Raiders hit the road, hope to hit back this time

By Steve Corkran
Thursday, October 11th, 2012 at 3:45 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders are one day away from boarding a plane for Atlanta in advance of their game against the Falcons on Sunday. This time, they are hopeful of faring better than they did the first two times they left the friendly confines of the Oakland Coliseum.
In the first road game, the Raiders led the Miami Dolphins 10-7 at halftime, only to watch the Dolphins outscore them 28-3 in the second half. The Denver Broncos scored all 27 points in the second half in turning a 10-6 lead into a rout.
“We have to do a better job coming out after halftime and establishing something, whether that be offense, defense or in the kicking game,” Raiders coach Dennis Allen said.
The biggest culprit is the way the Raiders performed on third-down plays in both games, Allen said.
“When you don’t get off the field on third down on defense, you play a lot of plays. When you play a lot of plays, you get tired, you get worn down. Then, offensively we’ve got to find ways in the second half to sustain drives and that will help our defense.”
Defensive tackle Richard Seymour said he wishes he had the answers as to why the Raiders played well in the first half of the team’s first two road games and so poorly in the second half.
“In the first half of games, we’ve definitely been right where we needed to be,” Seymour said. “It’s still a ball game. The second half, we haven’t come out and executed as well.”
The Raiders worked hard on finding out ways to carry the momentum from the first half of road games into the second half, Seymour said.
“If I knew all of it, I would definitely pass the word along to my teammates and we would get it done,” Seymour said. “That’s some of the things we’re working through at this point. As a player, you have to look yourself in the mirror, first and foremost, and say, ‘I have to do a better job,’ and everyone has to take that same approach.”

– Allen said he is hopeful of seeing defensive end Andre Carter make his Raiders deubt on Sunday. However, he isn’t certain if that’s going to happen just yet.
“He’s getting closer every day,” Allen said. “He’s had 2 ½ weeks of work getting back into football shape. (Wednesday) was the first time he actually practiced in pads. I’m getting more comfortable with where he’s at.”
Carter said he’s ready to roll. It says here, the Raiders use Carter sparingly, predominantly on third-down passing downs or obvious passing situations.

– Allen, defensive coordinator Jason Tarver and offensive coordinator Greg Knapp are fond of talking about the need for more explosive plays on offense and cutting down on the number of such plays defensively.
The so-called “explosive plays” are runs of 12 yards or longer and passes of 16 yards or longer.
Through four games, the Raiders defense allowed 34 explosive plays — 25 passes, 9 runs. Three in each category resulted in touchdowns.
The Raiders offense amassed 26 explosive plays during the same games — 22 passes, 4 runs. Two of those plays resulted in touchdowns, both on runs.

– Knapp said he is confident that the Raiders run game is on the verge of breaking out, and it has more to do with the way the players are looking in practice than the fact the Falcons allow an average of 5.4 yards rushing through five games.
Allen sounded just as confident, when asked a day earlier about the status of the run game.
“It’s more from our self-examination,” Knapp said. “We’ve done a good job of really diagnosing, OK, what are our strengths and weaknesses in the run game? What should we do more of in our strengths?
“And then having two weeks of practice, we had two good days during the bye week and the bonus day on Monday, of our line working together and really doing a fine job. So I’m excited. I’m looking forward to it to see the results of the good work that’s been put in.”
Right offensive tackle Willie Smith said he and his linemates are looking forward to an offense geared more toward the run.
“Any lineman, you would love to run the ball,” Smith said. “Definitely we should run the ball more. Hopefully we’ll do that. I don’t know what the game plan is, but just keep working and whatever they call be ready to go out and perform it.”
Running back Darren McFadden is champing at the bit hearing about the call for more runs from quarterback Carson Palmer.
“Oh, yeah, I’m always up for that,” McFadden said. “You want to put it in my hands more, I’m loving it. It’s something a running back likes — the more carries, the better the chances are of getting big runs.”

– Defensive tackle Tommy Kelly missed practice today with a foot injury he suffered in practice a day earlier. Allen doesn’t seem too concernd about the severity of the injury.
“We chose to keep him out today,” Allen said. “I fully anticipate that he’ll practice tomorrow and be OK to play. But, again, we’ll evaluate that tomorrow and see where we’re at. He seems to think he’s going to be alright.”

• AmysInCharge

I will be in Kaanapali during month of January, hooking up with Hawaiin Raider at the cave in the Hyatt,..old fool kell, I wont be blogging while there,…are you remotely aware at all how sick you are?…have you ever tried life without coming here and being humiliated by dudes half your age?…you must enjoy it, youve been doing it for years, ever since you stumbled upon the internet. (and havent closed on a house since)…by the way old fool, my bud at Remax in San Jose, has over 300 listings right now, closed about 20 this week alone, …he doesnt hang in a sports blog all day and night, and while on vacation.

• Macho Man Randy Savage

Man, reading Knapps comments makes me want to cry. He has convinced himself the running game is on the verge of being great, when the facts state its on the verge of being the worst in the league… Knapp would be a heck of a politician.

• Macho Man Randy Savage

Bench slowlando! Fire Knapp! 13-3. there you go.

• R8ER MIKE

lol Amys.. hes not on “vacation”. hes just visiting !!
    and trust me you and I have sold as many houses
    in the past three years as he has !!

• Marks hair

Knapps an idiot..

• boss01

As soon as AC comes back Slo needs to start riding the pine

• StudMuffin

KoolKell Says:
    October 12th, 2012 at 8:33 am

Oakland is fresh off a bye week that came at an inauspicious time (to say the least), considering the Raiders were blown out in Denver in Week 4. The secondary was destroyed, while the front seven struggled to put pressure on Peyton Manning (zero sacks). If Tommy Kelly, Richard Seymour and Co. can’t beat the Atlanta Falcons’ offensive line at the point of attack, Matt Ryan will carve up the back four. The Raiders are 30th in points allowed. In fact, despite having a bye, Oakland has still allowed a league-high 55 points in the third quarter, which speaks to poor halftime adjustments. On the other hand, Atlanta has been a great second-half team thus far, pulling out games late in each of the past two weeks. #OAKvsATL
    ———-
    WHY ARE YOU CUTTING AND PASTING COMMENTS FROM NFL DOT COM, MAKING IT LOOK LIKE IT’S YOUR COMMENTS?

• Marks hair

Wow huff still at corner… ryan will have a career day.. gonzalez too.

• Macho Man Randy Savage

I hear you, Huffy at corner…When Huff plays safety he looks like a corner, when he plays corner he looks like a safety… the truth is he is a second string DB.

• Macho Man Randy Savage

What are the odds Knapp makes it out of October as the playcaller? Please dust off ol faithful Al Saunders, Knapp is clueless.

• Violent Hands

Lastest practice pics seem to show alot more of Al Saunders

• DEATHROW 55

If curry gets his wheels back ( trainers need to give him some HGH) then I like this order:
    Curry, Burris, wheeler,
    and if you want to run da 3-4 let’s do this
    Soto or curry, McCain , Burris, Carter or Tolli
    Wheeler would be the rotational fresh body on 3 rd down.

• R8ER MIKE

Violent Hands Says:
    October 12th, 2012 at 9:37 am
    Lastest practice pics seem to show alot more of Al Saunders

***********************************
    thats good news !!

• theghostronin79

360.Macho Man Randy Savage Says:
    October 12th, 2012 at 9:31 am

==================

It depends on how committed they are to WINNING, Versus how committed they are to running their systems with “THEIR” guys…..

So far, I’m led to believe that winning plays second fiddle to their systems and staff.

Of course results take time to measure but we as fans are impatient. It’s not our club or investment of time and plans. So it’s easy to say “Cut, fire, trade, swap, release….”

Seems like we gotta Wreck another season just to find out what they’re doing isn’t working.

• Turducken

I like this picture of Crawford. This is how every single player and coach should feel/look until we win by blowing out a good team. But alas, they do not. Play this guy, couldn’t hurt at this point.

• DEATHROW 55

My cuz is a cheese head and had some good things about Vic Soto as well as some other fudge packers fans him and carter on the other side would be a big jump in qb pressure, so Hey Dumb Fuggkck Allen pull your head out and realize Shaughnessy ain’t gettin in done move his azz to the left already and Houston inside. Common sence.

• R8RFAN818

Raiders 27
    ATL 23

• guest123

theghostronin79 Says:
    October 12th, 2012 at 9:43 am
    360.Macho Man Randy Savage Says:
    October 12th, 2012 at 9:31 am

==================

*********

I think I agree with your take that the system and its base algorhythm supercede importance of the goal of winning. I’ve seen some very smart companies and consultants with strings of letters behind their names on business cards produce plans that don’t have a lick of sense. But they are so studied, so smart. If you don’t understand the plan, it must be not within your small capabilities of thought. Leave deep thinking to the experts they say.

So Reggie came in and cleaned house and ushered in a new day of free thinking, trusting that the good faith in his rookie coach was going to lead to some inspired decisions. He gave him just enough rope to choke himself instead.

Sometimes, people need to be ‘handled’ for their own good. Not necessarily by an oppressive owner micromanaging day to day operations. But enough that they stay within their capabilities and focus on their limited role. Dennis Allen made some poor choices but really he shouldn’t have had that much power from the getgo.

I’ve worked with some very powerful organizations who produce some BS work, and every time I call them on lousy impressive looking work (but still trash) I am the bad guy that has to wave the common sense flag in their face. You see a lot of high ranking people and decision makers who don’t know how to operate in business environments at the ground floor, too busy sipping lattes at 50,000 ft level.

The org. needs more elbow grease and a little more centralized management processes streaming down and not up. The attempt to completely gut what the Raiders had last year inside with the same personnel is the type of decision that comes from muckymucks who don’t know ground floor operations.

• MikieG

I expect Atlanta to score on every drive because our defense sucks a$$ and cannot get off the field.

I expect the Raiders offense to kick a field goal every 4th possession and perhaps 1 touchdown all day…

Final Score.
    42-l6–Atlanta–

Just being realistic folks, I have seen NOTHING from this team to indicate otherwise. You think the Mile High Beating was bad..Good Lord..wait till Roddy White, Julio Jones, Tony Gonzo, Michael Turner, and Matt Ryan have a go at this Defense..at Home..in a Dome..on turf…

Im probably going to bet my student loans and my mortgage on this game…Should have everything paid off by Wednesday and be debt free.

• R8RFAN818

Will we have an interception soon? We need PlAYMAKERS man…sick and tired of the BS fellas.

• guest123

********

Don’t do it. That’s a trap bet based on emotion. I remember a game two years ago. We came off a humiliating early season loss and were heading into Denver as heavy underdogs. Then we ended up whipping them 59-14. Anything can happen. Don’t make sucker bets to attempt to pay off your mortgage or student loans.

• R8RFAN818

Week 6 might be a loss
    Week 7 we have the Jags at home…W
    Week 8 we go to KC – MUST WIN
    Week 9 we have the Bucs at home….W

We can be 4-4 through week 9! We can do it man…let’s see how much heart our team has….

• R8RFAN818

FYI – I’ve been following these threads for yrs…finally posting!

• DJ Johnny

366.DEATHROW 55 Says:
    October 12th, 2012 at 9:52 am

…and what’s the problem with playing Carter. I don’t know how good DA and crew think this Raiders team is..but after the Denver thrashing you’d think they’d have a clue that it’s not that good.

Getting Carter was agood move from where I sit right now. Play the guy. He syas he’s 100% and ready to go so why not throw him out there. DA says he’s not sure…well what are u waiting for?

You think we can handle Atlanta w/o changing things from what we’ve been?

Maybe he won’t be effective, maybe he will, but u gotta at least try right?

After this wknd. and if we’re at 1-4 do they realize that the season is bascially over? A

• DJ Johnny

…1-4 Saints team is different from a 1-4 Raiders team.

• theghostronin79

Guest, I like the way you relate business with actual business. It paints a better picture than just saying….”Well it sucks, and so and so isn’t doing their job”

Well, there’s alot more to it.

And the Muckety-Mucks comment was right on.

• R8RFAN818

Week 6 might be a loss
    Week 7 we have the Jags at home…W
    Week 8 we go to KC – MUST WIN
    Week 9 we have the Bucs at home….W

• theghostronin79

373.R8RFAN818 Says:
    October 12th, 2012 at 10:11 am
    FYI – I’ve been following these threads for yrs…finally posting!

===============

Same as me, only I started posting before the last draft.

Welcome

• R8RFAN818

===============

Same as me, only I started posting before the last draft.

Welcome
    ******************
    Thanks man! So how are we feeling about this weekend? We losin’ by more than 14?

• DJ Johnny

I realize that Carter isn’t going to ‘save’ us but give me something else to latch onto instead then.

IF he is effective, then it will really help the pass rush which we desperately need.

Seriously, how can it hurt? Will we be LESS effective at getting to the passer? Not possible.

We’re talking about a defense that didn’t force a SINGLE PUNT last week….teams (inc. Pittsburgh) are doing whatever the heck they want with and to us.

If not for a ROOKIE like Burris getting to Big Ben on that 3rd and nine…at least pressuring him…we probably lose that game and sit at 0-4.

• Thec

What up Nation?

• Thec

Raider will do the improbable and somehow beat Atlanta.

• theghostronin79

Well….My head says we’re gonna get the SH*T stomped out of us

My gut tells me that, this is exactly the kind of game that our Raiders Win and make the Sports world say “WTF?”

And my heart is staying out of the way of such matters now. I’m just gonna observe, look for any adjustments off the bye, watch for good points, and try not to get too high or low based on the outcome.

• Thec

1 NATION…

OUT

• guest123

*********

This is exactly how I was feeling before we went into Mile High and sh*t stomped the donkeys in 2010. Keep the faith.

• The Big Banana

At least this loss should be easier to stomach, as I’ll be expecting a thorough thrashing from the dirty birds. Anything less than a thrashing, I’ll take as a positive.

• inonewordraider

you can’t tell me so’oto or crawford can’t do better than shaughnessey or houston on third down

• The Big Banana

Sho-not so-nasty has to be one of the biggest disappointments this year.

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

The Big Banana Says:
    October 12th, 2012 at 10:27 am
    Sho-not so-nasty has to be one of the biggest disappointments this year.

============================================

Seymour’s big endorsement of #77 is looking more and more ridiculous every game.

• The Big Banana

Glad it’s an early game. Tired of having my Sunday afternoons ruined. Get that garbage out of the way in the morning and put it in the rear view mirror.

• The Big Banana

RaiderDuck Says:
    October 12th, 2012 at 10:28 am
    The Big Banana Says:
    October 12th, 2012 at 10:27 am
    Sho-not so-nasty has to be one of the biggest disappointments this year.

============================================

——

Yeah, that and the top 5 prediction. What a baffoon.

• theghostronin79

*********

==============

How satisfying was that on so many levels huh? I was so tickled to see McFadden come completely uncorked…He had 4 TD’s if I’m not mistaken.

• DJ Johnny

387.inonewordraider Says:
    October 12th, 2012 at 10:26 am

That IS what they are telling you.

• guest123

The Big Banana Says:
    October 12th, 2012 at 10:29 am

**********

You have a very fast digestive system. That sh*t stays with me all afternoon and into Tuesday. I wish I could process losses so easily.

• The Big Banana

Guest123 Says:
    October 12th, 2012 at 10:38 am
    The Big Banana Says:
    October 12th, 2012 at 10:29 am

**********

—–

Lol, I hear ya. Normally I’m the same way, but this one should be easier to digest knowing what to expect. 1st 3 losses, I was expecting much more of this team, and realized they were cooking with artificial flavoring and sweeteners. Now that I’ve vomited that crap up and got it out of my system, I will just watch the cook make a mess of the kitchen.

• theghostronin79

394.guest123 Says:
    October 12th, 2012 at 10:38 am
    The Big Banana Says:
    October 12th, 2012 at 10:29 am

**********

=========

It’s rediculous how much I can let it effect me sometimes. I’ve found myself being short tempered with my Daughter, or my girlfriend makes a delicious meal and I won’t feel hungry or just pick at it. I hate being physically dragged down….But hey, it’s my fault. I just got too emotionally invested.

• DJ Johnny

I have no idea what our owner is thinking…or our GM…or our HC.

I wish I did.

Do the blowout losses really matter to them? Is Mark “upset” about getting blownout in Denver and Miami? Is Reggie?

I have no idea if they are just chalking this season up to “learning some things” or what.

• theghostronin79

==============

LMAO…..Good way to put it. You nailed it.

• DEATHROW 55

SO WHO’S THE CB WERE DRAFTING NEXT YR, WE BETTER DRAFT MORE THAN ONE I’LL TELL U THAT, BURRIS WILL BE OUR STARTING MLB NEXT YR. I LIKE WHEELER HE’S SHOWN MORE HEART THAN MCCLAIN IN 4 GAMES VS MCCLAINS 3 YR TENURE.

• theghostronin79

==============

Take a peek at Manti Te’o from ND….