Mentor vs. pupil Sunday

By Steve Corkran
Thursday, September 27th, 2012 at 4:02 pm in Oakland Raiders.

When Raiders coach Dennis Allen takes the field Sunday, he will square off against the man who hired him as a defensive coordinator in 2011. Denver Broncos coach John Fox also played a key role in Allen agreeing to an overture from the Raiders to supplant Hue Jackson as their head coach.
“I talked to him about a lot of different things,” Allen said. “And at the end of the day, he said, ‘Go there, and you’ll do a great job, and you’re ready for the job.’ And I’ve talked to him since then, and he doesn’t give me all the secrets but, yeah, he’s helped me out a lot.”
Allen learned much of what he knows while working under Sean Payton for five seasons with the New Orleans Saints.
Yet, he also learned valuable lessons from Fox, even though they were together only one season.
“He’s not afraid to make the tough decisions,” Allen said of Fox. “He believes in a lot of the same things that I believe in. He’s always had a tough, smart, disciplined football team, and I believe in those same things. And he’s not afraid to make tough decisions, and as you continue to go on being a head coach, you learn that you’ve got to make a lot of tough decisions in this job. ”
Already Allen has made numerous difficult decisions, along with general manager Reggie McKenzie.
They opted to part ways with starting cornerback Stanford Routt and starting outside linebacker Kamerion Wimbley. They didn’t make a play for running back Michael Bush in free agency. And they released or traded six players drafted by late managing general partner Al Davis during the offseason.

– Running back Darren McFadden was limited in practice today, as he was the day before, with a shoulder injury.
Not to worry, Allen said, it’s only a bruise.
“That really hasn’t been a factor,” Allen said.

– Defensive end Andre Carter practiced as a member of the Raiders today for the first time. Allen said it’s conceivable that Carter can play Sunday against the Broncos.
“There’s a whole lot that goes into physically and understanding how to play the game from a physical standpoint,” Allen said, “but he’s a veteran player, so he understands how to play the game. So, the learning curve for him is not quite as steep as it would be for some others.”
Allen said it’s much easier for a defensive end to get up to speed than it is for players at some other positions. Given Carter is an 11-year veteran, that makes it all the easier for him to make the quick adjustment to a new scheme.

– Defensive coordinator Jason Tarver said Michael Huff is making progress in his conversion from free safety to cornerback.
Some of the signs were evident last Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers, even though Huff struggled at times on how far to play off the reciever.
“He got more comfortable as the game went on,” Tarver said. “There are some things with body positioning as a corner where you want to end up when the play starts, and things like that, and he got more and more comfortable as it went on. And that was good. And he grew in confidence as the game went on, which is a big key.”
Getting involved in the game early figures to help Huff’s confidence, Tarver said, especially if Huff has success early against Manning.
“For any player, you want to make a play early anytime you’re in the game,” Tarver said. “That’s your ultimate. But when you don’t, you have to focus and do your job every play. A corner’s world is isolated a lot. You’re isolated. Sometimes you don’t get any action for 10 or 12 plays. So, when you’re out there, you’ve got to just keep — the best one, just keep focusing, focusing, focusing and when I get my shot, I’m going to make a play.”

– The St. Louis Rams claimed off waivers former Raiders offensive tackle Joseph Barksdale on Thursday, one day after Barksdale was released by the Raiders.
The Rams were awarded Barksdale over the New York Giants based on a worse record from 2011.
Allen said general manager Reggie McKenzie is going to remain vigilant about upgrading the roster, even if that means parting ways with a third-round draft pick so soon.
“As long as Reggie and I are here, we’re going to continue trying to build the best roster we can build and we’ll look at any moves we have to make to do that,” Allen said.
Allen said he isn’t worried about the risk of players without job security playing scared or looking over their shoulders every day.
“I wouldn’t say that’s a huge concern,” Allen said. “Obviously these players know … We understand the business and we understand the stresses that they’re under. But it’s a production business, and we all understand that. We’re going to make whatever moves we have to make to try to put the best team on the field we can.”

– The Raiders waived defensive back Akwasi Owusu-Ansah from their practice squad today. Linebacker Carl Ihenacho was signed to the practice squad at the same time, two days after being removed from the 53-man roster.

– Allen said he was aware of the fact the Raiders committed 15 penalties for 131 yards against the Broncos in the regular-season opener last season, when Allen was the Broncos defensive coordinator.
However, he didn’t recall that the Raiders also committed 15 penalties in the Broncos game at the Oakland Coliseum.

– Second-year cornerback Chimdi Chekwa is putting in his time on the practice squad, working toward a return to the 53-man roster.
Allen said he is taking notice of Chekwa and has high hopes for him down the road.
“Just keep working and continue to improve,” Allen said. “I like the fact that we have him here. He’s still a young player, he’s still got a lot of growth in him. And we haven’t made any final decisions on Chimdi. We’re letting him continue to grow as a player.”
Chekwa was active for four games last season, including one as a starter. Hamstring and shoulder injuries sidelined him for the rest of the season.
The Raiders cut him at the end of training camp, but he was signed to the practice squad one day later.

– Second-year running back Taiwan Jones’ playing time on offense has more to do with the ribs injury he suffered in the regular-season opener than the fact he bobbled a kick-off and a reverse in that game, Allen said.
“He has kind of had some sore ribs since then,” Allen said. “So, just his ability to get back from the injury – once we get him at full speed, we’ll see where we go with him.”
Allen said Jones’ ball-security issue is “fine.” That makes sense, given Jones recovered the kick and the botched reverse, which fullback Marcel Reece had a huge hand in creating with a high pitch to Jones.

– Wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey was at the facility today for the second straight day, Allen said.
Allen added that Heyward-Bey is going to be “fine.” The next step in Heyward-Bey’s recovery from the concussion and neck strain he suffered against the Steelers is passing the concussion-related tests mandated by the league.
Heyward-Bey has yet to pass those tests, Allen said, and there isn’t a timetable for his return to practice or games.
Heyward-Bey has not been made available for interviews since his injury.

• Marks hair

I dont care who moves to la… i just want the raiders supported.. and oakland doesnt… thats why the w’s are out..

• J Hill

LOL @ you watching Ellen .

HELL NAW I didn’t see that show.

You watch all them housewives shows too while you’re at the salon getting your curl touched up???

• Method To My Madness

J Hill Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 7:33 am
    The point is you sound as silly as I do lobbying for all of to root for the damn A’s.

I/ WE root for the Raiders first and foremost!!!

I could care less about the A’s.

Next thing you are going to tell us is we need to root for the damn Warrior’s to keep the morale of the the good residents of Oakland up so they can cheer for the Raiders in January.

LMFAO!
    ******************************

You have no hair drooping over your face so you should be able to read…..I never said to root for the A’s or Warriors for that matter….my issue is purposely rooting against A’s to make playoffs cuz of the dirt infield….did that stop the 2000-2002 teams from winning 33 games in a 3 year span? You are from LA I dont expect you to root for Warriors since they are in your division! But you are a Dodgers fans because Angels fans are in OC….come on Jshill…do better than this….guess that weed is messing with your brain

J Hill Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 7:33 am

I/ WE root for the Raiders first and foremost!!!

I could care less about the A’s.

LMFAO!

——–

The funniest thing about a Laker fan who is also a Raider fan is to watch them blame the refs for screwing over the Raiders over the years but then act like the Lakers have never had games/series/seasons rigged in their favor.

• Method To My Madness

J Hill Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 7:36 am
    LOL @ you watching Ellen .

HELL NAW I didn’t see that show.

****************

Again J BALDinger….ESPN and other sports shows were showing it….what dont you get about that?

Certain simple things escape you doesnt it Moses MaDOME

• Method To My Madness

Raider Riff Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 7:37 am
    J Hill Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 7:33 am

I/ WE root for the Raiders first and foremost!!!

I could care less about the A’s.

LMFAO!

——–

****************************

Ouch….oooh major ouch…..Tim Donaghy says….lol

• AmysInCharge

B,..losers like J Hill make comments like that, then have to back peddle when you shut his stupid aasss up,..way to go! LMAO

• Method To My Madness

Anyhow got an easy Friday…all I have to do is audit at one facility….then go see my A’s play tonight at 7000 Coliseum Way Oakland,Ca where the Raiders and Warriors play….thanks

Raiders 27-20 in Columbine this sunday

Yall stay solid

Just Win

Code Black 2012

Marks Hair Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 7:35 am

——–

I think the Raiders are well supported when the product on the field is decent.

If Mark Davis thinks that its going to be any different in LA, he’s got a rude awakening coming. The typical LA resident isnt going to go to a game to watch the crappy product that we’ve typically put out there.

LA wants winners and winning usually isnt enough, you gotta win with style.

I may be the minority here but I like Oakland Coliseum. It adds to the aura. I’ll miss it when it is gone.

Win games and Oakland will sell out every weekend. Keep threatening to leave and you’ll never have all your season tickets sold. People are real quick to forget that before the Raiders left Oakland the first time, the season ticket waiting list was years long. Oakland is capable of supporting this franchise. This franchise has to return the favor.

Method To My Madness Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 7:39 am
    Raider Riff Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 7:37 am
    J Hill Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 7:33 am

I/ WE root for the Raiders first and foremost!!!

I could care less about the A’s.

LMFAO!

——–

****************************

Ouch….oooh major ouch…..Tim Donaghy says….lol

——–

It’s the truth aint it?

I seriously question the rationale and sanity of any fan of both teams.

• fingers

Riff….254….. Just read your post…and no offense taken… I’ve supported the Palmer trade from the start … I don’t really worry about who agrees or not… If I did I couldn’t have an
    Opinion… I might be wrong about Palmer but that’s yet to be determined …I didn’t agree with the list of bloggers that wanted Knapp fired after 1 game either … They may end up being correct but for me and only me I think it’s a little early to take that kind of stand…..I was just reading a Colorado sports page and the headline is” Timing is taking time for Denver to display”..Manning suffering lots of incompletions and Sacks”… So.. At this time… I’d still take Palmer over Manning…

• AmysInCharge

Lol Columbine…maybe the Raiders will bail out The Joker for a day to give the Mules a pregame pep talk. ;)

• guest123

Winning is the obvious cure to the business side of things whether it’s in LA or Oakland. But the thing that could sway Mark Davis to LA are deep pockets developers that want to an NFL franchise in a marquee location like Farmers Field. It won’t really matter if it’s the Raiders, Chargers or an expansion team. The team will be an afterthought to the corporate expanison of the real estate values down there in LA. Mark Davis doesn’t live in a vacuum or burning money either. Every man has his price.

• AmysInCharge

For you losers who want the A`s to lose just to get the dirt filled in with sod, you are just bags of sh!t…the Raider players and management all want the A`s to win, because winning is what its all about,…but how would you losers know about that?…youre just a bunch of shut ins that do not go to games like Brien and myself do,..the biggest loser of them all is old man Kell,..hes the closest to the place yet never goes,…he will be the reason all Oakland teams leave,..the teams need less losers like Kell, and more like Brien, whos a huge supporter of all the local teams. Suck on that punks.

• Marks hair

If oakland wants the raiders to stay they will build a stadium. If not. I pray we end up in LA.. goodell could ship us to mexico city. The greedy fùck.

• ray_d

It’s funny how people put on their rose colored glasses after one win, Knapp is still an incompetent play caller, last week we ran the no huddle extensively, negating the need for Knapp to even call plays, Palmer had the freedom to audible to what he saw fit, this was all missing during the first two games, when Knapp called the plays. We are also moving away from strict ZB’s, Knapp is now and will be in the future inadequate in play calling, he should be the senior assistant to Palmer, help design the plays but stripped of and play calling.

• AmysInCharge

Mark, the Raiders are never leaving Oakland,…I know HER, you dont,..I have inside info, you dont. TGIF.

AmysInCharge Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 7:51 am

———

The dirt inflield should be an advantage for us since we are used to playing on it.

I find it pathetic that our own players are always the guys that seem to be suffering from it. It is the equivalent of a GB Packer that cant play in the snow.

In the 70s Al used to make muddy spots on the field that our WRs knew where they were, so the DBs would slip and fall in the mud despite the fact that it hadnt rained in Oakland since the previous spring.

Today’s players are soft.

AmysInCharge Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 7:55 am

——-

Tell her we appreciate that. Or at least I do. I sincerely mean that.

I love knowing Amy is with this team. As long as she is here, I feel that the best parts of Al are still a part of the franchise.

• Marks hair

Amy. Is oakland her? Or the raiders? I didnt get what you meant.

• Raider Riff

We dont need a new stadium. We just need to win games and thus sell out the stadium we already got.

Long live the Oakland Coliseum! A stadium fit for a bunch of malcontent fans like ourselves. It looks like a modern day elementary school (prison) and is dank and dirty like a pirate ship fit for Blackbeard himself.

I dont want some new state of the art plastic stadium that has not character. I like our home. I dont mind that the food sucks and the bathrooms are crowded and gross. We are Raiders, we should be able to handle the filth.

I love the fact that I broke the cup holder off of my seat during the first year of my season tickets, and still to this day, 10 years later, they still havent replaced it. Thats my spot. I marked it.

There’s a lot of history in that stadium. We should be using that sandy chitty field and infield dirt to our advantage, not whining about it.

• Marks hair

I admit that a prison does look perfect on you guys…

• fingers

I grew up in the easybay so I’ve always liked our stadium too… Been going there since I was 12 yrs old to watch our Raiders….. And the A’s … Very important to me that they stay in Oakland … The A’s do need a baseball stadium ..

• fingers

322..lol..

• GhostsShadow

Riff? Talk about denial? The field sucks playing on dirt. sight lines suck. bathrooms suck. concessions suck. locker rooms are archaic.
    only thing good is access from the freeway or bart.

I’ll make it easy for you to understand.

Every week you go buy the best sandwich in the world.
    You have to walk through mud to get to the door. The lines are really really long. There are fly’s everywhere. It stinks.
    Owners offer to renovate/rebuild.
    You, in your infinite wisdom, tell owners “put on extra pickles, and I’m good with the mud, lines, fly’s etc.”

The coliseum is a dump, and you know it.

• GhostsShadow

Amy is a token head.
    Anyone doubt that?
    I mean, think about it. She was helping out in the ticket sales. Something grunts handle.
    And now?
    When was the last time you even heard her name mentioned since Al passed?
    Has Reggie or Mark ever brought her up?
    Token head.

• boss01

The key to victory on sunday is not giving the WR’s that cushion that got us burned against Miami and the squeelers. Manning will be dinkin and dunkin all day, he gets rid of the ball within 2-3 seconds. He takes what the D gives him, and if you blitz, he usually burns you.

Here is where Allen and Tarver need to earn their paycheck. They need to figure out how to disguise the blitzes against Manning effectively, otherwise it will be a long day.

• fingers

Boss… Thought the samething … Coverage was to soft…..

• fingers

I was just reading some Colorado sports pages and they’re saying Mannings been taking a lot of hits…throwing a lot of incompletions

• boss01

Keeping Manning off the field by establishing the run game won’t hurt either. No huddle or not, need to win the time of possession battle too.

Hopefully the refs aren’t the usual Raider haters as always

GhostsShadow Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 8:19 am
    only thing good is access from the freeway or bart.

I’ll make it easy for you to understand.

Every week you go buy the best sandwich in the world.
    Owners offer to renovate/rebuild.

The coliseum is a dump, and you know it.

————

I know it is a dump. And I like it that way. Im not afraid to admit it.

Ive been to the plastic stadiums, I dont like them. No character.

The A’s need a dedicated stadium that is baseball friendly. But for football, I love the Coliseum. Ive sat everywhere in that place and never felt I didnt have a good view. Mt Davis, top row, Black Hole, EndZone 2nd and 3rd levels, 50 yard line, EVERYWHERE I had a good time.

Do the concessions suck? I think I said they do in my initial post. They are horrible. But I dont care. Give me nachos, beer, and decent braut, and a soft pretzel and Im fine. Leave the sushi, wine, and cheese to the f@gs across the bay.

The Coliseum is a dump. You are right. And I like it that way. I got too many good memories there.

• Marks hair

Amy trask? Thats who he meant? How is she gonna keep us in oakland?.. that post makes no sense.

Boss01 Says:

Hopefully the refs aren’t the usual Raider haters as always

——–

You know it is coming.

The moment this locker room is starting to get a little confidence, starting to believe they can win games, the NFL is going to remind these guys who is in charge. Plant that seed in a athletes mind that shakes their belief in winning.

We’ve seen it plenty. I dont know why we wouldnt expect otherwise.

But we’ve also won in those conditions. We just have to be ELITE to do it. We have the QB and RB to do it. I believe we can still overcome the refs in this game.

GhostsShadow Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 8:22 am
    Amy is a token head.
    Anyone doubt that?
    And now?
    When was the last time you even heard her name mentioned since Al passed?
    Has Reggie or Mark ever brought her up?
    Token head.

———-

I dont think so.

She handles the business end.

Reggie handles the football end.

Mark Davis observes and evaluates.

It’s actually the perfect management structure. Then again, I dont expect Raider fans to know what that looks like much less support it.

• Marks hair

We need to score.. pm will pass for 350 and 4 tds most likely

• fingers

Until we get a new stadium I’m gonna keep enjoying the one we have… .. I grew up with it… And I’d like to see us get a new one…nothing I can say on game 4 of the 2012 seasons is gonna change that fact that right now were where we are…lots of history in that old grey stadium… I hope they build a new stadium on that site…

• boss01

333.Raider Riff Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 8:32 am
    Boss01 Says:

Hopefully the refs aren’t the usual Raider haters as always

——–

You know it is coming.

We’ve seen it plenty. I dont know why we wouldnt expect otherwise.

=============

That’s why I was hoping the fake refs would call games at least one more week, now its back to the same raider hatin refs

• fingers

Mark… Agree… Gonna need lots of scoring …. I’d be really suprised if it was a low scoring game .. Like the old days

• fingers

Ok.., I have some chores to do… Y’all be good and Raider on… Later

Boss01 Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 8:36 am
    333.Raider Riff Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 8:32 am
    Boss01 Says:

Hopefully the refs aren’t the usual Raider haters as always

——–

You know it is coming.

We’ve seen it plenty. I dont know why we wouldnt expect otherwise.

=============

————-

I swear, half the reason our guys find ways to lose games is because of the conditioning that theyve received from the ref’s over the years.

Ever notice how guys that first come to our team from winning orgs in college have a lot of fight in them and are great early? Then after a few tuck jobs they just start to expect and find ways to lose? When the flags start pouring in its almost like manifest destiny.

Every player that has ever played for us and then gone somewhere else knows what it is like.

Hopefully our guys just play their a55es off and overcome. This is where DA and Tarver have to earn their money.

• Marks hair

He said amy wont let mark sell.. you agree? I dont she has that power.

Marks Hair Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 8:40 am
    He said amy wont let mark sell.. you agree? I dont she has that power.

————

He said that Amy wont let Mark move the Raiders.

• Thec

Amy Trask is 1000% Raider.

Do not get it twisted, AmyTtrask is 1000% RAIDER bizness.

• Marks hair

Dmac and meyers need to go off…

• Raider Riff

Whether she has that sort of power is unlikely. Whether she has that sort of influence over Mark is a whole ‘nother debate and probably very likely.

While Mark was doing lines at Chico, Al was teaching his adopted daughter Amy how to run things from the ground up. Mark needs Amy tremendously. Al had his hand in a lot of business endeavors in the Oakland area. Those are critical to the Raiders and Marks cash flow.

I would expect that Amy and Mark have almost a brother/sister relationship and that he leans on her a lot. She was the son that Al never got. Mark would be a fool to not lean on her. And from weve seen, he’s not afraid to relinquish control to those more qualified and admit to what he doesnt know.

• Marks hair

342.. i said we could end up in mexico city. He said she wont ever let us leave oakland.. mexico would =a sale….. that he said amy wont let happen… again. I dont think she has that power…

• Plunketthead

I want the Oakland Raiders and the black hole to have a huge home field advantage.

I want opposing players to actually HATE coming here and theres only one way to accomplish that.

Can they build a stadium and not concentrate on luxury boxes. Concentrate on selling out a 55 to 65 thousand seat stadium every game. Make every seat a great one and make sure there is plenty of peepots and beer/food with easy access.

I realize the lux boxes are suppose to bring in the big money but screw that. Times are getting tough and theres not many L.B being sold. I bet everyone is having a hard time selling them.

Would that work? Become more thrifty

Commited to Thriftyness!!

• theghostronin79

=================

Absolute truth….All of it.
    When I see the laundry hitting the deck, and one of our boys springs to his feet from the ground, claps his hands together and other guys smackin him on the helmet and shoulders while already getting in position for the next play……I know the fight is ON. They’re in the right place.

If after the penalty, the dude looks at the big screen with a look on his face like he just smelled an egg fart….His teammates shoulders slump, heads shakin, eyes rolling……I know they’ve fallen into the “Victim Mode” and they say Fu*k this noise, and they game gets increasingly ugly.

• Plunketthead

Share it with the A’s. They have a hard enough time filling seats. Luxury boxes wont help them fill seats.

Go Athletics!!

Theghostronin79 Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 8:53 am

=================

Absolute truth….All of it.

———

“Victim mode”…. yep. That is the perfect term.

It is so prevalent, that us in the Raider Nation all suffer from it. We’re like Boston fans in the way we expect the worst always. It wasnt always like that. We used to expect to win. I’d say over the last 20 years the NFL has done a very good job of conditioning us, the org, and the players to all suffer from “Victim syndrom”.