Practice updates; Broncos LB Mays out

By Steve Corkran
Thursday, September 27th, 2012 at 12:30 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Recently signed defensive end Andre Carter is at practice today, wearing No. 97 and seeking to get up to speed in time to provide a boost to the Raiders pass rush Sunday against the Denver Broncos.
Carter said he is at 100 percent after missing the latter part of last season with a quadriceps injury, while a member of the New England Patriots.
It remains to be seen whether he can learn enough of the defense and get into satisfactory football shape between now and Sunday’s game.

– Wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey (concussion, neck strain), right offensive tackle Khalif Barnes and cornerback Shawntae Spencer (foot) are the only three players not at practice today.
Therefore, it’s likely that Derek Hagan or rookie Rod Streater will start opposite Denarius Moore on Sunday, with rookie Juron Criner perhaps seeing his most playing time of the season.
It’s also a near certainty that Willie Smith will start in place of Barnes, with Michael Huff filling in for Spencer for a second straight game.

– Defensive tackle Richard Seymour is at practice today after missing the proceedings the day before with a sore knee.
A slew of players that were limited in practice Wednesday are on the field today. We won’t know until after practice how much they were able to go today.
The media are limited to viewing the first 30 minutes of practice, at which time the Raiders commence full-team drills in earnest.

– Broncos coach John Fox said Thursday that the suspension of linebacker Joe Mays was upheld, meaning Mays won’t play Sunday against the Raiders.
Mays was suspended for one game for a vicious hit on Houston Texans quarterback Matt Schaub last Sunday on a play on which Schaub lost part of his ear.

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

Barksdale has been claimed by the Rams.

• omoran

OKAY! RAIDERNATION—TAKING PREDITIONS FOR DONKEES GAME. -Whoever is the closet will get a CONGRATS by all Raider’s
    BLOGGERS IN CORKY PLACE !
    Take –34-20 Donkees

• MiamiRaider78

I wonder how many games of Madden Barksdale got in between the time he got released and when he got signed?

Wasn’t he known for being really interested in playing video games?

Like almost more than real football? lol

• omoran

DONKEES 34-20 -Over Raiders– 1-3

• Raider Riff

Lefty12 Says:
    September 27th, 2012 at 2:59 pm
    Ghost-I hate the whiners,if you can’t handle that tough sh!t.Rice,Craig,and to some extent but not nearly as much,Lott all proclaim themselves whiners forever.Why should Raider fans associate with them.They don’t associate with us.Romo played for numerous teams and doesn’t proclaim to have red and gold blood.He embraces the Raiders.Once again-I HATE THE WHINERS.

—————-

I never liked the way Rice did his HOF speech. I felt he dissed us to some extent. When he was with us and shortly after retirement, he proclaimed Gannon the best QB he ever played with. Then in his HOF speech he didnt even mention us or Gannon. It was too obvious to ignore on my part.

I cant hate the guy though entirely. He’s still the best player in NFL history and Im glad he wore the silver & black. It was a childhood dream of mine to have him and Deion on our team. We almost got Deion, twice.

Craig, Lott, & Dickerson were just trophies for Al in my opinion. Guys he always wished he could have. And he wanted to be able to say he had them at some point in their careers. Same with Rathman.

Romo on the other hand always was a Raider. Al knew it. Romo knew it. We just didnt know it until he played for us. And now we know it and embrace it, the same way he still embraces us.

I used to get up at the front row of the Black Hole during pregame and I’d always call Romo over and ask him to “kill someone today for me”. He just stare at me, raise a fist, and nod in a way that said “you know it”.

I actually hated Romo and was mad when we got him. But my dad would say to me that entire preseason, youre going to love him, just wait, he was made for you guys. I argued that I would never accept Romo. But all it took was the first hit and then I became a lifelong fan.

I loved it when he injured Shannon Sharpe.

• theghostronin79

So what do you all think about Sunday? I know “IF” this, “THEN” that….all the could’s and probably’s aside.

What does your gut tell you….We gonna put the Donks down?

• raiderinparadise

tonedeezy Says:
    September 27th, 2012 at 2:51 pm
    Not worried about this Sunday. Palmer proved last Sunday that he is a great leader. He won the game when Knapp gave up playcalling duties.
    The answer was so simple all along…

———

True, true …. this is a road test tho.

Believe me, Denver is very aware that we have won 4 straight there … they will be pumped. Great advantafe that they down 3 LB’s tho.

• raiderinparadise

theghostronin79 Says:
    September 27th, 2012 at 3:10 pm

What does your gut tell you….We gonna put the Donks down?

————–

YES. I say our Defense has its best game of season thus far, hold them to 18 points.

• MiamiRaider78

theghostronin79 Says:
    September 27th, 2012 at 3:10 pm

What does your gut tell you….We gonna put the Donks down?
    _____________

Using my Reggie gut powers, I say we win but it won’t be because of our offense playing lights out. DLINE will put pressure on Manning and he’ll be easier to bring down once the paws are put on him, unlike Ben. Carter will be used selectively and on occasion get his hands in Mannings face.

Raiders 26 Broncos 21

• Raider Riff

Kinda funny how Bruce Campbell was once considered a possible top 10 pick hahahahahahahahahah…. Bleacher report. Sigh.

• The Beeech Dawg

MiamiRaider78 Says:
    September 27th, 2012 at 2:55 pm

How it all started for me as a fan:

Raider fan since a child when, Bo Jackson carried the backfield w/ Marcus Allen,
    Schroeder overthrowing track stars farther than a javelin, Was mad back then,
    stone cold like Ralph Wilson in 91, Heartbroken teen, dried up tears I was done, But that begun the loyalty-the black hole occupied my heart, even when it’s destroying me,
    The silver lining’s a patched pirate, Raider Nation everywhere, even CBS keeps it open-”one eye lid”
    Give any limb to see the Lombardi hoisted, for the Oakland faithful and Al’s torch lit,
    for Blanda, Plunkett, The Snake and Flores, Madden, Long, the ghost of Alzado’s voices,
    Roaming Alameda with Eric Turner and Bender, the 11th man vs the Texans was no pretender,

Said who sent you, that’s me jack
    DMAC punch it in

“Code Black”

Go Raiders!

————

Yo Miami Homie

That fresh rap was mo FRESH SWIZZLE

Next time I’m in town doing my solo hip hop show at the ‘Blue, you gots to come on stage and represent

Afterward we’ll hit the Gold Rush and get some free hummers in the VIP, whut whut

• YoungAmerican
  • YoungAmerican

Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL

#Raiders waive DB Akwasi Owusu-Ansah from the practice squad. LB Carl Ihenacho signed to the practice squad.

• omoran

Do we have the power to -Shake, Rattle, and Rock?
    Can we say WE WILL EVEN ROCK YOU–to MANNING ?
    He is trying to make a hit some day –PLEASE somebody put
    This OLD MAN BACK IN HIS PLACE, WE will even rock-I’m !

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

tonedeezy Says:
    September 27th, 2012 at 2:51 pm
    ==========================================

Just Last Sunday? What about the other 6 or 7 games prior to that where he played extremely well in the face of adversity?

• YoungAmerican

I’ve always wondered how Owusu-Ansah would look if he was ever allowed to play CB instead of S. Long, fast athlete.

• Raider Riff

Does anyone here know Ronnie Lott’s 40 yard dash time?

• ottocrat

Anybody who thinks that our weak-azz defensive backfield isn’t going to get torched by Manning on Sunday is delusional. Doesn’t mean that we won’t win, but it’s going to be difficult.

• TheBay2LA

Theghostronin79 Says:
    September 27th, 2012 at 3:10 pm

What does your gut tell you….We gonna put the Donks down?
    ——

Yeah man, I’m always too quick to sip the Kool-aid and whenever the Raiders put an impressive game together I’m always quick to think they’re the best ever!! Except, in recent history the Raiders have had an uncanny ability to come out and suck after great wins. But hopefully thats just me over thinking it. I like the Raiders this weekend, and for the 5th straight in Dungver! I think the Donks D is a bit banged up, and CP3 and company “should” be able to build on last weeks performance. But there is no room for error facing Manning. Will be awesome I hope!! Raiders 30- Donks 24

• RaiderDanny

I thought i saw Winslow on the Patriots the other night??

• raiderinparadise

Eevryone should be behind Palmer, he has put some great film out for defenses to have to study, and he has hit many different weapons as well. You noly go far in this league with great QB play, unless you have an elite defense, which we obviously don’t.

So Palmer needs to carry us as our defense continues to try and get better with the season and new personnel.

• RaiderDanny

Ronnie Lott went to my HS thought he was in the 4.37 range

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

ottocrat Says:
    September 27th, 2012 at 3:23 pm

============================================

They’ll improve. Lee didn’t play a lot last year, Hanson and Huff are playing different positions. I would expect to see improvement week by week.

• MiamiRaider78

ottocrat Says:
    September 27th, 2012 at 3:23 pm
    _____________

Thats why our defensive line is going to have to play like theyre possessed.

• omoran

This Owasu and Inacho -names of mexican oriental restaurants?

• raiderinparadise

@seymourbush

I agree the defense will improve.

The new personnel moving around will help too.

But until then if they can just force turnovers to off-set the amount of yards they give up it can keep the scoreboard balanced.

• realtruraider

RaiderDanny Says:
    September 27th, 2012 at 3:26 pm
    I thought i saw Winslow on the Patriots the other night??

—————————————————–

Yes you did, but he asked for his release and the Pats released him today

• TheBay2LA

RaiderDanny Says:
    September 27th, 2012 at 3:26 pm
    I thought i saw Winslow on the Patriots the other night??

He asked to be released today.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Ottocrat Says:
    September 27th, 2012 at 3:23 pm

——————–
    I was surprised we won last week with the game Big Ben had.

• raiderinparadise

To be honest I think our defense wins the game Sunday.

• RaiderDanny

Well see thats what im here for! The scoop! What thje word is! Thanks reatruraider!

• omoran

Can we tackle good enough, or should Allen have to buy a bucket of BUTTER FINGERS and put it the Locker Room!

• SaintKaufman

Put it the locker room!

• realtruraider

Mannings goin to light us up. We just have to hope that Carson and DMC do the same to there defense. Spencer should be back after the bye week, atleast I hope so the falcons have a few more weapons than the Donks.

• Al_is_theraiders

hopefully krappy will sit this one out….we need the win.

• RaiderDanny

Would like to see ALOT more Ausberry!!

• ArmChair GM

KoolKell Says:
    September 27th, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Ottocrat Says:
    September 27th, 2012 at 3:23 pm

——————–
    I was surprised we won last week with the game Big Ben had.
    _______________________________________________________

Turnovers are always the great Equalizer…We won the turnover battle, that’s the single most important reason we won last week. If Wheeler and Co. can do similarly against Manning, we have a real shot to win…

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

raiderinparadise Says:
    September 27th, 2012 at 3:33 pm

@seymourbush

I agree the defense will improve.

The new personnel moving around will help too.

=======================================

Exactly. Pat Lee played very well in the Super Bowl so given a chance to play, I think he can come thru. He had no starts and playing behind Woodson and Williams is not going to give you a ton of reps out there. Hanson definitely can play. Huff will improve on the island. No doubt.

• raiderinparadise

1m Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur
    #Raiders have won last four meetings in Denver, outscoring Broncos 133-63.

• RaiderDanny

I think DA knows where the weeknesses are on their Defense! What the players can and cant do!

• MiamiRaider78

Steelers pass defense is ranked 5th after our game against them-

Broncos currently 15th in pass defense-

Hopefully we can take advantage of their secondary even though the rush defense (13th) is pretty good, ranked a few notches ahead of the Steelers (15th).

• Raider Riff

I expect a similar game to the one vs Pitt.

Manning will have a good day. But our CB’s should be a little more experienced and they SHOULD play a little better.

Like Realtrueraider says, we need our offense to once again be spot on. Which shouldnt be news to any of us or our team. That is their job. CP# and Palmer are paid like ELITE guys, they need to continue to play like them.

The biggest improvement though, if we are to win this game, must come from our DE unit. We’ve seen improvement from every other unit of this team so far (OL, LBs, CBs, WRs, TEs) except for the DE’s.

They must have a big game and get too Manning while also containing the edges in the running game so that our LB’s can help out in coverage.

If they do, we win easy. If they dont (like against Pitt) it will be a dogfight.

• Maxzombie

So wait…. We now have Omoran copycats on this blog. WTF is wrong with this world……

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Peyton Manning matching wits with Rolondo McClain at the LOS?

• omoran

We better hold the ball tight, the DONKEES are instruted to kick it away from us.We should put it inside our pants and see who wants first!

• raiderinparadise

Just have to tackle well, the broncos WR are big physical guys, the steelers were all bruners and shifty guys.

• alex7

Week 1 – Rivers, with zero running game, still has big day passing.

Week 2 – Dolphins rookie QB has best day as a pro vs us.

Week 3 – Ben has 350+ yards and 4 TDs, again with no running game.

Week 4 – Defense carries the day??? not sure about that one.

• Al_is_theraiders

improvement from cbs? when?

• MiamiRaider78

Raiderparadise,

I’m on board with your thinking here. Good stuff!

• dr_robert

The Beeech Dawg Says:
    September 27th, 2012 at 3:20 pm
    MiamiRaider78 Says:
    September 27th, 2012 at 2:55 pm

————

Yo Miami Homie

That fresh rap was mo FRESH SWIZZLE

*********************

none of which would ever happen in any lifetime. boring. waste of time. nobody cares.