1,127

Raiders eager for more takeaways

The Raiders are tied for last in the league in terms of turnovers on defense. Perhaps most glaring, the Raiders are one of only two teams without an interception this season.
Hence, there is what strong safety Tyvon Branch calls an added emphasis on getting that turned around. In a hurry.
The Raiders forced four fumbles, and recovered three, their first four games. Even so, that’s not the rate of return coach Dennis Allen and defensive coordinator Jason Tarver want on their investment.
Never mind that the Raiders played against three veteran quarterbacks their first three games — Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger and Peyton Manning, Allen and the players said. It’s incumbent upon the Raiders to force the issue.
“We call them takeaways, which means that we control them,” Allen said. “It’s not like the offense gives us the ball. We go out and take it away from them. So, yeah, there’s things that we can do.”
Branch said it’s as simple as tackling better on plays in which the quarterbacks checks down the ball and thereby forcing longer passes in traffic.
“Once we start tackling better, they got to start making high-risk throws in order to accomplish what they want to accomplish,” Branch said. “So, football’s crazy. Once they start coming, they’re going to come in bunches.”
Turnovers come as a result of defense played at a fevered pitch, Allen said.
“We got to have 11 people flying around to the football, flying around like their hair’s on fire,” Allen said. “And that’s the way you play defensive football. It’s been that way since the beginning of time, and it won’t change.”
Free safety Michael Huff envisioned the Raiders defense being a top-five unit that imposed its will on opposing offenses. Part of playing that style of defense, naturally, would result in numerous turnovers.
The realization that the Raiders are without an interception through four games is something Huff has difficult grasping.
“I wouldn’t have believed it,” Huff said. “Even based off preseason, you could just see, it was a great defense when we play our defense. And for us not to have any picks and only a few sacks just boggles (the mind).”

– The bye week afforded Allen and his coaching staff added time to evaluate the roster and the first four regular-season games.
Allen had this to say about what he gleaned from the process:
“Obviously, there’s things that we can do better as a coaching staff to put our players in a little bit better position,” Allen said. “At the end of the day, it comes down to players going out and executing and making the plays they get the opportunity to make.
“We’re all in this thing together and we’re continuing … This will be a constant thing, it is in the NFL. You never rest. You keep looking for ways to improve. Last week was a good week for us to kind of look at ourselves and what we’re doing and how we can do it a little bit better.
Allen said it was nice to be able to step away from the hustle and bustle of the season and see things from a fresh perspective.
In short, he said he learned some things about his team, as well as reinforced already formed opinions on some things.
“The season moves fast,” Allen said. “Sometimes you think you see something, and it’s not exactly the way you saw it. When you get a little bit of time to sit back and look at it, spend a little bit of time looking at it, it opens your eyes to a few different things. We looked at a lot of different areas from what we were doing well and what we have to improve on. We’ll move forward from there.”
Defensive end Lamarr Houston honed in on one aspect of his game during the bye week.
“As a D-line, we need to apply more pressure to the quarterback and we need to make more of an impact in the games,” Houston said. “That’s basically what I really was focusing on, because we’ve been pretty good in the run game, and we also need to improve on third downs, that’s a part of rushing the passer.”

– Wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey has passed all his concussion-related tests, as mandated by the league, and been cleared for full contact, Allen said.
Heyward-Bey looked at full strength in practice today, running multiple routes at full speed and doing everything asked of the other wide receivers.
Therefore, it’s likely that he will make his return Sunday against the Falcons. He last played in a game Sept. 23, when he was knocked from the game with a helmet-to-helmet hit from Steelers safety Ryan Mundy.

– Linebacker Aaron Curry is eligible to come off the physically unable to perform list Oct. 16. Once he practices for the first time, a 21-day window begins for the Raiders to decide how to proceed.
Here’s what the rule states:
“At any time during that period, the club can restore the player to the active/inactive list. If the player is not restored to the active/inactive list on the day after the conclusion of the 21-day period, and the club elects to carry the player on reserve/PUP or reserve/non-football injury, the player shall not be permitted to play in any games and is not allowed to practice or participate in team or individual drills during the remainder of the season (including postseason).”
Rookie Miles Burris has filled in for Curry the first four games at weak-side linebacker. If Curry is healthy enough to be activated, Allen has to decide how best to use Curry.
Curry missed all of training camp and some of the offseason workouts because of sore knees. It’s a stretch to envision Curry getting into football shape in a short amount of time, but he certainly could reach that point during the 21-day window.
Curry declined an interview for the second time in recent weeks. He said he isn’t allowed to speak with the media as long as he’s on the physically unable to perform list.
Allen said he’s eager to see where Curry is at when he returns next week.
“He has made some progress,” Allen said. “It’s different when you’re doing your rehab work as opposed to when you’re actually out there playing football. It will be a great deal for us to get him out here, get him working some football, running around and doing some football movement and really getting back into the swing of what we’re doing defensively because it’s been a while since he’s gotten an opportunity to participate.”
Curry missed some of the offseason workouts and all of training camp.

– Allen said the Raiders did not work out any free agents last week. However, there’s the “potential” to do so this week.
He added that the starting lineup figures to look much as it did when the Raiders last played a game.
“I wouldn’t expect just a bunch of wholesale changes,” Allen said. “We’ve put a lot of time into the guys out there that we have on the field. We’re going to continue to evaluate that as we go through and whatever lineup changes we feel like are necessary to maybe give us a boost and help us maybe play a little bit better, we’ll make those changes.”

– Tight end Richard Gordon (hamstring), rigth offensive tackle Khalif Barnes (groin) and cornerback Shawntae Spencer (foot) are making progress toward a return to the field. However, it doesn’t sound likely that they will be back in time for the Falcons game.
Allen said Barnes and Gordon are “week to week.” As for Spencer, his right foot still is in a protective boot. Spencer and Barnes suffered their injuries against the Miami Dolphins on Sept. 16. Gordon got hurt in practice two days before the Broncos game the following week.

– Several players spoke about the anniversary of managing general partner Al Davis’ passing. Hers’s a sampling of what they said:
“We don’t really talk about it, but I can tell you there’s guys in here that were close to him, including myself, that you do kind of take a moment to yourself and just think about it and know you’re thankful for him and what he’s done and his family and the organization that he built from the ground up. And you’re just really appreciative of it.” — fullback Marcel Reece

“All I can say is, I’m going to make him proud as his last pick. I’m getting better every day. I know he’s looking down scheming over the Raiders because he loved football. All I know is, I’m going to make him proud and I’m going to be exactly what he thought I was going to be.” — quarterback Terrelle Pryor

“When you think about the Raiders, you think about Mr. Davis and what he meant, not only to this franchise, but to the NFL He’s an icon that surpassed, when you talk about leaving a legacy, he’ll always be remembered whether it’s the one-year or the 10-year, the century mark, decade mark, you’re always going to think about what it meant to put on the silver and black and just that mindset and mentality.” — defensive tackle Richard Seymour

Steve Corkran

• blackandsilverside

Any questions, genius ????

• DJ Johnny

Eye in the Sky Says:
    October 9th, 2012 at 7:29 pm
    DJ Johnny Says:
    October 9th, 2012 at 7:24 pm
    943,

I got ya. I’ve always thought living ANYWHERE in California (outside of Barstow or something) would be very expensive.

——-
    Kell bought his house for $350,000 in 2003.

Wow.

A “small” house for 350,000?

No wonder my uncle moved out there to get into real estate.

• DJ Johnny

…my uncle is Kool Kell by the way..(kidding).

• Eye in the Sky

It look small. 1,290 square feet. He lives in Alameda, which is a pretty posh area.

• Eye in the Sky

Kell is 60 years old. His real estate agent picture must be pretty outdated:

• DJ Johnny

954, Ok that makes more sense then. Really it’s probably no more expensive than living in Cook Co. in Chicagoland..depending on where u live.

There’s people with houses in Libertyville (kind of fancy suburb) who are paying 16,000 yr. in prop. taxes.

• Eye in the Sky

I think Oakland is probably cheaper to live in or the same as Chicago.

• RamblingRose

Alameda? Posh? obviously you have never been to Alameda. It’s anything but posh. Lots of it is rundown. Some areas ok. Most homes are small, starter homes.

• Eye in the Sky

It seemed nice to me. A lot nicer than Oakland.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

DJ Johnny Says:
    How much would a guy have to earn to live a happy life in a decent area and drive a Camry let’s say?///////////////Where you at, DJ? I grew up in Pasadena and might find it too expensive now. Left for the Sierra foothills, Grass Valley, in’91 in my thirties and went back 4 years later and the changes were dramatic. The wino district was now old town and yuppied to the max. In 2005 it was unrecognizable as was the entire greater LA area I was once familiar with. LA was never a world class city and they set out to fix that, Hollywood was their only claim to fame. Not entirely, but largely. They have and I doubt I could afford it now, but remember
    the 25-40$ per hour my contracting brings in up here would be, he11, I don’t even know. I was making 40 in the hollywood hills in 1980. Didn’t answer any questions, just waxed nostalgic. Never been tempted to return even with promises of work.

• RamblingRose

yep, typed in bayfarm island: and his name, and it pops up a small house, for sure.
    If you put in address in google, get a street view and can pan around and see houses in area. all hella small. one across the street must be all of 800 sq ft.
    Again, not what you would call posh, fo shur.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

blackandsilverside Says:
    October 9th, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Any questions, genius ????
    /////////////////Just read it, dimbulb and I’m out for a smoke, but,yes I have questions and answers for you. If you want to learn, stay posted.

• Eye in the Sky

Kell’s wife is a HR manager. His only current listing is selling for $185,000. They can’t be too well off.

• RamblingRose

have to ask him if that’s his house. He talks like he has a huge house, not that shack.
    Maybe that’s a different Michael Kelly.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

lackandsilverside Says: Purvis, don’t play Alpha rooster with me. Pugnacious roosters tend to get their heads cut off with an ax.///////////You out running with Mistic and his sword?//Take your freak show in the foothills of the Sierras.//You remember.///////You are no voice for the Raiders and no voice for this blog.//Just a fan since ’79. Professed nothing else.//

• RamblingRose

Seems koolkell is all talk, total bs.
    Considering his wifes name is listed on that house, that has to be his house.
    Wat the hell is he acting all that when hes living where he is? Fool.

• Eye in the Sky

RamblingRose Says:
    October 9th, 2012 at 8:10 pm
    Maybe that’s a different Michael Kelly.
    ——-
    It’s him. If you google him and his wife, the same address comes up. I know for a fact who his wife is.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

blackandsilverside Says: Also you are a flat out, bold-faced liar when you say: “By extension you supported the Chefs, Donks, and Bolts when they were enjoying success to varying degrees. Rest my F’ing case, troll.”/////////blackandsilverside Says: Who would be stupid enough to thumb his/her nose at a great organization, with un-paralleled success, in favor of the worst club in football. Bronco’s were the best for a couple years there. What’s wrong with that statement, unless you’re gonna hang on the whiners having “un-paralleled success”. Geez, quit dogging, you won’t get dogged.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

If you’re a whiner fan, just say so. We don’t mind if you go bandwagonning.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

Wear that red and gold proudly, son.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

RamblingRose Says: Seems koolkell is all talk, total bs./////////////All hat, no cattle?

• Oakglen

HI EVERYONE :P

Sure do luv my RAIDERS!

• DJ Johnny

I can appreciate being positive but Greg Papa said this wk on ‘Raiders Report’ that “Tyvon Branch is palying good football for you” in talking with Jason Tarver.

Add that to Knapp telling us the offense “is making good strides”.

I realize now no matter how bad we are or what our record is, we’ll be told ad nauseum that everyone is playing well, everyone is getting better, etc. etc. etc.

I don’t know why i even listen to anything anybody says about anything from the Raiders.

I know what I see.

They’re not fooling anybody with that b.s.

• Korbark porizmok gluk gluk

Hi raiders fans. Greetings from my planet Zorbannabungoreah. We big raider fans. We also watch all the raider games that’s why we are real fans.

We like to soak our nads in warm oily oily before every raider game while we chilling some loco poco in the how you say ice coolah.

Got some mean bizzies smokin hot in the tub eating how you say double cheeseburger with bacon. Yummie. My babe is avatar look alike vivaca fox. Word. We are not like the avatars. We more like the Marta Qarppo.

YO DIGGITY MOHIZZLE

• beechams gay lover

one time beechy dawg and i put on alien masks and i cornholed him. it was pretty fun

• Bozo the ex clown

Whoa. Dropped a duece in the driveway. My neighbor got upset that I left it there. So I guess tomorrow I’ll have to go rent a jack hammer and bust it apart. holla

• Bozo the ex clown

Beechams Gay Lover Says:
    October 9th, 2012 at 9:12 pm
    —————–

Careful you don’t contract bungholereah.

• http://raiders.com Nikolai Popov

Good Evening Raider fans.

Please allow me a moment to make my introduction. My name..is Nikolai Popov. I am from the Ukrainian city of Dszblotzuk. My family and I are heep big Raider fans. We love the Raiders very mucho.

I enjoy very much the …how you say… “beyotches” that I find on your strange but appealing websites.

In Ukraine they ban such ..how you say….nasty things such as this.

I’m fixin to get…how you say…straight fly with some bizzies in my Ukranian hizzy.

Gonna probably soak my..how you say…nads on a chilled bottle of cheap vodka.

Unfortunately I have been having some…how you say…bowell problems of late, so I no doubt will be writing some song lyrics when I am how you say…pooping in the outhouse in a momento.

I will be happy to share them with you when I am finished.

We don’t have ..how you say…toilet paper where I am from so we use the Sears catalog.

I soon make big explosion…

CHERNOBYL AINT GOT NUTHIN ON ME WHUT WHUTSKI

• http://Heismantrophy.com Mr. Heisman Lombardi

RRRAAAAAIIIIIIDDDDDERRRRRRSSSSSS!!!!!

• http://Heismantrophy.com Mr. Heisman Lombardi

This is the week the Raiders break out of da funk!

• http://Heismantrophy.com Mr. Heisman Lombardi

Atlanta can’t run. They can’t pass block. Raiders all the way baby!!

• Buffalo Nuts

We will catch y’all later. Gonna head on over to Naddies Nad Soakin Salon and get a little r and r (if ya catch my drift) and then get wasted on some bud lite. They always treat a big dawg properly.

MO DIGGITY :P

• http://Heismantrophy.com Mr. Heisman Lombardi

DHB, Moore, Criner, Hagan and Streator. Myers, Ausberry we got tons of weapons.

• Buffalo Nuts

PMPP in full effect takin to the toilet. Holla

• Raider guy

Eye In The Sky Says:
    October 9th, 2012 at 5:24 pm
    If you imagine Beeech as this guy it is a lot more tolerable:

Why is that chick on the right taking a dump…and feeling so sad?

• beechams gay lover

thats not a chick thats a gender bender dude we picked up in venice beach. beechy sucked that dude off

• Raider guy

Oh…

• DJ Johnny

Hey Raider Guy,

You predict anything interesting to happen with this team? Free agent splash, surprising cuts? How about a move to LA?

I need something interesting.

I’m a fan…I need this team to provide me with some entertainment.

• Lunch Factor

Raider guy Says:
    October 9th, 2012 at 9:50 pm
    Eye In The Sky Says:
    October 9th, 2012 at 5:24 pm
    If you imagine Beeech as this guy it is a lot more tolerable:

Why is that chick on the right taking a dump…and feeling so sad?
    ———————————————-

That dude takin a dump is Missus Beeecham.

• Missus Beeecham

YALLA

if yawl had to push out a lawg the way i do, youd be hurtin. but i drop ‘em with ease. i just get focussed and zoned in when i roll one. thats my game face.

SHIZZLE ON THE HIZZLE FO BIZZLE, WIZZLE

• http://Heismantrophy.com Mr. Heisman Lombardi

Raiders can string together some wins in the coming weeks! RRRRAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDERRRRRRSSSSS!!!!!

• http://Heismantrophy.com Mr. Heisman Lombardi

Atlanta has a bye week after us. I bet they have already checked out.

• Kiwi_Blade

Raiders odds of winning Superbowl 800 to 1.
    This with only a quarter of the regular season gone.

It’s an absolute DISGRACE.

Only the Jaguars and Browns are worse at 1000 to 1.
    Reggie has a big job on his hands turning this train wreck of a franchise into playoff contenders.
    (source Betfair.com)

• blackandsilverside

Egads……all of Beeechy’s contacts have suddenly come out of the woodwork. Oh well, they are sort of a kindly lot.

For some reason I like Beeecham’s Gay Lover the best………..nooooo, now don’t get the wrong idea……I am just saying……

• blackandsilverside

Btw guys, you should know that you have possibly invaded KK’s privacy; it’s called public disclosure of private facts. An actionable tort, meaning he could sue you.

Constitutionally speaking, every person in this country has the right to just be left alone.

By investigating facts that are privy to KK such as the size of his house, putting his photo online etc, then posting them on the net, you have publicly disclosed KK’s private facts.

There are 2 true defenses to this tort: 1) if those facts are newsworthy they can be revealed; and 2) if those facts can be accessed by public record they are not considered private.

I am just saying, you have to be careful.

• Double Dippin

So if you expose the size of someone’s schlong that invades their privacy? Cuz Beechys Gay Lover said some stuff. Now the size of a deuce would be more interesting than a schlong.

• mcfadden20.

Who is this pathetic guy , that has all the time in this world to make different identities and talk with himself all night long and every single night

• RamblingRose

I recall seeing KK post lots of links to his realtor site, directing everyone to his picture, and his full name, while posting what area he lives.
    Pretty much his own doing.

• RamblingRose

Mr. Heisman Lombardi Says:
    October 9th, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Atlanta has a bye week after us. I bet they have already checked out.
    =========================
    So, instead of 6-0 going into the bye, you think they’ll be ok with 5-1?
    I think they’ll wnat to go out with a bang

• DKnight007

DJ Johnny Says:
    October 9th, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Add that to Knapp telling us the offense “is making good strides”.

I know what I see.

They’re not fooling anybody with that b.s.

^^^^^^^^
    Exactly!

Fun attending last weeks sweep of Texas for the Division and fun being at the game tonight.

We need tomorrows game to have a chance at game 5.

Griffin needs to step it up!

Go A’s!