Thoughts from afar on Raiders loss to Falcons

Stayed behind for Sunday’s game against the Atlanta Falcons. For quotes and a first-hand account, read beat writer Jerry McDonald’s game story and notebook. Here’s my take on what I watched before covering the 49ers-Giants game at Candlestick Park.
The Raiders were more than prepared for this game coming off their bye week. Even so, they lost their first game after a bye for the 10th straight season.
Yet, few can fault the Raiders for coming out flat Sunday. They had the ball late in the game, with the score tied, and well within Sebastian Janikowsk’s field-goal range.
Then came Carson Palmer’s ill-advised pass for Denarius Moore that was intercepted by cornerback Asante Samuel and returned seemingly for a backbreaking touchdown.
The Raiders showed moxie by responding with a long drive to tie the game. Their only sin was leaving too much time on the clock, 40 seconds, for the Falcons to mount a game-deciding drive.
Moral victories don’t mean much in the NFL. Yet, the Raiders can take from this game the knowledge that are talented enough to hang with the best teams in the league.

– Beating teams such as the Falcons entails cutting down on the mistakes. On Sunday, the Raiders had plenty, certainly far too many.
They committed 12 penalties for 110 yards, whereas they were called for 19 for 143 yards in their first four games combined. The Palmer interception and fumble, as well as a Darren McFadden fumble, certainly didn’t help, either.

– Tight end Brandon Myers went the first four games without a dropped pass. In fact, he caught 16 of the 17 passes thrown his way in those games.
On Sunday, Myers was unable to hang on to a pass from Palmer in the end zone late in the second quarter. A Raiders official asked if I am sure the ball wasn’t deflected.
Based off the replays I saw, it didn’t appear as if the ball was deflected, though the defender’s arm no doubt distracted Myers.
Either way, I’m sure Myers will tell you that he should have caught the ball, which arrived at the chest region and in position for him to get his hands on the ball.

– McFadden rushed 27 times for 70 yards. He now stands at 271 yards on 84 carries through five games, an average of 3.2
In McFadden’s defense, he played hurt most of the game and had two sizable runs negated by penalty. Still, it’s puzzling how Mike Goodson amassed 59 yards on four carries and seemed to get past the line of scrimmage with relative ease.
Coincidence? Who knows.

– Saw a Tweet before the game that said Janikowski converted a 64-yard field goal in pre-game warm-ups. Given that, it’s a tad surprising that coach Dennis Allen bypassed a chance at a 58-yard attempt in the first quarter.
Allen no doubt didn’t want to give the Falcons the ball at their own 48 if Janikowski missed the attempt. As it turned out, Shane Lechler’s punt went into the end zone, resulting in a 28-yard difference in field position.
You make the call on that one. It says here, Janikowski is on the team because he has the ability to make such kicks. It’s for other teams to punt in that situation.

– Sure, the Raiders are 1-4, a spot where few teams emerge and make it to the playoffs. However, the Raiders are about to embark upon a three-game stretch in which they have a realistic shot at evening their record.
They host the Jacksonville Jaguars (1-4), play the Kansas City Chiefs (1-5) on the road, then host the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-3) in the next 15 days.
If the Raiders reach 4-4, the playoffs remain a distinct possibility. Losing any of the next three games puts a damper on the Raiders playoff aspirations.

– The Raiders went their first four games without notching an interception. To a man, the Raiders said they were on the verge of breaking through.
Sure enough, the Raiders intercepted Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan three times Sunday. Michael Huff, Joselio Hanson and Tyvon Branch each picked Ryan once.

– The Raiders made the Falcons one-dimensional by shutting down their running game from the outset.
Michael Turner and the two other running backs amassed only 30 yards on 14 carries. Time and again, the Raiders stuffed the Falcons on short-yardage plays, including a couple of times near the goal line.

Steve Corkran

• aig-raiders

Matt Ryan has a 29-4 home record. We played the only undefeated team in the league and forced them to win with a last second 55 yd fg. I have no problem wiht yesterday’s loss. I think we gained more for our team in that loss than the W vs Pitt. Pitt we were just lucky that they played sloppy with the ball handling.

• bigsnow81

Eastoaklandraider Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 12:03 pm
    DutchRaider77 Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 11:54 am
    @eastoaklandraider

What do you think Hue did to get black-balled so badly…thought he did a good job playcalling to end up an OC somewhere.
    —————-
    hue was AL’S guy and where was hue before the raiders not an OC. But he came to this org with a horrible O in place and turned it around rather quickly I guess most of you forget that. if other teams dont want to hire him they have a problem because all Hue did was produce numbers and if he were still here I GUARANTEE we would have a top 5 O and be 4-1 at the worst right now and this blog would be on his sack but he never got his chance and now all of you who said he had to go must now deal with this crap situation we are stuck with now rebuilding after we as fans have waited 10 plus years for a winner.
    *******************************************************
    Thanks for the “Gaurantee”

• bcz24

***********************
    Ignorance is bliss.

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

The great thing about coaching hypotheticals is they can never be disproven. So someone can say “If Coach X was here right now, I GUARANTEE we’d be 4-1,” and there’s no way to prove him/her wrong.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

R8ER MIKE Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 10:59 am
    R8ER MIKE Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 10:20 am
    GOOD AFTERNOON NATION !!
    and my GreenParty brothers !!

******************************
    OK… well then fuk you guys !!!
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

LOL
    Long Live The ODB!!

• bigsnow81

What is a guarantee on a hypothetical statement that can not be proven?

• bigsnow81

RaiderDuck Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 12:06 pm
    *********************************************************

Beat me to it.

• Raider-in-PA

I REALLY want to believe Palmer is among the elite QBs in the league… But every time he drops back, my sphincter tightens up a little…

I only saw the second half yesterday, did our new pass rusher Andre Carter even see the field??

Also, Burris is no joke… McLame should take some notes…

• bcz24

**************************
    Tell me how Hue would have fixed the $40 million cap deficit. Tell me what Hue would have done with his 5 draft picks after the 3rd round. Tell me how Hue would have dealt with the injuries in the secondary. Tell me how Hue would have reclaimed the respect of the locker room after the team quit on him, and he pasted them in the post game presser. Tell me how Hue’s utter lack of discipline would have made this team improve.

Ya know. Revisionist history is brilliant. You so conveniently forget that Hue’s offense was horrible in the second half of most games, and how his team was terrible in the second half of the season.

• The Beeech Dawg

Any of you dorks ever eat 7 eggs benedict + 5 espressos then take a huge unannounced dump in the hot tub while a drunk skank is rubbing your ding dong?

Just happened to me, and when my hot turds started rising to the top I told her it was my new surprise chocolate sauce jets, yikes

Anyway, she thankfully finished off the hand-jiggity and texted her friend that my jacuzzi is “totally cool, but there’s a funny smell”

Guess the Beeech Diggity barely got out of another tight jam, huh brahs

• bigsnow81

Raider-In-PA Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 12:10 pm
    *********************************************************

I bet your boyfriend enjoys it when you do that.

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

Bcz24 Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 12:04 pm
    796.DKnight007 Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 12:01 pm
    DA and Tarver going to a soft prevent with 40 seconds was stupid of course.

They should know better….especially the freakin physicist in Tarver?
    ******************
    Yeah, for the 93rd time they weren’t in a prevent defense. Atlanta was running receivers down the field to open up the underneath stuff. Were the supposed to let Roddy and Julio just streak down the sidelines? Would you have been happier if they brought a zero blitz and Ryan hit Julio for a 50 yard TD pass? Watch the plays again. Really watch them, and you will see what I am talking about.

=========================================

THIS. If Tarver had sent the house and Julio Jones would have caught a big pass in single coverage, we’d all be lamenting that.

• DMAC

Game plan shouldn’t be 2 difficult for our next game.
    STOP MJD! We win!
    He’ll be pumped and ready to play hard, coming back home.

• DMAC

I don’t give a fk what anyone says, but when you’ve been getting pressure on the QB for most of the game, then suddenly you play 3 interior linemen.
    I call that PREVENT!

• Plunketthead

I am glad you mentioned Hue

DAILY REMINDER
    The pimp hand is a better coach then the pimp.

Tom righted the ship and without that foundation, Hue would have floundered just like he has before and is doing now

Whereas the Pimp Hand has been very succesful everywhere he goes.
    Look for him to get a head coaching job soon

Discuss

• eastoaklandraider

Seymour Bush Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 11:56 am
    you obviously will never get it bush. but huejax with cp3 and dmac healthy this offense would be a terror to deal with but somehow you cant see that.
    ================================================

No, what I SAW was a team that went 1-4 down the stretch, should have been 0-5, a team that did not score in 6 games in the second half, and a team that basically quit on Jackson. THAT’S what I saw.
    ————-
    ONCE AGAIN, lions game chuck B D fcks it up BUFF game chuck B D fcks it up Denver part 2 Chuck b D fcks it up SD finale chuck b D fcks it up. we scored enough points in each one of those games to win but chuck b fcks it up. thats 12-4 gents still hue gets no credit, and he did all that without a FULL OFSEASON, AS A ROOKIE HC WHICH DA IS, DMAC HURT, CARSON OFF THE COUCH,AND TONS OF PENALTIES. But despite all that the man gets no credit and he was a ROOKIE HC!!! but fck him right? lets fire him and bring a guy who coached a D that got torched by Hues O.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Bush just doesn’t get it. He is a Hue Hater…period.
    ===========================================

I am not a Hue hater. The National Football League is a Hue hater.

• bcz24

814.DMAC Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 12:16 pm
    I call that PREVENT!
    *****************
    We only had 3 downline man for the last 2 plays though. We had a 4 man front for the other 4 plays on the drive including 1 blitz

• DMAC

Wassup w/ Bergs?
    Dude must be real raw.
    Saw Brisiel get hurt and they replaced him w/ Parsons.
    Didn’t the kid play some RT in college?
    Smith is killing us.
    We need you false start Barnes.
    How about getting ready for ur ex-team?

• Raider-in-PA

Good one #811… Maybe your boyfriend would enjoy it if you did that too…

• DMAC

bcz24 Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 12:20 pm

814.DMAC Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 12:16 pm
    I call that PREVENT!
    *****************
    ======

Didn’t get a chance to watch it again. You may be right, but I didn’t like seeing 3 linemen in there at any moment towards the end of a game.

• RAIDERMAN99

Some random thoughts about yesterday’s heartbreaker…

Besides the Palmer pick-6, if there was one play that infuriated me, it was the early KRAPP call to run DMAC stretch left at the goal line which was stuffed for a 2 yard loss.

How many fkng times do we need to see this KRAPP play fail ? KRAPPY insists on running this POS play around the GL, when it clearly has no chance of success. Horrible call at a key moment, probable 4 pt swing. Fk you Krapp.

More…

I have been very hard on TITS. Still not sure what kind of GAME DAY HC he will turn out to be. Think he probably should have tried the 57 yd Jani FG early, but don’t think the decision to punt was horrible either.

Good CHALLENGE yesterday by TITS. He’s been solid on those so far.

I have not seen any discussion of TIT’S CLOCK MANAGEMENT on the game tying drive.

I was wondering WTF he was thinking by NOT taking a time out right before the HUGE gainer up the right sideline which nearly went for a TD.

I’m thinking ‘CALL a TO, MORON’ when the camera shows TITS excitedly imploring the RAIDS to hurry up to the LOS and run a play.

TITS sensed he had the Falcs on their heels and was going for the moment.

And TITS turned out to be RIGHT.

Luck or solid coaching ? Not sure, but you can’t argue with the result.

Good job, TITS.

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

Plunketthead Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 12:16 pm
    I am glad you mentioned Hue

DAILY REMINDER
    The pimp hand is a better coach then the pimp.

Whereas the Pimp Hand has been very succesful everywhere he goes.
    Look for him to get a head coaching job soon

Discuss

============================================

Can’t see Cable getting a head-coaching job again. He was an OK game manager who the players loved, but that was about it.

He will, however, be the ZBS equivalent of Bob Wylie: an in-demand o-line coach in this league until he retires.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

eastoaklandraider Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Seymour Bush Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 11:56 am
    ================================================

————-
    ===========================================

This is EXACTLY what I heard last year as we were dropping games. All of you Huge Jack sucka’s said it wasn’t his fault the defense sucked. I said, if he is an NFL worthy coach, he would FIX the defense. ALL OF YOU APOLOGISTS, said Jackson doesn’t coach defense. Well, now he is coaching defense. Admit you guys don’t know what the fook you are talking about.

• DMAC

The hit that Wheeler delivered on Ryan was DOPE!

• https://bigswede.com Klas Tjorborn

DKnight007 Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 12:01 pm
    DA and Tarver going to a soft prevent with 40 seconds was stupid of course.

They should know better….especially the freakin physicist in Tarver?

Ugh
    ===
    Klas understands why they did it. Remember what happened to Carolina?

• DMAC

Yeah, I know the special teams haven’t been great, but Lechler is horrible at penning guys inside the 20.
    Yeah I said it.

• DJ Johnny

801.aig-raiders Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Let’s not discredit it when we win games. We won that game fair and square against Pitt.

THEY are lucky WE were sloppy on many occasions..lucky when DHB slipped and they picked off that pass in the first. “Lucky” when they cheap shotted DHB and broke up that pass.

We lose enough to have the games we DO win discounted as “lucky”. Imo.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Plunketthead Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 12:16 pm
    I am glad you mentioned Hue

DAILY REMINDER
    The pimp hand is a better coach then the pimp.

Whereas the Pimp Hand has been very succesful everywhere he goes.
    Look for him to get a head coaching job soon

Discuss
    ===============================================

With all due respects to plunketthead I do not agree with him on some things, but he is 100% correct on this. When Cable took over this team, we would win one game and drop four in a row. Then we would win and drop three. Then two, then one. The team was poised to start stringing wins together. Jackson took over, and they finally won two in a row. Followed by dropping two. They won three!!! Followed by losing 4 of 5. Which is where we are now. Cable would have had us winning 9-11 games a year by now. Hue Jackson sucked schlongolo.

• https://bigswede.com Klas Tjorborn

Don’t call Allen ‘tits’. It is pathetic and lame.

• DJ Johnny

817.Seymour Bush Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 12:20 pm
    Bush just doesn’t get it. He is a Hue Hater…period.
    ===========================================

I am not a Hue hater. The National Football League is a Hue hater.

I don’t see you taking over as president of his fan club either anytime soon.

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

Klas Tjorborn Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 12:29 pm
    Don’t call Allen ‘tits’. It is pathetic and lame.

============================================

We’re talking about the same people who mock Reggie’s appearance and manner of speaking. Maturity is beyond them.

• bcz24

***********************
    Hue wasn’t the OC last year, he was the Head Coach. He is responsible for the defensive failures, he is responsible for the special teams failures, he is responsible for the NFL RECORD in penalties and penalty yardage, he is responsible for the offense not showing up in 4 of the last 5 games. He is responsible for the offense not scoring in the 4th quarter in 5 consecutive games.

• https://bigswede.com Klas Tjorborn

Did Oakofshow die?

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

Klas Tjorborn Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 12:34 pm
    Did Oakofshow die?

=========================================

Doubt we’re that lucky…

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Klas Tjorborn Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Did Oakofshow die?
    ========================================

Na, he is “parading” around the castro.

• eastoaklandraider

Bcz24 Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 12:05 pm
    ***********************
    Ignorance is bliss.
    ————-

no recant so thats the best you got.lol. your so right ignorance is bliss

• bcz24

no recant so thats the best you got.lol. your so right ignorance is bliss
    *********************
    Keep up junior. My next 2 posts clearly outline why Hue had to go.

• eastoaklandraider

Bcz24 Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 12:33 pm
    ***********************
    ——————–

you are hopeless that D belonged to AL And he wouldnt let anybody fck with it it was his way or the highway. remember the whole rob ryan fiasco and any other DC who thouht they were gonna come in here and run their D. you cant really be a RAIDERS fan an not know common knowledge.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

DJ Johnny Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 12:31 pm

817.Seymour Bush Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 12:20 pm
    Bush just doesn’t get it. He is a Hue Hater…period.
    ===========================================

I am not a Hue hater. The National Football League is a Hue hater.

I don’t see you taking over as president of his fan club either anytime soon.
    ================================================

Other than you guys and Hue’s mom, Hue has one person in his fan club right now. And that one fan of Hue Jackson IS Hue Jackson.

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

Seymour Bush Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 12:41 pm

And that one fan of Hue Jackson IS Hue Jackson.

==========================================

You forgot Mike Silver…

• Marks hair

Yes 2010 was a wasted season..

• hwnrdr

So…what happened after October 8th? Al did not have his hand on the D from the grave…sorry had to chime in with that one!

• bcz24

***********************
    All died prior to week 5. Hue made MANY changes to that team that Al never would have consented to, such as sign TJ Housh… Hue lobbied for it in camp, and Al told him hell no. We saw how that worked, and how Hagan has performed since returning to the team. HE is responsible for the players giving up. His team was notorius for second half let downs, in both the games and on the season. It was obvious at the end that they were not playing for him anymore. I was a Hue supporter because of his offense, until I took a step back in the offseason and really looked at the team.

• eastoaklandraider

Bcz24 Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 12:51 pm
    ***********************
    ————–
    cant fire and hire DC teach new D scheme mid season c’mon lol

• RAIDERMAN99

Would like to give TITS and TARVER some additional credit for finally benching, or at least limiting, MCLAME’S playing time.

Long overdue.

Next up…

ACTIVATE TP.
    PLAY TAIWAN.

Eventually…

FIRE KRAPP.

We might not be making the playoffs. Scratch that – we won’t be making the PLAYOFFS ?!?!?.

But there’s still a season to be played out.

Imperative that TITS doesn’t lose this team and utilizes the roster to it’s maximum potential.

2012 should be used as a springboard for the future.

• bcz24

cant fire and hire DC teach new D scheme mid season c’mon lol
    **************
    Nope, but as the HC you ARE responsible when the players dont execute the scheme.

• Marks hair

Beeeeeewww… thats the sound of this season..

• DKnight007

bcz24 Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 12:04 pm

796.DKnight007 Says:
    October 15th, 2012 at 12:01 pm
    DA and Tarver going to a soft prevent with 40 seconds was stupid of course.

They should know better….especially the freakin physicist in Tarver?
    ******************

^^^^^^^^
    Giving up yards to set up your opponent for a game winning FG, is pretty much a “prevent”. Especially with 40 secs left.

Cover the sidelines tighter and the middle of field. DA and Tarver should have known to sideline routes and cover Gonzo.

• DMAC

On a positive note….

We are currently ranked 18th against the run.
    Wooowhoooooo!