Gonzalez won’t have Raiders to kick around after Sunday

By Steve Corkran
Wednesday, October 10th, 2012 at 3:20 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Tight end Tony Gonzalez has been a thorn in the Raiders side for most of his 16 NFL seasons, especially as a member of the Kansas City Chiefs.
If all goes according to plan, the Raiders will face Gonzalez for the final time Sunday, when the Raiders play the Atlanta Falcons on the road. Well, that is unless the Raiders and Falcons advance to the Super Bowl.
Gonzalez says he intends to retire after this season, even though he leads the NFL in receptions through five games.
“I’m still sticking to it,” Gonzalez said in a conference call with Bay Area medai. “I’m having some fun but I haven’t changed my mind at all. I’m still at 95 percent. I’m never ever going to say 100 percent. I’m just enjoying it one week at a time. I’m lucky enough to stick around this long. To end it like this, playing with some great players, great quarterback, great receivers outside, it’s a lot of fun.”
Falcons coach Mike Smith said he’s holding out hope that Gonzalez changes his mind at some point.
“I’m hoping for that 5 percent,” Smith said. “That’s all you can do. Tony’s without a doubt in my mind the greatest tight end to ever play the game, and he’s been a great addition to our football team and our organization.”
In 23 games vs. the Raiders, Gonzalez has 121 receptions for 1,473 yards and eight touchdowns. He missed one game with an injury. Gonzalez’ team won 16 of the 24 games against the Raiders.
Through the years, Gonzalez created a slew of memorable moments and milestones against the Raiders.
His first victory came against the Raiders on that infamous Monday night game in 1997, when Andre Rison caught a game-deciding touchdown pass from Elvis Grbac with 3 seconds left.
His longest touchdown reception came against the Raiders — 73 yards. The Raiders knocked the Chiefs out of the playoffs race in the regular-season finale in 1999 by overcoming a 17-0 deficit at Arrowhead Stadium.
Gonzalez also is quite fond of the memories from playing so many games at the Oakland Coliseum against a Raiders team he grew up rooting for in Los Angeles.
“I tell people that’s one of my favorite places to play, going out there, going into that chaos out there with all those fans and all that nuttiness,” Gonzalez said. “So, I kind of miss that.”
The Raiders certainly won’t miss searching for ways to defend Gonzalez, who is a sure-fire Pro Football Hall of Famer five years after he retires.
Former 49ers wide receiver Jerry Rice is the only other player in league history with more receptions than Gonzalez. That won’t ever change, Gonzalez said.
“Jerry can have that record,” Gonzalez said. “I see Jerry every offseason and if that subject comes up, I’m always telling him, ‘Man, you’re record is safe because I’m definitely breaking that.’ Even if there’s a slight chance I did come back next year, that would definitely be my last year, so there’s no way. That record is safe with Jerry. That and the Dancing With The Stars, I ain’t doing that, either.”

– Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie talks about how much he loves his draft picks. Hence, he said he is hesitant to part with his picks.
The Falcons took a different approach when it came to selecting wide receiver Julio Jones. They traded their own first-round pick (No. 27 overall), a second-rounder (59) and a fourth-rounder (124) in the 2011 NFL draft, in addition to their 2012 first-rounder and a fourth-rounder, to move up 21 spots and get Jones.
“Everybody was on board and, obviously, it’s something that worked out very well for us,” Smith said. “You’re going to have to make those kinds of decisions if you’re going to bring in a talented guy on to your roster.”
Jones caught 26 passes for 313 yards and four touchdowns in the Falcons first five games. He recorded 54 receptions for 959 yards and eight touchdowns in 13 games his rookie season.
The way Smith and general manager Thomas Dimitroff work hand-in-hand is something Allen admires.
“They, obviously, work together very well,” Allen said. “They got the right formula for winning football games. They understand how to win football games and they understand their personnel and what they’re looking for. So, yeah, in that mode, that’s a team that we, in some respects, try to emulate.”

– Kicker Sebastian Janikowski (groin) and defensive tackles Tommy Kelly (foot) and Richard Seymour (knee) were limited in practice today. All three are expected to play against the Falcons.
Allen said wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey (concussion) is looking good in practice and that Allen expects Heyward-Bey to play Sunday.
Quarterback Carson Palmer said Heyward-Bey isn’t showing any lingering effects from the helmet-to-helmet hit he received Sept. 23.
“Like he hasn’t missed a week,” Palmer said. “He caught the ball really well today. He looked extremely fast like he always does. There wasn’t one instance in practice or in meetings where he seemed a little foggy at all. That’s always the issue. It takes you a little while to kind of come out of a daze, but he’s out and he’s ready to play.”

– If the Raiders are going to emerge from their funk running the ball, now would seem to be the time, given the Falcons allow an average of 5.4 yards per carry this season.
Allen said he has seen progress from the running game the past week and a half, even though he isn’t about to make any radical changes.
“Well, you can’t throw everything out and just start over in the middle of the year,” Allen said. “So, yeah, there’s been a few tweaks, a few emphasis points, but nothing like a drastic change, other than we got to execute better. … We’ll see what it looks like when we go out and play on Sunday.”
Palmer said he realizes that people not associated with the Raiders aren’t pleased with the run game, but he said the team’s best bet is to run the ball even more because it puts the ball in the hands of their “best player.”
McFadden agrees that the run game is about to bust out any game now.
“You can see it,” McFadden said. “We see it out there. Guys keep grinding, like I say. It’s one of those things that you have to keep pushing and eventually it’s going to start hitting and it’s something we feel like we’ve been doing lately.”

– The Raiders are in the midst of a nine-game losing streak in terms of games played immediately after a bye week.
Palmer said he expects the Raiders to come out firing Sunday.
“It shouldn’t be hard there,” Palmer said. “There’s only two undefeated teams left. Their crowd is going to be really loud and intense, so it shouldn’t take us long to wake up.
“You’ve got a little bit of rust coming off of a bye but hopefully we shake that off fast. I expect us to. As big of a game as we’re going into and as difficult a situation, the hostile environment we’re going into, I expect we’ll bounce back and be ready to play.”

– Defensive end Andre Carter practiced in pads today for the first time since last year, when he was with the New England Patriots.
“It was good,” Carter said. “I felt like a new kid in school. It’s all great. I felt like I haven’t lost a step, getting accustomed to hitting. It’s definitely going to come down to the game as far as tackling, because you can’t really implement it at practice. You just go.
“I don’t have the preseason, I don’t have the training camp. You got to know what you’re going to do. You got to know your angles and just go ahead and go.”
Carter likely will get his first chance to go in a game Sunday. He hasn’t appeared in a game since he was signed by the Raiders two weeks ago.

• hwnrdr

What’s up O? Padres? For real? :)

Hwnrdr

What up man. How was that vacation?
    A’s had the coliseum going bananas last night.

Vote Green suckas!

• Just Fire Baby

Or soda, near-beer.

*******************************

Beer works, or booze and diet soda, lol.

• hwnrdr

DMAC Says:
    October 11th, 2012 at 11:04 am
    Hwnrdr

What up man. How was that vacation?
    A’s had the coliseum going bananas last night.

It was good and relaxing, even though I hardly had any sleep. But i tell ya, I was doing the Bernie last wednesday when I was following the game!

• Just Fire Baby

I’ll take it, as long as Brad Pitt doesn’t get rid of everyone again…lol

**************************

Nobody makes much money, so you should be good.

I think they will trade Drew maybe, and try to lock up Reddick while he is moderately cheap.

• DMAC

The Raiders did not get rid of their zone-blocking scheme during the bye week.
    Coach Dennis Allen did concede that the offense made a few tweaks to the running game, but said “you can’t throw everything out and just start over in the middle of the year.” The coaches and Carson Palmer insist that they will remain committed to running the ball with Darren McFadden, who is averaging 3.52 YPC. “Darren is doing a great job with the reads,” running backs coach Kelly Skipper said. “We just need to keep grinding. And all of a sudden, it will start popping. Big runs everywhere.”
    Source: San Francisco Chronicle

• hwnrdr

And I know, I want to go tonight but…if they win tonight, I’ll probably try to get ALCS tix!

• guest123

I’m cheering hard for the A’s to advance. They have former Tampa Rays reliever Balfour who is doing great for them, and I’m happy to see that. The A’s in many ways remind me of the Rays. Moneyball teams. David striking down Goliath. Hope the A’s get the chance to take down the Yanks.

• Just Fire Baby

Doing the Bernie Lean is a lot cooler than doing the Dougie, ghost-riding the whip or leaning like a chulo.

Just my two cents.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I can’t tolerate the its the talent talk. We have 16/22 starters back, DMAC is healthy, but we can’t run or score. Defense is just ad bad, if not worse.

I’m not impressed with this coaching staff.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Just Fire Baby Says:
    October 11th, 2012 at 10:58 am

I love jemile but he wasnt “the only reason” i watched last year.

*****************************

That’s what you said, don’t shoot the messenger.
    =====================

trying to take a statemnet out of context is very weak.

I am a life fan for over 30 years, last year weeks was the best offensive player we had on the team. Weeks obviously has not been playing for 30 years.

You cant do better than this?

• hwnrdr

Just Fire Baby Says:
    October 11th, 2012 at 11:05 am
    I’ll take it, as long as Brad Pitt doesn’t get rid of everyone again…lol

**************************

Nobody makes much money, so you should be good.

Hmmm, that would be interesting if Beane did that. Unless he has a SS in mind! We badly needed one! But locking up Spidey will probably be the best bet!

Just Fire Baby Says:
    October 11th, 2012 at 11:07 am

Just my two cents.
    ========

What about the Superman? (Soulja Boy)
    lol

• blackandsilverside

Just Fire Baby Says:
    October 11th, 2012 at 10:48 am
    The only reason Nnamdi ever left, was because his contract went void if he didn’t get a sack or INT.

Otherwise, Nnamdi would have been a Raider until Al died, and one of the most overpaid players EVER.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I heard that Nnamdi wanted to continue with the Raiders but AD didn’t want to continue with Nnamdi.

• hwnrdr

guest123 Says:
    October 11th, 2012 at 11:07 am

Yup, Balfour has been the man as of late!

• hwnrdr

Isn’t there a “Bernie Lean” song now?

Yeah

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Hwnrdr Says:
    October 11th, 2012 at 11:03 am
    What’s up O? Padres? For real?
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

LOL
    Have to pick ONE SD team. I feel bad calling SD home and not supporting any of it’s pro teams.
    Clippers are in LA, I hate the dischargers, so I have no choice. Padres it is!

• Just Fire Baby

The Drew’s are just bad seeds.

Selfish, moody, always arguing with umps.

People put up with JD because he could rake, but Stephen isn’t that good.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Just Fire Baby Says:
    October 11th, 2012 at 10:59 am

When Al saw that nnamdi was not going to be able to maintain that level of play he didnt offer.

************************************

His contract voided ,otherwise he would have been here last year.

Or do you think Al would have cut him?

========

we dont have to speculate or venture into never never land Tinkerbell, I dont play dungeons and dragons.

nnamdi’s contract voided every team had the chance to make an offer.

Al didnt make an offer, end of story. why rewrite it?

• R8ER MIKE

O !! whats up there V.P. ??
    and Dave where ya been my GreenParty brother ??

• hwnrdr

Raider O Says:
    October 11th, 2012 at 11:11 am
    Hwnrdr Says:
    October 11th, 2012 at 11:03 am
    What’s up O? Padres? For real?
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

LOL
    Clippers are in LA, I hate the dischargers, so I have no choice. Padres it is!

I hear ya, just messing with ya!

Just Fire Baby Says:
    October 11th, 2012 at 11:11 am

The Drew’s are just bad seeds.

Selfish, moody, always arguing with umps.

People put up with JD because he could rake, but Stephen isn’t that good.
    ========

Yeah, he’s not that good, but he’s a upgrade over Pennington. Has more range, and better pop.

• Just Fire Baby

****************************

I’m sure Nnamdi wanted to keep the gravy train flowing; why wouldn’t he?

If the option is to take $15 million and lose, or make $9 million and maybe win, 8 out of 10 players will take the $15 million and be cool with it.

• hwnrdr

Just Fire Baby Says:
    October 11th, 2012 at 11:11 am
    The Drew’s are just bad seeds.

Selfish, moody, always arguing with umps.

People put up with JD because he could rake, but Stephen isn’t that good.

True…and another bone headed move like last night…I tell ya!

• SilverNBlackPA

Here’s an excerpt from a long article about the Seahawks struggle to adapt to Cable’s ZBS. (Worth noting that they’ve finally gelled with it.) The “Payne” referred to is former NFL nose tackle Seth Payne:

============

“The big element that [the Denver Broncos that won multiple Super Bowls in the 90's] had was the offensive line coach that was sort of the revolutionary behind this modern zone running offense [in Alex Gibbs],” started Payne. “And, I’m a huge proponent of that offense — I don’t know why more teams don’t do it — and for your listeners, when you run a real zone offense, you’re talking about the offensive linemen stepping laterally at the snap, and running toward the sidelines, creating seams horizontally instead of trying to blow guys off the ball. Every offensive line uses some elements of zone-blocking, but teams like the Redskins and Texans do it predominantly. They have a very simple running game that is predicated on running toward the sideline.”

Payne went on, “What that does for you is it stretches the field for you horizontally; in essence, you’re almost moving the hashmarks as you do that. And, you’re getting the secondary, the linebackers — not only to commit to the run, but to commit to the run toward the sideline. So, when you do pass, you’ve really created a lot of nice open lanes.”

So, if this offense works so well, why don’t more teams use it? I’ve often wondered this myself, and Payne offered his theory.

“The downside is that it takes a lot of teamwork,” he said. “I’ve always equated it to running a full-court press, in basketball. You have to have guys that are really tough-nosed, grinder type guys that can work together and have really good endurance. You end up with smaller offensive linemen, you get scrappy guys — I hate that word, but it’s true — you get scrappy guys, receivers that can block downfield, and it’s very effective.”

The Seahawks don’t subscribe to the ‘undersized’ linemen tenet of this system quite as much as some teams have in the past – they started to when Alex Gibbs coached for Seattle shortly to start the 2010 season, but moved away from it in 2011 with the hiring of Gibbs’ protege, Tom Cable. But, under Cable, they still certainly value mobility in their personnel. “You need to have power, [and size],” Tom Cable recently said, “but you’ve got to have speed and quickness. It’s not a fat-guy system, it’s a big-guy system that can move and create violence.”

The scrappy type of player Payne describes certainly holds true for the Cable ZBS though, and is evident in some of the Seahawks moves over the last few seasons — Breno Giacomini, James Carpenter, J.R. Sweezy, Edawn Coughman, Rishaw Johnson, and Lemuel Jeanpierre, to name a few, all have ‘that nasty’ that you hear coaches talk about. Interestingly enough though, Payne went on to talk about how the ZBS affects, is affected by, and is even predicated upon the play of a few other key positions.

Said Payne, “I think it’s true that you don’t have to have a truly, Peyton Manning-type precision quarterback to [run the system effectively]. If you’ve got a guy like Matt Schaub, who’s a very intelligent quarterback, I was watching some games earlier today and I had forgotten how well he does throwing into the teeth of the blitz. He has a good sense for when blitzes are coming, and where to get rid of the ball when they come.”

The ability to stare down the gun barrel, as you’ll hear John Schneider (quoting Jaws) say.
    [The offense is predicated on] the line and the running backs,” Payne went on. “If you listen to some coaches that talk about coaching the system, all they talk about is — you almost have to look at the running back as an extension of the offensive line. That running back, more so than in a conventional scheme, really has to understand what those offensive linemen are doing, and it’s up to the running back, more so than in a conventional blocking offense, to really read, and understand where a center or guard are taking guys, because they’ll just wash them upfield if they’re beat.”

You may remember that sometime around Week 9 in 2011, the Seahawks essentially decided that despite the results, they were finally going to commit fully to the run. On first down, on second down, on third down – whether they were losing or not, installing that run-first identity was the most important thing. At that time, as it was explained by Cable after the season, Marshawn Lynch apparently accepted a fundamental change in his running style as proposed by Tom Cable: “We made a deal – you have to do it the way I tell you to do it, I ask you to do it,” Cable said. “And he’s done it. So a lot of credit, to me, goes to him because he was willing to kind of maybe push his ego or push own beliefs, to some extent, aside and then embrace something new.”

“Because,” Cable went on, “this is a system that asks backs to do things a certain way. Once you get in and through the line of scrimmage, then do your thing. You can do all the craziness you want then. But you’ve got to do it this way from A to B. And he bought in from A to B. And after that, what you do from C on is you.” Lynch began to improve on his runs from A to B – largely eliminating the dancing and fidgeting behind the line that had driven fans crazy early in the season and into last year. Then, predictably, has been a beast at point C, breaking tackles and consistently pushing the pile.
    Payne noted too, predictably, that the quarterback has a lot to do with the success of a ZBS.

“So,” he said, “once you sell it, with that running game, the quarterback better be really good at making his fakes, the quarterback better be ready to deal with a defensive end in his face on a boot, but it’s much more of a team concept, It’s a real team concept.”

===============

• SilverNBlackPA

Whole article can be found there. It’s worth a read.

The ZBS can and will work given time.

My issue is my doubts that Greg Knapp is the correct choice to run it.

• Just Fire Baby

Nice play Pence!!!

Saved a base and maybe a run.

hwnrdr Says:
    October 11th, 2012 at 11:13 am

Just Fire Baby Says:
    October 11th, 2012 at 11:11 am
    The Drew’s are just bad seeds.

Selfish, moody, always arguing with umps.

People put up with JD because he could rake, but Stephen isn’t that good.

True…and another bone headed move like last night…I tell ya!
    =========

After watching the replay last night, it looked as if Gallego had sent him and then changed his mind, but it was 2 late.
    There was serious miscomunication last night.

• DMAC

I hope Knappy proves me WRONG!!

• Raidernationdave

Whut up Mikey? Working like dog, partying like a Lion cause I’ve been eatin’ some cougars!

+++++++++++

R8ER MIKE Says:
    October 11th, 2012 at 11:11 am
    O !! whats up there V.P. ??
    and Dave where ya been my GreenParty brother ??

• guest123

Not saying the ZBS doesn’t work, but I still don’t like my O linemen to be small and scrappy. I want them to pancake block the man in front of them not depend on any weak link in the line. The ZBS depends on everyone doing their assignment or it breaks down quickly.

Why did the new coaching staff sign up for this hot mess blocking system? Why did they go and break what wasn’t broken?

• hwnrdr

There was serious miscomunication last night.

True, but Drew was hitting second when jackson (I think) grabbed the ball and he looked right at him…I blame both of them!

• Just Fire Baby

My issue is my doubts that Greg Knapp is the correct choice to run it.

*****************************

That’s always been the issue, not the system but who is teaching it.

Like that guy said, EVERY NFL team uses the system or some elements of it from time to time.

• DMAC

And don’t sleep on dem’ Dubs either this season. They’ve upgraded their bench and have a legit big man FIANLLY.
    If we can stay HEALTHY, Playoffs baby!

What up slut?

• DMAC

I’m ready for some cougars myself. Send dem lonely ones my way.

• DJ Johnny

The Seahawks adjusting to the zbs doesn’t give me much encouragement.

The best season they’ve had is 7-9 since Cable came aboard.

I don’t think they are a great example of something we want to aspire to regardless if they’ve “gelled” with it or not.

Even this yr. when they look so good, they’re still only 2-2.

The Texans? A different matter.

• Just Fire Baby

Was talking to a buddy who is a huge A’s fan this morning, and he thought the camera’s showed Drew not even celebrating with the team on the field after the last hit.

The camera’s did show him kind of smirking and walking back to the dugout (I think he was on deck at the time) but I can’t imagine that was true.

I will guess he was taking his gamer-bat back to the dugout to not get mixed up with his #2′s and batting practice bats.

• Raidernationdave

DMAC please don’t mischaracterize me please! Sluts give it away for free. I don’t.

I’m a Ho!

+++++

DMAC Says:
    October 11th, 2012 at 11:18 am
    What up slut?

• Just Fire Baby

Foothill High strikes!!!

• SilverNBlackPA

439.DJ Johnny Says:
    October 11th, 2012 at 11:19 am
    The Seahawks adjusting to the zbs doesn’t give me much encouragement.

The best season they’ve had is 7-9 since Cable came aboard.

Even this yr. when they look so good, they’re still only 2-2.

The Texans? A different matter.

++++++++++++++

The Texans are clearly who the Raiders want to be but the Seahawks are a good rushing team after sticking with the ZBS for a season despite ugly results in 2011.

And when DMac can get going he’s better than Marshawn Lynch.

And when defenses have to respect McFadden, Carson Palmer throwing to DHB and Denarius Moore is much better than Russell Wilson throwing to Sidney Rice and…I don’t know..Doug Baldwin?

Point is if the Raiders can gel with the ZBS and become a good rushing team, they’ll blow by where the Seahawks are. And it can happen.

Knapp’s playcalling on the other hand? That…..blows. May need a new ZBS offensive co-ordinator in here come the off-season.

Raidernationdave Says:
    October 11th, 2012 at 11:22 am

I’m a Ho!

+++++

DMAC Says:
    October 11th, 2012 at 11:18 am
    What up slut?
    ========

Well then……..
    That makes me a Sluto!

• Just Fire Baby

The best season they’ve had is 7-9 since Cable came aboard.

****************************

You mean the only season?

• Just Fire Baby

Pagan has to get the run in.

No arm in LF, infield in.

Come on mullet man!!!

• DMAC

The Green Team needs to seriously hook up one day at the game a smoke a pound!

• DJ Johnny

433.guest123 Says:
    October 11th, 2012 at 11:17 am

Guys bring up how SF turned things around in one yr. from 5-11 to 13-3 with Harbaugh and then they get shot down by guys saying “well the defense was already in place. You can’t equate the Raiders situation with SF’s”.

Well, one can rightly say the Raiders OFFENSE was pretty much in place and w/o McFadden last yr.

With that line of thinking someone could make the case that all the Raiders had to do is fix up one side of the ball and away we go…instead it gets blown up and re-constituted.

Is that akin to “blowing up” the niner defense? Harbaugh was smart enuff not to do that, instead focusing on what needed fixing.

I love the example of Seattle and the zbs cuz it shows the system does not necessarily make u a winner.

7-9 consecutive seasons doesn’t do it for me.

• The Big Banana

Even as a Giants fan, I must admit to rooting for the A’s, which normally isn’t my style. But this A’s team, the way they’ve been winning. Amazing. I like it.

Big B keeping it real!