Mentor vs. pupil Sunday

When Raiders coach Dennis Allen takes the field Sunday, he will square off against the man who hired him as a defensive coordinator in 2011. Denver Broncos coach John Fox also played a key role in Allen agreeing to an overture from the Raiders to supplant Hue Jackson as their head coach.
“I talked to him about a lot of different things,” Allen said. “And at the end of the day, he said, ‘Go there, and you’ll do a great job, and you’re ready for the job.’ And I’ve talked to him since then, and he doesn’t give me all the secrets but, yeah, he’s helped me out a lot.”
Allen learned much of what he knows while working under Sean Payton for five seasons with the New Orleans Saints.
Yet, he also learned valuable lessons from Fox, even though they were together only one season.
“He’s not afraid to make the tough decisions,” Allen said of Fox. “He believes in a lot of the same things that I believe in. He’s always had a tough, smart, disciplined football team, and I believe in those same things. And he’s not afraid to make tough decisions, and as you continue to go on being a head coach, you learn that you’ve got to make a lot of tough decisions in this job. ”
Already Allen has made numerous difficult decisions, along with general manager Reggie McKenzie.
They opted to part ways with starting cornerback Stanford Routt and starting outside linebacker Kamerion Wimbley. They didn’t make a play for running back Michael Bush in free agency. And they released or traded six players drafted by late managing general partner Al Davis during the offseason.

– Running back Darren McFadden was limited in practice today, as he was the day before, with a shoulder injury.
Not to worry, Allen said, it’s only a bruise.
“That really hasn’t been a factor,” Allen said.

– Defensive end Andre Carter practiced as a member of the Raiders today for the first time. Allen said it’s conceivable that Carter can play Sunday against the Broncos.
“There’s a whole lot that goes into physically and understanding how to play the game from a physical standpoint,” Allen said, “but he’s a veteran player, so he understands how to play the game. So, the learning curve for him is not quite as steep as it would be for some others.”
Allen said it’s much easier for a defensive end to get up to speed than it is for players at some other positions. Given Carter is an 11-year veteran, that makes it all the easier for him to make the quick adjustment to a new scheme.

– Defensive coordinator Jason Tarver said Michael Huff is making progress in his conversion from free safety to cornerback.
Some of the signs were evident last Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers, even though Huff struggled at times on how far to play off the reciever.
“He got more comfortable as the game went on,” Tarver said. “There are some things with body positioning as a corner where you want to end up when the play starts, and things like that, and he got more and more comfortable as it went on. And that was good. And he grew in confidence as the game went on, which is a big key.”
Getting involved in the game early figures to help Huff’s confidence, Tarver said, especially if Huff has success early against Manning.
“For any player, you want to make a play early anytime you’re in the game,” Tarver said. “That’s your ultimate. But when you don’t, you have to focus and do your job every play. A corner’s world is isolated a lot. You’re isolated. Sometimes you don’t get any action for 10 or 12 plays. So, when you’re out there, you’ve got to just keep — the best one, just keep focusing, focusing, focusing and when I get my shot, I’m going to make a play.”

– The St. Louis Rams claimed off waivers former Raiders offensive tackle Joseph Barksdale on Thursday, one day after Barksdale was released by the Raiders.
The Rams were awarded Barksdale over the New York Giants based on a worse record from 2011.
Allen said general manager Reggie McKenzie is going to remain vigilant about upgrading the roster, even if that means parting ways with a third-round draft pick so soon.
“As long as Reggie and I are here, we’re going to continue trying to build the best roster we can build and we’ll look at any moves we have to make to do that,” Allen said.
Allen said he isn’t worried about the risk of players without job security playing scared or looking over their shoulders every day.
“I wouldn’t say that’s a huge concern,” Allen said. “Obviously these players know … We understand the business and we understand the stresses that they’re under. But it’s a production business, and we all understand that. We’re going to make whatever moves we have to make to try to put the best team on the field we can.”

– The Raiders waived defensive back Akwasi Owusu-Ansah from their practice squad today. Linebacker Carl Ihenacho was signed to the practice squad at the same time, two days after being removed from the 53-man roster.

– Allen said he was aware of the fact the Raiders committed 15 penalties for 131 yards against the Broncos in the regular-season opener last season, when Allen was the Broncos defensive coordinator.
However, he didn’t recall that the Raiders also committed 15 penalties in the Broncos game at the Oakland Coliseum.

– Second-year cornerback Chimdi Chekwa is putting in his time on the practice squad, working toward a return to the 53-man roster.
Allen said he is taking notice of Chekwa and has high hopes for him down the road.
“Just keep working and continue to improve,” Allen said. “I like the fact that we have him here. He’s still a young player, he’s still got a lot of growth in him. And we haven’t made any final decisions on Chimdi. We’re letting him continue to grow as a player.”
Chekwa was active for four games last season, including one as a starter. Hamstring and shoulder injuries sidelined him for the rest of the season.
The Raiders cut him at the end of training camp, but he was signed to the practice squad one day later.

– Second-year running back Taiwan Jones’ playing time on offense has more to do with the ribs injury he suffered in the regular-season opener than the fact he bobbled a kick-off and a reverse in that game, Allen said.
“He has kind of had some sore ribs since then,” Allen said. “So, just his ability to get back from the injury – once we get him at full speed, we’ll see where we go with him.”
Allen said Jones’ ball-security issue is “fine.” That makes sense, given Jones recovered the kick and the botched reverse, which fullback Marcel Reece had a huge hand in creating with a high pitch to Jones.

– Wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey was at the facility today for the second straight day, Allen said.
Allen added that Heyward-Bey is going to be “fine.” The next step in Heyward-Bey’s recovery from the concussion and neck strain he suffered against the Steelers is passing the concussion-related tests mandated by the league.
Heyward-Bey has yet to pass those tests, Allen said, and there isn’t a timetable for his return to practice or games.
Heyward-Bey has not been made available for interviews since his injury.

Steve Corkran

• Marks hair

I cant even watch baseball highlights anymore.. just too boring. Its the only sport that id enjoy a little league game or even girls as much as the pros.

Lets Go Swingin A’s

• Thec

I do not have a read on this game with the Broncos.

Only thing I can say is JCRINER.

“IF” his ankle is healed, this will be a coming out party.

• Plunketthead

The football players and the national media should be ashamed of themselves but that wont happen because they are shamless.

The ballers because the Reps never had a chance. The players treated them with scorn and got in their faces every chance they got starting in game one.

The media for being drama queens and acting like the regs were something they are not.

But you know who deserves my scorn the most? The owners for allowing it to take place. After the first game Roger should have sent the memo.

Get in a refs face and get a 25,000 fine. Second time is 100 grand and third is game suspension.

That would have solved 90% of the problems. Then get “more experianced refs” to advise the reps.

But thats all over the bridge.

• Raider Riff

Plunketthead Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 8:51 am
    I want the Oakland Raiders and the black hole to have a huge home field advantage.

I want opposing players to actually HATE coming here and theres only one way to accomplish that.

Can they build a stadium and not concentrate on luxury boxes. Concentrate on selling out a 55 to 65 thousand seat stadium every game. Make every seat a great one and make sure there is plenty of peepots and beer/food with easy access.

I realize the lux boxes are suppose to bring in the big money but screw that. Times are getting tough and theres not many L.B being sold. I bet everyone is having a hard time selling them.

Would that work? Become more thrifty

Commited to Thriftyness!!

—————————-

Have other stadiums tried this? Going with the no-luxury box focus?

I remember seeing a diagram of the City of Industry stadium project and that stadium was projected to do like 75k and have the boxes.

I used to love the box that Playboy had right above the Black Hole back in 2002. Playmates were always getting ejected for showing their tits out over the crowd. Happened in like 3 or 4 games. Too funny.

(cue Beech to come in here and claim that he was in that luxury box with those girls)

I think the whole point of a new stadium is more boxes. They could care less about giving us better bathrooms.

I’d love to see a 75k seat sold out stadium full of REAL FANS but Im also perfectly happy with the stadium we got. When it’s rocking, its a damn fun place to be.

“Victim mode”…. yep. That is the perfect term

++++++++

Come in the blog during game days, total negativity.

It will be a couple of guys with rally caps on, eveyone else will be jumping off the bride, durig every single play.

• Plunketthead

Marks hair

You have to actually being at the game.

For me its like a magic show.
    I luv me some twilight baseball

• Raider Riff

Thec Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 9:03 am
    I do not have a read on this game with the Broncos.

Only thing I can say is JCRINER.

“IF” his ankle is healed, this will be a coming out party.

——-

All the semi’s want him in the slot. But I think he’s going to be our deep threat.

Keep Streater, Hagan, and D17 as our go to receivers over the middle. They know the playbook better at this point and are more game-ready.

We still kinda need to work Criner into the gameplan do we not?

• Marks hair

Youd have fun in a state of the art stadium too riff. Its the Raiders that matter.

• Thec

We still kinda need to work Criner into the gameplan do we not?
    +++++++++

The ORG has allways had big plans for JCRINER. The injury has set him back no doubt however, I have allways beleived he is a footBaller.

I would imaghine, the KNAPP will have some good packages using him.

I expect him to have a big game.

• Raider Riff

Thec Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 9:06 am
    “Victim mode”…. yep. That is the perfect term

++++++++

Come in the blog during game days, total negativity.

———

Ive seen it.

Its the same thing in the stadium too though with the fans.

Same thing in the bars.

Its so think you can cut it with a knife and you know the players can feel it. 65,000 people all feeling the same thing in that small an area has to have some sort of esp type affect on the players.

Numerous “tuck jobs” will do that to a fan base and org.

+++++++++++

I will take him in singles over any DB….

• Plunketthead

Riff “They” want the LBs and they say thats where the money is. But we all know they all like lazy dogs, every chance they get.

For them its more about impressing others and getting their hands on some more plastic boobs.

I say we dont want or need LB’s. Raiders will make more money if they build cheaper and put a good product on the field. Fans will fill it up and other teams will hate life especially if the B starts a taunting school

• Raider Riff

Marks Hair Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 9:08 am

——–

Not if it is in downtown LA and we have no parking lot to tailgate in.

The NFL would love to put us in a stadium that has no parking lot so that they can put a serious dent in part of what makes the Nation, the Nation.

• Thec

Numerous “tuck jobs” will do that to a fan base and org.

++++++++++

the tuck job was a travesty however, I know one day soon we will rise.

I never expect us to lose against anyone.

• Marks hair

357. Cant do it.. my last baseball game attended was a 3A game that went 12 innings… i didnt care if we lost i was ready to go.

• Thec

Kick me in the azz for my comments on Myers….

That young Mister is ballin out.

• Raider Riff

Plunketthead Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 9:11 am

—–

Luxury boxes bring in so much more revenue than regular seats.

But that is where I dont get it. We have A TON of luxury boxes in our stadium (maybe not as many as they’d like). How many more do they think they can sell?

Trust me, I’d prefer the cheaper stadium that caters to the fan and not the dollar but in all reality, that is what we already have.

A new stadium just means higher ticket prices, less REAL FANS, and more security. And yeah, better bathrooms and concessions.

I dunno. I’ve already weighed in plenty on this issue. Im going to enjoy the Coliseum as much as I can and I’ll be sad when it is gone. And if and when we get a new stadium, I”ll give it a honest review on this blog, taking everything into consideration.

I tell you one thing, moving to LA will really suck. City of Industry will be a nice stadium, but it will be in the middle of nowhere. And the downtown stadium would be convenient, but we will not get to tailgate. It will suck. The “Raider element” will be systematically killed off, and so will our home field advantage.

Whatever happens, I hope we stay in Oakland. And Im a LA guy that will be moving back there soon and my gf wants to be a Raiderette if they move to LA. As much as that would tickle my fancy, I’d rather the team stays where it belongs and I’ll fly up to games when I have too.

• Thec

Carter will be programmed to play with 1 assignment.

KILL the qb.

Like a great man once said;

” The quarterback must go down, and go down hard”

• Raider Riff

Thec Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 9:18 am
    Kick me in the azz for my comments on Myers….

That young Mister is ballin out.

——-

We all had it wrong. Dont be too hard on yourself.

Heck, even our coaches were worried and the TE squad has exceeded everyones expectations.

• CanuckRaider

#354: Great post Plunketthead…I really felt bad for the replacement refs, being thrown into a no-win situation where they were in way over their heads…Then they don’t even get backed by the owners…Pretty sad when a multi-billion dollar corporation lets this go down…But then, that seems to be the business model these days…Disgusting!

• Thec

We all had it wrong. Dont be too hard on yourself.

++++++

I wont be however, he will still be Oscar Meyers.

• Raider Riff

Thec Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 9:13 am
    Numerous “tuck jobs” will do that to a fan base and org.

++++++++++

the tuck job was a travesty however, I know one day soon we will rise.

I never expect us to lose against anyone.

———–

Dont lie. You know the feeling of dread that every Raider fan gets in their gut during the second half of the games we lose.

For me, it started against Denver (or maybe KC) on Monday Nite football @home in about ’95 or ’96. Tim Brown caught a diving touchdown and rolled into the end zone. And then we just somehow just found a way to loose. I never forgot that feeling. And Ive felt it many times since.

• Raider Riff

Plunketthead Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 9:04 am

But thats all over the bridge.

——–

Spot on.

• Thec

the “traditionals” coming back will mean that we get penalized more?

If so it will go to prove the theory.

+++++++++++

hahahahahahaha….thats called indigestion, from the bad pizza….

• Raider Riff

Thec Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 9:31 am
    the “traditionals” coming back will mean that we get penalized more?

If so it will go to prove the theory.

———–

And our cries and complaints will once again fall on deaf ears.

• Thec

And our cries and complaints will once again fall on deaf ears.

++++++++

Yeah, its not like we are GB, or the Pats….

No matter, guys will do their jobs, wont be an issue.

remove the zebs from the equation.

• CanuckRaider

Wonder if we’ll use more 3 – 4 against Denver…Manning historically had the most trouble against the 3 – 4…See the early 2,000s Patriots who played it a lot and the Chargers of a few years back.

• Raider Riff

Thec Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 9:32 am

+++++++++++

hahahahahahaha….thats called indigestion, from the bad pizza….

———-

You’d be hard pressed to find bad pizza in Italy.

Only 11 days left here and then I return to the USA full time. Im so bummed. I’d love to stay and I certainly dont want to go back to America.

Gonna go eat some pizza tonite at our favorite spot.

• Raider Riff

Thec Says:

No matter, guys will do their jobs, wont be an issue.

remove the zebs from the equation.

————-

That was Gruden’s Raiders. And they still “tucked” us.

Sorry, until we actually win it all, Im going to have a hard time trusting the league.

++++++++

I dont trust then either…

• Thec

You’d be hard pressed to find bad pizza in Italy.

++++++++++

that comment was for me…lol

I did not know you were in Italy, what city?

I bet the food is fanfuggintastic

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I miss AL!

• CanuckRaider

Don’t worry about the refs…If we don’t play like boneheads they won’t be a factor…Allen won’t put up with the nonsense that went on in the past and the players know it…End of story.

• DutchRaider77

Lazy…Did anybody hear if Stan Routt has been “cured” of his PI penalties?

• CanuckRaider

The one Chefs game I’ve seen this year Routt didn’t get flagged for anything…He was just giving too much cushion in the first half (Sound familiar?) but tightened it up in the second…Romeo must have reemed him out at halftime…The Chefs like press coverage.

• inonewordraider

manning is salivating at the idea of going up against our cb’s and lack of pressure. If he’s truly 100%, play carter/shaugnessey/Tollefson at de and Kelly and Seymour at dt LOTS as we need natural pressure. No matter how effective a run game, Manning won’t be looking to hand it off. Be very physical with their Wr’s off the line with LB and Safety help

• The Big Banana

You’d be hard pressed to find bad pizza in Italy.

—–

Not so sure about that. Italy has its tourist traps. More so than other European countries IMO. But, as long as you can spot those and avoid them, I agree wholeheartedly. Italy has some incredible food. Have the cuttlefish (sepia) in Venice then thank me afterwards. You’ll think you’ve died and gone to heaven.

Houston is not a DE…

• Thec

Houston is more disruptive playing inside where he can beast up.

• Thec

I am suprised a zeb has not gotten roughed up by a fan at a Raider game.

• CanuckRaider

If our CBs play as soft as they have so far Manning will pick us apart…Our pass rush (or lack thereof thus far) has to at least make him uncomfortable and move him around.

• Thec

I hated ups playing 5-7 yards off the steeler Wr’s.

Wanted to see more press man cov.

• Thec

The D schematic dictates what the cb’s do.

My hope is that we change it up some.

• Thec

Anyhow i am outtro for now.

ALL ou guys have a GREAT day.

1 NATION

• inonewordraider

Manning figures this is his opportunity to prove he can still throw the acccurate deep ball

• tonedeezy

the QB must go down. early and often. even if he gets rid of the ball, he can’t make it to halftime with a clean jersey.
    make it happen.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Thec Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 9:50 am
    Houston is not a DE…
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Houston can play DE, but he is a better fit at the DT position IMO.
    Base:
    LDE: Houston
    DT: Seymour/ Bryant
    DT: TK/ Bryant
    RDE: Shaughnessy

Nickel:
    LDE: Shaughnessy/ Tollefson
    DT: Seymoyr/ TK/ Bryant/ Houston
    RDE: carter

4 man (Seymour, TK, Bryant, and Houston) rotation at DT. Backup DT: Biludiki
    Backup DE: Crawford

• inonewordraider

make it happen
    _______________
    damn i wish the replacement refs would have stayed, will we ever have less penalties over a 3 game span?