Raiders hit the road, hope to hit back this time

By Steve Corkran
Thursday, October 11th, 2012 at 3:45 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders are one day away from boarding a plane for Atlanta in advance of their game against the Falcons on Sunday. This time, they are hopeful of faring better than they did the first two times they left the friendly confines of the Oakland Coliseum.
In the first road game, the Raiders led the Miami Dolphins 10-7 at halftime, only to watch the Dolphins outscore them 28-3 in the second half. The Denver Broncos scored all 27 points in the second half in turning a 10-6 lead into a rout.
“We have to do a better job coming out after halftime and establishing something, whether that be offense, defense or in the kicking game,” Raiders coach Dennis Allen said.
The biggest culprit is the way the Raiders performed on third-down plays in both games, Allen said.
“When you don’t get off the field on third down on defense, you play a lot of plays. When you play a lot of plays, you get tired, you get worn down. Then, offensively we’ve got to find ways in the second half to sustain drives and that will help our defense.”
Defensive tackle Richard Seymour said he wishes he had the answers as to why the Raiders played well in the first half of the team’s first two road games and so poorly in the second half.
“In the first half of games, we’ve definitely been right where we needed to be,” Seymour said. “It’s still a ball game. The second half, we haven’t come out and executed as well.”
The Raiders worked hard on finding out ways to carry the momentum from the first half of road games into the second half, Seymour said.
“If I knew all of it, I would definitely pass the word along to my teammates and we would get it done,” Seymour said. “That’s some of the things we’re working through at this point. As a player, you have to look yourself in the mirror, first and foremost, and say, ‘I have to do a better job,’ and everyone has to take that same approach.”

– Allen said he is hopeful of seeing defensive end Andre Carter make his Raiders deubt on Sunday. However, he isn’t certain if that’s going to happen just yet.
“He’s getting closer every day,” Allen said. “He’s had 2 ½ weeks of work getting back into football shape. (Wednesday) was the first time he actually practiced in pads. I’m getting more comfortable with where he’s at.”
Carter said he’s ready to roll. It says here, the Raiders use Carter sparingly, predominantly on third-down passing downs or obvious passing situations.

– Allen, defensive coordinator Jason Tarver and offensive coordinator Greg Knapp are fond of talking about the need for more explosive plays on offense and cutting down on the number of such plays defensively.
The so-called “explosive plays” are runs of 12 yards or longer and passes of 16 yards or longer.
Through four games, the Raiders defense allowed 34 explosive plays — 25 passes, 9 runs. Three in each category resulted in touchdowns.
The Raiders offense amassed 26 explosive plays during the same games — 22 passes, 4 runs. Two of those plays resulted in touchdowns, both on runs.

– Knapp said he is confident that the Raiders run game is on the verge of breaking out, and it has more to do with the way the players are looking in practice than the fact the Falcons allow an average of 5.4 yards rushing through five games.
Allen sounded just as confident, when asked a day earlier about the status of the run game.
“It’s more from our self-examination,” Knapp said. “We’ve done a good job of really diagnosing, OK, what are our strengths and weaknesses in the run game? What should we do more of in our strengths?
“And then having two weeks of practice, we had two good days during the bye week and the bonus day on Monday, of our line working together and really doing a fine job. So I’m excited. I’m looking forward to it to see the results of the good work that’s been put in.”
Right offensive tackle Willie Smith said he and his linemates are looking forward to an offense geared more toward the run.
“Any lineman, you would love to run the ball,” Smith said. “Definitely we should run the ball more. Hopefully we’ll do that. I don’t know what the game plan is, but just keep working and whatever they call be ready to go out and perform it.”
Running back Darren McFadden is champing at the bit hearing about the call for more runs from quarterback Carson Palmer.
“Oh, yeah, I’m always up for that,” McFadden said. “You want to put it in my hands more, I’m loving it. It’s something a running back likes — the more carries, the better the chances are of getting big runs.”

– Defensive tackle Tommy Kelly missed practice today with a foot injury he suffered in practice a day earlier. Allen doesn’t seem too concernd about the severity of the injury.
“We chose to keep him out today,” Allen said. “I fully anticipate that he’ll practice tomorrow and be OK to play. But, again, we’ll evaluate that tomorrow and see where we’re at. He seems to think he’s going to be alright.”

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

DJ Johnny Says:
    Purvisman,
    You’ll hear:
    -Cut Suisham
    -Roethlisberger is done
    -Our defense sucks
    -Maybe it’s time for Tomlin to go.

//////////////You got a couple right. Tomlin and defense. Some questioned a few of Big Bens throws and they were all good with Suisham. I guess his kick was close to dead center and just short. They all knew that was about his limit. Makes you appreciate Seabass.

• WinAGame

DJ Johnny Says:
    October 11th, 2012 at 10:04 pm
    Have any of you ever skipped a game on Sunday to be with family and your out somewhere, store, church, family event etc. and you know game is on but you’re trying not to think about it, and then you’re driving home from whereever and you turn on ESPN radio for a rundown of the scores, and there’s that anxious anticipation while you’re waiting for the Raider score..you know the game is over or late in the 4th…and part of you is thinking..”I bet we won or are winning big”.

You’re excited cuz you can’t wait to blurt out “YES”.

Then, you hear ‘4th quarter and it’s ALL Dolphins…they lead Oakland 35-13 late in the 4th.

Then….you just have that sick feeling of disgust and “you gotta be kidding me”.

I’ve had enough of that crap.

Turn it around….somebody make a play. Quit ruining my weekends.

Thanks.
    ————————————-

I used to puke. No bull. Kinda beyond that now.

• Raider guy

What about Chris Johnson at the end of the game.
    Man…some games take like three or four days for me to let go of…I am sure that ain’t right, but what am I gonna do?

• WinAGame

Kiwi_Blade Says:
    October 11th, 2012 at 9:58 pm
    UK odds makers have us 3rd worst team in the NFL
    ————————————-

They are being too kind.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

theghostronin79 Says: If they win Sunday, I’ll be happy not elated,
    If they Lose, I’ll be bummed but not crushed.////////////It sucks they made me feel this way, too. Even after 34 years and in my twenties back then, not a kid. If they were 1 and 3 with hard fought games, great coaching and heart breaking losses, I would still be elated or crushed with a win or a loss. But not after seeing the product they put on the field vs. Miami and Dungver. But they could get my passion back with even a loss with effort on Sunday and then climbing back to 4 and 4. Because, win, lose or tie Raider Nation ’till I die. We shall see.

• DJ Johnny

I love it now when the experts say we are the worst..or close to worse in league cuz I hope players hear, read and see that stuff and they take it personally.

Seems all I hear is delusional comments from the players like they are so “shocked” they don’t have any takeaways, cuz gee whiz they’ve been playing so well how can this be?

My lockerroom speech would be to say “hey guys..everyone says we suck. In fact they think we are worst in the league and who can blame ‘em. No matter how good you THINK you are you are being judged by how many games you win….period. Go prove everybody wrong”.

• beechams gay lover

anyone seen beechy dawg? he must be over at antoines again. beechy wants me to ask you guys if penile enlargers work. he needs some help in that area

• DJ Johnny

I’d also tell McClain before the game: “You know that they were laughing at you on NFLN the other day? You know what everyones saying about you? They’re saying Al Davis was a fool to draft you. They say you basically robbed him when he gave u all that money. They say you’re a bust. They say you’re slow and have no heart; that everything you did at Alabama was because of the guys in front of you. They say you are one of the weakest links in the defense.”

“How do u feel about that Rolando? Are they right? Are they gonna laugh at you again on tv this week?”

• Kiwi_Blade

I would love to be a fly on the wall when DA makes his half time speech.

“Rolando – jog a little faster”

“Rolando – run with hair on fire”

• blackandsilverside

DJ Johnny Says:
    October 11th, 2012 at 10:36 pm

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

DJ,

Unfortunately, it just won’t work. The only thing that would work on this guy is an ax handle across the head, for getting smart with a guard on the chain gang in Alabama.

In AD’s name let us pray:

“Please Al, it been many years since my last confession. Much of that time has been spent disrespecting you, pointing out that in final decade you had a horribly diseased mind.

Answer our prayers regarding McClain, and somehow get him cut from the team. You know you did wrong drafting him to a contract that guaranteed him $25M.

Hear our prayers. In AD’s name, we speak.”

• blackandsilverside

beechams gay lover Says:
    October 11th, 2012 at 10:30 pm
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Gay Lover,

I think the final solution is either and implant or an air pump.

• fangsraiders

WHY RAIDER DEFENSE SUCKS? = TOO MANY STUPID BABOONS….look at the defense that won the last superbowl….ITS MOSTLY WHITE!!!!!!!!!!!

• blackandsilverside

fangsraiders Says:
    October 11th, 2012 at 11:22 pm
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Baboons ?? Hmmmmm…….well I just looked at photos of NYG’s defensive starters in the Superbowl and 8 out of 11 were human, and afro-American.

Your point is ??

• fangsraiders

Blackandsilverside Says:
    October 11th, 2012 at 11:35 pm
    fangsraiders Says:
    October 11th, 2012 at 11:22 pm
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Your point is ??====================== the RAIDERS DEFENSE …can’t you read?…..another baboon to cement my point

• Pingback: Posts about The Raiders From Other Great Blogs issue #1 | Raiders Central | Oakland Raiders Blog

Defensive tackle Tommy Kelly is not practicing today as a result of a sore foot. Not sure if this qualifies as a setback, given he practiced in a limited capacity Wednesday.
    Fellow starting defensive tackle Richard Seymour still is battling a sore knee. Therefore, it’s likely that primary backup Desmond Bryant will see more playing time inside, with rookie Christo Bilukidi also in line for more snaps.

***

Michael Turner is lickin his chops

go Bryant & Bilukidi !!

if the coaching staff is dumb enough to have Tyvon Branch cover Tony Gonzalez, I predict he’ll have 12 catches for 150 yards and 2 TD’s

Joe Biden just proved an old saying true tonight:

Debating against some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn’t matter how good of a chess player you are, they are simply going to knock over the pieces, poop on the board, and strut around like they just won.

It took a lot of butter knives in a lot of electrical outlets to make Joe Biden the man he is today.

Question:

Was somebody tickling Joe from behind last night??

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

I’m watching the Debate right now. Biden is exposing the Republican agenda of Top Down economics very well.

• DT42

Kiwi_Blade Says:
    October 11th, 2012 at 10:41 pm

I would love to be a fly on the wall when DA makes his half time speech.

“Rolando – jog a little faster”

“Rolando – run with hair on fire”
    ——————————————–

But that mean that DA is making a halftime adjustment. That doesn’t happen.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Mitt Robme……………I like it.

• Just Fire Baby

CNN’s “Fact-check” just ripped Biden a new one.

They had him at 7 “falses” to Ryan’s 3.

• http://www.safc.com/page/StadiumofLightDetail/0,,10281~1706060,00.html neilb

From outside the US…

Most news shows overhere were down on the Biden antics.Said it was not “presidential”.

• Just Fire Baby

The Mitt said let Michigan fail, was a headline of an op-ed piece he didn’t write. Lie

BO met Bibi “a dozen times”. Lie

BO met with Bibi “more than any other leader”. Lie

Ryan’s Medicare would cost seniors $6,400. Lie

Biden’s claim that “he was there and told them it wouldn’t work” on the two wars on “the credit card”. Lie, he voted for both actually as well.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Neilb Says:
    October 12th, 2012 at 5:15 am
    From outside the US…

——————
    Sure, uh huh.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

JFB, I’m quite sure there were NO mis statements by Ryan, huh?

• http://www.safc.com/page/StadiumofLightDetail/0,,10281~1706060,00.html neilb

Just saying Kell – makes little difference overhere who wins,but interesting to watch.

• Just Fire Baby

Romney writes a long op-ed piece about GM needing to go through a structured bankruptcy, basically what ended up happening, and talks about his love for GM from his family background and wanting to keep it alive moving forward.

The editor writes an opinion piece right next to it headlined “Romney says let Michigan fail” and they attach the quote to Mitt.

Unbelievable.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell
  • http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Neilb Says:
    October 12th, 2012 at 5:25 am

—————–
    “over here” where?

• Just Fire Baby

There were 3 according to CNN’s fact check, I am just going off what they reported.

The $716 million from Medicare is the same as Biden’s claim about the $6,400 added cost to Ryan’s plan. I guess it is the same.

The Death Panel thing that Biden made fun of (effectively I would add) and one other on troop drawdowns.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Ryan comes off as an Idealouge, Biden comes off as a Realist.

“Ideology is the science of idiots”

-John Quincy Adams.

• Just Fire Baby

Did you even read the link you just posted?

YOUR LINK, says everything I just did.

Mitt wrote a piece, THE EDITOR ADDED HIS OPINIONATED HEADLINE TO IT, and everyone attaches the quote to Mitt.

YOUR LINK, also states that a structured bankruptcy, what Mitt wanted, is what ended up happening, lol.

• http://www.safc.com/page/StadiumofLightDetail/0,,10281~1706060,00.html neilb

Kell…

The north-east of England.Click my name.

• Just Fire Baby

Kell,

I actually thought Biden did very well and probably did win. I thought Ryan didn’t win the back and forths.

But all the polls I have seen so far, had Ryan slightly winning.

I didn’t have an issue with the grinning, but I guess a lot of people did.

• Just Fire Baby

I think they should let the next two debates be like last night.

Jump around on topics, let them have a little back and forth.

That’s what people want to hear, off the cuff stuff, not some canned prerehearsed speech on a topic.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Just Fire Baby Says:
    October 12th, 2012 at 5:33 am
    Did you even read the link you just posted?

YOUR LINK, says everything I just did.

————————–
    In the link, Romney was absolutely opposed to Govt investment in the Auto Industry. That’s the key difference.

• http://sweden.com Klas Tjorborn

Who cares about your debates. 0bama going to win anyways. Debates are jokes. Both guys lie and nobody calls them out.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

The first poll I saw had Biden winning……..

• http://sweden.com Klas Tjorborn

Debates on this blog are more interesting.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

KoolKell Says:
    October 12th, 2012 at 5:28 am
    Neilb Says:
    October 12th, 2012 at 5:25 am

—————–
    “over here” where?
    ———————–
    I’m in Zurich right now, and I’m asked about the presidential elections everyday. 0bama 0bama 0bama, seriously, it’s all I get.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

My wife’s uncle in Zurich watched the first debate,and thought 0bama did well ……………….

• http://www.safc.com/page/StadiumofLightDetail/0,,10281~1706060,00.html neilb

Kell…

There’s a lot of coverage of the US election in the UK,and why not? You’re the last superpower and British politics is incredibly boring.

• http://sweden.com Klas Tjorborn

Sweden is the next super power. We will take over world with our Aryan might.

• Just Fire Baby

**************************

Yes, opposed to Gov’t investment. He wanted a structured corporate bankruptcy to help the company comeback leaner and stronger.

Was he right? Maybe not, so far in the short-term he hasn’t been.

But he never said Let Detroit fail, that was the headline the editor used. The whole point of the Mitt’s column was how he thinks he could fix GM and HELP Detroit.

• http://www.safc.com/page/StadiumofLightDetail/0,,10281~1706060,00.html neilb

Klas Tjorborn Says:
    October 12th, 2012 at 5:57 am
    Sweden is the next super power. We will take over world with our Aryan might

==================================================

Long boats again?!
    —-
    Yes! Long boats and long bongs! We are coming for you America!

• http://sweden.com Klas Tjorborn

Klas forgot to say happy Lief Erickson Day to everyone on blog!

• MikieG

“We have to do a better job coming out after halftime and establishing SOMETHING, whether that be offense, defense or in the kicking game,” Raiders coach Dennis Allen said.

++++++++++++

Yes Dennis, you have to come out in the second half and DO SOMETHING…its kinda what every other team does…

SMFH…

• SilverNBlackPA

++++++++++++

He’s 100% right about that.

Mornin’ Nation.