Heyward-Bey eager to return to action; Streater hurt

By Steve Corkran
Friday, September 28th, 2012 at 2:03 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey on Friday spoke for the first time since he suffered a concussion and strained neck against the Pittsburgh Steelers. He said he is champing at the bit to get back on the field.
For now, Heyward-Bey is going through the league-mandated protocol for players that suffer a concussion. That means he isn’t permitted to participate in contact drills or to play in a game until he passes all the tests.
Raiders coach Dennis Allen said Heyward-Bey hasn’t passed the tests yet.
“Always; I want to play football,” Heyward-Bey said, when asked if he is itching to play again. “This is what I do for a living. So, definitely, I’m very eager to get back.”
That likely won’t be until after the Raiders bye week, at the earliest. He is listed as doubtful for Sunday’s game against the Denver Broncos after missing all three practices this week.
Heyward-Bey suffered his injury as a result of a helmet-to-helmet hit from Steelers safety Ryan Mundy early in the fourth quarter of the teams’ game last Sunday.
The hit knocked Heyward-Bey unconscious and caused him to hit the turf face-first, which jarred his neck in a violent manner.
Heyward-Bey said he has no recollection of what happened from the time he got hit by Mundy. His first memory is of being carted off the field, at which time he raised his right arm and delivered a thumbs up to the crowd.
“That’s just football,” Heyward-Bey said. “I signed up to put on pads and go out there. That’s what happens out there. People get hit, people get hurt. It happens.”
Heyward-Bey said Mundy texted him soon after the incident. He holds no grudge toward Mundy, who wasn’t penalized for the hit. Mundy was fined $21,000 by the league.
“I told him, ‘Hey, it’s football,’ ” Heyward-Bey said.

– The Raiders already are without wide receiver Jacoby Ford for the season. Heyward-Bey almost certainly won’t play Sunday, either.
Now comes word that rookie wide receiver Rod Streater “tweaked” his neck during practice today, and he is questionable for the Broncos game.
That leaves the Raiders with only two healthy wide receivers right now — Denarius Moore and Derek Hagan, the likely starters.
Rookie Juron Criner still is recovering from an ankle injury. One possible solution is signing either Travionte Session or Tori Gurley from the practice squad.
Of course, as Allen said, there’s always the prospect of just using players such as running back Darren McFadden, fullback Marcel Reece and tight end David Ausberry more in the passing game.
“Having versatile players that give you the ability to do different things is, obviously, always a good luxury to have,” Allen said. “We feel confident in the players we have here and we feel like when we do sustain injuries that we have enough talent here that we can move people around to give ourselves a chance.”
Offensive coordinator Greg Knapp said Criner is making progress toward getting a better grasp of the offense, now that he is able to get more reps in practice than the previous three weeks.
“Like Rod has been, there’s some good weeks and some learning weeks,” Knapp said of Criner. “But they both have made progress and that’s what I’m pleased to see. With Juron, it kind of set him back that injury. A young guy can’t afford to miss reps. With the injury that he had he’s fully recovered now from, the hamstring, so he’s made progress this week.”

– Tight end Brandon Myers passed the concussion tests, and he is cleared to play Sunday, Allen said.
Myers participated in practice for the third straight day without any apparent setbacks from the concussion he received against the Steelers.
Myers still is listed as questionable. Just a matter of protocol there. Myers will start Sunday.
Backup tight end Richard Gordon suffered a hamstring injury during practice today, and he was added to the injury list. He, too, is questionable.

– Right offensive tackle Khalif Barnes (groin) and cornerback Shawntae Spencer (foot) are out of Sunday’s game, Allen said.
That means Willie Smith will make his second straight start in place of Barnes, with Huff starting at cornerback opposite Pat Lee for the second straight game.
Smith said he is excited about the prospect of facing Broncos pass-rushing linebackers Von Miller and Elvis Dumervil.
“It’s definitely a good test,” Smith said, “but as a player you want to go against these kind of guys because it allows you to kind of gauge where you’re at and how much more work you’ve got to do to get to where you want to be.”

– Defensive end Andre Carter received more reps in practice today than he did Thursday, Allen said. He is getting closer to making his Raiders debut.
“Every day that he practices, every day he’s out here with us, he’s one step closer to being on the field,” Allen said.

– Former New York Giants quarterback Phil Simms and Jim Nantz are broadcasting the Raiders-Broncos for CBS. Here’s what Simms had to say about the game.

“Even though there are basically two new coaches involved, no doubt it’s a heated rivalry that will never die. Although Denver lost to maybe the two best teams in football, they are still losses. What is the Bronco’s state of mind? Now, the Raiders have to be feeling good like they’re turning the corner after coming through at the end of the game on both sides of the ball against the Steelers? It makes me think it’s going to be a good game.”
As for what Simms thinks about quarterbacks Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning:
“The big thing with the Raiders was Carson Palmer. He was very good on basically every clutch throw in the game last week. And the other side is Peyton Manning. I’ve been beat up all week with questions about him. If you’re following it and a fan of Denver and of Peyton Manning, or if you’re just a football guy, you have to see what he did against Houston. You have to say there is no doubt it’s going forward. Now he’s got enough games, repetitions, getting hit and feeling the competition of the action. He is going to be able to make adjustments. He is actually getting better each week, even though he threw three interceptions. I don’t judge every game on whether you throw an interception or not. He was tested more in the Atlanta game than he was in the first game against the Steelers. He was tested a lot more against the Houston Texans. And I thought he had some long stretches of really good moments. My biggest question about the game is watching the Broncos offense and how they run it through Peyton Manning.”

– The Raiders depart for Denver on Saturday.

• nyraider

RaiderLen Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 7:53 pm
    NyRaider

I don’t feel like dissecting coulda woulda shoulda.

I’d just say that if the Raiders continue to throw the ball, stats will be amassed by those that catch the ball.

I don’t care who it is, so long as the passes result in 1st downs, and touchdowns.

Individuals can have all the yards they want and go to the Pro Bowl.

I don’t need a Pro Bowl receiver if collectively my guys are getting the job done.

——————————-
    no coulda woulda shoulda..we agree that its all about Tds and getting the job done. Not overglorifying a Wr bc he has a few nice catches.

• Priesttj12

MAN U GUYS R REAL SUCKERS 4 THIS GUY!

I’LL SAY GOODBEYE

• RaiderLen

RaiderDuck Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 7:57 pm
    Morilla Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 7:55 pm
    Was there any truth to the report that said the Raiders had a injury clause put in Carter’s contract?

=============================================

Yup. If he gets hurt in either his (IIRC) knee or back, it’s Instant Sayonara.
    ———————————————–
    I’ll take Raider Duck knowledge of contracts for 40 Alex.

Nice.

• redshirt

Wow, can’t believe DHB might play Sunday… w2g son!

• nyraider

Redshirt Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 8:02 pm
    Wow, can’t believe DHB might play Sunday… w2g son!
    ———————–
    Dhb has some issues but he has heart

• morilla

Nyraider Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 7:49 pm
    Morilla Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 7:47 pm
    I think signing Carter was an Al like move.
    ————————-
    How many years is carter signed for?
    —————

I don’t know the details, $/years.

RaiderDuck? Thanks for the confirmation too.

• RaiderLen

————————————-
    Cool.

It’s all about production.

We can both see that clearly.

The rest is opinion, and I respect yours.

Peace!

• DJ Johnny

My jury is still out on Reggie.

I HOPE he turns out to be a GREAT gm.

He has confidence in himself…you have to in his position.

It makes sense he would want HIS GUYS, but he has to be smart enuff not to get rid of guys just cuz they are ‘Al’s guys’.

His focus should be WINNING…nothing else.

• MiamiRaider78

I myself really like Reggie’s background but until there is a sufficient amount of cap to work with and draft selections to use, my judgement will be reserved.

• redshirt

DJ Johnny Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 8:07 pm
    My jury is still out on Reggie.
    *****

Yeahhhh… I’d hope people aren’t finalizing his epitaph after just 3 games.* SMH

*sarcasm

• redshirt

err, that doesn’t read right. point is, we can’t even start talking about RMcK’s legacy for another couple of years…

• Raidernationdave

Whut up beyotches!!!

• tonedeezy

The guys who really won that game for us were Wheeler, Pat Lee, and Joselio Hanson.
    I can’t remember Wimbley, Routt, DVD or Chekwa ever causing or recovering a turnover.
    I don’t doubt ReggieMac at all so far.

• tonedeezy

None of those guys could make an open-field tackle either.

• Scratch Johnson

Reggie wants to GM green bay style. I was hopin the man would take the Al Davis Raiders Football to the next level. Told ya’ll my biggest fear is we become just another vanilla team that wants to play by the rules and get along like all the other teams. We the Raiders man! Play like it now, Com’on Reggie.

• Scratch Johnson

I betcha every damned team is glad the so called ‘refs’ are back cept Oakland. The leagues first memo was prolly to protect PM and watch out for those Raiders. They dirty. What a joke.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

” Told ya’ll”? really? Can you prove it?

• Scratch Johnson

We takin a back seat right now, so winning in that shіt heap in denver is a must.

• RaiderLen

Instant gratification is welcome, but not realistic.

Reggie is doing the hard work of putting the financial house in order, garnering draft picks, and working the scrub wire for incremental improvement.

He is not, and will not be perfect.

The moves he’s made to date, are small time (lower level roster type) moves.

He’ll soon be able to flex some financial and draft muscle.

AFTER that has occurred, I’ll Praise or Rip.

• Scratch Johnson

KoolKell Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 8:31 pm
    ” Told ya’ll”? really? Can you prove it?
    ****************************************
    Hey KK, how ya doin? If we can get to the bye week at 2-2, I think we may roll thru the season pretty darn nice. This game is a must win cuz we need it for the standings, team morale and to validate what big Reg is tryin to do, even tho knapp is making that a bit difficult.

• da trinity

I’m in San Diego wearing my raider hat with my raider shirt that says official charger hater on the front and has a cartoon with a raider hat pissing on charger helmet on back of shirt. I’m getting hella stares by charger fans but they aient saying a dam thing. LOL

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Oh, a win would be huge.

• RaiderLen

Da Trinity Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 8:35 pm
    ——————————
    A Provocateur? LOL!

Bring your A game to the idiots that will fall upon the magnet.

• Raidernationdave

Everyone there knows that since you are a Raider fan you, 1) Have a criminal record, 2) Most likely you’ve either killed or severely injured people, 3) You’d pop your mom in the chops if she ever said anything negative, and 40 You are most likely armed & dangerous!!!!

That about sums it up!

Go Nation!

+++++++++++

da trinity Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 8:35 pm

• redshirt

so… who saw the carjacker off himself on fox news?

why’d he have to be rocking the silver and black… fug

• RaiderSam

on the NFL Network playbook Sterling Sharpe picked the Raiders, and B.Baldinger and Donavan Mcnabb picked the Broncos.

Sterling thinks McFadden has a big day and interior Seymour and Kelly could get to Manning. McNabb felt Manning would get flat routes to the FB Gronkowski and in routes to Decker against Huff and a depleted secondary.

I agree. How Raiders stop Manning on First down will be key. McFadden will need huge game, and odds dont favor a career 7.3 per carry average in THIS Knapp led offense.

• da trinity

Lol @374
    Well, I am a mix martial artist.

• RaiderLen

I’ll take a 7.3 yds per carry average.

Must have been a typo.

• RaiderLen

Da Trinity Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 9:02 pm
    Lol @374
    Well, I am a mix martial artist.
    ————————–
    Waaaa Haaaaaa!

Smack, Smack, Smack!!!

lol

• RaiderLen

I see McFadden gettin loose.

Over 100 yds Rushing.

50 yards receiving.

• da trinity

@379
    Lol, just give me a reason.

• Scratch Johnson

Raiders need to mix up their D on manning and stack 6-8 in the box and pressure him. If manning cantrol his offense, he will control our D. Its that simple.

• redshirt

7.3????????????????????????????????? WUTTT

• redshirt

383.

Didn’t stack that box last week against Rapistberger… what makes you think Tarver will be any different this week?

• chuck

What is knapp talking about criner having a hard time grasping the offense all you do is run 5 yards and out or five yards and in.

• redshirt

At least it’s no longer Krapp’s offense… since midway through Qtr 3 of Week 3′s game it’s been CP3′s offense. OH YEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

• Soggy

redshirt Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 9:10 pm
    383.

———————
    Pressure a quicker to release QB. Two differents types of QB’s. Rothlessburger is not as smart. Manning is smart.

• RaiderLen

Da Trinity Says:
    September 28th, 2012 at 9:07 pm
    @379
    Lol, just give me a reason.
    ——————————
    Danielson….

Find the inner peace.

RaiderLen Say… “A broken hand on idiot Charger fan Face, is a “glorified” broken hand…but it hurts like hell.”

RaiderLen Say…”Save the face, to let the hand live.”

lol

• redshirt

388.

So, we let a not-as-smart-as-Payton-Manning-QB gash us for 384 yards and 4 TDs and… and, wait- what is your point?

• DJ Johnny

I don’t who it was that was calling Berman a “hater” but he just picked us to beat Denver 24-21 and added his famous “the Raaaaaaaiderrrrs”.

After listening to his MNF broadcast and picking us two weeks in a row against supposedly “better” teams I would say he’s no “hater”.

In fact, I always thought he was a fan…He loooooves givin’ it to Tom Jackson whenever we beat the Donks.

• da trinity

@388
    Lol

• raider till i die

Damn i posted a long post that’s didn’t cum out long story short I’m late but a while back u will defitnatly see gangsters and the middle class at raiders games that stadium would sell out everygame it’s like a dodger game I’m from so cal trust me thers more fans than u guys think out here

• Groove Maker

Bring back Cable. Look what he done for seattle. We need the pimp hand back. ZBS needs some pimp hand.

• redshirt

I’ve never heard that Boomer is a hater, only that he can’t call games (NFL – no; MLB – no; HR Derby – aw hell naw) and that he’s best suited for SC, Post- and Pregame shows and replays (which I think is true… I love the “WOOOP” anytime someone fumbles or bust out for a long gain).

• Groove Maker

Bring back HueJax. Dude was a play makin artist. If we cant beat denver it’ll be because HueJax has there number and we aint got it no more.

• Dakota

Berman picked us last week too.

• DJ Johnny

I still think one of his best nick names was for Raider WR- Alexander “if lovin’ you is wrong, I don’t wanna be” Wright.

• Groove Maker

Damn we were right where we needed to be last year and the year before. If we had Gruden, HueJax and Cable, 16-0 easily cruisin.

• redshirt

troll alert

• DJ Johnny

..or Jake ‘light come and me wanna’ Delhomme.