Palmer’s take on where Raiders stand entering bye

By Steve Corkran
Friday, October 5th, 2012 at 1:10 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Here’s what quarterback Carson Palmer had to say about where the Raiders stand through four games, what they got accomplished in practice this week, what lies ahead during the bye and the other issues surrounding the team:

Q: Bye week, what accomplished and how get back on track?
Palmer: A lot. Obviously, with the issues we’ve had on third down, we went back through ‘em, watched ‘em all multiple times. Repped ‘em in walkthroughs, repped ‘em in practice, against our defense, against the looks we saw in games. Now that I think about it, these last two days was a ton of red zone, a ton of third down, so it’s been good. It’s good to have this chance, this early to kind of do a self-scout, self-evaluation to look at why, and it’s really frustrating to watch on film because we’re just an inch off here and an inch off there and we had three third downs where we were a half-yard short. And it’s just execution, knowing the play so well that you just react.

Q: Execution in the games, one thing to watch it and rep it, another thing to do it in games. .
Palmer: Rep it and rep it and rep it. There’s a couple of times where we’re not thinking too much and not reacting on what we’re coached to do in that situation. When you’re in a new offense and it’s new guys and a couple of rookies in some spots, it’s really good to have this opportunity this early as opposed to having a bye week in Week 8 or 9 where most of the season has kind of passed you up. It’s so early we had a chance to really look at it and understand why we didn’t stay on the field. We put our defense in a tough position, why we went three-and-out and why we lost the time of possession in games and the coach did a really good job of illustrating the statistics of it. This is what happens when you go three-and-out and you don’t get a first down, you put the opposing offense in a better field position situation, just kind of going over all those little situations, so it’s been really good to get everybody on the same page and see why certain things we do well work and why certain things that we didn’t do well didn’t work and how we can make adjustments. It’s been a good week.

Q: What’s the morale like in the locker room?
Palmer: It was a good bye week. A lot of times bye week can come. It’s so far into the season that you just need a break. I don’t feel like guys think we need a break. We’re frustrated that we are where we are because of the way we’ve executed and we were all talking and we were in the team meeting, this is a week to get better, there are meetings to get better, workouts, these practices are a chance to get better. I really feel like we got a lot of accomplished this week. We focused so much on third down, we will be better, and offensively, we’re going to keep our defense fresher and keep them off the field. I think we’ve ironed on some things we’ve don’t do well and some things we do well and we’ll do those more often.

Q: Depart four days, what is the message imparted by coaches . . .
Palmer: It’s not four off days. That’s something you’ve really got to relay to young guys. You’re don’t just sit on the couch and watch TV. Everybody’s taking home film, I know I’ve got a bunch of stuff stuff on my computer I need to watch and even young guys are taking home film of not just (inaudubile) but their own plays, balls thrown, runs run their way. It’s a chance to get some rest physically, but not mentally. That’s something coach really emphasized. You can go one of two ways, you can say, screw it I’m going to Vegas and party for four days, and that’s not what this team is about. Most of these guys are sticking around, are going to come in and work out. A couple of guys are going to see family, but guys are taking stuff home, guys are taking playbooks home. It’s not like, we’re not in a situation where guys are flying to the airport to leave in 10 minutes. Guys understand we’ve got a lot of football left and it’s not time just to relax, it’s time to get healthy but continue to work, to work out and stay in shape and be ready to go on Monday.

Q: Coaches can’t coach you during the break, but can you reach out to players, will you be in contact with them . .
Palmer: Yeah, for the most part in this locker room, guys, we’re co workers, but guys are friends. Guys will be in here working out. A couple of guys are going to an obligation they have in L.A., but there’s a place to work out, they’re working out in L.A., but yeah, we’ll all be in communication.

Q: Lack of deep pass plays . . .
Palmer: there’s not a cause for it. There’s reasons to be more attacking in that in that sense and we’ve talked about that. We’ve played two division games, two opportunities to look at those films and see, maybe we’ll do a little but more of this, the next time we play the Chargers or this next time we play Denver, but we are going to be more aggressive. It’s something that we definitely addressed, taking more shots downfield.”

• Raider E

Sniff,

Why would I want to be down with a realtor and a rat?

Left myself open. Now lets see what you got?

• Raider E

I know you didn’t use the term “swimmingly” seriously.

• The Beeech Dawg

Oh man my minions just make it too easy to be the Beeeech Diggity Dawg

Shout out and mad respect to Kool Moe Dee

Brahs, two fine hizzies from Spearmint Rhino just showed up at my front door with a 6-pack of Dorito Loco tacos from T-Bell

Can’t decide what I should chow first (meaning, their va-jay-jays or the delicious tacos)

Probably take a hit off the hookah before I decide, like Young MC used to do

HIP HOP HOLLA BACK

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

Anybody need a job I’m sure they’ll be hiring people to clean the blood off the field after the KSU/KU game.

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

RaiderDanny Says:
    October 6th, 2012 at 12:15 pm
    You in favor of that Duck??

============================================

Maybe for that slug Kelly…

• Raider E

So Sniff,

Be careful those two drunk-ass chickenheads from the Doublemint Whino don’t start beer-schittin in the hot tub.

• The Beeech Dawg

I don’t care what anyone says, I’d allow Christina Hendricks to ride the Beeeech Lawg

So what if she could drop a few lbs, I’ll just focus my attention on the massive mams (aka booblies)

And I’m guessing she give a better back rub than most strippers, who always pass out in the middle because they’re so wasted

If you agree, give me a Hells Yeah Beeech Diggity Dawg

• Raiders for life

Reg needs to figure out a way to get Chris Peterson on the staff, OC or HC it wouldn’t matter to me.

• RaiderDanny

Reggie may blow it up for picks to get his guys?12 15 draft picks? What happened to Crawford, Criner, and Bilukidi??

• The Beeech Dawg

peE, what’s your secret for getting sloppy joe stains out of your personalized Raider jersey?

Guessing you face that problem 6 or 7 dinners a week, holla

You know a sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a MEAL

• Raider E

Hey Sniff,

To bad you tucked tail and waved your white flag so soon.

Just try not to meltdown in the next 60 mins.

To much excitement might make those taco locos spray all over your bear skin rug, Playboy.

Raider E – 1 Beeech Pickle-Sniffer – 0

• RaiderDanny

Whos Chris Peterson?

• DJ Johnny

Coach at Boise St.

• The Beeech Dawg

Brahs, you gotta admit, isn’t my minion peE just adorable?

He throws out some classic lines I taught him, declares himself a winner and even puts up his own little scoreboard

Totally precious

I wish all my minions were this well behaved. Most want a few Beech-Style backhands before their inevitable flame out

BEEECH DIGGITY WRECKS N FULL EFFECT

• Raider E

Sniff got himself handed an “Airplane” style smackdown line this a.m.

Watch him melt….

• DJ Johnny

The ugly, freakish, red-haired, pock marked spawn,

LMAO.

I still say that would be a great sci fi movie title.

• The Beeech Dawg

Yo Blog Brahs

I’ve been working on a playlist for my DJ gig today at the Ritz pool

After I busted 700 sit ups, natch

This set is going to be HELLA TIGHT, be mixing some Bryan Adams into cuts from the Joe vs The Volcano soundtrack, then taking it to the next level with Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians

The Certified Platinum Party is splicing dope scenes from Party of 5 with season II BH90210 for some tripped out visuals, whut whut

DAVID SILVER IN THE HOUSE

• DJ Johnny

Beeech have you tried that new pube stylist Nagasakikasimotohronoshoodoodoinaki yet?

• papertiger418

When is DMAC’s contract up?

• The Beeech Dawg

DJ Johnny Says:
    October 6th, 2012 at 12:52 pm

———-

I haven’t, and honestly, I don’t know much about him
    But I’ll get Silverandblackmoron to google him!

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

“When is DMAC’s contract up?”

He is signed through next year.

• oakfoshow

sheeeeeeeeeet.

• Raider E

Dmac is signed through next year.

2013 – 5.8 mil salary
    2.1 mil misc bonuses
    Approx. 8 mil cap hit

His big cap hit was 2011 for approx. 15 mil.

• UCLA Raiders

I’m beginning to believe Mark Allen is gonna take Raiders to LA.
    Why do I say it?
    - he lives there himself
    - no stadium will be built in Oakland which gives him the green light
    - RM and DA will be kept for at least two years even if we have horrible records to rebuild for future years in LA
    - bad records in 2012 and 2013 will make it easier to relocate as Oaklanders will say good riddance. If 2012 was a playoff year they would give up so easy on team to relocate to LA
    - NFL will realize its more profitable for Raiders in LA and Chargers in SD and give them green light

Say hello to your LA Raiders in 2014!!!!!

• The Beeech Dawg

Whut up Brahs

Getting set up here at the Ritz pool for my off-the-chizzle DJ set

Already the deck is packed with shorties gettin’ loose and I just discreetly flashed my nads at this dope MiLF with a huge fake rack

She spit her mai tai up through her nose when she saw the Beeeech Balls, tells you hot they got her

Will be dropping sick beats soon, don’t worry the pool gets wifi so I can blog updates at my Blog Homies

Good thing I got a box of Magnums in my fanny pack, holla

SHAKA BRAHS

• beechams gay lover

there you are beechy. have you stopped by Vaughns for some ky so we can play batman and albert poo-hole this evening. it’s baseball playoffs darling!

• beechams gay lover

beechy dawg is always albert.

• realtruraider

jimmyball12 Says:
    October 6th, 2012 at 9:38 am
    Good afternoon nation from here in South Eastern PA.
    1. Can somebody tell me the post ^^above mentioning us turning down a trade (Moss for Rodgers) is false and I can put down the gun?

——————————————————-

You can put down the gun. Greenbay turned us down, thats what started the Favre drama, he was pissed that they didn’t do the trade.

Andrew Brandt wrote a story about this in the summer on ESPN, he worked for GB for years. The story was about trades and the inner workings and what not and he used this as an example about trades that never happen. The Raiders wanted to do the trade, but GB front office didn’t want to give up Rodgers.

• https://twitter.com/Albert_B_Paine Albert Bigelow Paine

——–
    Instead we got David Bowie.

• papertiger418

We’ll also be getting Phillip Merling…Packers just cut him today.

• eastoaklandraider

ATL game is already over so Jags anyone? gotta stop MJD he is their only true threat but seeing how our D has been it wont shock me if we make their wr corp look like the greatest show on turf.

• eastoaklandraider

ATL could beat us with their backup QB seriously.

• blackandsilverside

The Beeech Dawg Says:
    October 6th, 2012 at 1:49 pm
    Whut up Brahs

Getting set up here at the Ritz pool for my off-the-chizzle DJ set

Good thing I got a box of Magnums in my fanny pack, holla

SHAKA BRAHS
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Beeechy,

Go back to your gay lover. You aren’t at the Ritz in MDR, you know that. My friend who works at the desk told me there is no one by your identity there. Also the longest you can stay in one of their PH suites is 7 days.

Then ya gotta go, brah.

• realtruraider

A trade (almost)

When trades are made, there may be two negotiations: one about trade compensation, and one about financial compensation.

In 2007, the Raiders made Randy Moss available. We were interested provided we could agree on trade terms and compensation. The Patriots were interested, too.

Moss demanded a one-year deal so he could hit the market after the season and recoup some lost value, but we insisted on a two-year deal. We did not want to be a temporary stop for him before he made another big contract elsewhere. When New England relented on the one-year term, Moss was a Patriot.

Favre was livid. I spent the rest of the draft listening to Bus Cook, his agent, express Favre’s anger, along with threats to not show up. I knew Favre had long dreamed of playing with Moss, but I told him that Greg Jennings would be a star in time. Favre said he didn’t have time. I explained our method of drafting and developing players, but it only served to deepen his resentment of a general manager who did not welcome his input the way previous regimes had.

——————————————————-

Ok, they never came out and said Rodgers was part of the package, but Moss is the reason he didn’t get traded to GB, he wanted a 1 year deal and GB wouldn’t budge off there 2 year deal. I though I heard somewhere that Rodgers was going to be part of trade, but it could just be a rumor from PFT, back then thats what they were known for.

• blackandsilverside

Beechams gay lover Says:
    October 6th, 2012 at 2:10 pm
    beechy dawg is always albert.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Hey Gay,

I told Beeechy to quit fantasizing and get on home to you.

Btw, who is “Albert”?

• Barry_McKockiner

Any time now we should be getting a new feed on RoMac getting arrested!

• blackandsilverside

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

And what would we have done with Rodgers except ruin him ? Not much.

• blackandsilverside

Barry_McKockiner Says:
    October 6th, 2012 at 2:33 pm
    Any time now we should be getting a new feed on RoMac getting arrested!
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

We already know he was arrested last year. Is this a new incident? What happened: he shat and fell back into it ???

Sounds good for 6 months to me.

• blackandsilverside

The Beeech Dawg Says:
    October 6th, 2012 at 12:59 pm
    DJ Johnny Says:
    October 6th, 2012 at 12:52 pm

———-

I haven’t, and honestly, I don’t know much about him
    But I’ll get Silverandblackmoron to google him!
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Moron huh ?? Well, I am going to the Ritz around 5 pm. You better have your crew set up at poolside fun boy, or you’ll face my wrath. As glib as you are, you can’t talk your way out of it.

• https://twitter.com/Albert_B_Paine Albert Bigelow Paine

—–
    Blackandsilverside, can you get us some concrete evidence? Take some pictures and post it online and get us the link.

• backstageatapuppetshow

The LA Experiment seems to going splendidly today….

Oakland, say your goodbyes!

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

Backstageatapuppetshow Says:
    October 6th, 2012 at 4:02 pm
    The LA Experiment seems to going splendidly today….

Oakland, say your goodbyes!

==========================================

Even Cork’s now saying it’s 50-50.

So here’s the next question: Downtown LA or City of Industry?

I vote for Industry.

• raider till i die

La it would be stupendist tramendous la raiders the lakers across the street the kings just Won the stanley cup all the shops and bars it would br awsome trust me i’m from so cal

• Gdog

Anyone want to see McFadden blowing an 80 yard TD early second half? If he broke outside instead of into two defenders inside, it was to the HOUSE! Brisiel had the outside sealed off perfectly and Murphy had the CB taken out of the play perfectly. These are the plays McFadden made in his sleep last year.

We’d be leading 13-10 at that point. Instead we punted.

• Plunketthead

Lots of great games on boobtube besides the A’s
    Geno & company are faster and tougher then the bonghorns. Who thought this was gonna test him?

Amy another banner entry
    2-12=GENO

• Plunketthead

Firebaby
    I dont think your boy Murry is big enough to play pro ball

• Plunketthead

From PFT champ likes delrio over the DA.
    Did’nt the milelow mules have a fantastic D last year?
    Much improved from the year before?
    Some people are never happy

In fact, Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey says the Broncos don’t just think they can win: Bailey said the Broncos “know we can win.”

But that wasn’t always the case. According to Bailey, last year he didn’t believe all of his teammates were confident heading into their two losses against the Patriots.

“I didn’t feel like there were 53 guys that thought we could win,” Bailey said. “And it showed.”

So what’s different this time? Bailey suggested that replacing last year’s defensive coordinator, Dennis Allen, with Jack Del Rio was a step in the right direction. And although he didn’t mention them by name, he clearly believes that quarterback Peyton Manning gives the Broncos a better chance of beating the Patriots than Tim Tebow did.

• Plunketthead

Why would the golden homers trot out on the field in helmets that ugly? I would be ashamed.

The gold hologram or whatever it is is ugly enough but the blue half shell takes them to new lows in the gutter.

• Krappy-Knappy

Im taking of the gloves…next week u will see the KNAPP offense in full effect people!!

• VaRaiderNation

What’s up Nation. Still stinging from the beatdown last weekend, the good news? We have a bye this week, so I’m sure D.A. and Knapp are coming up with a brilliant gameplan to knock off the Falcons. Knapp “Let’s attack them with 1.5 yd runs and 3 yd screens, they will never see it coming” D.A. “Excellent plan, I’ve instructed Tarver to roll with the soft zone because we have such a great pass rush, we can shut down White, Jones, and Gonzales with our awesome corner play, can’t wait to yuk it up with Mike Smith after the game” Next Sunday isn’t gonna be fun Nation, hope I’m wrong. But I’m just about all out of optimism for this year’s Raiders. The season isn’t over by any means, but huge changes need to be made and I just don’t think this coach has the stones to do it. Looking foward to seeing what this staff is going to do after it’s “evaluation”.