they were talking and Al said he knows for a fact that the booth man was on the phone with (i forget the name) and the head man said overturn it.

• Plunketthead

It was not the commish, it was head of something or another, another big name at the time

• omoran

Hope REGGIE keeps bringing new players from now to CHRISTMAS
    Honestly, I’m sick of the LAZY, LOSERS ,INJURED BAG OF BONES and
    UNDERACHIVERS that don’t want to win for us!
    If U dont want to be a AL ‘s RAIDER –GET OUT! !!

• Raider Riff

The Big Banana Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 11:45 am
    RockyMountainRaider Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 11:34 am

——–

——

Skip and Al were always close. Skips respect for Al even during the lean years was always prevalent and I was always greatful for that.

• inonewordraider

Jerry McDonald‏@Jerrymcd

Raiders say Barksdale `still on roster’ but just saw him walking to his car, carrying some belongings, while practice was underway.

Retweeted by Steve Corkran

• Raider Riff

Plunketthead Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 11:51 am

————–

Im not surprised. I believe it.

They broke up a dynasty with that BS call.

I remember feeling so sick I went into the bathroom and literally puked my guts out during the replay.

Then I went out side and threw a beer bottle at the side of my truck.

• DutchRaider77

Jerry McDonald‏@Jerrymcd

Retweeted by Steve Corkran

_________________________________________________

Traded? That could be nice…

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Raider Riff Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 11:54 am
    Plunketthead Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 11:51 am

————–

Im not surprised. I believe it.

They broke up a dynasty with that BS call.

Then I went out side and threw a beer bottle at the side of my truck.
    ———–
    Wait, did Skip say that Al Davis was his source for that information? If so, that is not very credible.

• Raider Riff

Plunketthead Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 11:51 am

———

I believe the story goes that Amy was in the room where one of the phone calls was going down and she was just blasting the guy on the phone.

No other team in the league even has a clue or cares about the crap we’ve had to put up with over the years. The Saints fans got it this year. But they have no idea what it is like to have to deal with it for decades on end.

• omoran

RAIDERNATION: Hope REGGIE brings 1000 new players from any
    Team and anywere, like this those that R playing
    know the REGGIE HEAT is on! !!

• RockyMountainRaider

Just listened to the podcast Skip was asked if the Sea-GB game call was the worst he ever seen, he said no and the Tuck Rule game was. Skip claims Al told him after the super bowl that his sources say the refs were on the phone with the commissioner during the review and he said to rule against Oakland.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

DLang706 Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 11:39 am

Actually, all three of these guys WERE on other teams’ practice squads.

As for Barksdale: he was AWFUL in the preseason, and DVD wasn’t much better.
    ==========================================

You can find a lot of very solid NFL ready players in the 3rd round. Eric Decker who we will see on Sunday is a 3rd rounder as well as JD Walton their starting center. Hell, Dumervil was a 4th rounder.
    The issue with Barksdale is he was not an NFL caliber tackle and had to be moved inside. He is more of a road grader than finesse zone type of guy. No reason to keep him around eating up a roster spot. Good move by Reggie.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

When the tuck rule happened, I was at a point in my life where I kind of stepped away from taking football so serious. It was unhealthy for my psyche. I watched the game and couldn’t believe the call. I didn’t take it so hard at the time. The Super Bowl year really brought me back hardcore.

• The Big Banana

RockyMountainRaider Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 11:59 am

——

Bingo! It was the commish.

• inonewordraider

____________
    let’s find those refs

• RockyMountainRaider

Mundy fined $21K.

• Raider Riff

Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 12:01 pm

———

I had season tickets back then. The SB year we got ours in the Black Hole. Every pregame we were there chanting at the refs “BRADY FUMBLED YOU MOTHERFVCKERS!”

They sometimes looked over. Most the time they just started jogging with a guilty look on their faces.

• Raider Riff

Inonewordraider Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 12:02 pm
    ____________
    let’s find those refs

——–

I’d spit in there faces in a heartbeat. Without hesitation.

• omoran

Da#m I am so proud to see a man like me in -REGGIE!!
    This is what we needed, somebody that wakes up this ORGANIZATION
    Do you guys want to lose more than 10 years in a row?
    WE ARE NOT CLEVELAND! !!!

• ohioraider

Does anybody know why Barksdale couldn’t cut it? What were his perceived weaknesses?

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

Ohioraider Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 12:09 pm

============================================

Feet of concrete and a total inability to block outside speed-rushers.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Ohioraider Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 12:09 pm
    ——
    Some say he was too smart to be a good football player.

• Raidernationdave

BAGGIES!

• omoran

Let REGGIE Go out on the field and look at practice.
    Let REGGIE and ALLEN check our army man, our soldiers
    Who are going out in the battlefield, in the trenches

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

The Big Banana Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 12:02 pm

RockyMountainRaider Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 11:59 am

——

Bingo! It was the commish.
    =========================================

I have told this story many times. If you remember that game it was supposed to be a snow storm later in the evening. The Raiders won the opening toss and Gruden wisely elected to take the ball knowing points would be at a premium especially with a major snow storm coming.

On their opening possession, The Raiders methodically drove to midfield where on a 3rd and 6 Gannon threw an easy down and out to Tim Brown for 7 yards and an easy lst down. The refs moved Brown back to where he was thrown OB, and did not give him his forward progress. Everyone went nuts. Gruden wisely challenged the call, and the refs moved the ball up, but still marked it well short of the lst down marker, and forced the Raiders to punt. It was incredible. That play bothered me more than the tuck because we all knew the fix was in.

After the game in the locker room Gruden told the team, “they are not going to allow you to win here”. It was the last game he ever coached for the Raiders.

• nwr8r

RockyMountainRaider Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 12:04 pm
    Mundy fined $21K.

*********************

Seems kind of light to me.

• DutchRaider77

194.Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 12:10 pm
    Ohioraider Says:
    September 26th, 2012 at 12:09 pm
    ——
    Some say he was too smart to be a good football player.

_____________________________________________________

Kwanne Harris II?

• fingers

Stomp the Donks…. Watching the Texas / Donk game….The Raiders can take this game on Sunday….Mannings getting off to slow starts …and the Donk secondary isnt all that …Palmer and the offense needs to pile it on … Mannings been coming back in the 2nd half but coming up short… The Raider D seemed to pick it up in the 4th qtr Sunday… They’re gonna need to do it in This Sunday too…Beat the Donkeys… Hate them.