Heyward-Bey eager to return to action; Streater hurt

Wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey on Friday spoke for the first time since he suffered a concussion and strained neck against the Pittsburgh Steelers. He said he is champing at the bit to get back on the field.
For now, Heyward-Bey is going through the league-mandated protocol for players that suffer a concussion. That means he isn’t permitted to participate in contact drills or to play in a game until he passes all the tests.
Raiders coach Dennis Allen said Heyward-Bey hasn’t passed the tests yet.
“Always; I want to play football,” Heyward-Bey said, when asked if he is itching to play again. “This is what I do for a living. So, definitely, I’m very eager to get back.”
That likely won’t be until after the Raiders bye week, at the earliest. He is listed as doubtful for Sunday’s game against the Denver Broncos after missing all three practices this week.
Heyward-Bey suffered his injury as a result of a helmet-to-helmet hit from Steelers safety Ryan Mundy early in the fourth quarter of the teams’ game last Sunday.
The hit knocked Heyward-Bey unconscious and caused him to hit the turf face-first, which jarred his neck in a violent manner.
Heyward-Bey said he has no recollection of what happened from the time he got hit by Mundy. His first memory is of being carted off the field, at which time he raised his right arm and delivered a thumbs up to the crowd.
“That’s just football,” Heyward-Bey said. “I signed up to put on pads and go out there. That’s what happens out there. People get hit, people get hurt. It happens.”
Heyward-Bey said Mundy texted him soon after the incident. He holds no grudge toward Mundy, who wasn’t penalized for the hit. Mundy was fined $21,000 by the league.
“I told him, ‘Hey, it’s football,’ ” Heyward-Bey said.

– The Raiders already are without wide receiver Jacoby Ford for the season. Heyward-Bey almost certainly won’t play Sunday, either.
Now comes word that rookie wide receiver Rod Streater “tweaked” his neck during practice today, and he is questionable for the Broncos game.
That leaves the Raiders with only two healthy wide receivers right now — Denarius Moore and Derek Hagan, the likely starters.
Rookie Juron Criner still is recovering from an ankle injury. One possible solution is signing either Travionte Session or Tori Gurley from the practice squad.
Of course, as Allen said, there’s always the prospect of just using players such as running back Darren McFadden, fullback Marcel Reece and tight end David Ausberry more in the passing game.
“Having versatile players that give you the ability to do different things is, obviously, always a good luxury to have,” Allen said. “We feel confident in the players we have here and we feel like when we do sustain injuries that we have enough talent here that we can move people around to give ourselves a chance.”
Offensive coordinator Greg Knapp said Criner is making progress toward getting a better grasp of the offense, now that he is able to get more reps in practice than the previous three weeks.
“Like Rod has been, there’s some good weeks and some learning weeks,” Knapp said of Criner. “But they both have made progress and that’s what I’m pleased to see. With Juron, it kind of set him back that injury. A young guy can’t afford to miss reps. With the injury that he had he’s fully recovered now from, the hamstring, so he’s made progress this week.”

– Tight end Brandon Myers passed the concussion tests, and he is cleared to play Sunday, Allen said.
Myers participated in practice for the third straight day without any apparent setbacks from the concussion he received against the Steelers.
Myers still is listed as questionable. Just a matter of protocol there. Myers will start Sunday.
Backup tight end Richard Gordon suffered a hamstring injury during practice today, and he was added to the injury list. He, too, is questionable.

– Right offensive tackle Khalif Barnes (groin) and cornerback Shawntae Spencer (foot) are out of Sunday’s game, Allen said.
That means Willie Smith will make his second straight start in place of Barnes, with Huff starting at cornerback opposite Pat Lee for the second straight game.
Smith said he is excited about the prospect of facing Broncos pass-rushing linebackers Von Miller and Elvis Dumervil.
“It’s definitely a good test,” Smith said, “but as a player you want to go against these kind of guys because it allows you to kind of gauge where you’re at and how much more work you’ve got to do to get to where you want to be.”

– Defensive end Andre Carter received more reps in practice today than he did Thursday, Allen said. He is getting closer to making his Raiders debut.
“Every day that he practices, every day he’s out here with us, he’s one step closer to being on the field,” Allen said.

– Former New York Giants quarterback Phil Simms and Jim Nantz are broadcasting the Raiders-Broncos for CBS. Here’s what Simms had to say about the game.

“Even though there are basically two new coaches involved, no doubt it’s a heated rivalry that will never die. Although Denver lost to maybe the two best teams in football, they are still losses. What is the Bronco’s state of mind? Now, the Raiders have to be feeling good like they’re turning the corner after coming through at the end of the game on both sides of the ball against the Steelers? It makes me think it’s going to be a good game.”
As for what Simms thinks about quarterbacks Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning:
“The big thing with the Raiders was Carson Palmer. He was very good on basically every clutch throw in the game last week. And the other side is Peyton Manning. I’ve been beat up all week with questions about him. If you’re following it and a fan of Denver and of Peyton Manning, or if you’re just a football guy, you have to see what he did against Houston. You have to say there is no doubt it’s going forward. Now he’s got enough games, repetitions, getting hit and feeling the competition of the action. He is going to be able to make adjustments. He is actually getting better each week, even though he threw three interceptions. I don’t judge every game on whether you throw an interception or not. He was tested more in the Atlanta game than he was in the first game against the Steelers. He was tested a lot more against the Houston Texans. And I thought he had some long stretches of really good moments. My biggest question about the game is watching the Broncos offense and how they run it through Peyton Manning.”

– The Raiders depart for Denver on Saturday.

Steve Corkran

• Maxzombie

That’s not what socialism means.

• Twocents

KoolKell, not yet.
    By the way , were you accosted by redneck racists on your journey to gold country?

• Dakota

New owner, new city, new stadium….moving forward!

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Nope, had a great time.

• nyraider

if something happens to dmoore this week, our WR situation may make everyone forget when condo went down.

• Plunketthead

248.qodrn1 Says:
    Week 3: Klas Tjorborn Raiders 35 Steelers 24 (34/31)
    ******************************************

You better double check that.
    klas the jailbird never picked a winner in his life.

He picked the steelers to win that game

• Twocents

Nyraider, I’m a pessimist but you are the king of negativity.

• Maxzombie

Haha, broncos coaches crying about their fines.

Afternoon Fellas,

Anyone have a good feeling about Sunday’s outcome.

I Do.

Have no explanation as to the nuts and bolts of it.

I feeling a Raider win by 10 or more.

Dakota Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 6:00 pm
    New owner, new city, new stadium….moving forward!
    ——————————-
    I can understand why you might feel that way, being from the Dakota’s, but as for myself, having be born and raised in the Bay Area, (just 20 minutes south of Oakland), I hate the idea of the Raiders being anywhere else.

This Franchise made the bones in Oakland.

Oakland IS a part of the appeal.

• RaidO

WR injuries?

A smart GM would bring a vet WR to fill in. A player like Plaxico could play on Sunday. He put up good numbers in 2011 with Sanchez as QB. Plaxico does not need to know the playbook for a redzone fade route.
    Reggie is not smart and most of hie roster moves suck.

Plaxico Burress
    2011 Season
    REC 45, YDS 612, TD 8

Christ, I’m typing like Omaran speaks…lol

• RaidO

*his

• nyraider

two cents ur crazy , its all about being real. dont understand how a team as far under the cap with decent free agent wrs out there goes into a game with 2 healthy wr.thats all. this isnt the first time youve come at me. its cool..i dont need your love but prefer a raider win. actually my first comment was a positive comment about marcel who is a real talent..

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

RaiderLen Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 6:18 pm

This Franchise made the bones in Oakland.

Oakland IS a part of the appeal.

============================================

I agree and I sympathize, but something HAS to be done. Our stadium is arguably the worst in North American major sports.

A new complex in Oakland would be ideal, but if that ain’t happening, LA would be the next logical alternative.

• Twocents

• RaiderLen

No to the crooked shooting wanna be thug.

Poetic justice would have been Him shooting Himself and His career in the Foot.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

Christ, I’m typing like Omaran speaks…lol>>>>>>MY PANTS HURT WHEN THAT HAPPENS.

• nyraider

RaidO Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 6:19 pm
    WR injuries?

Reggie is not smart and most of hie roster moves suck.

Plaxico Burress
    2011 Season
    REC 45, YDS 612, TD 8
    ————————————-
    last time a raider wr had 8 tds was 2005. plax should at least be brought in for a workout

RaiderDuck Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 6:21 pm
    RaiderLen Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 6:18 pm

This Franchise made the bones in Oakland.

Oakland IS a part of the appeal.

============================================

——————————————
    I agree, I just hope it doesn’t come to that.

C’mon Mark and Amy!

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

RaiderLen, I feel like Morgan Freeman in Shawshank Redemption. I have been institutionalized by years of losing./////////////ACCEPTING THAT IS WHAT FINALLY SET HIM FREE. Sorry ’bout the caps lock.

• raiderkoolaid

I am sure that if The Raiders had wanted to be part of the Santa Clara stadium, they would have pushed for and gotten the seats being a neutral color and not red and gold. The rest of the stadium could have been changed for game day. The Raiders just didn’t want to be a part of it, I think because they have their eye on LA. As for The Raiders going to SD after a charger move to LA, if SD won’t build a stadium for the chargers, they won’t build one for The Raiders either.

• RaidO

Nyraider Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 6:23 pm
    RaidO Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 6:19 pm
    WR injuries?

Reggie is not smart and most of hie roster moves suck.

Plaxico Burress
    2011 Season
    REC 45, YDS 612, TD 8
    ————————————-
    ————————-

LOL. Yeah 2005 that’s pretty bad. They should of had Plaxico at the Raiders facility on Monday.

• Twocents

I like our recievers. I think that Carter will be money well spent.

• raiderkoolaid

Most major college teams have a better stadium than the Oakland Coliseum.

• morilla

Why would Mark have his eyes on LA? The only reason is $. Not going to happen. The Raiders belong in Oakland. And they will stay there.

• RaidO

If Palmer struggles on Sunday win or lose it will be blamed on the WR injuries. Reggie could have made some moves to prevent this but he did not.

• raiderkoolaid

Money and the competitive advantage it brings.

Twocents Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 6:29 pm
    I like our recievers. I think that Carter will be money well spent.
    ——————————
    Me too.

Raiderkoolaid Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 6:29 pm
    Most major college teams have a better stadium than the Oakland Coliseum.
    —————————-
    absolutely.

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

Morilla Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 6:30 pm

==============================================

You are correct that the only reason is $$$, but that’s a big reason. He mentioned in his intro presser last January that he needed a new stadium and he’d looked at offers from other communities but hadn’t found one he liked. That was a HUGE shot across Oakland’s bow. If they don’t take him seriously, he will take the team and leave. Ed Roski would LOVE to have us, and so might the new AEG ownership.

• Twocents

I don’t see our passing game as the problem. The running game, yes. Our defense, most definitely.

RaidO Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 6:31 pm
    ————————–
    How would you have staffed the practice squad and 53 man roster to account for pulled hamstrings, concussions, and turned ankles.

Lay it out for me.

Reggie might be listening.

• morilla

Raiderkoolaid Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 6:29 pm
    Most major college teams have a better stadium than the Oakland Coliseum.
    ——–

I like Oco. I don’t need 5 Star restaurants. I don’t need Wifi or Starbucks. It’s a football stadium.

Only gripe I have about it us the “jumbo” tron. And I use the term “jumbo” loosely.

Twocents Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 6:34 pm
    —————————————–
    I think running game will trend upward as long as the O line remains in tact.

D is cursed with DB injuries, and lack of a pass rush.

Reggie has made moves to try and spice up the rush, the DB’s hopefully can step up with increased reps.

• RaidO

RaiderLen Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 6:34 pm
    RaidO Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 6:31 pm
    ————————–

Lay it out for me.

Reggie might be listening.
    ———————————-

Bringing in 2 injury prone CB’s as your starting CB’s.
    Not bringing a decent vet WR to fill in for all the WR injuries. etc etc

• DJ Johnny

Sterling Sharpe picks Raiders…McNabb? Broncos.

Baldinger? Denver…due to our depleted secondary.

• downsouthraider

Raiders 24
    Mules 14

• DJ Johnny

…Baldinger wears eye liner by the way.

• Twocents

There is no doubt that this game in Denver is a turning point. A convincing win would put me on cloud nine, a bad loss and it will be a long season.

• DJ Johnny

290, I hear you. A win would be HUUUUUGE.

Not sure how I feel about this one.

Anybody see Carter playing Sunday?

• PlunkforHOF

Good evening Raiders fans and others!

Qodrn:

My beloved Raiders: 31
    The team I hate most: 20

As I said a day or so ago: SeaBass breaks the FG record in Piled High. 74 yds.

• RaiderLen

Bringing in 2 injury prone CB’s as your starting CB’s.
    Not bringing a decent vet WR to fill in for all the WR injuries. etc etc
    ——————————————–
    Reggie brought in Hagan when Criner became hobbled and Moore was out.

There’s your Vet WR.

He couldn’t know that DHB would get knocked out, and Criner would remain hobbled and that Streater, as of today, would have an neck “issue”.

I’d say He took reasonable precaution, and has added another WR (Gurley) to the practice squad as a result of Criner’s lingering ankle, and DHB’s concussion.

Appears pretty diligent to me.

• nyraider

my biggest concern is denver’s 2 losses were to super bowl contenders. This week will tell us everything about our defense and is Palmer the qb who completed 6 out of the last 7 3rd downs against Pitt or the QB who was 1 for 12 against Miami. Dmac typically plays well against the broncos , its up to the line to hold its own.

• DJ Johnny

Best case scenario is we picked up a sackmaster probowler from last yr. in Carter.

I’d like to believe that he’s 100%.

Usually probowlers don’t have trouble hooking up with a team the next season.

• DJ Johnny

So far I think Palmer has exceeded almost everyone’s expectations…

Not mine though.

DJ Johnny Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 6:48 pm
    290, I hear you. A win would be HUUUUUGE.

Not sure how I feel about this one.

Anybody see Carter playing Sunday?
    ——————————
    For sure.

Allen won’t give it up.

He’ll play.

• RaidO

RaiderLen Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 6:50 pm
    Bringing in 2 injury prone CB’s as your starting CB’s.
    Not bringing a decent vet WR to fill in for all the WR injuries. etc etc
    ——————————————–
    Reggie brought in Hagan when Criner became hobbled and Moore was out.

There’s your Vet WR.

Appears pretty diligent to me.
    __________________________________

Hagan sucks.

Derek Hagan
    2011 Season
    Rec 24, YDS 252, TD 1

Plaxico Burress
    2011 Season
    REC 45, YDS 612, TD 8

Who would you rather have on the team for a “Vet WR”?
    Is Reggie trying to win this year?

DJ Johnny Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 6:55 pm
    So far I think Palmer has exceeded almost everyone’s expectations…

Not mine though.
    ———————————
    When you take all things Raider into account, Palmer and a few others, were the least of my worries.

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

RaidO Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Bringing in 2 injury prone CB’s as your starting CB’s.

===========================================

Neither Spencer nor Bartell’s injuries are ones they’ve had before. Reggie is not a psychic.