Remembering Al Davis a year later

Some of the people closest to Al Davis are still coming to grips with his loss last Oct. 8.

Here’s a link to a Bay Area News Group story story on the death of the icon and what some of his friends miss about him.

Here are some additional notes and quotes posted on the Web from a few players about Davis . . .

For a sense of how much things have changed in the past year, consider 25 of the 53 players on the Raiders roster one year ago today no longer are here, with Chimdi Chekwa on the practice squad.

Here’s a breakdown of the changes from the Oct. 9 game against the Houston Texans:

Starters gone: C Samson Satele, TE Kevin Boss, QB Jason Campbell, FB Manase Tonga, CB Stanford Routt, CB DeMarcus Van Dyke, LB Kamerion Wimbley, LB Quentin Groves,

Reserves: QB Kyle Boller, RB Michael Bush, RB Rock Cartwright, WR Louis Murphy, WR Chaz Schilens, CB Chimdi Chekwa, CB Chris Johnson, CB Joe Porter, CB Ron Parker, S Jerome Boyd, LB Darryl Blackstock, LB Bruce Davis, OT Joseph Barksdale, OT Bruce Campbell, OT Stephon Heyer, DT John Henderson, DE Jarvis Moss, DE Trevor Scott.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Just Fire Baby

Raiders only 8 point dogs is pretty remarkable actually.

You know EVERYONE will pound the Falcons, and probably lose.

Raiders with the over.

• boss01

Not happening.

====================

Won’t know since some teams have played every game, some have had a bye, either way I don’t care what the rankings are, all I know is this defense stinks and I don’t want to watch these same faces on D just show up and get rolled every possession. Kelly, Seymour, McClain, Huff & Houston gotta go. None of them would start anywhere else. McClain & Huff probably wouldn’t make a roster.

• DJ Johnny

733.Just Fire Baby Says:
    October 8th, 2012 at 8:36 am
    I know this much, this defense can’t stop anybody, dead last in the league right now,

************************

AHEM….25th in the league right now, better than last years 29th.

I don’t care where they are “ranked” this defense THIS yr. seems worse than last yr.

Alot of factors come into play, like where teams start their drives against us etc. etc.

To me they just seem worse.

I didn’t think that was possible cuz last yr. we blamed everything on Bresnahan.

• Just Fire Baby

49ers are averaging an unheard of 195 yards per game and 6.1 yards per carry.

Un-real numbers.

• Just Fire Baby

*******************

You are what your record is, so we are not.

Amongst all your factors, going from a top 10 offense to a bottom 5 offense doesn’t factor into the defensive numbers?

Cuts both ways my friend.

Let’s stick to the facts, and not twist the variables.

• Roley Poley

If ANYBODY told me our defense could be worse this year than it was last year, I would told them them I’d sh!t a gold brick for just the notion that a worse D was even remotely possible. Now I gotta figure out how to sh!t a gold brick.

• Roley Poley

Best D, worsrt D, best O or worst, YPC’s etc., BFD. We’re 1-3 and about to go 1-4. Season is toast.

‘Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter’
    (Dantes Inferno)

• The Big Banana

Roley Poley Says:
    October 8th, 2012 at 9:02 am

——

Lol!

• DJ Johnny

Leaders lead by example.

While alot of guys stick around during the bye to work on their game, our defensive “leader” not only doesn’t stick around, but gets excused to bail out early so he can get the heck outta there.

That’s fine. It’s his right to do so and all that but that is not setting any example of sacrifice for the young guys.

• boss01

==========================

People thought that by keeping the same sorry players and changing up the scheme, they would all of a sudden start making plays, well the proof is in the pudding. New scheme, same if not worse results. Time to clean house on D, starting with Seymour, Kelly and Slo

• DJ Johnny

755.Just Fire Baby Says:
    October 8th, 2012 at 9:01 am

*******************

You are what your record is, so we are not.

Cuts both ways my friend.

Let’s stick to the facts, and not twist the variables.

Very true. When the offense is constantly 3 and out it outs added strain on a defense. I agree.

They just seem to be worse by looking at them play. All the guys wide open underneath, the poor tackling, no pass rush…

• RAIDERMAN99

Raiders only 8 point dogs is pretty remarkable actually.

You know EVERYONE will pound the Falcons, and probably lose.

Raiders with the over.
    =========================================
    Yeah, 8 is very surprising.

Home field is worth about 3 in the NFL, so they’re saying the Falcs are -5 over the Raids on a neutral field.

Too low IMO.

Greg Krapp still the Raid OC ?

I gotta go UNDER and hope the Falcs don’t score 48 themselves.

DJ Johnny Says:
    October 8th, 2012 at 8:38 am

With me, it’s always rooting AGAINST certain teams to win rather than rooting FOR any team in particular.
    ………………………………

That’s what being a Raider fan does to you. It’s normal and just part of the Bizzaro Complex that makes us unique. There are times I can’t even watch football just to appreciate good plays or appreciate great players and talent. The Bizzaro Complex (also known as the Bizzaro Syndrone) won’t allow me to do that.

We’re in it for the pain. We are Raider fans.

Bring back Marshall.

Install Saunders as the OC.

Seymour, Kelly and Slo need to sh!t or get off the toilet.

Thats the answer to all our woes in a nutshell.

• The Big Banana

——-

Huff and others predicted great things. One of them even said top 5 D, was it Seymour? Anyways, much of the expectations came from just listening to the players. You’d think they knew a thing or two. Guess not…

Another front row banner:

Reggie, Show Your Balls.

• RAIDERMAN99

Now I gotta figure out how to sh!t a gold brick.
    ================================================
    Keep me posted if you figure out how to do that.

I might want to open a mine in your toilet bowl.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

White Devil,

Stop it. The vest could have done more, and that would have solved the issue and satisfied the NCAA.
    TP!! lol
    Go Buckeyes!
    Damn you Mich!
    Eff ND!

• https://twitter.com/Albert_B_Paine Albert Bigelow Paine

How bad do you think the 49ers would destroy Raiders?

RAIDERMAN99 Says:
    October 8th, 2012 at 9:19 am
    Now I gotta figure out how to sh!t a gold brick.
    ================================================
    Keep me posted if you figure out how to do that.

I might want to open a mine in your toilet bowl.
    ……………….
    :lol:

Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    October 8th, 2012 at 9:21 am
    How bad do you think the 49ers would destroy Raiders?
    ……………………..

Who gives a shіt about that. Anybody could destroy us right know until Saunders, Dmac and Palmer take over the O.

• The Big Banana

Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    October 8th, 2012 at 9:21 am
    How bad do you think the 49ers would destroy Raiders?

—-

Glad we don’t play them this year. Have a neighbor that tried to bet me for team with better record (he’s a niner fan), with the loser having to hang the other team’s flag in their yard or off their house. He offered a 2 game handicap and u wanted 4 games. Glad he turned it down. Looks like they’ll cover that easily before mid-season.

• The Big Banana

*I wanted

• boss01

The question should be how badly Atlanta will destroy us next week. Julio Jones, Roddy White and Tony Gonzales will put up some serious yards and td’s on this sorry D. Tony Gonzales will absolutely destroy Slo in the middle.

• https://twitter.com/Albert_B_Paine Albert Bigelow Paine

Boss01 Says:
    October 8th, 2012 at 9:34 am
    ———
    Raiders should just save a trip and forfeit. They could have an extra week to prepare for the Jaguars.

• http://ibabuzz.com/raiders [BREAKING NEWS]

[Remembering Al Davis a year later]

______________________________________________

Thanks nfl dot com for not one article on your weak web site about the man who made the NFL what it is today. No other man has single handedly done more to make this game what it is today than Al Davis and you fail to mention his one year time of passing. Shame on you for that. That’s taking low to new depths.

• https://twitter.com/Albert_B_Paine Albert Bigelow Paine

——
    Get over it.

• fangsraiders

WEEK 5 BABOON QB UPDATE…..0 wins…2 loses……for the season 7 wins…11 loses !!! BABOONS CAN’T PLAY QB!!! CAM NEWTON SUCKS

• https://twitter.com/Albert_B_Paine Albert Bigelow Paine

Fangsraiders Says:
    October 8th, 2012 at 9:48 am
    ——-
    Shut up Oakofshow.

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

Fangsraiders Says:
    October 8th, 2012 at 9:48 am

===========================================

Get your racist garbage off this board, please.

• theghostronin79

Hey Banana…High Five on your weekend man. Mine was almost identical, except for the fence part….Even made the same waffles and everything….

It was a fantastic weekend.

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

[BREAKING NEWS] Says:
    October 8th, 2012 at 9:41 am

============================================

You’re joking, right? What exactly is NFL.com supposed to run: “Al Davis – One Year Later, He’s Still Dead”?

• AmysInCharge

Times running out for you fans to win the pair in row 5 for Jax,…best banner for me to place in my row 1 location gets them,..contest ends the wednesday prior to game,..I am the leader in the clubhouse…lets go, or is winning terrifying you because you might actually have to leave your house and attend a game?…(ok we know that about old fool kell and mamas boy mr),..ok, good luck…heres what you need to beat”

Obamma/Biden 2012

Really? Our D got worse?

AmysInCharge Says:
    October 8th, 2012 at 9:58 am

Obamma/Biden 2012
    Gruden/Allen (Bruce) 2013
    ……………………….

No knapp = positive yards.

• AmysInCharge

Nope

• Plunketthead

Dakota
    What do you think of those helmets?
    I dont like the hologram? gold or the half helmet.

The boxing lep is cool though

AmysInCharge Says:
    October 8th, 2012 at 9:58 am

Obamma/Biden 2012
    Gruden/Allen (Bruce) 2013
    ……………….

DA: Is this all you got?

AmysInCharge Says:
    October 8th, 2012 at 9:58 am

Obamma/Biden 2012
    Gruden/Allen (Bruce) 2013
    ……………………….

New era of Excellence, NOT

• AmysInCharge

Getting closer ese but not quite.

• The Big Banana

Theghostronin79 Says:
    October 8th, 2012 at 9:54 am

It was a fantastic weekend.

——–

Sweet, bro! Glad to hear it. There’s more to life than football.

• AmysInCharge

Translation to what Banana said…: The Raiders suck, Im going to pretend now that football was never important to me. LMAO

• The Big Banana

AmysInCharge Says:
    October 8th, 2012 at 10:16 am

—–

Lol. I’m hurtin just like everyone else, but I’m not gonna let it rule my life.

• jimmyball12

I know a bartender/recreational 7man football ref from north philly (close to where i live). He knew Gannon and his dad throughout his life, grew up with him. He told me the stuff Gannon had to say about the organization was crazy, he said Gannon doesn’t talk about his tenure with the raiders….at all..Gannon retired a viking and married a minnisota native..him and AL didnt see eye to eye..

• The Big Banana

Now that the sugar high has long worn off, we realize the Koolaid was all artificial flavoring and sweetener, as Koolaid tends to be.

• AmysInCharge

Jimmy,..Gannon threw 5 picks in the superbowl,..the Raiders wouldnt allow him to retire with them.

• AmysInCharge

The Raiders gave Gannon a career,..he was a bum before them and now is one without them.

• jimmyball12

AmysInCharge Says:
    October 8th, 2012 at 10:21 am
    ——–
    When was the last time the Niners were in the bowl? lol Just giving it back to you brother..Talking about Superbowl, the guy told me gannon wouldnt even talk about it, he said he changed the subject when Barret Robbins was brought up..sad stuff man..