Palmer’s take on where Raiders stand entering bye

Here’s what quarterback Carson Palmer had to say about where the Raiders stand through four games, what they got accomplished in practice this week, what lies ahead during the bye and the other issues surrounding the team:

Q: Bye week, what accomplished and how get back on track?
Palmer: A lot. Obviously, with the issues we’ve had on third down, we went back through ‘em, watched ‘em all multiple times. Repped ‘em in walkthroughs, repped ‘em in practice, against our defense, against the looks we saw in games. Now that I think about it, these last two days was a ton of red zone, a ton of third down, so it’s been good. It’s good to have this chance, this early to kind of do a self-scout, self-evaluation to look at why, and it’s really frustrating to watch on film because we’re just an inch off here and an inch off there and we had three third downs where we were a half-yard short. And it’s just execution, knowing the play so well that you just react.

Q: Execution in the games, one thing to watch it and rep it, another thing to do it in games. .
Palmer: Rep it and rep it and rep it. There’s a couple of times where we’re not thinking too much and not reacting on what we’re coached to do in that situation. When you’re in a new offense and it’s new guys and a couple of rookies in some spots, it’s really good to have this opportunity this early as opposed to having a bye week in Week 8 or 9 where most of the season has kind of passed you up. It’s so early we had a chance to really look at it and understand why we didn’t stay on the field. We put our defense in a tough position, why we went three-and-out and why we lost the time of possession in games and the coach did a really good job of illustrating the statistics of it. This is what happens when you go three-and-out and you don’t get a first down, you put the opposing offense in a better field position situation, just kind of going over all those little situations, so it’s been really good to get everybody on the same page and see why certain things we do well work and why certain things that we didn’t do well didn’t work and how we can make adjustments. It’s been a good week.

Q: What’s the morale like in the locker room?
Palmer: It was a good bye week. A lot of times bye week can come. It’s so far into the season that you just need a break. I don’t feel like guys think we need a break. We’re frustrated that we are where we are because of the way we’ve executed and we were all talking and we were in the team meeting, this is a week to get better, there are meetings to get better, workouts, these practices are a chance to get better. I really feel like we got a lot of accomplished this week. We focused so much on third down, we will be better, and offensively, we’re going to keep our defense fresher and keep them off the field. I think we’ve ironed on some things we’ve don’t do well and some things we do well and we’ll do those more often.

Q: Depart four days, what is the message imparted by coaches . . .
Palmer: It’s not four off days. That’s something you’ve really got to relay to young guys. You’re don’t just sit on the couch and watch TV. Everybody’s taking home film, I know I’ve got a bunch of stuff stuff on my computer I need to watch and even young guys are taking home film of not just (inaudubile) but their own plays, balls thrown, runs run their way. It’s a chance to get some rest physically, but not mentally. That’s something coach really emphasized. You can go one of two ways, you can say, screw it I’m going to Vegas and party for four days, and that’s not what this team is about. Most of these guys are sticking around, are going to come in and work out. A couple of guys are going to see family, but guys are taking stuff home, guys are taking playbooks home. It’s not like, we’re not in a situation where guys are flying to the airport to leave in 10 minutes. Guys understand we’ve got a lot of football left and it’s not time just to relax, it’s time to get healthy but continue to work, to work out and stay in shape and be ready to go on Monday.

Q: Coaches can’t coach you during the break, but can you reach out to players, will you be in contact with them . .
Palmer: Yeah, for the most part in this locker room, guys, we’re co workers, but guys are friends. Guys will be in here working out. A couple of guys are going to an obligation they have in L.A., but there’s a place to work out, they’re working out in L.A., but yeah, we’ll all be in communication.

Q: Lack of deep pass plays . . .
Palmer: there’s not a cause for it. There’s reasons to be more attacking in that in that sense and we’ve talked about that. We’ve played two division games, two opportunities to look at those films and see, maybe we’ll do a little but more of this, the next time we play the Chargers or this next time we play Denver, but we are going to be more aggressive. It’s something that we definitely addressed, taking more shots downfield.”

Steve Corkran

• raider till i die

Same here couple more games and the season is over we will start looking draft position I hope not but I’ll see

• DJ Johnny

backstageatapuppetshow Says:
    October 6th, 2012 at 4:02 pm
    The LA Experiment seems to going splendidly today….

Oakland, say your goodbyes!

342.RaiderDuck Says:
    October 6th, 2012 at 4:06 pm
    Backstageatapuppetshow Says:
    October 6th, 2012 at 4:02 pm
    The LA Experiment seems to going splendidly today….

Oakland, say your goodbyes!

==========================================

Even Cork’s now saying it’s 50-50.

So here’s the next question: Downtown LA or City of Industry?

I vote for Industry.

Do u guys SERIOUSLY think Raiders are moving to LA?

• VaRaiderNation

raider till i die Says:
    October 6th, 2012 at 6:17 pm
    ___________

All I have to say is if we have a top 5 pick, which it looks like we will. Please, please Reggie pass on Matt Barkley, we need a pass rusher, cornerback, or elite O lineman. I think Barkley has BUST written all over him.

• Priesttj12

344.Gdog Says:
    October 6th, 2012 at 4:42 pm
    Anyone want to see McFadden blowing an 80 yard TD early second half? If he broke outside instead of into two defenders inside, it was to the HOUSE! Brisiel had the outside sealed off perfectly and Murphy had the CB taken out of the play perfectly. These are the plays McFadden made in his sleep last year.

We’d be leading 13-10 at that point. Instead we punted.*********************************************
    GDog if you correctly look at this play it was well defensed. Champ Baily#24 forces and the ILB #52 scrapes from the inside and blows up the play whether he could have bounced it better is debatable but I doubt. DMC got what was there.

• DJ Johnny

VaRaiderNation Says:
    October 6th, 2012 at 6:30 pm
    raider till i die Says:
    October 6th, 2012 at 6:17 pm
    ___________

Is that the reality? We’re talking draft? Oh boy.

That’s pretty sad if we’re to that point already.

• Super Dawg

PMPP In Full Effect

Let the partay roll. Super Dawg just busted a Super Lawg so big it took three mules and fourteen men to get it off the sidewalk.

Now I gots to get my posse primed for some hot tubbin BBQ, if yawl know what I mean. Spicy stuff.

WHO NEEDS IN AND OUT WHEN ITS RIGHT IN THE TUB, HOLLA

• VaRaiderNation

Sad but true, I’m still hopeful that we can turn things around, but I have NO FAITH in this coaching staff and many of our players. Knapp is terrible, I’m not on the “change the scheme” bandwagon, the zbs is here to stay, and although it doesnt fit our talent it can be effective, we just have the worst OC in football running it, and a terrible O line coach. I think if DA shows some balls and turns play calling over to Saunders it can be salvaged. Will he do that? Probably not. The only coach I can kind of give a pass is Tarver.

• VaRaiderNation

Palmer, DMAC, Reece, Moore, DHB, Wiz, Veldheer, Ausberry, Burris, Wheeler, Houston (should be moved inside), Kelly (because we cant replace everyone next year), and maybe Branch (if he can get his sh!t together and be the player we paid for). These are the only starters that should still be on this roster next season imo. Those are the only players that I have any faith in on this team, and Kelly and Branch arent exactly impressing me. I like Seymour but he’s NOT worth his contract, he’s a situational player now, not a gamechanger. Doesnt even practice, just saving for retirement. smh

• flatulence in a can

New Orleans wins at home.

NE wins at home.

Ravens win on the road.

At least something good will become of the Raiders bye week. Hopefully Allen is game planning for Atlanta instead of sobbing over spilled milk.

Keys to Raiders victory vs. the Falcons:

*Saunders and Palmer take over the offense.

That’s all.

• VaRaiderNation

We need to put up at least 40 to beat Atlanta, not gonna happen with Krapp running the show. Anyone else have the suspicion that Saunders was more involved in playcalling in the Steelers game? I know it doesnt make sense because it seems we would have stuck with it against Denver. It just looked like a different offense in week 3, same old sh!t weeks 1,2, and 4. Just seems odd to me.

• flatulence in a can

Has Saunders been named the new OC yet?

• VaRaiderNation

I wish

• LAWG JAMMY JAM

Super Dawg Says:
    October 5th, 2012 at 9:08 pm
    Yo Party Brahs, Nerds and Goobers

I wanna be like the beeech dawg, the beeech dawg, the beeech dog
    (echo and fade effect)

I wanna be like the beeech dawg, the beeech dawg, the beeech dawg
    (echo and fade effect)

You know I can bust a nut, all over my gut, and up your butt

I wanna be like the beeech dawg, the beeech dawg, the beeech dawg
    (echo and fade efffect)

And all this without messin up my pubes brahs.

PMPP BRINGIN IT TO A LOCAL THEATRE NEAR YOU

• RaiderRetribution

Raiders’ first round draft choice: G. Smith, baby!

• RaiderRetribution

VA, add Bryant to your list Raiders need to resign him.

• http://raiders.com Chips O Toole

G’day mates.

• eastoaklandraider

ATL can literally throw their jock straps on the field and beat us. I’m moving on to the Jags a team we could possibly beat since we got’em at home but I still remember them running all over us last time we played them in Jax with their backup RB looking like Gale Sayers and I still don’t remember the bums name but he torched us.

• http://raiders.com Chips O Toole

Chips O Toole here. Oil and hotels from down unda. Gotta couple of wallabees who are turning out to be “wannabees” if you know what I mean.

Gonna take a couple of “Shelia’s” back to the shack. “Sheila’s” are Aussie gals.

The hottub is heating up mates and so are the ‘Sheila’s’. They’re hopping up and down like kangaroos.
    Gonna pop a Foster’s Lager and get bizzy in the shazizzy..Holla.

FRESH AND FLY FROM THE OUTBACK

• https://twitter.com/Albert_B_Paine Albert Bigelow Paine

Raiders should draft this Ohio State QB. He looks pretty good.

• https://twitter.com/Albert_B_Paine Albert Bigelow Paine

Beeecham, I mean Chips, are you trying out some new characters?

• http://raiders.com Chips O Toole

You Goobers and assorted raisenettes don’t know how good I got it.

Gonna lay down some sweet jams from Sydney Symphony Orchestra..STRAIGHT SIZZLE ON THE DIZZLE.

Gotta fry up some Koala bears on the Hibachi.

Got some Aussie Bleu on ice…better soak my nads in it for awhile.

You nerds be good and I just might put another shrimp on the barbie for ya.

KEEPING IT UP FROM DOWN UNDER

• Al_is_theraiders

packers just released phillip merling, reggies first pick in the 2nd round…3.5 sacks in 3 years….guess we can expect reggie to bring him aboard…smh

• http://raiders.com Chips O Toole

Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    October 6th, 2012 at 8:05 pm
    Beeecham, I mean Chips, are you trying out some new characters?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    G’day Albert. I don’t quite know who this ‘Beech’ is you speak of but you seem like an alright bloke.

Maybe I’ll let you join my super elite Aussie club called the “Outback Party Strike Force”.

Good on ya mate.

KEEPING IT FRESH FIZZLE IN THE OUTBACK BLAZIZZLE

• https://twitter.com/Albert_B_Paine Albert Bigelow Paine

Al_is_theraiders Says:
    October 6th, 2012 at 8:10 pm
    ——
    Hey dummy! Reggie didn’t draft Merling. He was a Dolphin draft pick.

• AmysInCharge

Mont Bleu was pretty off the hook today, but cant compete with Harveys when they open up the Emerald Room for college pigskin,..sorry Plunkethead, I am the leader in the clubhouse still,..but keep trying as the contest goes til the wednesday prior to Jags loss,…heres mine, just try and top it…

OBAMMA/Biden 2012
    Gruden Allen (Bruce) 2013

You are all welcome to compete for my row 5 pair,..best banner for my row 1 location gets them,..best of luck,..no need for old fool kell or maddenraider, they wouldnt come to attend the game.

• AmysInCharge

And YES its true the Raiders are relocating to LA,..and the reason is simple,..the Oakland area has too many like old man kell and not enough Briens,..thats all there is to it.

• AmysInCharge

Catc ya all later, Im heading to Poor Reds, cool bar in Diamond Springs. ;)

• Al_is_theraiders

i guess reggie didnt bring him aboard then?

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

Chips O Toole Says: G’day mates.???????????What time is it in your new fantasy world, Sully?

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

Or is that beech. And, seriously, is there a difference?

• Super Dawg

YO BLOG BRAHS, NERDS, AND SUPER GOOBERS

Super Dawg just laid another Super Lawg. This time the duece was so big, when it dropped into the toilet bowl, it cracked the muthafckr. What a mess. But my posse cleaned it up for me.

Got a cooler full of bud lite floatin in the bath tub. Gonna get down and dirty with my posse in the tub (if yawl catch my drift).

KEEPIN IT REAL IN THE TUB, BLOG BRAHS FO BRIZZLE. HOLLA

• Oakglen

HI EVERYBODY :o

GOOOOOOOOOO RRAAAAIIIIIIIDDDEERRRRRRRRRRRSSSS!!!!!!!!

• JB

I bought a new iPhone 5 and was experimenting with Siri, the artificial intelligent helper on the phone. My initial feeling was Siri was actually pretty dumb. Then, I asked her a trick question, “Why are the Raiders such a schitty team”? This is true and I guess it proves that Siri really is pretty bright. Siri responded to my question, “Here is a roster of the Oakland Raiders”. I can only take this to mean that our problem really centers around the quality of our players. Siri was really right on. Without talented athletes, we are going nowhere fast. Now, I’m just thinking about ow to ask about our infamous coaching staff. I’ll report back on the question & answer.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

Oakglen Says:
    HI EVERYBODY :o
    GOOOOOOOOOO RRAAAAIIIIIIIDDDEERRRRRRRRRRRSSSS!!!!!!!!===========================Big ten four on your enthusiasm.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

HI EVERYBODY :o ////////////////That’s funny. Your smiley face copies as an’o’ but posts as a smiley face. Mr Green would know more about this.

• The Golden Jew

Here’s my list of the best all time defensive linemen is nfl history:

Howie Long
    Randy White
    Bob Lilly
    Lyle Alzado
    Shea McClellen

The “worst” ever:

Deacon Jones
    Reggie White
    Ed “Too Stupid” Jones
    Michael Strahan
    Richard Dent

End of Story.

Don’t bother responding.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

The Golden Jew Says: Don’t bother responding.============How could I not, Sully? I busted you last time and why should this be different. Sad thst we’re both so bored. Although I am a genuine Raider fan.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

The Golden Jew is an hilarious handle.

• http://raiders.com Sullivan44

I’ll bet you Romney is back peddling after mispronouncing his words the other night.

He’s lucky if he wins any of the states.

I mean, who can like this guy? He’s got more grey in his hair than Anderson Cooper.

Gotta give Anderson credit for coming out like he did he’s a brave and caring soul.

It’s like Elton John and the premier of Bermuda. There’s no bermuda shorts to cover up for schmering haas and figor. Lol

Unless condone happenings.

I told you…

Don’t bother respond…i’m tired i don’t need it.

• http://raiders.com Sullivan44

Americans need to stand up. How long can this country deny soccer it’s due. Like nascar is for hicks for nothing lol.

The General Lee should be burned and sent to the nazis to be torched.

I can just see Penny Marshall in daisy dukes….or Boss Hogg od then he tries to…lol.

Don’t insult me

• Car Wash Dude

Sup dudes? Riader s gunnaw beet the at lanta tommmoro 22-21

• Raider8

raiders dont play this week car wash.

• EMRaiders

RIP AL. Next Sunday your Raiders will win one for you. A la Houston 2011. All emotion and that will same emotion will carry them the rest of the season.

Let’s hope so eh….

• http://raiders.com Oscar Jugg and his up river string quartet

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

Why do people point to their wrist when asking for the time, but people don’t point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?=============I do. I’m not politically correct.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

And if you don’t answer quickly, well…

• http://raiders.com Sullivan44

Don’t be surprised is Romney starts ordering executions of all people opposed to him. It’s like PROP48..didn’t stand a chance with all the nazis the Terminator left in office.

I’m telling you the guy’s dangerous. Almost as bad as Al’s henchmen. Al’s snipers would’ve taken out Cable if he thought he could get away with it.

How else you explain Herrera and that mess with the media.

I know for a fact Al had a hit out for Ron Wolf when he left for Tampa.

Gruden’s lucky he escaped with his life.

• http://raiders.com Oscar Jugg and his up river string quartet

Why does Donald Duck wear a towel when he comes out of the shower, when he doesn’t usually wear any pants?

• Raider8

Oscar Jugg and his up river string quartet Says:
    October 6th, 2012 at 10:13 pm
    ************
    it’s best not to contemplate these eternal mysteries.

• http://raiders.com Oscar Jugg and his up river string quartet

Do jellyfish get gas and fart from eating jellybeans?